Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68822 01/16/10 02:29 PM
sunrei Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Whew! That was a whirlwind but it feels really good to finish something in a day!

As I mentioned in the last FDK thread (in case someone didn't read over there), Clark's sickness as a child was influenced by Superman Returns. In my muse's POV, that was all a part of his body getting adjusted to Earth. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for reading smile

~s

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Absolutely lovely! And I'm so glad you posted twice in one day!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
oh that was great!!! I love the way you write - it's almost poetry. Thank you!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
So, are there any sorts of bribes that we could offer your muse to stick around more often? wink

I really loved this story. The change in writing style was interesting and fun to read. I like how you developed the idea from Superman Returns. And I always love a story where Lois shows up in Clark's life earlier than canon.

And I'm only sorta joking about the bribes...really, what will it take? wink

Amber

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Wonderful with such a different start. I loved how you wrote it. Poignant, lovely and very enjoyable.

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com
Have Chili Your Way, Every Way

robinson
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
That was truly lovely, Sunrei. It was indeed poetic, and heart-wrenching, and soft and gentle and just perfect. I wish I could write so beautifully. Please, work with your muse to give us more breathless offerings such as this one. This crusty old man thoroughly enjoyed it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
So beautiful, Sonia. Your wonderful way with words gave this tale a thoroughly magical quality. And how suitable that was, since the story of Lois and Clark really is one of magic. But the story wasn't only like a fairy tale, it was funny, too. It was lovely! I have to tell you you have forever changed my way of looking at one of the characters of the Superman mythos - Peregrine White!

[Linked Image]

Fly, Clark, fly! Of course your boss should be a peregrine. And of course the love of your life can be described as a yellow-breasted bird with a singsong voice, which helped lead you away from dark and danger when you were a little boy!

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
This is so good that I am at a loss for words. It is a truly wonderful tale of friendship and love. love

This has brightened my day. Thank you for sharing this story with us.

Bob

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yay! I'm so glad you posted!!!! smile1 That was such a beautiful tale! There are so many wonderful parts to this story.

Like the caterpillar without wings, the boy who couldn’t walk had become the man who could fly.
I love this imagery.

He had started to understand that it was called a crush because of the horrible thing it did to your heart.
This is SO true!

Everything that he felt, hoped, and dreamed was being reflected back to him in her eyes.
Loved this part.

He was a man (capital ‘M’) who wore a symbol on his chest and who could move mountains
I love how you never mentioned the word “Superman”, but it was implied.

This was the last time he would see Lois Lane.
Because from that moment on her last name would be Kent.
I absolutely love this last line!

Perry: (To Lois) Honey, this could be greatest story since Superman came to town. By-the-by, where is that husband of yours?
--Faster Than a Speeding Vixon
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, this was so much less angsty than the first part.

Inevitably though, change it did, and they did too. The daily calls turned into weekly notes which turned into holiday cards and blue-moon calls (granted it was sometimes hard to find a post office in small off-the-map places like Borneo). No one could really understand how someone unseen and mostly unheard could forever (and ever, Amen) hold the title of Best when it came to friends.
help

Granted, she was semi-famous (in her own city, at least). She was a reporter for a newspaper (if you considered the tabloid called Inquisitor to *be* a newspaper)
Okay, so she just quit the Inquisitor. But why did she start there? thumbsup

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
M
Blogger
Blogger
M
So as promised, I reread your story here as well to get the NAoLC feel to the story. Still a great story, and I still love it. I hope you finish your other story and continue to write more. Still hoping to see Lois' point of view. smile

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
wonderful!

looking forward to MORE of your work!

Kerth
Kerth
This was lovely. I read both parts together and really enjoyed them. This is definitely a story well worth re-reading.

Thank you.

Corrina.

sunrei Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks everyone! Like I said, this was a new style for me, so kind of a risky venture. I liked that it was flow-able, if that makes sense. That made it possible to finish quickly, so I might have to try it again one day. I know that in most cases overabundant use of 'he' and 'she' should be avoided, but I think we all knew who those characters were wink

I really enjoyed all the comments- I think those are probably the most effective bribes if any!

I'm glad that the subtleties worked- I never followed one tangent for too long (i.e. Perry White the owl as Ann noted), but there are all sorts of other stories mixed in.

Speaking of Perry- this was kind of vague, but I figured he wasn't really known yet. Maybe he's not EIC at The Planet, or maybe he's not even at The Planet- I don't know. I also borrowed from the Smallville version where Lois's first job was not at The Planet either. As Clark observes, their first meeting is all kinda mystical and foreshadow-y, as if Perry's been following her trajectory and is patiently awaiting the time when the stars will align.

And just to be clear- Claude's intervention was a lot more benign in this story than we're used to. He got her story, but nothing else.

Okay, this was so much less angsty than the first part.
Angst? I never said there would be angst! smile

Thanks again wave

~sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
A very sweet ending. It made sense to me that if Lois wasn't a native of Metropolis she wouldn't have as much of a shot at an internship.

I'm glad that the black suit was a wedding tux and not a New Krypton suit.

Elisabeth

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
This part was so chocked full of beautiful sayings, that I want to quote the whole thing. <g> For the sake of others, I shall resist, but here are a few of my favorites:
“If you’re smart,” she’d said, “you’ll nod politely at the ‘I wishes’ and walk arm-and-arm with the ‘what ya gots.’”
Wow. I wish ( wink ) someone had taught me that earlier in my life. What a great attitude that reveals so much about Lois' life up to that point. I can imagine that her life as an army brat was just as difficult as Clark's. It was nice of her to share her wisdom with her new best friend.

I loved seeing how Clark grew into a Man (with a capital M!) and that he just seemed to *know* when Lois needed him to break the rules and be her best friend when she needed it most.

All of his thoughts were stymied when the door to the apartment opened to his knock (he hadn’t even noticed the many turning tumblers of locks on the door) and immediately, his two most pressing questions were answered. The one about love? Stronger. The one about recognition? Undoubtedly.
Loved this! I smiled all the way through their second meeting. sloppy

“You got *big*,” she announced, staring him up and down with a mixture of amusement and something else he couldn’t quite name.
Loved this, too! This exchange was so vivid -- I know *exactly* what the "something else" was that was going through Lois' mind. And I can't blame her. laugh

I got a kick out of Lois' absolute nonchalant attitude over sleeping together and was happy to see her share her trials and dreams with Clark. Although I can gather from the context what "safety off the nine" means, I've never heard the expression before. Where does it come from?

The mysterious meeting with Perry was delightful, as was Clark's story about his own origins and their respective reactions to waking up the next morning. lol

I've always enjoyed your writing style and I simply loved the poetic style of this piece. I can't wait to read more.

BJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Everyone else said it so much better. But:

Great story.

Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm glad you posted the two parts together because I think they really deserve to be read that way. And reading them that way leaves me ... breathless, giddy, enthralled, amazed.

If this is what your muse does to get a kick start, feel free to go AWOL a few dozen more times. I pretty much have no words to describe how tremendously fabulous this is. (Though I gave it a good try. smile )

What an absolutely beautiful story.

Kathy

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard