Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thoughts? Comments? Rotten tomatoes?

Features Writer
Features Writer
very good keep it up. This seems like an book almost.
smile1 thumbsup thumbsup

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Sorry for my short and incoherent reply. Maybe I will come back and add more after this semester is over and we have lived through the blizzard that may be coming.

The aftermath to the tsunami in Indonesia turned out better than I feared for Lois and Clark. The speculation about Ultrawoman's and Superman's love life waws limited to the trash tabloids. It wasn't like the speculation about Tiger Woods, for example, which has made it into the Op-Ed columns of New York Times, for example. (Not that I'm comparing Tiger Woods with Superman in any way, of course, except to say that if Superman had been real and people had known that he was married to the world's only female superhero, the interest in his faithfully monogamous marriage might have been even greater than the interest in Tiger Woods' many affairs.)

I agree with Lois that Clark is still a hero in every way. He went back to Indonesia so that he could help out more there, and he carried himself like a hero and managed to preserve his dignity, too.

Lois isn't bad at being a hero herself, come to think of it!

Dr. Friskin was great. I loved this:

“But you don't agree,” he replied. It was a statement, not a question.

“I can't make that decision for you. I know that in my professional opinion, it would have been good for you to wait a little longer before creating so much stress in your life. But I also know you; and I know how much stress you're under when you're not helping. You weighed those competing stressors and you made a decision. Now we need to figure out how to move forward given that decision.”
Wonderful. Clark seemed to expect a scolding, as if he had been an errant child. But Dr. Friskin treated him in every way like an adult, a person who had weighed his options, made a decision and now needed some advice about how to deal with the outcome of his decision.

I loved this, too:

Clark, you blame yourself because doing so means that you had some semblance of control over the events. Because if you had some control, then there's something you can do differently next time to prevent the same outcome. We need that sense of control, because without it, we feel lost. But not everything in life is within our power to control. You can't be responsible for Nor's actions. Or the actions of his followers. Or even your own generals.”
I think I've said something along those lines in some of my earlier FDK. It's so interesting that people may blame their own actions in order to keep up the illusion that they could have controlled events that were really out of their control.

I don't have time to say more, I'm afraid, but this was a wonderful chapter as usual!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow - another great part!

Clark is still very fragile. I do like how you've portrayed Dr. Friskin and her kind yet firm explaining of the facts to Clark. Yes, he will always probably feel some guilt. But when he can internalize that it wasn't all due to him, he'll be on the way to healing.

The tabloid pictures, the quavering voice - no doubt the world will take Superman to heart even more when they see that he has emotions, that he cares so much.

And I love how you've juxtaposed the flight into the Planet bullpen now and back at the beginning, and shown the price paid for using those superpowers. Very well done.

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Rac, that was a wonderful and eventful chapter. I know that Clark and Lois have a long way to go, but I can't help but feel hopeful that things are moving in the right direction.

I love Dr. Friskin. What a wonderful, helpful confidant for both of the world's superheroes. Her points were right on and reminded Clark (and me!) that the massacre at Silban was really out of his hands. His generals didn't give him the information because they were misled by a saboteur, not because of his inherent weakness. I'm so glad that Dr. Friskin mentioned that they also kept the information from Zara, as it gave credence to her comments that Clark really wasn't solely responsible.

Between Silban and the attempt to break Nor out of prison, you’re blaming yourself for the deaths of almost two thousand people.
In his conversation with Dr. Friskin, he mentioned the 2,000 people that died (that he feels responsible for), and all together many thousands more died in the war. It's been a while since I read the previous parts to this story, but has anyone ever pointed out to Clark how many lives would have been lost without his help? The Kryptonians came to earth looking for Kal-El for a reason. How many thousands of lives did he save by going? How much improved is their world because of his help? I wish someone would remind Clark that for all the death and destruction he was involved in, it would have been more devastating if he had never come.

I'm not sure the significance of Lois' humanitarian publicity announcement. It'll convey that the heroes are united in their efforts to care for the Indonesian people. Hopefully, Clark will see it as Lois being supportive and not another knock at his self-sufficiency.

Great stuff. I'm loving your more frequent posts and can't wait for more.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So the cape is officially out of the box and clever how you let him state that Krypton is still out there, needing them from time to time clap I also think that's the first time Superman officially lied to the press, instead of just choosing his words carefully.

Great part!
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Just checking to see when we will see the next part

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in posting the next part. I've been insanely busy since the Haitian earthquake - I work for the federal government in D.C. and have been spending nights and weekends helping with the arrangements to evacuate Americans, get medical care for the injured, and figure out how to get Haitian orphans' adoption proceedings expedited. I assume you can imagine that it's been extremely hectic.

I'll post more when I can.

Thanks,

Rac

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Thanks for the update

I am sure the extra work you are putting in is very helpful and appreciated by a lot of people you do not even know.

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Gee, we sure could have used Superman in Haiti... frown

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your patience and my apologies for the delay. Since I'm no longer working on an emergency task force and the federal government is effectively shut down due to the snow, I've had some time to write.

Lovesuper97, thanks for your comments, I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

Ann, I'm glad that you liked the back and forth between Clark and Dr. Friskin. When I worked with survivors of torture, our consulting therapists always told us how important having a sense of control is. We take for granted the ordinary control we have over our everyday lives - what to wear, what to eat, whom to talk to, etc. When that's gone, it can demolish your sense of self. I know you've been extremely busy, so thanks for always commenting. It's very much appreciated.

Iolanthealias, I'm sure Lois hopes that you're right - that when people see the price of heroism, they'll appreciate Superman more. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed this part.

Thanks for your comments, BJ (and sorry for going on hiatus just after you complimented my posting schedule wink ). I really like writing Dr. Friskin (although she's tough, since not being a psychiatrist, it takes some work to figure out what she would say and I'm sure I'm still getting it very, very wrong wink )

Thanks for your comments, Michael. Superman did indeed lie to the press, but in the grand scheme of things, I see post-New Krypton Clark as less concerned about things like that. He's still mostly a moral absolutes kind of guy, but he knows this lie is necessary to protect his family.

More is coming up right now. Thanks again, everyone!

Regards,

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard