Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#68648 01/08/10 05:30 PM
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Liar! Liar!

I was confused for about half a second when I saw you had posted. And then I laughed when I realized just how much subterfuge you had used.

Back after I read...

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, that was wonderful!

I love drunk Clark and "in vino veritas".

And now to chew over some of those great lines:

“Oh. I’m sorry. Are you here with someone?”

Clark reached over and tapped his glass against hers. “I am now.”

In spite of her best effort not to, Lois smiled. She’d walked right into that one.
Reminds me of a cheesy pickup line I heard: "Are you a traffic ticket? Because you've got "fine" written all over you." Except Clark's line is much better.

"Whenever your heart gets broken, it leaves a scar and it’s hard to hear what your heart is saying underneath those thick calluses.” Clark held out his hand as proof of his words and then cocked his head in confusion. “Okay, so I don’t have any calluses, but you know what I mean.”
Funny, and yet so tender.

Clark looked at her suddenly with a triumphant smile. “I finally got it.”

“Got what?”

He pulled the cherry stem out of his mouth and held it up for inspection; it was tied in a knot.
Why does my mind immediately dive into the gutter when faced with Clark's feat?

“But I’ve never been drunk before!”

“Never been *this* drunk, maybe. ”

“Nope. I’ve tried before, but … nothin’.”

“Uh huh. All those years of college football and traveling the world and you’ve never been drunk before. Next thing you’ll be saying is that you’re a virgin, too.”

“Lois!” Clark hissed, his eyes wide.
LOL, tee-hee, and ROTFLMAO!

She struggled to get him upright. “Jeez, Clark. You weigh a ton.”

“It’s because I’m so dense.”

“You’re telling me,” Lois laughed.
Oh, I love the double meanings! You've got this sly humor that's just great!

“You said my pick-up line wouldn’t work. But a beautiful woman just approached me, paid for my drinks and is taking me home with her. Sounds like it worked to me.”
Well, when you judge by results...yeah, it worked!

“What are you doing?” she asked.

He slid his glasses up again and shrugged. “Trying to heat it up, but my eyes aren’t working.”
I love that you throw these little bits in here. I can just see Clark, too wasted to even try to bother to keep his secret, and his powers are gone so it doesn't matter.

“You kissed me again.” He smiled sleepily. “I must be an irresistible drunk.”

“Irritating, maybe.”

“Admit it, Lois. You like having me around.”

Unexpectedly, Lois’ eyes filled with tears. “I do. I was so afraid that I’d lost you and I didn’t know what I was going to do without your friendship.”
Ah, that was just so sweet! The bantering that suddenly turns into the serious, unvarnished truth.

Once again, a wonderful, fabulous story!

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Liar! Liar!
Mwah ha ha ha!
devil

Is it wrong to picture the old crone from "The Princess Bride" when you say that to me? The lie might not have been for true love, but it was for a noble cause.

Iolan - Thanks for the feedback and for pulling out some of my favorite lines. So glad that you enjoyed it.

Top Banana
Top Banana
BJ, that was hillarious. laugh

Iolanthe already quoted a string of funny lines, but I had to add this:

When I first read this line: "I must be an irresistable drunk," I *thought* it said, "I must be an irresistable hunk." Both are true, but I was thinking, 'Geez, Clark, even drunk you wouldn't be *that* full of yourself.'

Thanks for putting a smile on my face (and I'm not even tipsy).

The final lines about promising to tell him again if he forgets make the scene in front of the Planet even more poignant. He *really* should have let her go first. (Hence the title, I know.)

This *is* my happily ever after.
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
But… but… where was the goat? You just wouldn't believe how much time I've mentally wasted trying to figure out how to get a goat into your story. :p

And, yes, you definitely knew I'd like this one because you've been teasing me since last spring about how you were going to write a Drunk!Clark story. And it's awesome! It's everything I could have hoped for and more! No, this was beyond awesome. This was freakin' fantastic! This was a validly (and utterly irresistable) Clark. I might as well just quote the whole story back because I loved every single syllable of it. <squees and clutches story to chest while chanting "mine, mine, mine!"> smile1

I love your writing style so much. I love the banter and the flow and the pace of all your stories. You write so many vivid little details that the characters come alive for me. whinging Lois' reaction to Clark was also touching and funny at the same time. I loved how she judged how drunk he was by the pile of fruit rinds and plastic swords he had accumulated.
Lois swallowed the temptation to answer flippantly. Clark had been more than generous in the past. The least she could do is to be honest with him. “Looking for a friend, I guess. We are still friends, aren’t we Clark?”
See, that's what I mean vivid details. In a short paragraph we get a good sense of their relationship and what she hopes it still is. And then you give us this one:
“Blind spot?” she asked incredulously. Although his facial expression was full of concern, not anger, this conversation was starting to sound suspiciously familiar. Regardless of her level of complicity in the wedding fiasco from hell, she yanked her hand away, feeling defensive. “Don’t patronize me, Clark. I know my own mind.”

He watched her eyebrows draw down stormily and he waved his arms around. “Whoa, whoa, hang on. No fighting! My brain is mush and I can’t compete. Next week, fine, but tonight is off limits. We’re celebrating and that’s that.”
That's so realistic - she can't quite let go of all the times he warned her about Lex and she gets defensive. And his reaction is perfect; admitting that he's too drunk to verbally spar with her.
“Oh, God,” Lois moaned. “I knew telling you about Claude would come back to haunt me.”
Another line that was both poignant and funny at the same time. So was her observation about "Confucious Clark" and his "country zen wisdom". The cherry stem knot was hilariously sexy.

I loved how Lois slowly works up to telling Clark about her feelings. His reaction to her partial confession is another extremely poignant moment:
Clark opened his mouth to tell Lois that he already knew she’d stopped the wedding, but her final words made his head spin. It was obvious that even after refusing her affections, he’d been able to keep her from marrying Luthor. Well, not *him* him, but the other him. Surprisingly, he felt no jealousy. He was happy that even trapped in his Kryptonite prison, he’d been able to save her.
whinging
“I have another confession to make.” She lifted her head to look at him again. “It wasn’t Superman I was thinking about while I was walking down the aisle; it was you.”

She watched Clark’s eyes open wide in shock as her words filtered through his addled brain. Once they did, though, his resulting smile was so radiant that it made her stomach twist. She had a feeling that if she had been standing, her knees would have felt weak.
Yes! I'm sitting down and my knees are weak.

I just hope Clark's powers return before he wakes up so he doesn't have the mother of all hangovers. wink And, of course, that he remembers everything.

Thank you, Brenda! This was perfect and I love it, love it, love it! I'm woozy with delight. Thank you so much. You rock my world! sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What they said! goofy

Seriously great stuff! Loved every line of it and wouldn't mind a sequel. Just how exactly does Clark feel int he morning? laugh

He is way too cute drunk and I love how his state helped Lois, vulnerable as she was, to feel better.

Natascha thumbsup

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Cute, fun, waffy. I loved it

I thought the flirting was wonderful I love this set

His eyebrows shot up before he smiled sexily. “Why, Lois Lane … what would your mother say?”

“I thought you would’ve noticed by now, Clark, but I’m all grown up. I don’t need my mom’s permission anymore.”

“Well, then what would *my* mother say?”

I would love to see a next day story although this was perfect as it is

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com
Have chili your way, every way

robinson
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like Natascha said... what they said!

And again like Natascha said...Drunk!Clark is way too cute, for his own equilibrium, for Lois's and for our own! clap

Ann

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, you know I loved it. But it's a ton of fun to see everyone else cracking up over the lines that had me ROTFL. thumbsup

Great job, BJ. I thoroughly enjoyed it. smile

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just adorable through and through! Loved it. Wish there was more. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, I'm pretty much giving up on being able to produce something like Iolanthe's or Sue's FDK clap notworthy

Lois’ steps slowed and she eyed him suspiciously, trying to figure out whether he was serious. Clark seemed oblivious to her scrutiny, however, as his forehead creased in thought. Not a pick-up line, then, just tipsy already. She glanced at the impressive pile of lime rinds, colorful plastic swords and cherry stems in front of him and blinked in surprise. Make that really drunk, then.
lol

Drunk Clark was a lot of fun. But it is a very good thing that being drunk and having superpowers is mutually exclusive laugh

Feeling off-balance and more than a little amused, Lois removed his arm and ordered a white wine from the bartender before settling back onto her stool.
White wine? That had me sputter and grin. From the way you've described the bar, I'm surprised they even serve white wine. Or that it is drinkable eek

“If I don’t remember this in the morning, will you tell me again?”

Lois smiled. “Yes. I’ll tell you again tomorrow.”
So, does this mean Lois doesn't trust the old in vino veritas?

Absolutely adorable story, Brenda! Vivid. Imaginative. Cute. Flirty.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
smile Aw, this was great! Thanks so much for such a nice, lighthearted and sweet story.

I don't get a chance to get on these boards as much as I used to, but this story was just right this morning. I had an absolutely foul night at work, got home about an hour ago with a raging headache, and decided to read for a few moments before I go to bed. I found this story and my mood and my heart are much lighter now. Thanks! smile1

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I can't tell you how gratifying it is to see how many people enjoyed this little vignette. Thank you, thank you all for your kind words and for taking the time to tell me.

*thought* it said, "I must be an irresistable hunk.
goofy
I'm surprised they even serve white wine. Or that it is drinkable
Really? I'm not a drinker, myself, so what would be a better drink for Lois to order?

Thanks again for all the lovely feedback, everyone, and for making me feel so appreciated.
hyper

ETA:
'Toc - you snuck in there while I was responding to the feedback. I'm sorry about your night, but am glad that I could help make things better. As for a sequel ... maybe. If you have any brilliant ideas floating around in your head, you definitely have my permission to write it. *grins*

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Really? I'm not a drinker, myself, so what would be a better drink for Lois to order?
Me neither. It's just an impression I got from TV. You know, dingy watering holes and white whine in long-stemmed gasses not mixing blush

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Merriwether
Merriwether
Most bars are full service, even those in iffy neighborhoods. The bar having white wine -- and Lois ordering it -- make perfect sense.

The quality of said wine, though, is definitely arguable. goofy

Top Banana
Top Banana
Michael, at least in the U.S., a glass of wine is what a lady orders when she feels socially obligated to drink and doesn't want to actually get drunk. I read it as Lois keeping Clark company while keeping herself sober. She probably only took a token sip.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. Never given it much thought. And on TV you mostly see wine in a restaurant and beer and drinks in a bar. huh blush

Michael

Kerth
Kerth
I'll say upfront that the first line had me worried. Clark drunk. I could see a hundred different ways you could take the story and I wasn't sure I would like any of them.

However, you chose something completely different and gave us a wonderful story where Clark's condition changed him in delightful ways.

I think Lois enjoyed glimpsing a side of Clark that he usually keeps well-hidden. I did too.

Setting the story just after Lois's wedding disaster worked really well. Her self-esteem must have taken a battering and she would still be in shock and by giving her a lovely evening with her best friend - a best friend who really needed her - that provided the foundations for such a sweet story.

Great fic, Brenda. I enjoyed every word of it.

Corrina.

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
this is so sweet.... this version of a drunk clark is adorable....is there any possibility of a continuation of the story?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was confused for about half a second when I saw you had posted. And then I laughed when I realized just how much subterfuge you had used.
Haven't read yet, but I just have to say that I love when the writer enlists the help of the person for whom the fic is being written.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard