OP Offline
Kerth
FDK goes here.

Thanks!

Corrina.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lois and Clark at cross-purposes again.

The first chapter hit me so hard that I almost didn't read this one--I thought seriously about waiting until the entire story was posted, which I usually do not do with anyone whose writing I enjoy as much as yours.

I was glad that Martha got Clark to agree to wait for a week, but the way he's doing it is going to make it even harder on both of them than if he had come out with the suggestion to divorce and given Lois a chance to respond and tell him how she really feels.

Interesting explanation of how Clark thinks that Lois and Martha are different.

I want to shake them both and tell them that they are causing their own problems. But I think Lois has already realized that, so it's Clark who figuratively needs to be hit over the head with a two-by-four. (Folklore says that's the way you get the attention of a mule.) But even a two-by-four might not get the attention of Superman.

I don't promise to post fdk after each chapter, but I will continue reading to see how this works itself out.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Very intriguing story.

The truth is that all marriages ebb and flow. Couples go through periods where all they see is each other and they also go through distant times and painful times.

Elisabeth

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
you have made me resort to ice cream for comfort.

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This fic is just amazing. I love how Lois realizes she misses her husband- just as he is making plans to pull away. The Martha scenes are very well written- she comes across as a mom who cares about her kid and does know what's best. Clark, of course, isn't listening.
I can't wait to hear more.

Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment. ~Robert Benchley
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter

EvelynC
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another excellent chapter! I do hope Martha can talk some sense into these two - especially Clark! If this is true to the series apart from Family Hour, what about Utopia? Could this mean we WILL get a happy ending? I do hope so.

On the subject of all marriages having their ups and downs, well from my own experience I would have to disagree with using the word 'all' in that statement - we have been married just over 19 years and never had marital ebbs or rough patches. smile And interestingly enough we don't have kids either... just like you know who. laugh

Cheers
Elizabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“And what can happen in a few weeks that will change anything?” he demanded. “And please don’t say you’re hoping for a miracle pregnancy.”

“No,” Martha retorted. “I’m hoping for a miracle onset of common sense.”
God, I love Martha. smile

B.A.M.R (Bob's Angst Meter Reading) - High
Be officially warned. There is more angst to come. But it's worth it.

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
wow, clark is totally pouring his heart out to martha... though i kinda wish it was to lois even though it would be hurtful for her, but at least they'd be talking again.

when i first read martha's initial reaction, the * made me think she was cussing smile that would be kinda funny if it were true smile

so does that mean that while clark thought lois was crying over them, she was actually crying abt. a story?

that's kinda sad to think abt. the reporter that lois drove away, the one who didn't get the same nurturing/guidance she herself got from perry... though i'm sure she could rise to the challenge and be the editor she could be....

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great part ... and sad!

You gave great insight into these "new" or older Lois and Clark.

Wonder if they will decide to divorce, thinking it will be the best for the other, and then later get back together knowing they made a big mistake?

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
cookiesmom Thanks for continuing to read. I don't want to give too much away, but this won't be 15 parts of angst.

But even a two-by-four might not get the attention of Superman.
No, but Lois Lane will!

Elisabeth RE marriage, that's my experience too, Elisabeth, and it is really easy to get caught up in job, kids etc and feel like you've lost touch.

Thanks for your comments.

Sarah Eek. Sorry! Hope the ice-cream was good. There's ice-cream, pizzas, basketball and a beach to come, so hopefully you'll find that easier going.

Thanks for the FDK.

Vive

I love how Lois realizes she misses her husband- just as he is making plans to pull away.
Me too. laugh

Thanks for leaving comments.

Evelyn Thanks.

Elizabeth I've read your first paragraph a few times and there's so much I could say, but nothing I'm willing to say blush

Re the comment on your marriage ... so it's the KIDS that cause the problems!!! wink

Thanks.

Iolanthe Angst? laugh

flowerpot Martha probably felt like cussing!

so does that mean that while clark thought lois was crying over them, she was actually crying abt. a story?
She was crying because she realised how far she had moved away from Clark. He thought she was crying because their lovemaking wasn't going to result in a baby.

that's kinda sad to think abt. the reporter that lois drove away, the one who didn't get the same nurturing/guidance she herself got from perry... though i'm sure she could rise to the challenge and be the editor she could be....
I can't remember if we were ever told exactly how long Perry had been the EIC, but I always assumed a long time. No one could expect Lois to have all of his experience at first.

Thanks.

DW There will be a divorce in this fic. mecry

Thanks for your comments.

Thanks everyone.

Corrina.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'll admit, I was dreading the possibility that this looked like it was going to be a simple Clark wants to leave Lois for her own good because they can't have kids type of story. And then you dropped Lois on us and oh boy. Just, please, don't let them not talk and not talk and not talk until it's almost too late help help help help help help

Michael

Edit:
Originally posted by Female Hawk:
[b]DW There will be a divorce in this fic. mecry [/b]
NOT. Funny. splat
Is it wrong if I'm hoping Lucy's husband is a jerk?

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Another great installment. Too bad Martha cannot beat some sense into him. Sometimes, this whole invulnerability thing is really annoying. wink

Although Clark's whole reasoning is just... I lack a word for it. Anyway, it's very in-character, thinking off his break-up in season 3.

I'm glad that you gave us Lois' POV. Curios, where this is going to get...

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Top Banana
Top Banana
“I didn’t mean that,” Martha said. “I meant that if Lois loves you and she knows that you want to be with her whatever the circumstances, she won’t leave you, even if you somehow manage to convince her that is best for her.”

His arms dropped. “So I have to pretend I want this?” Clark said incredulously.
NOOOOOoooo! Martha! What are you doing?!?!

Other than this one, fatal, slip, Martha actually did a good job attempting to talk sense into Clark. But, unfortunately, I think the only thing that is going to stay with him when the conversation is over is this. <shakes head> (I've been doing quite a bit of that throughout this story, and I suspect I'll be doing quite a bit more before it's over.)

Last night, as Clark had made love to her, she had caught herself – thinking about a story.

[...]

Clark deserved so much better than that.

When had it started? When had their love-making been reduced to something that could be multi-tasked?
Oh, so *that's* why she was crying! So, Clark was doing a bit of projecting here, right? These two need to talk!

She didn’t remember the last time she had asked him how he felt about ... anything.

Was he still mourning that they would have no child?
Yeah, they definitely need to talk.

Instead of her mind being full of stories and leads and advertising space and column inches, it was full of one man.

Her husband.

She missed him.

She wanted him back.
So, Lois is on a mission to get closer to Clark, and Clark is on a mission to distance himself.

This should be interesting. Off to read Part 3...

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Michael

Re your comments about Lois being a terrible leader. I think her personality would cause her to concentrate so fully on the final product, it would be possible for her to lose sight of the needs of the people involved. A year into the job, she is starting to realise this.

As for Jimmy leaving, I imagine Clark was distressed about it, but felt that him giving any support to Jimmy would look like he was opposing Lois. Clark has always supported Lois publicly, even if he disagreed with her privately.

NOT. Funny.
I would like to point out that I only made the comment about the divorce AFTER I had posted part 3. wink I thought about posting a tease with Lois and Lucy discussing an inevitable divorce, but managed to overcome the temptation!

Thanks, Michael.

bakasi I'm glad you find Clark's reasoning to be in-character. Yes, it's dumb, but probably no dumber than what he did in Contact.

Thanks for leaving FDK.

Vicki How nice to hear from you!

So, Lois is on a mission to get closer to Clark, and Clark is on a mission to distance himself.
Exactly.

Thanks, Vicki.

Corrina.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Martha Kent is the kind of mother I wuold like to become....

In other hand, Clark AND Lois are making a HUGE mistake, they are Not-Talking anymore!! That's the beginning of so many problems!

Clark: "So what are you saying? I should go crawling back on my hands and knees?"
Martha: "No, honey. Fly back. It's faster!!"
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
wallbash Clark is such a lunkhead. He should have learned by now to not assumed and to talk with Lois. He is such a total lunkhead.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard