Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I have changed the posting schedule to be on a daily basis, partly due to reader request and partly because the parts look a lot shorter on the MB than they do in my Word document.

I had fun taking up Watson's pen. My first fandom was that of the original Star Trek; my second one was Sherlock Holmes. (I'm still trying to come up with a ST/LnC crossover. No viable ideas for one have developed yet. BTW, Does anyone know whether such a crossover has already been done? If so I would love to read it!) I am enjoying combining my second fandom with this, my fourth and most recent one. (The third was Forever Knight, in case anyone's curious. I've already written a short FK/LnC crossover.)

For the purposes of my story, I moved up the publication dates of The Time Machine and The Lost World. Their actual publications dates were 1895 and 1912 respectively. The former change was needed for my plot, and the latter for the in-joke which I could not resist including.

Again, feedback welcome.

cheers,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
That's a heck of an intuitive leap from not recognising the material. I'd be inclined to look for a new textile first...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Too short! Far too short!

But you've captured Watson's voice most accurately. And I laughed at his brush-off of Doyle's fiction. So very Watson!

I agree with Marcus that Holmes' time travel deduction was quite a leap just from the fabric of Clark's clothing, but combined with Wells' time travel story and the material in and style of Clark's glasses (I'm surprised he's still wearing them) it's a logical - if very imaginative - conclusion.

Glad you're posting daily, Lynn. I'm ready for tomorrow's chapter!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Well written. (Blue arrow, please.)

Elisabeth

R
Blogger
Blogger
R
This is great! I especially like the part where Watson makes slighting comments about Arthur Conan Doyle. The tone of the narrative really captures that of the original Sherlock Holmes stories.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Elisabeth:
Blue arrow, please.)
Corrected. Thanks for pointing that out, Elisabeth.

I'm purposely refraining from commenting just yet on the FDK for this part. I'll do so when I get ready to post part three. But I will say that I appreciate all feedback. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

cheers,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You have really gotten the tone of the original stories. But I would like to know how Holmes figured out that Clark had grown up on a farm.

Thanks VERY much for moving up the posting schedule. I am really looking forward to the rest of this story.

M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
(I'm still trying to come up with a ST/LnC crossover. No viable ideas for one have developed yet. BTW, Does anyone know whether such a crossover has already been done? If so I would love to read it!)

cheers,
Lynn
From The Stars by Carolyn B Schnall and To The Stars also by Carolyn B Schnall are ST:TNG/LnC crossovers.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
My thanks to everyone who has taken the time to leave me feedback.

Marcus: Were it the fabric alone, I would agree with you. That's why I mentioned the glasses and alluded to Holmes having made other (unspecified) observations as well.

Terry: I remember from your feedback in part one that you were planning to see how Watson would be portrayed. I'm glad you like this version. It has been years since I've read the original stories, so I was going from memory. (They are definitely on my mental "to re-read" list.)

Elisabeth: Thanks again for the reminder to use the blue arrow.

Rogue Chip: I just couldn't resist that, especially given Doyle's love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with his most famous characters. It just amused me to have the sentiment returned.

cookiesmom: I fear the farm explanation will not be in the story; partly because it would have slowed the story down and partly because I hadn't come up with an explanation for it. :-S

Part three will be on its way in the next few minutes.

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Just read this and off to read part 3!

I liked how you portrayed Watson and the deduction Holmes made with regards to the time travelling duo. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard