Print Thread
#69405 02/07/10 10:07 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Well, it's nice to see that there are new twists to the episode laugh

You didn't cut Lois' hair! wink

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#69406 02/08/10 02:54 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, it's a Tank ending, I suppose, but I find this Lois remarkably uncreative and undetermined. :p It seems to me that Clark is usually the defeatist in the pair. Maybe it comes with the super powers.

OTOH, Tank gets points for creativity. He's determined to show us every possible facet of how this story might have gone.

What *will* he think of next?

This line cracked me up: "What happened to your hair?" "It got dirty."

This *is* my happily ever after.
#69407 02/08/10 07:14 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Just jumping in quickly to clear up a couple of things. First, I didn't need to cut Lois' hair because she really already had short hair. Her longer hair as Lois Lane was actually a wig.

The other thing is that this doesn't really qualify as a 'Tank Ending' as it is generally understood. (Yes it is a story by Tank, and as such all stories by Tank have a Tank ending, but you know what I mean.)

It's doesn't have a happily ever after ending but sometimes that's life. Also, you must remember that this vignette only gives us a glimpse of that fateful day in the lives of Ultrawoman/Lois and Clark. Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Perhaps these two might be revisited in TOGoM 2011.

Tank (who, even though he's used it several times, really never liked the 'using Prof. Hamilton's notes and equipment to reserect Clark' ending)

#69408 02/08/10 08:48 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well Tank, I must say: This was beautiful, twisted, and beautifully twisted. thumbsup

~•~
#69409 02/08/10 12:41 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Ooh, interesting twist on the story. I kept wondering if Superman existed in the universe, but I guess not. I'm sure, though, if you put your devious mind to it, you could find a way to bring Lois back to life... I've always been a fan of bulletproof jackets.. or dresses. wink

Unless you plan on putting the remote base in Minnesota... goofy

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#69410 02/08/10 06:08 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
by Queen of the Capes:
I have one complaint, though: there seem to be three extra letters at the bottom of the post. Do you mind deleting those? Also, you forgot to add "1/?" to the end of the title.
I'm in total agreement with that!

#69411 02/09/10 02:18 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
The new year is not complete without a new version of TOGOM. And this was a good one! But where's the rest? smile

Amber

#69412 02/09/10 05:16 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great twist on ToGoM, Tank. The descriptions of Lois' experience, as well as Clark's grief were well done. Oh, and the explanation for Lois' short hair had me rotflmao! lol

"I guess that would make sense." Clark's voice was flat, almost mechanical. Lois could see that the hurt and the loss that he'd been dealing with earlier were still with him. Her revelation had done nothing to change that.

He walked over to his door and opened it for her. "I wish you the best of luck, Lois. I'll miss you."
This certainly doesn't seem like the Lois or Clark that we know. Lois giving up on her life at the Planet without a fight? Does Clark dislike Ultrawoman so much that he's willing to give Lois up because of her alter-ego? It certainly sounds that way. Sure, Lois can't think of another way to explain her survival, but I'm certain that together, or maybe even with Perry or her father's help (BTW, are all of the Lanes superpowered?) she can fake a medical recovery without relying on Hamilton's resurrection techniques.

Regardless, your story was a sad, well-written twist on this favorite episode. I was glad to read another story by you. Hopefully, you'll write more before TOGOM 2011.
grovel

#69413 02/09/10 05:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great twist, Tank. I don't believe I've ever seen the TOGOM with Lois super. But, you know, you really need to get them back together. After all, Lois heard Clark say he loved her.
Got a laugh out of the short hair-wig deal. That labelled it as a Tank story.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#69414 02/09/10 12:23 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I thought it was beautifully written. Life doesn't always include a happily-ever-after. On the other hand, it held glimpses of love and respect, sprinkled with what might have been.

Elisabeth
PS Thanks also for your help with my ficathon. I was really banging my head on the wall because I felt that gifts needed happily-ever-afters.

#69415 02/09/10 01:45 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Thanks to those who have commented.

As far as Lois' seeming to give up too easily. One must remember that this is still the same evening that she was shot, and she is still quite depressed over it. Remember, Clark in this situation didn't see a way out until he'd thought about it for a day or two.

Also, this Lois is the one with powers, so she's probably not quite the same kind of Lois that we are used to. She'd not be as driven to 'compete' with the boysclub since she has several natural advantages that allowed her to not only even the playing field, but actually have the advantage. So I don't see her as 'manic' as our Lois would be. Her overall personality would naturally be a little more laid back. Something she would have learned while trying to 'hide' her special gifts.

In the same vein; the Clark of this story is not the Clark/Superman that we are familiar with. Not having powers would have given him a little of our universe's Lois' drive and need to succeed on his own merits. Assuming that Lois was already the established reporter when Clark came onto the scene, he would have very likely had some hero worship for Lois as a star reporter beyond just falling in love at first sight. I may not have made it really clear, but I wanted this Clark to have never had the 'crush' on Ultrawoman. He sees her as the noble being who is 'above' regular people, but he respects and admires what she does. But he saves his 'romantic' notions for Lois only.

He had never tried to picture himself with Ultrawoman. He doesn't think that such a thing would be possible, nor desirable. Lois was the 'real' person he wanted to be with. That was why he was especially depressed, and not uplifted, when he found out that Lois/Ultawoman had was not dead. He saw right away that Lois, the woman he really loved, was still gone. And the only one left was Ultrawoman, a person who couldn't 'love' a mere mortal.

They had their love, but neither at that time knew of any way that they would be able to 'live' it. So they parted with the knowledge, but not the reality.

Tank (who says that an epilogue is still possible... perhaps... maybe... if Favre comes back)

#69416 02/09/10 04:59 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
if Favre comes back. laugh

This *is* my happily ever after.
#69417 02/10/10 05:19 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The best commercial for the Superbowl was Brett Favre getting MVP for the 2020 superbowl and being asked if he would retire yet. He waffled his answer. The trophy was a hologram, totally cool.
So in this reality, you need to write a sequel/epilogue.
Vikings live long lives!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#69418 02/10/10 07:43 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Once in front of the foreboding portal a small window slid back revealing a pair of dark, shadowed eyes. "What's the password?"

Clark looked a bit thrown by the question. "Ah... Joe sent me?" There was no response from the owner of the eyes. "Swordfish?"

Lois saw the shake of the fellow's head and could tell that they were about to be denied entrance. She stepped in front of Clark. "He's always kidding around. The fat lady sings."
this made me pause and I started to believe we're talking Ultra Woman here.

Clark looked around for Lois. He'd just had an encounter with Bonnie Parker over by the bar and he had to tell Lois about it. If Bonnie was here, that meant that Clyde and the rest probably were also.
Started wondering if Lois would get shot. And how much would be in reverse.

Clark saw the glare that Lois gave Dillinger, but the gangster was determined to paw his partner. He didn't think about his actions, he just knew that he couldn't let that happen. He quickly stepped forward and stepped between Lois and Dillinger.
You're shooting Clark, and this time it will be for real! eek

"No." Clark tried to hold onto her but was pushed away by one of the thugs. He watched helplessly as Lois' limp body was manhandled up the short stairway and out the door. "Lois?"
So you really did shoot Lois smile

Her hair was soaked from the puddle she had landed in. She inwardly cringed, thinking what that small pool might be made up of. She pulled the shoulder length wig from her head, revealing the short dark hair beneath. She silently cursed the fact that she'd have to wash and set the wig again.
clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#69419 02/07/11 03:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, I'm reading this from the archive...

"I keep the suit, super compacted, in my purse.
I see no one else commented on this, but I thought it was hilarious - probably because I get teased that I carry the proverbial kitchen sink in my purse.

Like when Wendy was killed in that car
accident in high school.
Wonder if our own Wendy has read this? It's almost kind of symbolic since Wendy doesn't write for LnC these days.

I'd like to see how you would handle "Fly Hard" with Lois as Ultra Woman. Does she save Lex's life? Or does Clark still do that?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard