I'm not sure I'm happy with the title so suggestions welcome. Jenn, you got one?

It's also unbeta'd and exactly 1000 words wink .

This is for the Great Pink One, because she rocks. And because she helped me get a new mixer. And because she rocks. And because, well, she's my partner in crime. And also, um, because she's who I was assigned.

I think this meets all your requirements... =D.

Expect the Unexpected

"What do you think?" I asked, walking into the living room of the farmhouse.

Dad turned around on the couch, looked me up and down skeptically before nodding. "I guess it works."

I rolled my eyes at Mom who rolled her eyes back. "The cape works?" I asked her.

She eyed me more critically. "Yes, it does."

She put her arm around my waist and rested her head on my shoulder. My arm automatically went around her shoulders as we watched the colonists' transport prepare for takeoff.

Suddenly, though, something went wrong.

Like a flash, I was out the door and on my way to Metropolis.

Seconds later, I was in the transport, pulling the explosives off the panel.

Of course, Lois was there, gaping at me. Great. Just what I needed – on so many levels.

I popped the C-4 in my mouth and swallowed mere seconds before it exploded. Unsurprisingly, I burped. I managed not to roll my eyes as I said, "Excuse me."

Lois just continued to gape at me.

"I'm a friend," I told her, unable to contain a grin.

"I see that." She looked around before staring at me for another long moment.

She glanced around one more time before launching herself at me.

Even with my superfast reflexes, I barely caught her in time.

She kissed me.

Surprised, I found myself wrapping my arms around her waist as her... assault continued. I was only too glad to respond, but then had to push her away with a groan. "They're coming," I told her. "The colonists. And what are you doing here anyway? This area is closed to reporters," I pointed out.

"So you know I'm a reporter?" she asked breathlessly, her arms still around my neck.

I shrugged. "I've seen you around," I said, noncommittally.

I moved away from her and turned to talk to the colonists on the transport who had made their way to us. When I turned back around, Lois was long gone.

I groaned internally. Where had she gone? Regardless of how long I'd known her, I knew one thing about Lois Lane. Expect the unexpected.

I conferred with ground control and other officials. With their approval, I gave the transport a lift. I'd searched with my vision and hearing for Lois when I could, but by the time they were ready for me to leave with the ship, I still hadn't found her. Shocking, I told myself with a roll of my eyes.

I lifted the transport slowly at first then faster and faster until we were out of the atmosphere. Remembering Newton's First Law of Motion, I slowed myself and the ship down long before we neared the space station. Carefully, I maneuvered it into position until the docking clamps were secure. I headed to the airlock where one of the astronauts let me in.

I watched the colonists as they entered the station.

I sighed. There she was. She was trying to stay hidden in the crowd of colonist, hoping – I was sure – that I wouldn't spot her. I was about walk towards her when I was distracted by the commander of the space station.

My conversation with him took longer than I would have liked and by the time I was able to go mingle with the colonists, they were already at the welcome reception.

I spoke quietly with a number of them who thanked me gratefully for my assistance. I worked my way through the room until I found her.

"What do you think you're doing?" I asked in a whisper.

Lois turned to glare at me, holding up a packet of... something. "There's no egg nog. There was supposed to be egg nog but someone replaced it with this nasty orange stuff."

I raised an eyebrow. "Tang?"

"You would know," she muttered, "Superman."

"I have to take you home. You can't stay on the space station."

She sighed as she sucked some more of the orange concoction out of the drink pouch. "I know."

Half an hour later, she was in space suit, complete with oxygen, to protect her from the vacuum of space. I wouldn't be able to reenter the atmosphere too quickly as it wouldn't protect her from the heat of reentry.

I didn't know how long the trip home took but once I set her on the ground, I helped her strip off the suit.

She was still dressed in the beige uniform of the colonists. I tipped her face towards me. "Wanna tell me what's going on?"

She shrugged and turned away from me, heading into the kitchen of the brownstone and starting a fresh pot of coffee.

"Talk to me," I said, slipping my arms around her and tugging her back to my chest.

She leaned her head against me for a long moment before speaking. "My parents were fighting again. I needed to get away. Get some space."

"I'm sorry."

She turned in my arms and rested her head against my no-longer-Spandex-clad chest. "I know I shouldn't need them to get along. I have you. I have your folks. What more do I need?"

"Parents who know better." I kissed her forehead softly.

"Yeah. Here I was thinking I could almost like the holidays," she said with a sigh. She pulled back slightly and looked up at me.

"You'll always have me. We'll go to Smallville for Christmas. I promise, you'll have a great time."

She smiled slightly. "I guess."

"I love you, Lois." I reached up with one hand brushing the hair back off her forehead.

"I know. I love you, too." She picked at something invisible on my shirt. "I like the new cape, by the way. I'll have to tell your mom."

"Think anyone else noticed?" I asked with a grin.

She shook her head. "Just me."

I could still hear the loneliness in her voice so I leaned over and kissed her, showing her without words that everything in our little world was still okay.

Jenn's requests:
Screen name: EditorJax

Three things I want in my fic:
1. An unexpected kiss.
2. Sam and Ellen bickering (but it can be indirect).
3. The egg nog somehow being replaced by Tang.

Preferred season(s)/holiday [if applicable]:

Three things I do not want in my fic:
1. Lois or Clark dating someone else.
2. Jimmy interruptus.
3. Song fic.