Print Thread
#70375 03/10/10 12:36 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi all,

I just thought I would try something a little different; something I hope will prove to be fun for the story's readers. "A Conundrum" is obviously short and with somewhat stilted language; the reason for both of these things will become obvious when you realize the challenge I set for myself when writing it.

A virtual Double Fudge Crunch Bar to the first person who can figure out what else is unusual about the story.

cheers,
Lynn

#70376 03/10/10 01:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is indeed a condundrum! I can't figure out the riddle at all.

It doesn't seem to be an Acrostic (unless you were spelling an Acronym I don't know...) The lines aren't all questions, all statements, or all starting with the next letter of the alphabet... I tried counting the syllables in each line, but quickly got lost.

Umm....Was it originally written in Chinese? huh

~•~
#70377 03/10/10 01:06 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
This is indeed a condundrum! I can't figure out the riddle at all.

It doesn't seem to be an Acrostic (unless you were spelling an Acronym I don't know...) The lines aren't all questions, all statements, or all starting with the next letter of the alphabet... I tried counting the syllables in each line, but quickly got lost.

Umm....Was it originally written in Chinese? huh
<chuckle> 'fraid not. Except for a really poorly pronounced "thank you," I don't know that language at all. But you are correct that the unusual aspect of the story does have something to do with the word choices.

There actually is a technical term for the type of story I wrote; I'll make mention of it if the successful guesser doesn't include it in their post. (Or if no one guesses the answer in a day or two, I'll just go ahead and post it anyway.)

Thanks for playing. :-)

cheers,
Lynn

#70378 03/10/10 01:37 PM
Kerth
Kerth
It's a surprisingly common omission, but difficult to sustain for long without sounding silly. Naturally you know what I am talking about!

The letter E

Amazingly, at least two full-length novels have been written without it!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#70379 03/10/10 01:44 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
It's a surprisingly common omission, but difficult to sustain for long without sounding silly. Naturally you know what I am talking about!

The letter E
Bravo! I thought it might be fun to write an LnC lipogram. (A lipogram is a passage of writing in which a letter is intentionally omitted.) In fact, not only the story, but the entire post was e-less, including the disclaimer and the posing of the riddle. (Good thing there is no "e" in my name. ;-) )

BTW, I know about "Gadsby," although I have not yet read it. What is the other such lipogramatic novel?

Incidentally, if anyone wants to read a fascinating book that takes lipograms to the extreme, I would highly recommend "Ella Minnow Pea". As the book progresses, the author permits himself to use fewer and fewer letters of the alphabet. On one level, it is a light, fun read. But on another level, it is quite thought provoking. I think it would be an excellent inclusion in any high school or college English or literature class.

cheers,
Lynn

#70380 03/10/10 01:46 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Sorry, I edited while you were posting!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#70381 03/10/10 01:49 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
Sorry, I edited while you were posting!
Looks as though we cross-edited then. No apologies necessary.

cheers,
Lynn

#70382 03/10/10 02:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
.....! Wow! Kudos to you, Lynn! clap

I'm inspired now; I think I'll do I self-imposed challenge/riddle thingy too. smile

~•~
#70383 03/10/10 02:45 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
.....! Wow! Kudos to you, Lynn! clap
Thanks! smile

I'm inspired now; I think I'll do I self-imposed challenge/riddle thingy too. smile
Cool! I'm looking forward to reading it and seeing whether I can solve it.

cheers,
Lynn

#70384 03/10/10 03:10 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Spoiler space

I too thought the letter E was missing at first. Didn't it say 'get' instead of 'put' before. Maybe I imagined it.

Okay, now I see it says 'grab' wallbash

Ann99

#70385 03/10/10 03:24 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Ann99:
Spoiler space

I too thought the letter E was missing at first. Didn't it say 'get' instead of 'put' before. Maybe I imagined it.

Ann
Hi Ann,

A bonus Double Fudge Crunch bar for you for catching that -- I had thought I had corrected that lapse before anyone saw it. My apologies for throwing a monkey wrench into the works with a forbidden "e". (I have since made a few other tweaks to the story, but they were all along the lines of making it sound less stilted. "Get" was changed to "put on," and it currently is "grab".) I had used "find" in Word to check for any e's before I pasted the story into the MB message text box. But then I decided to add the line about the coat to make the transition out of dialogue and into narrative a bit smoother. I should have paid more attention. Mea culpa!

- Lynn

#70386 03/12/10 12:41 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
So funny! One of the things I know about the English language is that "E" is the most common letter there. It takes some doing to dodge them all!

Well done! clap

Ann

P.S. I googled "E aplenty" and got this - not exactly on topic, but I can still see those dancing ladies as a crazy army of absurdist Eeees!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard