Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
FDK goes here.

Many thanks!!

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was surprised and happy to see this here. I think Nor has to be dealt with but I hope he doesn't interfere in the wedding night.I have a feeling things won't be so happy for the next few chapters. But I can hope and dream. Thanks for posting so soon. It was a great lift to see it here today. I've been in a funk and this story seems one of the small joys to lift me out of it temporarily. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Merriwether
Merriwether
The only problem with reading new chapters as soon as they are posted is that I then have to wait that much longer until the next one. Oh, such a double edged sword. goofy

I continue to be incredibly impressed by the world you've created here and the hidden depth of the New Kryptonians. Za truly does have a mind of her own and clearly has both intelligence and insight into the workings of her world. I'm glad they were able to come to an agreement about their future; if all goes as planned, it could work out well for both of them. And it's especially good for Kal to know that he has a much bigger ally in Za than he'd ever imagined. Especially now that he has seen firsthand what a disservice it is to his planet that women are not given equal rights and opportunity. Za could contribute so much more to her people by using her mind than by simply using her body to provide an heir.

I have no idea where you are going with the information about Kryptonian and New Kryptonian law, but I'm with Lois that Nor is going to try something ... and the suspense is killing me while we wait to find out.

I hope Lois is able to find something to wear for her wedding other than her concubine dress. Just as there are women like Riz who make perfumed lotion, perhaps there is someone who is a talented seamstress? Maybe Lois can barter a new children's book for some fabric and thread. smile

And three cheers for Mo writing books on her own! I appreciated how uncertain she was of Lois's reaction and how encouraging Lois was able to be with her. That whole scene made me happy. Lois is not only changing the culture, little by little, but she's starting to make real friends in the process. thumbsup

Oh, and I'm still marveling along with Lois that Kal is able to pick up an entire language -- and not just any language, but one that is so completely different from his own -- in just a couple weeks. I love the minor mistakes you sprinkle into his dialogue when he's not using the translator, and that there are times he needs to switch back to it when he needs to express more complicated ideas -- it feels very realistic. Yet it is absolutely astonishing that he would be able to become fluent so quickly, and I'm looking forward to seeing if there's a more complex explanation for it than his simply having a natural talent for language.

More, pretty, pretty please. I find myself thinking about this story and its possibilities more often that I should probably admit, LOL.

Kathy

Top Banana
Top Banana
This was excellent but parts left me feeling sad.

In many ways I was left feeling that Za was as much a victim of their system as Kal. I expected something more of a reaction to Kal coming to see her. I thought there would be some sign of regret that they didn't meet properly when there might have been a chance for them. The cold detachment that showed as she spoke with Kal suggests that her life has been nearly as empty as his.

Lois going through the steps preparing for her wedding also had some sad moments. Yes, she loves Kal, but there is so much that she's lost. I was left wondering if even being with Kal will be enough.

It wasn't too sad, but it was all very touching.

Bob

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I loved this chapter and I loved Kathy's and Bob's comments, which expressed much of what I felt myself.

I'm not in two minds about the fact that Lois is going to marry an already married man, because I know that it is necessary, but I loved how this chapter emphasized how necessary it is. I was impressed with your portrait of Za. This is an intelligent woman and not necessarily an altogether unhappy one. Why is she not certifiably unhappy? It's because she has grown up knowing that the life she got was the only one she could have, and in fact it has turned out better than it might have, given that Kal has treated her better than many other Supreme Rulers would have done. I'm sticking to my belief that Kryptonians are humans - and they'd better be, if Lois and Kal are going to be able to have children together! - and humans have this amazing ability to adapt to given situations. Have you read any books by Jane Austen? Just imagine how unbelievably boring the lives of her heroines must have been, and yet they were able to put up with their situation, because little else was possible for them. Similarly, I think Za has been able to accept the boredom and horrible limitations of her own existence. And what about Kal? He wasn't dying of boredom or despondence before he met Lois, because he knew of nothing else.

Anyway, I loved how Za was so cool, so to-the-point, until Kal asked her if she wanted an annulment of their marriage. Her horrified reaction was enough to tell me that an annulment isn't possible. Unless... unless Kal can come up with a way to make it possible for him and Za to divorce and to keep Za safe and free of shame at the same time. We already know that Za loves another man, and this man loves her back. (Yes, we know it is Ching.) Za isn't allowed to leave Kal and marry Ching because the NK society is an absolutely super-sexist one, where women can be treated worse than slaves, and Kal needs to find a way to reform his society. Clearly the Kryptonian law is the key to this. I loved how Kal kept the original Kryptonian law hidden in a secret compartment behind a bookcase. It almost felt as if Kal was going to show Lois the secret space in the back of his closet where he keeps his Superman suits! smile Maybe Kal can turn into a legal wizard, wielding the original Kryptonian law to make his society better? My impression is that the original Kryptonian society wasn't as oppressive as this, and someone (Nor? Ked?) has found a way to distort it.

Looking forward to more of this engrossing fic!

Ann

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wait! Za is the one who is the legal wizard! Kal needs to bring the original Kryptonian law to her, or at least make it accessible to her! Then she can find the passages that can prove that the most oppressive NK laws are illegal.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“I suspect you are here to inform me that your preference is that she be the woman who bears your heir,” Za said. “And as such, I will no longer receive your sample.”
Wow, I never expected Za Ra to have that much of a mind of her own hyper Okay, I guess the part trumps it. A bit. You know, like for Lois, the difference between finding a stash of chocolate, Superman’s hideout, and a Kerth-winning story.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Is it possible that Za Ra is sneaky enough to realize that if Nor and family get somehow removed from the political arena, Kal could anul his marriage to her and Ching could take her as a concubine or wife?
Oh! Good catch, Michael! I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right that it's a fabulous possibility. And I'd be willing to bet that, now that Za knows that Kal would annul the marriage if she asked, she's probably thinking about it, too, LOL.

Kathy

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
So many great parts to comment on!

For the first time ever, Kal searched the face of his wife. It was inscrutable – like a mask deliberately set to barrenness. Was she angry? Was she relieved? Was she feeling cast aside? Or was this the release she wanted? The clues he needed were not there.
This shows how far Kal has come! I remember when Lois first arrived, Kal had no facial emotions whatsoever. Now that is so unusual to him.

Like others have said, this part cements the fact that under the circumstances, Kal can not annul his marriage to Za because she would be in a position of great vulnerability.

She was marrying the man of her dreams. But the wedding of her dreams would never be hers.
mecry This was SO heartbreaking! But it was also very realistic. Yes she loves Kal with all of her heart, but the wedding will be bittersweet without all of her family and friends.

I loved the part with Mo. Slowly, Lois is getting the books out to the children. I love how Mo was insecure about how Lois would react to her writing a story. To me, it really shows how accepting they are of Lois. She is an alien on their planet, yet they can see the good she is doing.

One question about the Translators. I don't understand why Tek's children would need them. Tek and Riz are from different sides, so they would speak the two different languages. Therefore, their children would grow up knowing both North and South Kryptonian. Is that correct? I know on Earth, if the mother only spoke English to a child and the father only spoke Spanish, the child would grow up bilingual.

“I want you feel safe now.”
“That is my believe.”
"... people Nor believes are fight men of the South."
I love these little errors when Kal is not using the Translator. He is picking up English so quickly, but the errors make so much more believable. smile The fact that Kal has learned to *think* in English makes me wonder if Clark could pick up languanges not because of the powers but because that's just part of him!

Kal turned the knob and Lois heard irregular clunking sounds from within it.
I agree that this must be the start of superhearing! wink

Kal grinned suddenly. “I should remember never to get into a physical fight with you.”

Lois laughed.

“That was a joke,” Kal told her. “I would never fight with you.”

“I could tell it was a joke,” she said, smiling.

“Was it funny?”

“Yes, it was.”

“Good.”
Kal asking if his joke was funny was SO adorable! It's amazing how far he has come in such a short time. laugh

Like I said, so many great parts to comment on. This is such a wonderful story! I am really enjoying it!

Perry: (To Lois) Honey, this could be greatest story since Superman came to town. By-the-by, where is that husband of yours?
--Faster Than a Speeding Vixon
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Corrina! wave

A lot of wonderful details have already been mentioned, so I won't repeat them here. I just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you for letting Lois grieve for what she's lost. She might feel that what she's gained is worth the price, and she doesn't really have any choice in the matter any way, but that doesn't mean that she hasn't, in fact, paid a very high price. She needs to mourn her losses as well as celebrate what she's gained.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I loved the way you portrayed Za, will she attend to the wedding?
Will the wedding go as planned or will 'the wedding destroyer'(or something similar appear)?

Great story! Can't wait for the next part

Kathryn
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Since I'm a little late in posting fdk, I won't quote all of those great lines in this part. Suffice it to say that I really like Za. She's smart, honest and politically savvy. I'm glad that Za doesn't feel resentful of Kal, but instead they've become allies. She knows something has gone wrong over the past 10 years and instead of getting angry about it, she obviously did her homework.

I also enjoyed the conversation with Dom and the new book. With a newly created author on New Krypton, Lois can turn her full attention to the investigation of Nor. We're running out of time!

As always, Lois and Kal's interaction was wonderful. I'm unsurprised that Kal is picking up English so quickly. I suspect that he already knows both dialects from the North and South (and if not, he should learn it post haste!).

Interesting discussion of the law. I won't even try to speculate about the reasoning behind it, but I do feel it will become important. I wish Lois would learn Kryptonian and then superspeed through the law. I have a feeling that the loophole is there and was just overlooked. Kal (and maybe Za) are too close to the culture to pick up on it, but an outsider could see it more clearly, perhaps?

Good post. Please give us more soon!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi, I have had such a crazy weekend I just haven't had chance to leave any FDK, sorry.

I did get chance to read the part before I went to bed on Friday though and it was definitely FDK-worthy, as always!! hyper

Em smile

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Laura Hi Laura ... really hope your mood has picked up a bit. Thanks for your FDK.

Kathy
I hope Lois is able to find something to wear for her wedding other than her concubine dress. Just as there are women like Riz who make perfumed lotion, perhaps there is someone who is a talented seamstress? Maybe Lois can barter a new children's book for some fabric and thread.
Good idea! Can I use it, please?

There is one comment you made that I see myself quoting in a FDK thread about three parts into the future. laugh

Thanks, Kathy.

Bob Thanks, Bob.

Certainly parts of this were a little sad. But the facts are that Lois has lost a lot - that's sad.

And the history of Za and Kal is also sad.

But if we get a happy ending ... laugh

Ann Thanks for your FDK, Ann.

No, I haven't read Jane Austen, but I know enough to understand the point you are making.

I loved your link between the hidden law and Superman's hidden suits.

Michael

This is the second time they switched off the translators and Kal already knows this much of her language? I’m starting to suspect that the translators also imprint the languages they translate.
Actually, it's the third time, but Kal's progress is astounding.

Thanks for your comments Michael - there's a lot I'd like to say in response, but to do so would risk giving away parts of the story.

lcfan

This shows how far Kal has come! I remember when Lois first arrived, Kal had no facial emotions whatsoever. Now that is so unusual to him.
Thanks for picking up that. I had fun turning the tables on Kal!

Re the translators. Tek's children are bi-lingual, but they are wearing the annex as a trial to see if there are any negative side-effects - before the annex is cleared to be used by other children.

See Part 21 for the explanation. smile

Thanks for reading and commenting.

HappyGirl I was a little concerned that at times Lois coped *too* well with being 'shipwrecked' on a strange planet. Falling in love tends to sweep everything else from your mind, but eventually you have to take the time to grieve what's been lost.

Thanks!

Kathryn No, Za will not attend the wedding.

A wedding going as planned? Isn't that a little mundane?? :p

Thanks, Kathryn.

Brenda Thanks. I'm glad to know you're still reading.

I've re-read your comments twice and tried to find something I can respond to, but I'd either have to be deliberately misleading or too forthcoming!

Emma Thanks, Emma.

Sooo excited it must be the wedding soon!
My estimate is Part 30 for the wedding. However, I did once tell Iolanthe I thought this fic would run to 18 parts! blush blush

Thanks everyone - for reading and sharing your thoughts.

I'm working on 28 which I know will be the toughest one for me to write. As soon as I get it to Iolanthe, I'll post 25.

Corrina.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Good idea! Can I use it, please?
I'll make you a deal. You show me everything you've written so far, and you can use it. No? Darn. OK, you can use it anyway. goofy

Actually, I'm so delighted that we're getting several more parts after this, I'd give you anything. Just keep writing this story! laugh

Kathy

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've re-read your comments twice and tried to find something I can respond to, but I'd either have to be deliberately misleading or too forthcoming!
Hey! Teasing isn't nice and this response was definitely a tease. Haven't you heard the saying, "If you can't say something forthcoming, don't say nothing at all."

Actually, it would be better to just post the next part.

Now would be good.

wildguy

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
there's a lot I'd like to say in response, but to do so would risk giving away parts of the story.
evil rotflol

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

Sorry I'm not leaving feedback regularly, but I am enjoying this story very much.

I have a particular fondness for stories about Krypton or New Krypton where Lois is the alien -- a very nice alien.

My sympathies have been very much for Kal, but now I feel just as sorry for Za. Both are victims of the unfeeling culture of the Kryptonians, and yet, there are many good people on New Krypton too.

I'm hoping that Lois, Kal and their friends can stop Nor from whatever evil he has planned.

I think it was inspired to have Lois develop super powers. I think she might need them.

Looking forward to the next part.
Yours Jenni

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
My estimate is Part 30 for the wedding. However, I did once tell Iolanthe I thought this fic would run to 18 parts!
Hey, don't worry, I'm not complaining if it means this fic is going to run and run! I was forgetting that each day spans quite a few parts and that's no bad thing - I love the detail! There's so much to detail with the unique gentle romance, the language barrier, the culture etc.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention, this isn't the first glimpse of super-hearing is it. As you've mentioned before, the first was way back when she heard Kal from the concubine quarters, though she hasn't realised about it yet.

Posted by KathyB:

More, pretty, pretty please. I find myself thinking about this story and its possibilities more often that I should probably admit, LOL.
Once again, me too Kathy! I've found myself linking songs to it on the drive home from work. blush

Oh yes, and his first laugh was adorable, I loved the way you described it! I bet it's not easy to decribe things that are such second-nature they never need be described.

Em smile

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
28 is written, polished and sent to Iolanthe dance

You'll understand the dance when you read it - I wasn't looking forward to writing it and I'm very glad it's done.

Kathy

You show me everything you've written so far
Bad idea, Kathy. I write assuming anyone unfortunate enough to read it has direct vision into my brain so doesn't need the benefit of punctuation, paragraphs or any explanation at all.

Only after a *lot* of editing is it fit to be seen by anyone else.

But thanks for saying I could use your idea. smile

Brenda I had to respond to such kind FDK with something!!

Michael See Part 26 ... oh, that's right ... laugh

Jenni Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to know you're reading the fic.

Nor has a plan ... Lois has superpowers ... the two *have* to come together at some point!!

Emma I'm tempted to offer another estimation of the number of parts to this fic, but my other guesses have fallen so blush short, I'm saying nothing!!

Thanks for all your FDK, Emma.

As noted above, I've sent 28 to Iolanthe. I have to go to work now, but 25 should be posted today ... maybe 5 hours from now.

Thanks,

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard