Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#68225 12/19/09 06:11 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Sue
I have been waiting for you to post part 10 so that I could read your woderful story in one shot. It was well worth the wait.I just love stories that throw them around in time. It is so funny to see how they all react to one another and then watch as their eyes become wide open and see what they have been missing. Wonderful job and I second the idea that you write us some more Nfic. Glad your back we have missed you!

#68226 12/19/09 06:57 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I really like how this story ended. I personally don't think the 1998 Lois and Clark will disappear. I think it would be more like the scene in Frequency where the room transforms around him and his dead parents are alive again.

"We've been sitting here all night and the longest conversation you've had with a woman was when your mom called."
Leonard to Howard: The Big Bang Theory
#68227 12/20/09 02:48 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I read chapter 10 a few days ago but wasn't where I could leave fdk.

Thank you for this wonderful Christmas present to all of us!!

#68228 12/20/09 03:14 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I personally don't think the 1998 Lois and Clark will disappear. I think it would be more like the scene in Frequency where the room transforms around him and his dead parents are alive again.
I don't know how it worked in Frequency, but I guess I could go along with the idea that Present Lois and Clark live the next 3 years, then Future Lois and Clark (who, at that point, are at the very moment this story leaves off), have their world "transform" into Present Lois and Clark's future (now present). laugh

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#68229 12/20/09 04:43 AM
Kerth
Kerth
More feedback! What a lovely thing to wake up to on an 18 F morning when my furnace is dying and the guy won't be here until tomorrow. The darn thing is almost as old as I am and we have a homeowner's warranty on it, but they won't replace it for free until it's well and truly dead. So we've been playing a game since October with the repair people wherein we call them when we think it's gone and they come out and resuscitate it. Eventually they're going to get tired of this game replace it like their policy says they will. Right? Right?

In the meantime, we have four portable heaters and we cart them around the house. And now I have some more lovely FDK to warm me, too. laugh

Artemis - Do I have to finish the nfic by December 25? Because I don't write nearly as fast as I used to and, while this one is technically "finished", but it's terribly unpolished. No promises, but I'll try to get it done by Thursday.

Vicki - Yes, exactly! They are the same people so they didn't disappear. It's like when you tell yourself, "I wish I'd known that when I was younger". They actually do know a thing or two. Also, you have the wittiest grandchildren. A grandson who wants an iPod and loves diamonds (real ones!) and now your very wise grand-daughters. Awww.

LnC Junkie - Thank you! I think it does read better in one shot and I'm delighted you thought it was worth the wait. I had so much fun picturing them in my mind interacting with their future/past selves. I've missed you, too! sloppy

countrygurl - I did see Frequency years ago. All I really remember about it is someone listening to the radio. blush Their futures selves don't disappear because they are their future selves. I'll try to explain my rationale at the bottom of this post. smile

cookiesmom - Thank you! Thank you for reading and thank you for taking the time to reply. It really does mean a lot. laugh

Okay, now for some thoughts on Flarks and Ploises. My guiding theory when I started the story was based on the "grandfather paradox" . Simply put, you can't go back in time and kill your own grandfather before he had children. To do so would make impossible your birth. If you're never born, how can you go back and kill yourself off?

It was this article in the NY Times that helped solidify the theory I was going to use. I'll quote, because it's easiest.

But what about killing your grandfather? In a well-ordered universe, that would be a paradox and shouldn't be able to happen, everybody agrees.

That was the challenge that Dr. Joe Polchinski, now at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics in Santa Barbara, Calif., issued to Dr. Thorne and his colleagues after their paper was published.

Being a good physicist, Dr. Polchinski phrased the problem in terms of billiard balls. A billiard ball, he suggested, could roll into one end of a time machine, come back out the other end a little earlier and collide with its earlier self, thereby preventing itself from entering the time machine to begin with.

Dr. Thorne and two students, Fernando Echeverria and Gunnar Klinkhammer, concluded after months of mathematical struggle that there was a logically consistent solution to the billiard matricide that Dr. Polchinski had set up. The ball would come back out of the time machine and deliver only a glancing blow to itself, altering its path just enough so that it would still hit the time machine. When it came back out, it would be aimed just so as to deflect itself rather than hitting full on.

So they aren't gone, they're just deflected. One little nudge and everything has changed. Luthor is dead, so there's no one to stop them from getting married before the New Kryptonians show up. Wells' theory was that Clark was altered by the NK's quantum disruptor, leaving him sterile. Now that problem is solved, too. And their future no longer includes that stupid clone/amnesia arc.

One caveat, the grandfather paradox assumes that time is circular, I deliberately made it linear in this story. Otherwise, as Flois laments at one point, she would be destined to live the past three years on a continual loop. I'd much rather they just got on with their lives - together. wink

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#68230 12/20/09 06:55 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I understand what you're getting at now. For the record, I hated the amnesia/clone arc and the NK arc, so I wont miss those in the stories.

"We've been sitting here all night and the longest conversation you've had with a woman was when your mom called."
Leonard to Howard: The Big Bang Theory
#68231 12/20/09 09:16 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hah, Sue! That's a brilliant theory! You don't kill your grandfather, you just deflect him! And the Flarks and Ploises play a lovely game of pinball deflection, resulting in the best of all possible worlds!

By deflecting your annoying grandfather (or the mistakes of your annoying younger self)...

[Linked Image]

...you create this!

[Linked Image]

...the best of all possible worlds, that is! laugh

And you saved us from the clone arrghh, too!!! sloppy sloppy sloppy

Ann

#68232 12/21/09 01:12 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
There's an alternate [nfic] version of part 8 gathering dust somewhere.
Part 8 or Part 9? confused I'm confused. In Part 8, there is a bit of necking going on in the future before Clark calls it off. In Part 9, Clark has proposed to Lois in the past, and the scene ends with her 'yes'. In Part 10, Lois wakes up in bed with Clark back in 1995. While she insists that "nothing happened" in the future, Clark is silent about what happened in the past. So... who did what with whom, when?

Off topic - thanks for your comment about my grandkids. They crack me up with the things they say.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#68233 12/21/09 09:17 AM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Love it, love it, love it!

I lurk now, mostly, but I had to delurk to tell you how much I loved it. smile

twins
metwin1

#68234 12/21/09 12:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Artemis - Do I have to finish the nfic by December 25? Because I don't write nearly as fast as I used to and, while this one is technically "finished", but it's terribly unpolished. No promises, but I'll try to get it done by Thursday.
Well, I really meant the Christmas season. I'm flexible. Just do your usual stupendous nfic job. I have forgotten - did any of the other sections have and companion nfic?
So sorry about your heater. I truly understand. Ours wouldn't work years back. It kept starting, then shutting itself off, so we did the heater dance too. So we got a new repairman, an old codger who had been around forever and still got up to go on the roof (where the heater is). He discovered the regular repair guys had never installed the manufacturers recommended updates through the years. That's why it wasn't working.
He fixed it and it has worked like a champ ever since. It was the second heater on the house.
So, good luck!
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#68235 12/27/09 04:32 AM
Kerth
Kerth
countrygurl - I'm glad that made sense. laugh And we're definitely of one mind on those late third season arcs.

Anne - You're back with pictures! I didn't think the younger Clark and Lois were annoying - they were just written that way (sort of like Jessica Rabbit). wink

Vicki - Definitely part 8. Let's just say that Lois is a lot more persuasive and Clark doesn't call things off after a little necking. Since this is an alternate version, Lois isn't lying in the original story when she assures Clark that nothing happened.

metwin1 - Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm delighted to have delurked you. smile1

Artemis - Nope, no other sections have an nfic version. I'm sorry to admit that I haven't done anything towards getting it ready for posting this week. But, given what week it is, I figured you might understand. The guy did come on Monday and replace the motor on our heater. For three glorious days it worked like it was brand-new. Then, on Christmas Eve, it conked out. My brother was here and he fiddled with it and found that the new wiring has a wire loose. He got it working, but that stray wire is still there, connected to nothing. We put in a call and the guy will be coming on Monday. He doesn't work weekends and holidays, you see. I obviously picked the wrong career path. smile

My thanks again to everyone who has commented. You've all made my holiday that much brighter. sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#68236 12/27/09 10:57 AM
S
sjp Offline
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Very belated feedback, but just thought I'd say that I was over the moon when I saw part 10 had been posted.

I think there is definite call for a sequel and an nfic version laugh

#68237 02/15/10 12:21 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
clap clap clap clap clap clap

I just devoured this entire story in a single gulp. And it was *wonderful*!!! Loads of fun, some incredibly cute moments, just the right layers of humor that fit in perfectly with the awesome show from which this story was made, excellently well in-character, charming, and quite sexy, too! I also skipped over to the alternate Chapter 8 (which is how I stumbled on this story in the first place by the way! lol), which was really really *HOT*, but I think the story works better overall without those two going all the way.

Thanks for a great Single-Awareness-Day hangover cure! :p clap clap clap

Love and hot fudge,
Bren Ren
Sue S. #299905 05/14/24 05:27 PM
A
Blogger
Blogger
A
I LOVED this. Since it’s a story from over a decade ago, I feel like my future self is commenting or something. I’ve been pretending I found this story back in 2009 and I’m just now commenting. wink

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by ArcadeDreams
I LOVED this. Since it’s a story from over a decade ago, I feel like my future self is commenting or something. I’ve been pretending I found this story back in 2009 and I’m just now commenting. wink

Hi, ArcadeDreams! wave

Are you participating in our FDK challenge?
https://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/299853/fdk-scavenger-hunt-may-2024#Post299853

If so, just edit your post to include a mention of the challenge and a quote to prove this story has a time travel, and then come over to our thread to say hi. smile

~•~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard