Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Yeah, I know the subtext has basically become text and you can replace "Indonesia" with "Haiti" and "Tsunami" with "Earthquake" to get the message, but when I started writing this part of the storyline, I basically lifted the December 26, 2004 tsunami in Indonesia as-is and used it here.

Thanks for all of your comments, and your patience.

Rac

Top Banana
Top Banana
Obviously my family has a saying that Clark hasn't taken to heart yet - 'God made parents bigger than kids for a good reason.' Clark still hasn't figured out that he's not supposed to be Jon's buddy - that's his grandpa's job. Clark is supposed to be Jon's daddy.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
So happy to see a new chapter here! hyper

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Great to have you back here, Rac!

My immediate reaction to this chapter was that it made me think about Clark's frustrating episode with Jon. The word to describe it is, I think, indeed frustration, and frustration on Jon's part. The little boy knows, of course, that he is cold and needs to go inside to get warm. Except he can't see it like that. What he really thinks he needs is get warm without having to go inside, so that he can keep sledding. Why can't his dad fix that for him? Isn't that what dads are for?

Jon is frustrated because he can't be comfortable and have fun in the snow at the same time. He needs to take his frustration out on someone else, so he "punishes" his dad by throwing a tantrum because his dad can't (or won't) get Jon happy and comfortable at the same time.

Interestingly, Clark has indeed thrown "tantrums" of his own, but in his case Lois has been on the receiving end. Like Jon, Clark has been unable to be happy and comfortable after he returned to the Earth, so he has needed to take his frustration out on somebody. And the one who had to suffer because of Clark's frustration was Lois, because who else would put up with it? Clark realized what he was doing to Lois and hated himself for it, but he couldn't help himself.

A small boy like Jon is going to be unable to really control himself when he is bitterly frustrated. Clark, who has been such a wonderfully patient and idealistic man, has been able to control himself so much better than most people, but his unspeakable experiences on New Krypton did such damage to him that he lost so much of his faith in himself. Rac, you said:

When I worked with survivors of torture, our consulting therapists always told us how important having a sense of control is. We take for granted the ordinary control we have over our everyday lives - what to wear, what to eat, whom to talk to, etc. When that's gone, it can demolish your sense of self.
Well, this is at least partly the lot of children, or it certainly can be. As a child, you may not have that much control over your everyday life, because the adults around you can wrest that control away from you. In this part, Jon lost control over his everyday life when Clark lifted him up against his will and carried him inside.

But on New Krypton, Clark lost control over his everyday life. He became a child of sorts when he was on New Krypton, a child at the mercy of horribly cruel adults. When Clark was able to return to the Earth, he was still this beaten and battered child, still suffering because of his physical and mental wounds, and unable to stop taking his frustration out on his wife.

I was so glad to see them make real love to one another in a way that was not an expression of other feelings than love. And now I'm wondering what Clark's decision to become an editor at the Daily Planet will mean to them. Lois is hesitant. Does she have the faith in her husband that he will need from her?

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
After all of these years and so many countless rescues, he still feels the pain of ordinary people and is moved to ease that pain. It must be a tremendous burden for him. But it is no less than a blessing for the rest of us.
This is an incredibly poetic rendering of what it means to be Superman. Not just in this fic, but in seventy years of the comics, the movies, the stories... well written.

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Another amazing part. I really love this story.

It is such a relief to see a glimpse of Clark's old self. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Amber

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Rac, this story (and epic) continues to be excellent. I won't quote any of it, but Lois' editorial was amazing, especially the bits about the vulnerability of children. Indeed, it's easy to forget the victims of a disaster after the news crews move on to the next thing. Is it human nature to forget or is it a survival tactic?

I agree with Dandello. Even the most patient person on the planet (which very well could be Jonathan Kent) would be hard-pressed to keep a four-year old from ever throwing a tantrum. Sticking to his guns and enforcing the rules is one of the best thing a parent can do for their kids, even if the child doesn't like it. It takes the guess work out of living and makes the world a safe place.

It was so nice seeing Clark relaxed and more like his old self near the end. I can sympathize with Lois about taking this slowly and I hope Clark doesn't interpret it as a vote of no confidence. His self-image has taken such a beating, but he's still progressing. I hope things work out for them in Metropolis.

BJ

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great part! smile1 clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for your comments, everyone. It's heartening to see that people are still reading and enjoying this story. The DC blizzard and my rotation off crisis duty has given me more time to write.

Thanks for your comments, Dandello. I think Clark is having a tough time living up to his expectations of what a good parent should be and is ignoring the more objective standards of parenting. I don't think he's trying too hard to be Jon's friend instead of his dad - I think he's having a tough time comparing himself to the other adults in Jon's life whom he thinks get better results.

Cookiesmom, thanks for commenting. I'm glad to see you're enjoying the story.

You're right, Ann, that Clark gets frustrated too easily these days. He does take it out on Lois because, as he's noted, she pulls her punches with him. Clark needs to gain some semblance of control over his life and find a better way to deal with his frustrations.

Iolanthealias, I'm glad you liked that line. I always find it tough to 'write as Lois.' She is a pretty great writer, after all.

Thanks for your comments, Amber. I'm glad you enjoyed this part and I agree that it's good to see a glimpse of the 'old Clark.'

Hi BJ. Glad you liked this part, and Lois's editorial. I agree, Clark needs Lois's support, but I can also understand her hesitance. This is a pretty bold step, even if they try to take things slowly.

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave feedback, Michael. It's great to hear you liked this part.

Thank you all for reading and commenting.

Rac

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I just adore this story, largely because it's so much like real life would be for our heroes if they actually existed. Thanks for the glimpse into their lives, Rac, and all the pain and agony and growth they're going through.

I think that Clark won't appreciate Lois' desire to move slowly. He's taking a confident step forward to regain his life and she's telling him to slow down, to get some advice from others? Is she treating him like a baby? Does she think he can't hack it in the real world? Does she believe that he should hide out on the farm until Jon goes away to college?

The above is my imagination running wild in Clark's psyche. The way you ended this chapter leads me to believe that he's not going to accept Lois' counsel with grace. I think he's going to feel that she isn't supporting him, while she's really doing her best to make sure he doesn't fail.

And she needs to let him risk failure. She needs to allow him to be in charge. She needs to open her hand and let him fly away so he can fly back under his own power. No, Clark isn't a butterfly, but mentally and emotionally he's still pretty fragile, and Lois can't prop him up forever.

I'm ready for the next part, Rac! Is it up yet?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for your very insightful comments, Terry. I have been concerned that this story lacks the action of the prior chapters in the trilogy. It's much harder to maintain pacing in a story like this one, so I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying what you aptly called what real life would be like for our heroes.

Thanks to the blizzard in the capital region, I've had plenty of time to write, so more will be coming up soon.

Thanks,

Rac

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The solution for our grandson who was very prone to tantrums at unexpected times or when the attention wasn't on him, was to get a younger brother! It worked marvelously. Now he can expend his excess energy on his brother.
Just a thought wink
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard