Beat Reporter
OMG. Perfect!

This section defines waffiness.

#71091 04/18/10 06:40 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I wholeheartedly second cookiesmom! In fact, I think I detect a future Kerth here...

Please don't wait so long before posting the third part.

cheers,
Lynn

#71092 04/18/10 07:14 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Excellent! I can't wait for part three.

clap clap

This *is* my happily ever after.
#71093 04/18/10 09:52 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
thumbsup

#71094 04/18/10 10:42 AM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
awesome.

#71095 04/18/10 10:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wonderfulness.

I mean, there's the... and then the... and it's all just so... I haven't got the words.

Excellent, Sue. Anxiously looking forward to the last section.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#71096 04/18/10 02:37 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awesome! Loved it top to bottom. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#71097 04/18/10 02:40 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
smile1 Wow! Love it!

EvelynC
#71098 04/18/10 02:55 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This deserves so much feedback, but I'll see what I have time for:

I grin back in relief - he was only kidding. A rush of affection for him spills through me. Only Clark dares to tease me like this. He's done it since practically the day we met. It took some time, but I eventually realized that he wasn't mocking me; he was acknowledging me. It's the verbal equivalent of a wink. There's something reassuring about having one person in the world who isn't fooled by my blunt personality.
This is quote-compulsory. I sometimes have a bit of trouble with the banter between Clark and Lois in a few Sue-fics, because this banter can occasionally reach levels that I, at least, am not comfortable with. Here, for the first time, Sue explains why her Lois loves to say some not-so-nice things to Clark and have him say some not-so-nice things back at her. It is because she sees this verbal sparring between them as being acknowledged by Clark. "It is the verbal equivalent of a wink." It's like him saying, 'I can see through you, Lois. I can see who you are, and I like you.'

Thank you for explaining this, Sue!

I hold my hand out to him. "Wanna fly with me?"

Clark doesn't say a word and I can't tell if he's speechless because he thinks I'm kidding or if he's trying to find a polite way to decline.

"Come on, Clark, I promise I won't drop you. This is the coolest thing that's ever happened to me, and I want someone to share it with. Fly with me. Please?"

A very long two or three seconds tick by before he reaches out and takes my hand and softly says, "All right."
This is wonderful and so charged with emotions. I can read Clark's feelings here in a way that Lois can't, because she doesn't know that he is Superman. I think Clark's first reaction is negative. He misses flying so much, and Lois, who is the one who "stole" his superpowers, is rubbing it in by sort of "flaunting" her powers, which used to be his, in front of him. (What a role reversal, too: the woman is flying with her fair maid-man.)

So I think that Clark's first reaction is not positive. But then he sees through his own reaction and chastizes himself. Lois hasn't stolen his powers. What happned to him was certainly not her fault. And she isn't rubbing anything in, because she doesn't know that he is Superman. Instead, she is offering him something; indeed, it could be that her invitation to him is a gesture of love.

And Lois acknowledges that the gender-role reversal is weird:

"So, um--." I gesture at him and shrug. "I'm not, uh, not sure what the protocol is for this. I mean, should I carry you or hold on to you or --?"
Clark answers in a way that takes away her nervousness and brings back the banter-comfort level between the two of them:

"Having you hold me sounds nice." His eyebrow quirks lecherously upward and it's only the fact that I would hurt him that stops me from giving him a playful shove. Besides, he's right. It does sound nice. Really, really nice.
sloppy

This is brilliant:

This suddenly seems like a very bad idea. Just because I can fly and I can lift him doesn't mean that I should do both at the same time. What if I drop him? I try to give him a way out. "I won't take it personally, if you don't want to do this."

"Lois." His hands move to my waist, loosely holding us together. "Just relax. It's okay. I trust you."

I search his eyes for a moment and see that he really does mean it. Clark trusts me. He absolutely trusts me. I'm not sure I'd trust him this much if he showed up at my apartment claiming to have Superman's powers and asked me to go flying with him.
This is brilliant. Lois's impulsive offer to Clark suddenly seems more than foolish to her, and suddenly she can't do what she offered him to do. Until she sees his absolute trust in her. That must be so fantastic: to be about to do something weird-and-crazy, and to see the most grounded person that you know acknowledge your decision and look at you with such absolute trust in his eyes.

What a gift.

"Please," Clark adds softly. "I'd really love it if you'd take me flying." He gives me an encouraging smile and I can't help smiling back.

I take a deep breath and release it slowly. Just like my first attempt under Superman's guidance, I mentally picture us both rising higher as I exhale. We lift off of the patio by a few inches and I glance down to check that Clark is with me. He is. There's a flutter in my stomach as I comprehend that I'm the one making this happen. We drift higher - almost as high as the roof of his building - and I look at him to judge his reaction.

Clark grins at me. "Keep going."
It's wonderful that Clark finally asks Lois to take him flying, so that it becomes his idea as much as hers. And Clark turns out to be Lois's flying instructor rather than just her passenger!

"Wow," I whisper. "I've never seen the city like this before. Do you think he does this?"

"Superman?" Clark asks.

"Of course. Do you think he hangs out up here sometimes?"

"Sure.” Clark sounds almost wistful as he tips his head back to study the stars above us.
Wonderful! And Clark misses his flying, all right.

"What do you hear now?"

I listen for a few seconds. The city below seems so distant and muted now. And yet I can clearly hear a steady rhythm and I wonder if it's true that cities have a pulse. Then it dawns on me that what I'm hearing is Clark's heartbeat and not Metropolis. It feels far too intimate, like I'm spying on him somehow, so I leave it out of my answer.
I love that Lois finds herself listening to Clark's heartbeat, in the same way that we know that Clark has been listening to Lois's heartbeat so many times!

"You'll tell me if you're getting cold, won't you?" I ask him. "Or if you start feeling nervous or--."

"I'm not cold," he says softly. "Please, let's just stay here a little longer."

I want to stay with him like this forever and the realization sets off a small spark of panic inside me. Too late, I realize that I can't simply walk out on him if I start getting cold feet. There's no door to slam. There's nothing but me and Clark and the sound of his heartbeat. It's so cozy and intimate and yet I can't stop myself from ruining it by blurting out, "Are you sure? I mean I did threaten to squish your head earlier today. What's to stop me from dropping you now?"
That's a wonderful description of Lois Lane's fears and hangups.

Clark doesn't tense and his heartbeat remains slow and steady. "Did you bring me up here just to drop me?"

"Of course not," I reassure him, feeling terrible that I suggested it. "I would never let you fall."
I would never let you fall... where have I heard that before? smile

Our eyes meet and his pulse quickens. Mine races to match it. The breeze around us picks up a little and it blows my hair across my face. Clark tucks a wayward strand behind my ear. His hand stays there, keeping my hair tamed. It's a faintly possessive gesture that makes me wish Clark would cradle my face between both his hands and kiss me.

At this moment, I've never wanted to kiss anyone more in my life. In spite of the breathtaking view below us, Clark is looking at me like I'm his entire universe. Maybe it's the moonlight or maybe it's his trust in me or maybe it's the way I can hear his heart racing with anticipation, but he's suddenly my entire world.
Absolutely beautiful.

"Just drop," Clark suggests. "We'll pick up speed as we go."

"Drop?" My whole body goes cold at the realization that I'm messing with powers that don’t belong to me. I'm going to end up hurting Clark - and be too late to save the frantic woman whose cries I can't ignore. "Clark, I can't--."

"Yes, you can. Just drop and let gravity do the rest. Trust that you can stop us. No matter how fast we fall, you're in control. All you have to do is concentrate on moving toward where the emergency is without hitting any buildings on the way. It's all about reflexes and steering. Just drop."

How can he be so certain? There isn't really time to argue with him about it, so I decide to give it a try. I let go of the floating sensation keeping us aloft and my stomach seems to be left behind as we start to fall. I stop us immediately and tighten my arms around him.
And the vertigo of this!

I don't have time to do so much quoting now, but it was wonderful that Lois didn't think twice about using her powers to help people. It never occurred to her to use them to get herself favours, for example, and it never occurred to her not to use them in order to help.

I'm reminded of the aspect of LnC canon which says that Lois basically "created" Superman by telling him what he could, and should, be. He should use his powers in the noblest possible way. But Lois is using Superman's powers in exactly the same way, now that they are at her disposal. And she isn't even thinking that there could be an alternative.

Because of that, it was so heartbreaking that her efforts met with so little gratitude and success. A woman resisted Lois's attempts to save her and afterwards called her a scrawny and aggressive brunette. And the man that she had tried so hard to save died in spite of her best efforts. No wonder Lois was thinking to herself:

"Oh, Superman. It sucks to be you."
But Clark supports her:

"You can't save everyone." Clark takes my hand in his and squeezes it gently. "No matter how fast you are, sometimes you still won’t be able to help them."

I let out a choked laugh. "Would you believe I've told Superman that before? It just feels so different on this side of the cape."
That's heartbreakingly sweet and sad.

My own FDK-time is running out swiftly now, so let me just add that there were still more "melting you into a puddle of goo" moments between Lois and Clark here. I loved that Clark was about to tell Lois his secret identity, and that Lois figured it out anyway, when Clark -Superman - told her that he would never let her fall. And as much as I loved seeing Lois with Clark's powers, it's great that they are back where they belong now.

This was an absolutely wonderful chapter, Sue! Looking forward to part 3!

Ann

#71099 04/18/10 03:54 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Oooh! FDK - that nectar of the gods. smile1

cookiesmom - Ah, waffiness. My favorite! I'm glad you think it's waffy.

Lynn - blush You flatter me. Go on. :p

HappyGirl - Thank you! I'll have part 3 for you in a few days.

elizabeth - Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

sarah - Yay! Thank you.

Pam - LOL! I was giggling at the… and the… and then the…. Cracked me up. laugh

Laura - Thank you!

Evelyn - Ooo! The bouncy smiley! Thanks!

Ann - Another long FDK from you! Thank you so much! I model my Clark/Lois banter on the show; most especially the first season when they were both such smartas$es. It was fun to watch and it's fun to write. The impression I got on the show was that Clark did have Lois figured out and he needled her in a way that was like the verbal equivalent of a wink. I had no idea that, all these years, you've been reading their banter as mean-spirited! sad Gah! I swear it's not! They're flirting! The reason that Clark hesitated after Lois asked him to fly with her is explained in part three - and I promise he doesn't think she's flaunting her powers.

Thank you so much to everyone who's reading. I very much appreciate the support. jump

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#71100 04/18/10 05:22 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
I am agreeing with everyone else here! This is just such wonderful waffiness. Makes me feel like I am flying!!

Only Clark dares to tease me like this. He's done it since practically the day we met. It took some time, but I eventually realized that he wasn't mocking me; he was acknowledging me. It's the verbal equivalent of a wink.
I love the above! It is the perfect explanation of the banter between Lois and Clark--that chemistry that helps explain why their partnership works...why Clark can make comments like "You like to be on top" in the first season without alienating or utterly frustrating Lois, heh.

I hold my hand out to him. "Wanna fly with me?"

Clark doesn't say a word and I can't tell if he's speechless because he thinks I'm kidding or if he's trying to find a polite way to decline.
"Come fly with me--let's fly, let's fly away..." Heh heh. This is a great role reversal here. Lois inviting Clark to fly with her rather than the other way around. Can't blame Clark for being speechless for a moment--has to feel pretty weird.

And yet I can clearly hear a steady rhythm and I wonder if it's true that cities have a pulse. Then it dawns on me that what I'm hearing is Clark's heartbeat and not Metropolis. It feels far too intimate, like I'm spying on him somehow, so I leave it out of my answer.
I love that! The bit about wondering if cities have pulses is great in a poetic sort of way, and then it gets even greater when it becomes apparent that Lois is attuned to Clark the way he is attuned to her. Cue more warm feelings!

Thank goodness he hasn't interpreted my distraction as ambivalence about kissing him!
Hahah at that. She's fortunate she's hanging out with Superman's alter ego....

"Clark?" I whisper, scarcely believing it.

His eyes widen.
I love how you handled the revelation above. Very simple--yet very powerful. And it occurring in the midst of Dr. Klein dealing with the camera is great.

Such a wonderful chapter! This was really really enjoyable.

#71101 04/18/10 05:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There's something reassuring about having one person in the world who isn't fooled by my blunt personality.
This is such a great insight into Lois's character, and into Clark's, too.

I'm not sure I'd trust him this much if he showed up at my apartment claiming to have Superman's powers and asked me to go flying with him.
Tee-hee! And yet it's kind of sad, too...

We gain altitude, soaring above his rooftop and then higher still. The expression on Clark's face must be what pure joy looks like.
I love how you have the theme of flying, and how Superman said the only time he felt free was when he was flying (or did I quote that wrong?) For Clark, to lose the ability to fly, and then suddenly, to fly with Lois... you have described it perfectly.

Too late, I realize that I can't simply walk out on him if I start getting cold feet. There's no door to slam.
And that is such a great line too. Lois to a T.

"Just drop and let gravity do the rest. Trust that you can stop us. No matter how fast we fall, you're in control. All you have to do is concentrate on moving toward where the emergency is without hitting any buildings on the way. It's all about reflexes and steering. Just drop."
Gee, isn't Lois going to wonder how Clark knows all this?

The woman I rescued described me as a 'scrawny and aggressive brunette'.
smile smile smile smile smile

“You can’t play God with people’s lives, Lois. All you can do is try to help, but in the end, it’s not up to you. No matter how fast you can fly, or how strong you are, you can't save everyone.”
So very true. And it must be the thing that Superman has to say to himself over and over, so that he doesn't crack under the pressure.

Never let you fall.

"Clark?" I whisper, scarcely believing it.
What a beautiful and poetic revelation.

#71102 04/19/10 03:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes to all the other fdk, but what a great revelation! It is all great waffiness. I laughed out loud at the old lady screaming like she was being murdered as she was being rescued by a "scrawny" brunette! And the dog tried to bite her!
Such gratitude.
Looking forward to the finish.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#71103 04/19/10 04:09 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nice. Very very nice. thumbsup

I immediately noticed some of the major changes (Didn't Clark also say that in the original? Did Lois mention that in the first version? Etc.) I went back to check my memory - not hard to do, since I have the original story on my Kindle! I compared my Kindle version with the one on screen, and that's when I also noted the more suble changes you'd made.

As you mentioned, some of your changes were, in fact, minor tweaks. Small things, like changing the word "smile" to "grin", or even changing a period to an exclamation mark. Yet, for each and every one, large or small, I had to nod my head in admiration and say, "Yup, that's better." Who knew it was possible to improve upon perfection?

As for general feedback to the story itself: What everyone else said. *Especially* what Pam said! smile That about sums it up.

Can't wait until Wednesday...... hyper

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#71104 04/19/10 08:03 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Absolutely loved this part - it was wonderful, sweet, excellent and brilliant.

So, definately cannot wait for the last part hyper

#71105 04/21/10 04:31 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The second part is up and the third will go up Wednesday.
hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper

It's Wednesday!

hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#71106 04/21/10 03:26 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I'm eagerly awaiting part three. <Hint, hint ;-) >

cheers,
Lynn

#71107 04/25/10 03:05 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Hi! It's been a hectic week and I finally have some free time to be able to reply at length to the lovely FDK you guys have left me. smile1

Deja Vu - I can actually pinpoint the moment I fell in love with LnC:TNAoS to when Clark said, "You like to be on top. Got it." laugh It was such a revelation for me to see Clark as a smartass and not a bumbling nerd. Having married a smartass myself, I knew it was a matter of time before Lois fell for his charms. wink Thank you so much for picking out one of my favorite bits (when Lois thought the city had a pulse until she realized it was Clark's heartbeat) to highlight. You made my day!

Iolanthe - You unerringly picked out all the little details that I was happiest with - thank you! I especially laughed at Gee, isn't Lois going to wonder how Clark knows all this?. I tried to make it so that there was so much else distracting her that she didn't have time to think about that. wink

Artemis - I giggled when I typed the "scrawny and aggressive brunette" line. I'm glad it made you laugh, too. smile

Vicki - grumble

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#71108 04/30/10 09:34 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Trying for a little bit of posting efficiency here...
OMG! It took me a few minutes to dry my eyes and quit giggling long enough to be able to type. I'm thrilled that you're reading this one.
blush Definitely. Just taking me a little while to work through the backlog blush

Putting it in S2 certainly gives the whole thing an entirely new spin. But then, that was the idea and is half the fun of episode adaptions clap

How does Superman manage to stay sane, with this much background noise? I didn’t notice it so much until I spent those blissful few minutes above Metropolis with Clark. I throw one arm across my eyes and mutter, "Oh, Superman. It sucks to be you."
And this time, Lois has to deal with it without any support structure in place.

I take the paper and quickly scan through the article. The woman I rescued described me as a scrawny and aggressive brunette. My exhaustion burns away in a rush of indignation.
laugh Now wouldn't it be interesting if the powers turned her into muscle-girl laugh

I wish I had been awake enough to remember Clark tucking me in.
/insert goo/

"Lois--," he starts to say.

I wave my hand to express how urgent I know those cries are. "Go!"

He's gone in an instant.
I remember this cliffhanger, now that I'm reading it again. I believe, these are now called for: wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy
(and the thingies dangling from the spears are flashdrives they found in the jungle)

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#71109 05/11/10 10:11 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hello Sue,

You wrote a great story ! clap
But I would like to read the last part ! I am sure other Folcs want too. I hope you succeed to get back your work !

Waiting for the suite.
Friendly,
Annalina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard