Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Feedback here.

Thanks.

Corrina.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! I have only just found this story and read it from the very beginning to the end of this part over the last two days, just couldn't keep away from it! Outstanding! I never thought I would enjoy a story away from the traditional Lois/Clark scenario on Earth, though I have a hunch it will turn out that Kal was Clark up until he was taken back to NK afterall - and if so I can't wait to read how you will work that into the story! This is an awesome story that has kept me captivated the whole way through and I am now eager to read more! More soon please! I can hardly wait for your next instalment! Thank you!

Jaz Offline
Blogger
Blogger
Great story! Has me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next line to read. Makes me always wanting more. More soon Please!!

Thanks!!

Jaz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stress: The confusion created when ones' mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately needs it.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Outstanding chapter! I'm satisfied by Ching's apology and promise to put his people ahead of himself in the future. He realization that he has lost honor, and that loss of honor will go down in the history books, shows humility and regret, and gives me faith that New Krypton is in good hands. And given what I hope awaits Lois and Kal at the end of their journey, it ends up being a win-win situation overall.

I'm glad that Kal was able to see his father's image one last time -- as was Tek -- and Kal has proof that his parents did "have care" for each other. Jor-El's willingness to put his wife above his people at the end showed that clearly. Kal may have lost his memories of his first 15 years, but he will now always have the memory of his father's love for his family.

Lois's attempt to have Riz and Tek say "thank you" was a stroke of genius. (Both for her and for you.) What a clever way to show us that Kal's ability to learn English so quickly was not something that all Kryptonians could do. I think Lois is clueing in, along with the readers, that Earth could be "The Distant Planet" that housed Kal after all. I'm sure she's almost afraid to hope, but the signs are all there. I just hope that being back "home" will somehow be able to trigger those memories in Kal, either by being surrounded by the sights and sounds or by being helped by the yellow sun.

I am sad that this story is wrapping up, but at the same time, I can't wait for the final chapters.

Kathy

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Will Lois have an Earth wedding?

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Tek looked to Kal. “There is something you need to know,” he said. “Time on The Distant Planet ... the past ten years on New Krypton could be any number of years there. It is likely they have counted more years than you have.”
Hmm... So, does this mean that the 50-year lifespan a Kryptonian has on New Krypton means that the days and years are twice as long on New Krypton? But that doesn't explain Ard still looking young. clap Nice to see them having a farewell smile

“Thank you,” Lois said, slowly and clearly.

Tek made a noise deep in his throat – a noise that bore no resemblance to either Kryptonian or Lois’s language.

Lois smiled. “Try to say ‘tan koo’.”

Again Tek came forth with a guttural sound.

“Would you try please, Riz?” Lois asked.

She tried, but the sounds were no closer than Tek’s efforts.
Yeah, that's a big, flashy 'Kal once knew English' sign.

So, now there are four parts left. One for the journey, landing on a cornfield. One for meeting his foster parents again. One for settling in. And the last one for Clark learning about the yellow sun.

Michael jump

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Columnist
Columnist
I recently caught up on this story, and I love it!

Like others I'm completely convinced that Kal's English speaking abilities are a result of him living on Earth. What I want to know now is how much Martha and Jonathan know about Kal, and how they handled him leaving for New Krypton.

But I'm sure those questions will be answered soon. wink

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part! I love the clues you are leaving! On to the happy ending.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm so happy Kal is able to leave behind people who are still loyal to him and who will defend him. No matter what damage Nor instituted, he didn't win, in my mind.

Looking forward to the Distant Planet!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I've lost a bit of my enthusiasm for this fic since I realized that Lois and Kal were going to the Earth, since the amateur astronomer in me can't stop pointing out that such return trips in space aren't possible. For all of that, I'm still reading, and I found this part really enjoyable. There were several really tense and emotional moments, so I certainly wasn't bored! I loved how Zara and Ching came to say good-bye to Lois and Kal. I found it interesting, and quite believable as well as moving, that Kal found it hard to really forgive Ching. Kal must be one of the nicest guys ever in this quadrant of the galaxy (I so do hope you aren't telling me that New Krypton is in another quadrant of the galaxy!!!! eek grovel ), but even he wasn't able to quite forgive Ching for his treason. Ah, but he almost forgave him. Fascinating.

It was fascinating, too, that so many NKers were prepared to defend Kal with their lives. But I hope there will be no civil war.

And the "tan koo" thing was lovely again. I loved how Lois thanked Tek and Riz.

Very good chapter, Corinna!

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ahhh, now there's some interesting comments; I never picked up on the clue as to Kal's easy ability to learn English could be because he really already knew it. An excellent and subtle clue. I like it!

Top Banana
Top Banana
So they're off.

A note on what they are leaving behind on NK. Ching said:
my mistakes will forever be displayed in History
I sense a problem. If Ching were to really make his role in the fall of Kal known, whatever else he might intend, what he would be doing is provide a living example that an act of treachery had let to the highest position on the planet.

Unless you are trying to promote the position that "cheaters win," I'm not sure that is the example you want to teach to the children.

Bob

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
earth?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow I loved the closure with Za and Ching. I am glad Kal knows his father sent him to another planet and he did have a life before New Krypton. I am surprised by the astronomy comment about the space travel. If a woman can see through walls and a man can fly I don't see the problem. With Lois and Clark we saw different dimensions and time travel too. How hard can it be to fly to a planet in that Universe<g>. Anyway, I really enjoyed this chapter. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes from here. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
elizabeth How nice to hear from you! Thanks for reading and commenting. Wow! The whole thing in a couple of days!

Welcome - a little belatedly. It's good to have someone else from this part of the world on the boards.

Jaz Thanks, Jaz. It's always exciting to find out others have been reading.

Kathy I'm so glad the issue with Ching was resolved satisfactorily for you. More about that when I reply to Bob.

Thanks for all your FDK.

SJH

Will Lois have an Earth wedding?
No, both Lois and Kal are adamant that their wedding on NK was real. To have another wedding would lessen the importance of the first one.

Thanks.

Michael More about time differences later in the fic.

So, now there are four parts left. One for the journey, landing on a cornfield. One for meeting his foster parents again. One for settling in. And the last one for Clark learning about the yellow sun.
Well, when you put it like that wink

Now I think I'll need 42 parts!!

Beth Another new reader! wave Iolanthe - I hope it is OK that I quote your email. You gave me such a great answer, it was easier to quote you than try to explain it myself.

I'm not really sure that he deserves more retribution, though - being the Supreme Ruler of NK in a time of change (and I'm sure that Za will ensure that changes *are* made) might be retribution enough. He'll be the one that will have to juggle the political footballs and keep the delicate balance between North and South for many years more, until the NKer's get over that silly thing and decide that they're all Kryptonians.

Now Ching is the one who has to deal with the stultifying formality due to the Supreme Ruler; the constant wants/requests/whining of his people; the intransigent Cabinet; being the SR on a planet where there basically is no tradition to guide him in holding the SRship; and being on a hardscrabble planet where everyday life is a struggle. For example, maybe the drills have found water and bought some time, but it's only a stopgap. Ching had better come up with a new water plan pretty soon. No luxuries on New Krypton, no!

Nor was the kind of ruler who would see the SRship in terms of what he could get out of it. Ching is the type who will see the SRship as duty and responsibility to his people. He's going to have to work hard and (as usual for good leaders) get little reward.
So, I don't see Ching as 'winning'. Kal and Lois have improved things on NK, but it still won't be easy. And Ching has learnt from Kal that true leadership is a lot more about service than privilege.

So maybe the lessons for the kids could be that people make mistakes, but just as important is how they turn from those mistakes and try to make amends.

But if (and it's a big if at this stage) I write a sequel one day, I think there would have to be something in it about Ching having found being the SR to be tough going.

Thanks for your thoughts, Bob.

Sarah You think? smile

Laura Thanks for saying you liked the closure. I felt we had to give them one final scene - and show that Ching had realised he had made mistakes.

Thanks,

Corrina.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm another reader who read parts 1-35 in a couple of days. I very much am enjoying the direction that your story is going in, even though there are some predictable elements ahead. It was at bedtime last night that I figured out where Clark's language skills came from. All along I've found it interesting that Clark is interested in learning Lois' language, but she hasn't shown the slightest interest in learning his except to be able to write her own stories.

Elisabeth

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm late to the party (again). At least I made it before the next installment was posted. I think I've already missed one or two feedback threads altogether. RL, arg!! razz

Random thoughts:

Tek and Riz not being able to make sounds compatible with English does seem to be yet another hint that Kal once knew English. (Another clue was the give-away line in a much earlier chapter about Kal never having seen the written characters of English before, "How could he have?")

During the show, I always thought Clark's ability to learn every language under the sun was because he was Kryptonian. The scene with Tek and Riz eliminates that possibility, making me even more sure Kal was raised on earth. - I love the way everything ties together. I think if I were ever to try my hand at writing, I'd just write this long, rambling story that wanders off into nowhere. I am (as I've said before) amazed at your story-telling ability. In fact, that's why I frequent these boards - I'm amazed at the incredible talent of all the folcs posting here!

Someone pondered in an earlier feedback thread about Superman's "S" on Lois's hand. That got me thinking, and reminded me of the scene in the show where Superman was shot with a kryptonite bullet. When the bullet was removed, the wound healed itself. So.... wouldn't the brand on her hand heal itself when she became super?

I totally expected the globe to come to life when Tek touched it. I was confused when it didn't. I was even MORE confused when it DID come to life the second time Tek touched it. dance

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Firstly ...

jump

Finished!

Elisabeth Thanks, Elisabeth. I'm stunned that anyone could read that much in a few days!

You're right, Lois didn't show much interest in learning Kryptonian. However, she had the translator allowing her to communicate, so the need to learn wasn't so immediate. Also, she had so many other things to adjust to that learning the language was pushed to the 'one day soon' pile.

Vicki Thanks for your FDK, Vicki. Don't worry about being late - all feedback is much appreciated.

So, when do we get Part 38?
Just heading there right now. I'll re-read it and then post it.

Thanks

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard