OP Offline
Kerth
Feedback goes here!

Thanks.

Corrina.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Corrina, I really must go to bed now but I just have to say clap

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Auuuugggghhhhh! Great part! clap

I can't wait to see what they do to circumvent Nor's plot. And Lois DOES love Kal enough to worry about his feelings.

sloppy

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Wow! I could feel Lois' pain and feeling of isolation. However Nor has miscalculated because he does not understand they are stronger together. I hope to see the next part soon.

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow that Kal had been given re set was a shocker! So he did have a life! I wonder if he will ever get it back. Meanwhile, how will Lois find the other page so Kal can dispute Nor. Arrrg! Not to mention they still have to iron things out between them. Sigh... It is going to be another long wait to find out isn't it. I hope you post soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When I beta'd, I sent a comment back to Corrina:

"Nor and Ked = EVIL EVIL EVIL"

And one of their biggest crimes is erasing Kal's memory of Kip-Or, the man who was effectively his father for the first fifteen years of his life.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, there's only one solution. Lois needs to swallow her pride, find Za, and bring Za and the original Law together.

I'm sort of itching for Lois to be given an opportunity to lure Nor into physically attacking her. Boy, will he be surprised when he isn't able to make her budge. Rather it will feel as if he's running head first into multi-car train. Ouch!

Za to the rescue, please, Corinna!

Ann

Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, I'm totally with Ann on this one ... that would be a great solution. Really tough for Lois to do, but there is no doubt she would do anything to help Kal.

As for the rest of it ... I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!! The little hamster in my mind not only fell off the wheel but began jumping around like crazy, LOL. Did Clark Kent exist for 15 years? Oh, no wonder Martha and Jonathan were so heartbroken! (Assuming, of course, that's where you really end up going with this and they are the parents under the yellow sun.) But it would all fit ... how Kal learned English so quickly, how reading the stories aloud stirred up such memories, how he was able to reveal his emotions. Man oh man, talk about introducing a twist into a story already chock full of them. You are clearly a genius and I am honored to be allowed to read the crumbs you toss for us. notworthy notworthy notworthy

rotflol

Of course, after getting to gorge myself on three parts in one evening, I'm back to having to wait anxiously for the next chapter. What I wouldn't give for a time machine right now! More, more, more! Please?

Kathy

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Kathy - you're a genius! I never even went there - I figured he'd been hiding out in one of those case near the cliffs...

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, great plot twist! That's why he has a sense of right and wrong!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Are the mother and the father really Martha and Jonathan? I guess they could be, and that would explain why Kal said to Lois soon after she had arrived on New Krypton that he had heard of the Earth, but it was uncharted. I thought that sounded very weird. But of course, if Kal spent several years of his childhood on the Earth, a part of him should recognize the name of that planet when he heard it. (And if he spent his years on the Earth with Martha and Jonathan, speaking English with them, that would explain his amazing ability to learn English almost perfectly in a couple of weeks. He wouldn't be learning English so much as gradually remembering it.)

In fact I think that Kal's memories haven't been destroyed, but suppressed. That would explain why his moral compass remains so unshakably strong. I'm not saying that Kal isn't an extremely good person in himself, but the moral upbringing he got from whoever took care of him (Jor and La? Martha and Jonathan? Kip?) agreed so strongly with his own gentle and caring personality that his belief in right and wrong and the caring for the weak couldn't be erased by a amnesia drug.

Also, if Kal's memories have been suppressed rather than destroyed, that would explain why he was so well-functioning after he had been mind-wiped. He still knew so many things, but he had no idea why he knew them.

Fascinating! I'm really looking forward to more!

Ann

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm glad to see, too, that Lois realized that she had been in the wrong when she lashed out at Kal. She realized that Kal had made her a so much better person, but that was precisely why she couldn't share him:

Lois knew her capacity for altruism did not extend to sharing the man she loved.

Not sharing him with a woman … a wife … a wife of ten years' standing. A woman he now knew ... and respected ... and with whom he had negotiated a deal for the benefit of their planet.

She knew that would eat away at her. It would feed her bitterness and her insecurities and her relentless need to right the wrongs - even if, in the process, she wronged the people in the right.

And that would mean Kal.
Fascinating. Lois understands that she has this relentless need to right the wrongs, even if in the process she wrongs the people who are in the right! Namely, Kal!

And she fears that she will destroy this kind and gentle man:

If she didn't marry Kal, she would destroy him – her rejection would quash the new vitality in his life and again reduce him to being merely a shell of the man he was born to be.

If she did marry Kal, she would destroy him – slowly, over time, as her jealousy frothed and reared and eroded all that was good between them.
Well, the fact that she realizes this at all is a good place for her to start making things better! I'm hopeful that Lois is up to it.

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
eek
Wow! You weren't kidding when you said this part would be a cliffhanger! I knew it was strange that Kal would awaken from hiatus already knowing language. You are amazing to be able to put those little clues in the beginning.

So was he on Earth or on New Krypton? If he was on Earth, then what he sounds like without the Translator should be something like English. Lois thought they were more like sounds than a language. Although, if this is true, I have no idea who the parents under a yellow sun could be. I don't think they are Sam and Ellen. Just my two cents. smile

Perry: (To Lois) Honey, this could be greatest story since Superman came to town. By-the-by, where is that husband of yours?
--Faster Than a Speeding Vixon
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow, that was awesome! So if Tek learns about the Re-set, can he make an antidote??

It sounds like Kip might really be dead, though, which is sad.

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Wow...definitely didn't see that coming! You've told us so much more and yet left us with so many more questions!

This part was great, though. Nor is so evil, but Lois has created her own network of the undervalued and underestimated of New Krypton society. I do think that Lois and Za would be a pretty formidable team.

I can't wait to see what happens!

Amber

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Corrina, waking up and seeing part 27 had magically appeared was awesome, but then I saw that right next to it was this huge FDK thread. And that scared the living ‘sulfurous place’ out me wink But, I still braved this part. Okay, I just chalked it up to a fair warning for a great ride, buckled in, and burned right through it. But since I believe you want to actually see some FDK, instead of reading about me getting ready to give FDK, here you go. Oh, and I don’t mind if Kathy’s trick works again.

She loved Kal so much.
hyper

The thought of him with his *wife* had seared weeping blisters across her heart.

Lois knew her capacity for altruism did not extend to sharing the man she loved.

Not sharing him with a woman … a wife … a wife of ten years’ standing. A woman he now knew ... and respected ... and with whom he had negotiated a deal for the benefit of their planet.
Aww and she is still a bit irrational on that part

The side she had condemned to perennial hibernation as she had fought and spat and clawed her way up the ladder of her career.
/clap/

If she didn’t marry Kal, she would destroy him – her rejection would quash the new vitality in his life and again reduce him to being merely a shell of the man he was born to be.

If she did marry Kal, she would destroy him – slowly, over time, as her jealousy frothed and reared and eroded all that was good between them.
Now there’s a problem. Wonder how you’re going to write yourself out of that corner. If only you (or Lois) could fly. Oh, wait…

And then *they* would be the family … and she would be the angry alien woman.
I know it’s sad and everything but the ‘angry alien woman’ bit just cracked me up. I can just see the alien floating in her corner, holding her cat, and pointing her antennae the family at the table, snarling as she chews her chopsticks.

With one conversation between Kal and his wife, the entire landscape of being the second wife had become intolerable.
One switch of a button and the entire world made *boooom*.

When Lois emerged from the semi-consciousness of troubled slumber, her swollen eyelids felt like they were lined with sand. Her brain had been reduced to a water-logged pulp.
Interesting. Why is Lois’ invulnerable body still reacting like that? Must be psychosomatic.

He would be hurting – maybe even more than she was. He probably didn’t even fully understand why she had reacted with such animosity.

But he would understand the damage done to their relationship.
Awww and she hadn’t said ‘the damage he had done’.

She’d half-expected him to seek her out – but he had not come.
After that blow-up?

They *had* to work out something.
Seeee? Told ya.

She peeked through his door and saw the shape of him in his bed.
You know, I was scared of all sorts of things at this point. A missing Kal. A Kal that’s not alone. Talking. Not what you think. Of course, talking could be just as bad.

The sight of him spawned an idea. Maybe she should go in there and climb in beside him and disengage her mind and her objections and her ideals and allow their love the expression they both wanted. Maybe then she would be able to accept that her portion was the faithful love of a wonderful man – a man who could offer her the exclusiveness of his heart and his body, but not the exclusiveness of his name.
Down, girl.

Lois needed a solution – not a quick fix.
And in this universe, it really would be a *quick* fix.

Lois ran her fingers across the script. She needed to learn to read Kryptonian - not only to enable her to plumb the intricacies of Kryptonian Law, but also to establish a newspaper. And a library.
/nods solemnly/

Then she saw them - tiny specks of paper peeking from the crevice between the pages. Lois gently eased it wider, revealing a trickle of fragments.

A page had been ripped from this book.

When?
Did not see that coming.

Had someone removed the portion of the law that allowed the Supreme Ruler to marry more than one woman?
Interesting question. But I somehow doubt it. I think. Oh, what do I know.

His hair was mussed and his eyes underscored with shadows. His pants were made of a soft, black material and hung loosely from his hips to his ankles – where his bare feet emerged. His white undershirt clung tightly across his chest and upper arms, but sat slack enough across the waistband of his pants that the slightest movement would risk revealing a sliver of skin.
Her first morning-Kal

Lois was sure no one had ever looked so good.

Then she remembered how they had parted the previous evening. “Hi,” she offered.
Hilarious and sad at the same time.

“I think someone came here after the Report yesterday and removed the part that allows you to marry a second wife,” Lois said.

Kal’s eyes dropped to the book and then he shook his head. “No,” he said. “The page has been missing longer than that.”
Hmmmm…

“Aren’t the pages numbered?”

“No.”
Pages not numbered. Paragraphs not numbered. How do they find anything in there. Anything at all.

Kal considered it. “That is possible - there is no carryover sentence, no break in the text to arouse suspicion.”
After reading the rest, it does make a lot of sense. After all, if the person writing this book knows he’s going to rip the page out, he would make sure it is possible with the least amount of trace left.

Lois reached for the book. “Maybe *I* can,” she said.
You know, ‘Just say Noah’ – Female Hawk – Supervision to read yesterday’s words.

Nor had expected his news would alarm his father. Instead, he merely said, “It is good, my son.”

“But Father, you said *I* would be the Supreme Ruler of New Krypton.”
Petulent little twirp. Hilarious.

“And so you shall be, my son.”

“But how, Father?” Then Nor knew. “We’re going to kill Kal-El?” he queried eagerly.

“No.”
I wonder if patricide has been bred out of the noble-born on Krypton.

“I told you I did not believe the claims that Kal-El had survived the Transition and was living in seclusion somewhere on New Krypton,” his father corrected.

“You were wrong,” Nor snarled.

“So it seems.”
Temper, young one. Temper. *sigh* both the Emperor *and* Yoda would be most disappointed with this youngling.

“There is another tool of war, my son.”

Nor pouted. “Which is?”

“Patience.”
clap

“Patience is for the weak and unimaginative.”
clap

“There is a little known Law ... a Law that hasn’t been enacted in many centuries. A Law that says if the Supreme Ruler fails to provide an heir within the timeframe, the mantle can be removed from him.”
eek

“One hundred, twenty-five months.”
dizzy

Ked rubbed his chin as he thought. “He wouldn’t fight anyway, he’s always supported unification.”

“Then he is dispensable,” Nor concluded.

“Totally,” Ked agreed.
[…]
“Can you ensure there will be no trail back to you?”

Nor sniggered. “Of course.”

“Well done, my son.”
This is so magnificently evil.

In a few hours, Kal-El would be in exile.

He would not fight the Law.

He would not fight for *his* rights.

Of that, Nor had no doubt.

Kal-El only ever fought for the rights of others.

He would accept his failure and would not dispute his disgrace.
So, maybe, Nor *is* jumping the gun? And he does not yet know about the angry alien woman Kal-El now has by his side. And she is a wild one.

Kal watched over her shoulder. After a few minutes, he said, “I don’t recognise the part of the Law you are writing. I am sure I have never read this.”

“What does it say?” Lois asked.

When Kal didn’t answer immediately, she turned from her task and looked into his face. He had coloured a little. “Basically it is instructions for the diagram,” he said.
laugh

Lois continued writing for a few minutes, then stopped. “What does it say?”

Again Kal didn’t answer. Again, when she turned, he was looking uncomfortable.

“Well?” she asked.

He cleared his throat. “It is instructions for obtaining the sample.”

“But if you never read this, how did -.” Lois felt the colour flood to her face. “Ah ... forget I ...”
rotflol

Lois raised her shoulder and brushed his hand with a soft kiss.

When her mouth lifted from him, he crouched at her side.

“Lois,” he said. “I’m -.”
Awwww

The door flung open and four armed soldiers charged in.

They were followed by Nor, Ching and Yent.

Kal straightened, though his hand remained on Lois’s shoulder.

Nor stepped forward. “Kal-El,” he said, his voice coldly triumphant. “You are hereby informed that under the Law of New Krypton, having failed in your duty to provide the necessary heir within the allotted timeframe, you have been deposed as the Supreme Ruler of this planet.”
shock I think I might be out of smilies so I’ll just put it this way: You just deposed Carol.

Corrina, this was awesome! And the ideas coursing around in this FDK thread, well, I do admit, Kal on Earth has potential, now with the Re-set. Did I say, ‘awesome’? And what about part 28. I want to see what Lois does to Nor. I don’t think Za has a complete volume, or she would have told Kal and not lied to his face. After all, Nor becoming Supreme Ruler would be bad for her, too. Now, of course, that she’s just the wife of a commoner, Nor probably doesn’t even care for her as a concubine and he already has a wife. So, Kal can release her, return to being Supreme Ruler by producing an heir before the 125 months are up, and get back to being happy.

Michael

PS: Is part 28 up already?

PPS: Just kidding.

PPPS: Or not.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I am completely in awe of the way this story has been mapped out and the little clues there have been throughout. Once again, hyper Like so many other times in this fic, she (or he sometimes) chose the most sensible option of talking it through rather than stewing on it any longer and dwelling on the negatives. Again, I think this freedom and honesty has a lot to do with the unique circumstances of their relationship and how it is completely fresh and new. It is so far removed from any of Lois' previous relationships that it presents a whole new set of rules and Kal has never had a relationship before, because of this they really have to work together to make it work. The complete trust helps also (or it did!). Neither has much of a confidante, so they choose to talk to each other, rather than the earth way of complaining to a friend etc.

The sight of him spawned an idea. Maybe she should go in there and climb in beside him and disengage her mind and her objections and her ideals and allow their love the expression they both wanted. Maybe then she would be able to accept that her portion was the faithful love of a wonderful man – a man who could offer her the exclusiveness of his heart and his body, but not the exclusiveness of his name.
laugh Much as I love this idea, it would not have been the best solution in the circumstances. Imagine how shocked Kal would have been though! That might have been fun. The tension that followed would have spoiled something so special.

Lois returned to the row and chose another book. Seconds later, she came to the page with the diagram. She contemplated the unfathomable words below the diagram. What did they say? What knowledge did they give? What had Kal discovered from reading this?
Yes we're still not entirely sure what Kal does know are we?! A diagram can only give so much explanation so the words are quite important.

Lois ran her fingers across the script. She needed to learn to read Kryptonian - not only to enable her to plumb the intricacies of Kryptonian Law, but also to establish a newspaper. And a library.

And begin to change this society one word at a time.
Bold ambitions Lois, but we'd expect nothing less! There are countless things she could introduce to Kryptonian society, the possibilities are endless.

After she had married Kal, she would ask him to teach her to read and write Kryptonian.

However, that was of no help now.
I like that she's already thinking that marrying Kal is a certainty again, that they will sort it out somehow.

His hair was mussed and his eyes underscored with shadows. His pants were made of a soft, black material and hung loosely from his hips to his ankles – where his bare feet emerged. His white undershirt clung tightly across his chest and upper arms, but sat slack enough across the waistband of his pants that the slightest movement would risk revealing a sliver of skin.

Lois was sure no one had ever looked so good.
shock Oh boy, not on their wedding day, surely not!

That's the worst (or best depending on how you look at it!) cliffhanger yet! Sooo excited for the next part.

Have I said this fic is amazing!

Em smile

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Crazy idea: If Kip-Or really had Kal-El stuffed away on a farm in Kansas, how did he reach Earth. Maybe a wormhole or something comparable. And is it possible, this link between NK and Earth had been left established even after Kal-El had been returned to NK? And then, the space ship just happened to cross the path of said wormhole...

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oooh, Michael, I like that idea.

Tons has already been said, so I'll just pop in to say:

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! There was no way that Kal been put in animated suspension as an infant and woken up as a funcioning teenager. Ha!

I bow to your plotting and hinting genius. notworthy

And also: Now *that's* what I call an evil cliffy!

This *is* my happily ever after.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm wondering why Za was so insistent her children be acknowledged as Kal's unless...

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard