Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I never saw this coming. I don't know, the stand-alone piece never felt like this could be an option. The 'I love you. - I know.' through me completely off. clap Great save, though, anyway.

Wonder if this is going to be the second story within a month that costs Lois a hand. dizzy

I'm sure Clark's still alive and kicking, or Lois wouldn't have responded like this:
“Not a problem,” he said. He started to turn then looked back at her. “Lane, if by some miracle ‘he’ gets in touch with you… make sure he understands about the termination order.”

“I thought you said he was dead,” Lois reminded him.
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Lois can die and not be returned, at least not in her own body. If Clark dies, he will be returned as himself and in his own body.
Um, I had a good and logical reason for that - 1. The New Kryptonians would have had no reason to clone Lois, 2. Lois herself chose to transmigrate into that body. 3. Lois and Clark can now be on equal terms in life span.

Also, just in general - Lois is a character that grows and learns and changes. She starts out as a hard-bitten reporter, transforms into a smitten fan-girl when Superman shows up and after time (depending on the writer at DC) morphs into a suitable partner for Superman.

Clark doesn't really change. Once he figures out how to be Superman, he doesn't really grow and maybe that's one of the reasons the show didn't go into the fifth season - Lois had already grown into being capable of being a mother - Clark could not be allowed to grown into a father.

Just my 2 cents.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Everyone here is probably a Superman fan, but I don't think you can love LnC without also being a Lois fan. After all, whose name comes first? On a less facetious note, the defining difference between the Superman character in LnC and the other incarnations of Superman is his humanity, expressed in part by his deep love for Lois. You can view it either as a strength or as a "fatal flaw," but he wouldn't exist without Lois and he can't survive without her. That doesn't explain why so many of us are willing to see Superman destroyed in Dandello's story (because I agree that the standalone story was more powerful but I like the continuation too). Maybe the answer is that in spite of being a murderer and evil, he never lost his love for Lois?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree with HappyGirl and think that you should post both versions. One would be only Chapter One ("Taking Down A God") and the other would be Chapter One (again) plus the subsequent chapters. That way people could get the full benefit of the WHAM in the short story as HG described in her well-reasoned comment.

Besides, I love your writing and I want two stories for the price of one! smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
I found the original story to be very sad. As can be seen from my post on that story, I took it to be our real, original Clark that was insane. Either he always had been or something had driven him that way.

Since I tend to overreact to these types of stories, I have to be very careful and I almost didn’t read it. Once I did I found that I could both tolerate and appreciate the story.

For me, the difference was that even though Clark had gone insane, his love for Lois was still there, even if it were in a very twisted form. Then, when Lois participated in Superman’s demise, it was not an act of callousness, but was instead also an act of love in the only way possible in the situation.

I would almost think that an alternate prequel might be in order. We have the mad-clone story, which I like and want to see the rest. However, I suspect that the tragedy version of the story could be very good also.

There is a lot of potential for a back-story where our real Clark is driven insane by… I don’t know, Pink Kryptonite, and Lois had to take him down with full knowledge of who he had been. Then had to face moving on understanding both what she lost and the idea that she had no choice.

I probably couldn’t read it, (way too whinging ) but I can see the tragic beauty of such a story.

Bob

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
As for the Long, Strange Journey (I seem to remember it as Long, Strange Trip), it wasn't "our" Clark who was evil. It was another version of him.

Bottom line (or more specifically, the point I want to make): Terry gets accolades for posting a story where Lois remains hopelessly corrupted. Dandello gets accolades for posting a story where Clark is redeemed. Lois can be hopelessly corrupted, but Clark is incorruptible. That's what makes me so depressed.

My real problem, of course, is that I have spent so many years reading Superman comics and watching Superman movies, and I have come across many stories where I think Superman made a choice that was morally wrong. And yet, Superman is never regarded as evil or acknowledged as evil.

In spite of how I hate the movie "Superman II", where Superman zapped Lois's mind into oblivion to cover up the fact that he had made love to her and to remove her knowledge of his secret identity, I wouldn't go so far as to describe his actions in that movie as "evil". I do find them cowardly and contemptible and extremely un-heroic, but not downright evil. Interestingly, though, there is a fic posted here on these boards where I think Superman crosses the line into evilness, and that is, also interestingly, a fic by Terry. I mention his name only because Terry is also the person who wrote the fic about the evil Lois.

In the fic where I think Terry's Superman crosses the line into evilness he actually rips open the chest of a criminal, Bill Church, and rips out the heart from his chest, thus killing him. It is a very graphic, horrible and hate-filled way of killing a person. And yet, a major point of Terry's fic is to prove that Superman did nothing illegal when he killed Bill Church like that, and therefore he should not be punished by the law. (The question of whether or not Superman did something evil when he ripped out Bill Church's heart is not really discussed.) A major point of that fic is to exonerate Superman and say that Superman can be Superman even if he has literally ripped a bad person's heart out of his chest.

Clark is not condemned as evil in the fic where he kills a man by ripping out his heart. But Lois was definitely portrayed as morally corrupt and, in the words of Star Wars-speak, lost to the other side in The Cold Shoulder. I only read parts of TCS, so I don't know exactly what Lois did or didn't do in that fic, but it is my impression that she didn't kill anyone. And yet we all "know" that she became evil there. Clark, on the other hand, ripped out a criminal's heart in that other fic, but there were no major complaints about the fact that Clark was allowed to commit murder in such a gruesome way and still be regarded as at least basically himself afterwards. (Well, there were strong complaints from one person, namely from me. What I disliked the most was not that Clark ripped out Bill Church's heart, although I certainly disliked it. In my opinion it was worse that the fic didn't really censor Clark for his actions and that in the end, we were still asked to accept Clark Kent as a good person, and the general public of the LnC universe were asked to regard Superman as a trustworthy hero.)

So Clark can do horrible things and still be good, but Lois can become hopelessly evil even if she hasn't done anything comparable to ripping a person's heart out of his chest. Because Lois's moral compass can be made to point the wrong way, due to the fact that she is Lois, but Clark is morally infallible almost regardless of what he does, because he is Clark. And therefore there is always some excuse or explanation that takes the sting out of his seemingly horrible transgressions. Because he is Clark, and he is Superman.

Ann

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
One more thing about the movie, Superman II. Superman's actions in that movie have been criticized by many people on these boards, for example by Terry. The way I remember the general reception of the movie when it arrived in 1980, however, people generally seemed to like it. There were some complaints about the fact that Superman had had sex with Lois, but none, as far as I'm aware, about the fact that he had found a way of getting himself out of trouble by giving Lois amnesia.

The latest Superman movie was roundly critized, however. I came across many posts on a Superman site where people were very angry about the fact that the Man of Steel unexpectedly turned out to have a son. The Superman fans were angry that their hero had to suffer the consequences of his actions. Never mind that he had done something wrong in the first place, but the fact that he was made to suffer for it was really a bad thing.

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
With apologies yet again for straying into territory not directly pertaining to this story...

Bottom line: Terry gets accolades for posting a story where Lois remains hopelessly corrupted. Dandello gets accolades for posting a story where Clark is redeemed.
Ann, in my opinion, your "bottom line" is based on a misconception. Terry did not receive accolades because Lois remained corrupted. Dandello's accolades were not because Clark is redeemed - if you read the first part of the story, you'll know that it was not clearly stated who the evil Superman was. I was one who never even thought of the clone, but automatically assumed that something unimaginable had happened to change *our* Clark. Although I am definitely enjoying the continuation of Dandello's story, I thought that first part was incredibly powerful, trying to fathom what had turned Clark to the dark side and how horrible it was that Lois was having to destroy the man she loved. Just as I thought Terry's story was very powerful in describing the fall-out from the agreement to freeze Lois and how it changed everyone's lives irrevocably.

I appreciated reading the journey that these characters travelled. I do appreciate that not everyone feels the same way, since everyone has different feelings and responses to what they read. So how can you so easily state *the* bottom line?

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
So how can you so easily state *the* bottom line?
I didn't actually say "the" bottom line. But let me change it, then, into "my" bottom line.

In my opinion, though, you don't really want to understand what my complaint is. I specifically asked, after Terry's fic was posted, if it was possible to post a story where Clark became evil in the same way that Lois became evil in The Cold Shoulder. Dandello answered the challenge by posting this fic. But now she has actually said that, no, Clark can't be made to be evil in the same way that Lois was made to be evil in TCS. And that's what I feel bad about, particularly since I think there is plenty of evidence that Clark's behaviour hasn't always been exemplary.

Ann

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
One more thing. I have absolutely no objections to the idea that an evil clone of Superman would terrorize Metropolis, until Lois took him down. I also have no problem whatsoever with the idea that the real Clark is on ice somewhere because he has been seriously injured, but after a while he will return as his uncorrupted, strong and noble self again.

No, I have absolutely no problem with that idea. My problem is that I see this fic as an answer to my challenge, which was to write a story where "our" Clark gets corrupted for real. Now Dandello tells me that she, at least, can't write such a story, so she is posting this one instead, which proves the opposite of what I asked for in my challenge. I asked for a story where Clark gets corrupted and get one where I'm told that he can't be corrupted.

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
You're right, Ann, the emphasis on *the* bottom line was mine. I apologize for stressing that so strongly.

And I do understand how you could be disappointed that this story is not answering the challenge as stated. But Dandello did respond that she was twisting things - something along the lines that she can never respond to a challenge exactly as issued. Also, I haven't seen any reference to Dandello saying that Clark can't be corrupted, although obviously that isn't going to happen in this particular story.

If you regard the first part as a stand-alone, certainly one could infer that this was in fact *our* evil Clark. (As a number of us did.) Or perhaps someone else will write such a story. Maybe you could, since you feel strongly about it.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, considering most people think Clark would never be induced to commit suicide...

One of the best 'Lois deals with a deranged Clark' is (in my opinion) Yellow Fever .

It's just that Clark is harder to corrupt. (The Superman movies not withstanding.)

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
In many ways I feel like we're digging up a dead horse again. This conversation has been discussed and argued in many different forms over the years.

I did want to make one more note that actually pertains to the writing of this story. I had some extra time today so I reread it again. I realized that Dandello had made it quite clear that she was dealing with a flashback. If I hadn't chosen to copy that line, open a new window, start a feedback file, and paste it there I probably would have noticed it. As it was, I glossed over some important words in the process.

I still think it's a great story and look forward to part 3.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, brava, Dandello. Great story.

Terry asked us to concentrate on Dandello's story and quit commenting on his.

And, yes, I agree that much of this feedback is s rehash of things that have been discussed repeatedly on this board.

Ann, have you ever watched the LnC shows? The shows for which this ficdom is named for? And if you want a story about a very evil Superman then try writing it yourself. I'm sure you could do it justice.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard