Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for reading and commenting.

Rac

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I can't find much to say, because it was perfect, especially the waffy ending.

Things are going so well for Clark that I'm getting anxious wondering when something bad will happen.

Ready for the next chapter.

Features Writer
Features Writer
The part is missing a blue arrow... wink Almost missed it.

Off to read.

malu

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks, Malu. Blue arrow problem fixed. wink

Rac

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
He didn’t know what he was expecting, but somehow…it just…it should have been more. Turning off the lights on such a huge part of his life shouldn’t have seemed like such a small, inconsequential thing. But there were no maudlin violins to mark the occasion, no poignant voice over narration. He pulled the door open and with a last glance over his shoulder, walked out.
An excellent description. I loved the bits where each part of the apartment conjured up a different significant memory.

I wish I could say something profound about the passage being a metaphor for some of the biggest things in our lives looking like the smallest, but I don't have the words.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I second Iolan's quote, particularly this part of it:

But there were no maudlin violins to mark the occasion, no poignant voice over narration.
You know that I always associate wildly, and then I have to tell you about what you got me thinking of. Well, in this case I think it was a movie called "The Last Remake of Beau Geste", and we see the "hero" come riding through the desert on a camel while we hear some properly heroic music in the background. Interestingly, the music gets louder and louder, until we see the source of it - a whole orchestra is there in the middle of Sahara, playing their music under the open sky! Just to provide the proper music! Since then, I've always wondered where the orchestra is sitting when music plays an important part in a movie. In this fic, I suddenly imagined a quartet of strings fiddling away in Clark's old apartment as Clark removed his suits from the secret space behind his closet and turned off the light! laugh

It was great to see Clark with both Jon and Lois in this chapter. But like Dr. Friskin, I wonder when Clark will feel able to tell Lois about his nightmares concerning Nor. Clark needs to tell Lois that he killed Nor and that this fact troubles him enormously.

Also I wonder what part the old woman with the broken hip will play in your story. And why is it so important to her that her house will not be condemned?

Ann

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Rac. It was nice to see Clark and Lois moving to Metropolis. It seems like all of our worry over Clark feeling insecure about Lois's suggestion of proceeding with the move/job slowly and talking it over with his parents and Perry was for nothing.

The part about Clark moving out of his apartment touched me. I don't know if I can explain why, but it really struck a chord with me that some of the most significant moments in our life can be so ordinary and mundane and not a big deal.

I also worry about Clark's nightmares and hope that this waffy interlude isn't the eye of the storm. I'm sure that our favorite couple still have some challenges ahead, but I hope that things will continue to get easier for them.

Also I wonder what part the old woman with the broken hip will play in your story. And why is it so important to her that her house will not be condemned
Well, I don't know for certain, but since Lois and Clark eventually move into a brownstone in the show, it's likely that Ultrawoman will mention this place to her friends Lois and Clark, who are looking for the perfect place of their own. laugh

Love the frequent posts. We should have more snow days. smile
BJ

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
This part was so great! Although, I am a little sad that they gave up Clark's apartment. I mean, it makes sense, but it's still sad.

I hope for Clark's sake he can figure out how to tell Lois about Nor...seems like that would really help him get his life back completely.

Not that I want to wish snow days on people, but I'm a fan if it means more writing! smile

Amber

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great story!

Wonder when Clark will tell Lois what his nightmares are about ...

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part, Rac! Your description of the new apartment in Metropolis reminded me of mine in D.C. I think you took the feeling from your own experience. Man, those views are great, though. I looked directly down at the back of the White House from across the Potomac.
Yes, Clark needs to tell Lois about Nor. In some sense he is lucky to remember details of his dream. A lot of times the memory goes away with waking up and you are just left with nameless dread.
Keep it coming!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“So she doesn’t yet know about Nor?”
/slaps head/ Right. He hasn't yet smile1

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Cookiesmom, thanks for your comments; I'm glad you enjoyed this part.

Iolan, it's great to hear you liked the description of Clark leaving his apartment. I wanted to capture the sense that sometimes very little things - like moving out of an old apartment - signify much bigger changes in your life.

Thanks for your comments, Ann. I agree that Clark still has hurdles in his life that need clearing. But no one said this stuff would be easy. As to the little old lady with the broken hip? We'll see what's in store for her soon.

Hey BJ. Thanks for your comments. I'm glad I apparently haven't lost my reputation for doing mean things to the characters. Eye of the storm, huh? wink

Hi Amber. Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the story. It looks like DC has unburied itself, though. Today's snow didn't really accumulate, either. But I do have more to post!

Thanks for reading and commenting, DW. Remember, Clark is a lunkhead...

You're right, Artemis, I did write about their temporary apartment from personal experience. I had an apartment in New York in one of those skyscrapers that is pretty much indistinguishable from any other skyscraper, but oh, what a view! I could see the whole city and the Hudson River. It was amazing. Of course, LnC can have that sort of view whenever they want wink

Hi Michael. Not to fear, more is coming up soon!

More's coming up soon!

Thanks!

Rac

P
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
P
Ok I just happened to pull up this part and i'm
really confused. I confess i haven't read since somewhere the really early parts. Clark was still on New Krypton. In which part did Lois get super powers? I need to backtrack really far it seems
in this story to catch up.
Thanks

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Oh, my, Patti, you need to go back to the previous story The Longest Road: The Roads They Walked Alone . Lois actually got her powers in the first story in the trilogy, The Longest Road: Belief and Sacrifice, but be prepared for a long session. I can testify, however, that it's totally worth it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard