Corrina.

#71134 04/19/10 03:55 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Corrina,

An interesting premise!

I am enjoying learning along with Clark about your country. The links you included at the end wree quite helphful. Melbourne looks like a beautiful city. (And this from someone who is a country gal through and through.)

I'm looking forward to reading part two.

cheers,
Lynn

#71135 04/19/10 04:40 AM
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
This looks like a fun story and of course a great one with L&C. I love alternate beginning stories.

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
#71136 04/19/10 06:13 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Interesting premise. Certainly left me curious.

I am having a really hard time imagining Lois Lane with an Aussie accent. The image your writing has left me with is that her accent is a strong bush one (as if from somewhere out Lightning Ridge way). I've not known Melbournian's to have such strong accents (normally you have to live a little rural... or in Queensland *ducks*) but maybe seeing so much colloquial terminology is skewing my perception. Either way, great education lesson for the yanks and POMS out there on how people 'down under' speak a language of their own. smile

I am sure Clark will however make the correct choice and support the Sydney Swans. wink

Failing that, he needs to change codes and follow Union instead. dance

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
#71137 04/19/10 06:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Very interesting story. I'm not going to lie its hard to understand but I'm up for the challenge.

#71138 04/19/10 07:26 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I agree with the others - this is a very interesting premise and I am looking forward to see where this story goes.

Also, I can't actually imagine Lois with an Aussie accent - but I guess anything is possible in the multiple realities the writers write these stories.

Looking very forward to part 2! hyper

#71139 04/19/10 09:49 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
peep It's on the to-do list. But I have to catch up on the other WIPs first before starting a new one blush

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#71140 04/19/10 10:00 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Bonzer!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#71141 04/19/10 12:31 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Heh. Bloody West Coast supporters!

What a fun premise... very interesting, from one Melbournian to another, I'm looking forward to reading this.

Oh, and go cats!

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
#71142 04/19/10 03:40 PM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
yay! in addition to a new female hawk fic (i almost started cheering in class) i get to learn how to be an Aussie! yay!

#71143 04/19/10 06:22 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very nice! Looking for part 2!

Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#71144 04/19/10 07:00 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Fun concept but I have trouble seeing Lois as a sports reporter.

And with no Lois, I guess there is no Superman? ...yet!

Will this mean that the super suit colors will be brown and gold? smile

But why did razz Scardino razz have to be Lois's boyfriend?

Now, for the record, Melbourne is my favorite big city (big by my standards) in the whole world. I spent about 2 months there in 1999 - 2000.

Looking forward to more.
Bob

#71145 04/19/10 07:01 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Error sorry

#71146 04/19/10 07:03 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks for the FDK everyone.

Lynn I'm a country girl too, but my husband's job keeps me tied to the city for now.

Thanks for commenting.

Kathy I enjoy alternate beginnings too because you can take what you want from canon and leave the rest. Thanks!

Lisamaree Melbournians might not have such strong accents, but still use colloquialisms. It is really hard to write accent into dialogue.

In some ways, our language has become more Americanised the past twenty years. This fic is set fourteen years ago, and when I said it was possibly more characteristic of the eighties than the nineties, that was mostly what I was referring to.

I am sure Clark will however make the correct choice and support the Sydney Swans.
Not in my fic, he won't! laugh

Failing that, he needs to change codes and follow Union instead.
Your kiwi-ness is showing!

Thanks for leaving FDK.

Seme Thanks for reading. If there is something you don't understand, feel free to ask. I was concerned that if Clark asked about every little thing that was unfamiliar, the fic was going to get very monotonous.

DW Thanks for giving me some leeway with Lois. She has a backstory, which we'll get to.

Michael Thanks. This is going to be like a relaxed walk in the park, so there should be plenty of time for you to catch up.

Marcus laugh

Anagram

Bloody West Coast supporters!
Yep!! wink

For those not from Australia, the Eagles supporters who hassled Lois barrack for the West Coast Eagles.

What a fun premise... very interesting, from one Melbournian to another, I'm looking forward to reading this.
You can alert me to any facts/details I mess up!

Oh, and go cats!
Uh oh - I'm going to have a little fun with the Cats. But having those two flags in the trophy cabinet should ease any pain I inflict!

Thanks!

Sarah Wow! Thanks for your enthusiasm. Hopefully by the end, you will know more about Australia and will have enjoyed another LnC fic.

Sheila Thanks (and sorry about the reference to your name!)

Corrina.

#71147 04/19/10 07:07 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Bob Hopefully when we get to more of Lois's story, her love for sport will seem more reasonable.

No comment ... times 3!

Glad you enjoyed Melbourne!

Corrina.

#71148 04/19/10 08:45 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It's fun to see an alternative beginning with Lois as an Australian - oops, sorrie, and Aussie (Ossie!).

It's definitely fun to learn som Australian English, too! smile

Australia seems very beautiful, too. Myself, I'm just a sucker for the opera house in Sydney.

After reading the first part of this fic, however, I was thinking to myself... maybe it's a good thing that I don't live in Australia myself, considering that I'm a woman! (I don't mean that I hate sports - okay, I don't get that much out of it - but to be regarded as a "Sheila" all the time and to be spoken to by a gang of drunk guys the way Lois was and to have to think of that incident as a normal thing in life...)

Ann

#71149 04/19/10 11:38 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great idea for a story! And I always enjoy learning foreign languages. <g>

I'm a little intrigued by the "events" you refer to that happened in the summer of 1996, because I have no idea what you are talking about. (I guess we'll learn.) I usually don't follow sports much, and all my attention during July 1996 was taken up following the Olympics in Atlanta. (I was working as a police officer at the badminton venue.)

I will definitely be watching for each chapter you post on this one. Do you know how many you will have?

#71150 04/20/10 12:31 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by TOC:

After reading the first part of this fic, however, I was thinking to myself... maybe it's a good thing that I don't live in Australia myself, considering that I'm a woman! (I don't mean that I hate sports - okay, I don't get that much out of it - but to be regarded as a "Sheila" all the time and to be spoken to by a gang of drunk guys the way Lois was and to have to think or that incident as a normal thing in life...)
In modern Australian life virtually no one in the cities uses the "sheila" terminology these days. In the 15 years I lived in Sydney, I never heard any of the people I was around use it once (unless they were mimicking Croc Dundee) and one of my bosses was a fair dinkum rugby league yobbo (in many ways the rugby league fans are the worst type out there in my opinion).

BTW: The Opera House isn't all that impressive up close, but the Harbour Bridge is what I miss the most...

Sorry for Sydney-ising the thread FH... back to focusing on Melbourne we go. XD

Curious to see where you take us next and can't wait to see how you describe the hallowed ground. (although I appreciate it for another sport entirely - cricket).

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
#71151 04/20/10 04:34 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Me, I like alternate beginnings. A lot. So I'm already enjoying this. And I'm learning a bunch of Aussie slang, most of which I'd never heard before.

I remember the Daphne Moon character in Frasier saying in great frustration, "No matter how often I hear them called truck, elevator, or crossing guard, to me they'll always be lorry, lift, and lollipop man!" Our language centers are strongly tied to our visual memories, so Clark should pick up the lingo in short order, if not the accent. And I'm certain Flinders will be impressed by the speed at which he acclimates himself.

It was nice to see Lois go easy on the new kid on the block. She not only helped him out with the rounds at the pub, she thanked him (well, almost!) for his help at the station. I'm certain the Shelia could have taken care of the situation, but now Clark will get a local rep as a defender of women and a dude who can throw down if need be. And he might get some dates out of that, too.

I can't wait to see Clark tell them that he's a Kansas City Chiefs fan. That will go over like a burp in a gas mask.

A good friend of mine visited Australia a few years ago, and he told me that one of the best parts of the trip was the people Down Under. They were uniformly open, friendly, and glad to see him. No one made any cutting remarks about Americans in his hearing, and he said he wished he was young enough to emigrate, he liked the place so much. It's one of the places in the world I'd love to visit myself, should the opportunity ever present itself.

Keep this one coming, Corrina! I like it a lot!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#71152 04/20/10 06:15 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Lisamaree wrote:

...one of my bosses was a fair dinkum rugby league yobbo...
That's terrible! I'm really sorry to hear that. But doctors are so smart these days. I'm sure they can clear that right up and get your former boss back to normal in no time at all.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard