Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7032 10/13/03 07:34 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
ACK! Don't do that!

don't post with out the "1/?" Now I'm hopelessly involved and I have no idea when you'll post next! wink

Can't wait for part 2! laugh

-Breanna

Kerth
Kerth
“The lines are open. Call me at 1-800-RAMONAH and let’s talk.”
grumble

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Oh this is spectacular! The idea of Clark feeling uneasy and embarrassed about calling a phone-in radio show is so dead-on! I especially liked the Lois introspection throughout this, and I'm glad she's beyond the stage of, "I don't like Clark. Clark is cute. Clark is only my partner and nothing more. Clark could be more." That type of Lois is so prevolant in fanfic these days that its fun to see a Lois who isn't exactly denying anything anymore. clap

Can't wait to read more,

-Jo huh

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oops. blush Sorry about not numbering the parts. It's been a while. I've corrected the header to read "I've Got This Friend 1/2."

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm with Breanna - I was expecting a vignette, so the tbc was a bit of a surprise. goofy

OTOH, this is a rather beautiful little introspective piece you've started off with, Marilyn, and I'm looking forward to see what comes next. This looks like the beginning of a waffy situation you're setting up and I'm keen to see where we go from here.

thumbsup

Plus, you used fragments. <G> Any author who uses fragments is doing good by me. laugh

LabRat smile (True Defender of Fragments and Frustrator of Betas)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great start, Marilyn!

I love the idea of Clark mindlessly trying to escape his frustrations of being in love with Lois only to come across a lovelorn talk show on the radio.

Next part, when?

Missy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL Rat! laugh

And, yes, I loved this too. You set the scene wonderfully; I could just picture the long, dark road and Clark's frustration at being trapped inside a car when he really wanted to be free, flying. And his thoughts of Lois - oh yeah. Nice! goofy Or will Clark's courage give up first?

Hurry up and post part 2! wildguy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I've corrected the header to read "I've Got This Friend 1/2."
YAY!

Loved part 1, can't wait for 2!

-Breanna

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Aweeeeeeeee! I love it! I can't wait to see what happens next!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh I love this!!!

It reminds me a little of "Sleepless in Seattle" --how the radio show somehow has the power to unite two people... There is something about "anonymous" voices. Hopefully it will work for Lois & Clark!

I can't wait for part 2!!!

-Wanda thumbsup

PS: Were you inspired by "Delilah"? Classic!!! laugh

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Really, really nice.

This is so atmospheric.

Lovely writing.

CC- another diehard user of fragments

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Wow Marilyn,
I got really excited when I saw that you posted a new story, but after I read it, I am ecstatic. This is great.

You've captured the mood really well, and I loved Lois's reaction to the purple prose. I would guess that you have some experience with it. wink

When are you posting the rest?

gerry

Merriwether
Merriwether
Aww, this is so cute! I've got a big ol' smile on my face and I haven't even seen part 2 yet!

(I guess there are some advantages to not checking the folder right after a story has been posted -- the story was marked 1/2 by the time I saw it, so I knew to expect a vignette. In fact, I wouldnt have read it otherwise, since I don't read long stories in progress as a general rule.)

This was very fun ... just perfect for a "bedtime story". I just hope part 2 will be coming soon ... I want to see Lois recognize his voice!

Kathy (off to bed with a WAFFy smile smile )

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Sorry for the initial faux pas and not indicating the part numbers.

I gather that everyone likes this phase of Lois and Clark's relationship -- lunkheaded Clark, hopelessly in love and afraid to say the scary words and terribly cynical Lois, unsure if she really feels anything and also afraid to say the scary words. I hope you will enjoy the resolution as much as the set-up.

Fragments. Yep. laugh I found one article that gave me very good justification for using them.
The key to using fragments is CONTEXT. According to Fowler's (Modern English Usage, 3rd Edition), if in the context of what you are writing you use a sentence fragment and it works, it is usually acceptable. However, as stated in Essentials of English, 4th Edition, if it seriously dislocates the continuity of the writing, it's a sentence error. Who's call is it? First, yours. Second, your editor's.
Most writers use sentence fragments in dialogue or in quick action sequences because the context of their writing calls for it. There's a very good section on using sentence fragments in dialogue in Renni Browne and Dave King's, Self-Editing For Fiction Writers, pp 64-67. The authors list quite a few examples and basically conclude that, "If not overused, this technique captures remarkably well the rhythms of real speech."
I believe it not only captures the rhythm of real speech but of real thought as well. And since the first call is mine and the second is my editor's, since I'm the editor, I guess that means I get both calls. wink

Will Lois recognize his voice? Will Clark chicken out before she does? You'll have to read part two to find out. goofy

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ditto others. A very good setting, both so in character. Great introspection. Simply lovely.

What if Lois don't regognize Clark's voice but gets courage to call herself and ask for advice?

Gabriele
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I believe it not only captures the rhythm of real speech but of real thought as well.
You've been hacking into my conversations with my betas over the years, haven't you, Marilyn. goofy

Couldn't agree more. I will admit that I've been trained to use them much less frequently than I did back in my wild and reckless writing youth...but that's as much of a victory with me as any beta's ever going to get on this one. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard