Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
The plot thickens?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
eek Whoa!!

"The plot thickens" is quite an understatement.

Amazing writing, the progression of your story... jawdrop

EvelynC
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow.

Every time I think this tale is about to run out of steam or coast to a well-deserved stop, something else happens. Now both sets of in-laws are facing potential danger, and you can bet Ellen Lane won't be one bit happy about it. Will Lucy get involved? Will Jon actually be physically threatened? Will Clark lose it and kill someone else? Or will he come up to that threshold, pause, and back down?

Either way, it will be a fulcrum point for this part of the tale. Will Clark be able to find his way all the way back to where he was before, or is he permanently caught in Nor's last trap? You've re-energized my enthusiasm once again.

And I haven't even mentioned Lois' return to beat reporting or Clark's job as editor (which he seems to be handling very well) or his ease with Jon and the matter-of-fact relationship he has with his son. That last almost brought tears to my eyes. A man can love and be loved by a woman, and it's an incredible thing, but even that - as wonderful as it is - doesn't encompass the feelings and experiences of being a father.

Still a great story, Rac. I look for a new chapter every time I sign on to the boards. And speaking of new chapters...

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Defintitely agree ... the "plot thickens" is an understatement!

Just thinking about the possibilities of where this might go makes my head spin smile

Great part and looking forward to more!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
As usual, this chapter was wonderful and engrossing!

“I spent years running a planet, chief. It shouldn't be that hard to help you run the Planet.”
I love that bit of humour! And I wish Clark the best of luck.

Fly me to the moon
And let me play among the stars

She crooned softly.
Rac, do you know that I read an essay today which claimed that "motherese" may be the roots of human languae - that and the babies' crying? Just like ape babies, human babies feel the need to be in physical contact with their mothers all the time. But unlike ape babies, human babies can't hold on to their mother by grabbing hold of her fur, partly because she hasn't got any and partly because human babies don't have the required physical maturity and strength to cling to their mother if she doesn't support them.

But sometimes the human mothers needed to put their babies down as they were digging for edible roots etcetera. The deserted baby responded by crying loudly, and the author of the essay claimed that the crying is a "language" in itself and that the crying is modulated, too. And how did the mothers respond to their children's distress signal? Why, by speaking "motherese" to them, in which soft singing is an important part. It was from this crying and this soft singing that the human language developed, according to to the essay I read!

It was awful to know that his little boy couldn't come to Mommy and Daddy's room at night when he had a nightmare because his father was practically a loaded weapon when he slept.
That's awful, awful, awful. I so hope Clark can get rid of his nightmares. But that may be impossible, and then Jon and any sibling he may have must stay out of their parents' room when their father is asleep there.

“So I'm not an awful wife if I have a good, long, hard cry?”
Somebody give Lois a hug, okay? I think that may also be part of the language motherese.

And speaking of mothers...

If it started to get dangerous, they would have to get Jon and his parents, and her parents, too, out of town.
Ellen may be in danger because of Lois and Clark's journalistic digging! And Sam too! And Jon! And Martha and Jonathan!

I guess Clark thought that people wouldn't be in danger because of him when he came back from Krypton. No such luck. But I, too, look forward to the investigation, but I do hope that it will not prove too horrible.

I loved this:

“Daddy, is a penguin a bird or a duck?” he'd asked.

Clark had smiled to himself and suppressed a laugh. “What do you mean?” he'd asked his little boy.

“They swim like ducks, but they look like birds,” Jon had declared.
That's just wonderful. It says so much about children and language and our not-always-logical way of classifying things.

It's interesting, too, that when Jon gets older, he may stop wondering about the amazing creatures that are penguins. Because by then language will have put them in a box for him.

Looking forward to more!

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah peep

Michael, scared and in awe

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have been reading most of your chapters as soon as they were posted, but I saved this one until I had time to appreciate it.

It was very well written, as usual, but it was especially good to see the story developing in a new direction. It just gets better and better, and I am glad there is no immediate end in sight.

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay; things have been very hectic around here. Thanks for taking the time to leave such kind feedback.

Thanks for the very kind comments, Evelyn. Glad you're enjoying the story.

Hi Terry. You raise a lot of very good points in your comments. I'm not going to answer them quite yet, but more is coming up. I'm glad that you took from the scene between Jon and Clark just how special the parent-child relationship is and should be.

Thanks for your comments, DW. More is coming up!

Ann, just as Terry pointed out the amazing thing that fatherhood is, you pointed out the miracle of motherhood. You're right that Lois needs a hug, but things look like they're getting tougher, not easier for her. Glad you enjoyed the 'penguin' exchange - I actually 'borrowed' it from an anecdote involving a friend of mine and her very precocious four year old. It was such a great insight into how little kids think, I had to use it.

Hi Michael. I'm choosing to be flattered by your assumption that I'm that evil. wink

Thanks for your comments, Cookiesmom. The end is still a ways off, as you can imagine. More, however, is on its way.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard