Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
HappyGirl said:
I know you know that Kal is chaneling Moses in his Extraordinary Report. And it is the perfect situation in which to do so. Another resonance. If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, read Dueteronomy chapter 30.
Is this what you meant, HappyGirl?
See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil...I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live (Deuteronomy 30:15, 19)
Interesting point about Kal being a leader, and if he had grown up as a leader in the same way on the Earth, he would have had no trouble with Dan Scardino! Ah, but there is the whole "secret identity thing". There have been little hints that maybe this Kal has a secret identity, too. Maybe he doesn't even know that he has one? Maybe it has to do with "the mother"?

Good to hear that your son is well again, Happy.

Ann

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
wow.
just, wow.

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
A few comments:

1. I refuse to accept that this story is going to end eventually.

2. I didn't like Ard before, but now I think she's on the up-and-up. I am partial to the theory that she is actually Tek's wife.

3. I said it before, and I'll say it again - Nor has met his match, and he doesn't even know it yet! I wonder how Kal will feel when he learns that one of his closest colleagues has caused so much trouble for their planet.

4. Have I mentioned that I love this story?

smile Amber

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Corrina. wave

I just read everything up to this part and I am totally blown away. This is all just SO good! clap

I've got the entire story swirling around in my head right now and can't think of proper FDK, but I'll do better next time.

I will say that I love the way you've written the Kal / Lois relationship. It's so... love

Bob

Top Banana
Top Banana
As for Tek: I think that is his daughter, all grown up but a little girl inside doing her drawings and listening to Lois's stories.
My impression was that Tek would be too young to have a grown daughter. Plus, didn't he tell Lois his kids were aged 3 and 6? But whoever she is, I thought the same thing about Tek reading the stories to her.

By the end of the chapter, I was thinking, "Soon Lois will have Mo and her sister working on the newspaper, and Ard illustrating the children's books." Gotta give these women some source of income, to prepare them for the day when they are no longer concubines.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Happy Girl Firstly - good news that your son is OK. smile

Clark always knew *he* was the alien - he worried about not fitting in. Kal is not only not an alien, he has been a powerful leader for a decade.

I'm remembering something you said a while back about part 14. Looking forward to it.
Eek, I guess you mean Kal's secret. It's in Part 18 - sorry about the delay. Whenever I make estimates, I always think the road is shorter than it turns out to be.

Thanks.

Laura Oh, Laura, parts of your comments are just soooooo ... interesting.

Ann Re the Bible passage - I didn't actually set out to copy Moses ... but hey, he was a great leader, so I could do worse than borrow some of his thoughts.

I wish there was a way to write Scardino into this fic - having Kal deal with him could be a lot of fun!

Sarah Thanks. smile

Amber It *will* end - although I'm not there yet.

Thanks for all your FDK.

Bob Good to hear from you, Bob.

You read it all in one go? Wow. Thanks for reading and leaving FDK.

Vicki Yes, Tek's children are 6 and 3.

Gotta give these women some source of income, to prepare them for the day when they are no longer concubines.
Meaning Lois is going to clear the Regal Residence of concubines?

Good idea!

Corrina.

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Corrina - I'm still loving (read devouring) each chapter and I can't wait for more. I also loved the discussion about love and marriage between Lois and Kal. It was love

Kal has shown incredible strength and courage in expressing his doubts, concerns and confusion where Lois is concerned. I'm wondering what is holding Lois back from expressing hers to him? She should go ahead and discuss with him her fears regarding Za, her suspicions about Tek and Ard, etc.

BTW, my suspicions about Tek and Ard are a bit different than the other readers. We've seen that Tek brings Lois the facial cream after she gives him the story for his children and Tek explains that his wife exchanges it for food. My guess is that Tek's reasoning for visiting Ard has more to do with a simple economic exchange of goods (paintings for facial cream or other bartering on behalf of people without access to the concubines). Honestly, in a community as small as the New Kryptonians (especially those on the brink of extinction) what good is coin? Easier to just trade with others for the things you need. I'm probably way off, but it was my initial thought.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Meaning Lois is going to clear the Regal Residence of concubines?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. smile

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Merriwether
Merriwether
Amber wrote:
I am partial to the theory that she is actually Tek's wife.
This one never occurred to me, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's at least possible. Didn't Mo (or Jib? Who did Lois talk to?) tell Lois that the Supreme Leader can take any woman as a concubine, even if she's already married? So what if ... Nor was so captivated by Ard's beauty that he made plans to kill Tek and take Ard for himself. So a young Kal, in order to help his faithful servant Tek, took Ard for his own concubine, knowing that she'd be safe in his household and thus could always be with Tek.

Of course, that doesn't explain why Lois hasn't seen or heard the children. Could children really be that quiet, even Kryptonian children? But it would explain the child-like drawings on Ard's walls, and why she gives Lois one of them so easily ... and why Tek visits her at night ...

Oh, and Corrina, no need to confirm or deny. I'm just so obsessed with your story that I apparently need to write fanfic about it while waiting for the next episode ... er, chapter. *bg*

Kathy (also sticking her fingers in her ears and singing La-La-La when she thinks about this story ever ending)

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
HappyGirl, regarding your Kilkenny cats limerick. I tried to find a suitable picture to illustrate it, and this is what I came up with. Even if one of the cats survive, being all on your own can be pretty lonely.

[Linked Image]

If you have a choice, I guess you don't want to be The Last Son of New Krypton, either.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
However, feel free to expand any time you want to ... if you write a scientific story about NK, I'll read it. [Big Grin]
Now Muse is all scared goofy Seriously, though, I don't have a NK-on-NK story in the wings, just the sequel to Wedding Crashers huh Or were you thinking about 'The Unabridged Guide to Corrina's New Krypton'?

Michael, gently reminded the dear author that it's rapidly getting closer to 48 hours since the last post wildguy

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Are you going to be really, really disappointed if Nor's carefully thought-out plan just ... huh smile

Emma

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks for all the FDK, guys. It seems you were conversing while I was asleep wink .

No work today smile1 so the plan had been to work on 18 and get it to Iolanthe, then do a final polish of 14 and post.

However, overnight I had an EEEEEKKKK moment - you know - when you suddenly realise that one of the foundation stones of your story is weak and about to crumble. So before I get to 18, I have to do a major fix of 15.

So, I doubt 14 will be posted until tomorrow ... or maybe the day after ... or maybe even next week.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

OK, I lied. I'll go and work on 14 now!!! Be back in 2-3 hours depending on how kind RL is.

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'll go and work on 14 now!!! Be back in 2-3 hours depending on how kind RL is
I'm refreshing, I'm refreshing, I'm refreshing..
wallbash

Top Banana
Top Banana
Last minute thought about Ard's beauty: Nor found Lois hideously ugly. Of course Kal doesn't. But maybe NKers have different ideas of beauty than we do. Ard may not be considered such a great beauty on NK. It may be that Lois being jealous of Ard is as founded as Kal being jealous of Jimmy.

In fact, I think Ard and Lois are going to become friends. Ard has more gumption than any NK woman we've met yet (except, indirectly, Tek's wife, whom I'm picturing as the Martha Kent of this story).

This *is* my happily ever after.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I like the newspaper idea, but I dont know if NK's limited resources can support the idea. Paper making needs water, something they are running out of.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
BJ wrote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll go and work on 14 now!!! Be back in 2-3 hours depending on how kind RL is
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm refreshing, I'm refreshing, I'm refreshing..
I'm glad I'm not the only one hitting the Refresh button!

~Mel~
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Amber and Kathy said that Ard might be Tek's wife. Yes, what a fascinating idea! You know, that might explain all of Ard's pictures. Ard has copied Lois's pictures, or rather, she has been inspired by them! Hey, Lois has founded an art school of her own on New Krypton! Not the school of the Impressionists, the School of Lois!

[Linked Image]

I think this is the painting that sparked an entire new genre on the Earth, the Impressionism. But on New Krypton, no one has even seen any pictures or paintings before, not until Lois made her own illustrated children's books. When Ard saw Lois's book, she was so inspired and delighted that she made her own pictures, and lots of them. And all of Ard's pictures are colorful and somewhat childish, because she was inspired by Lois's colorful pictures which were made for children. And Ard has seen Lois's books because she is the mother of Tek's children, and Lois gave her book to Tek and told him to read it to his children. And that is why Ard was present when Tek read it.

But how does it affect Tek and Ard's marriage that she is Kal's concubine Number One? Lois thought that Ard was perhaps having an illicit affair, so she knocked on Ard's door right after Tek had left. She could see that Ard's bed was untouched. Does that mean that she and Tek have no sex life, even though they are married? Well, that would make sense, since Kal's claims on her would take priority. Remember that Kal can dissolve any marriage on New Krypton. We saw that during the Disputes, when Kal was about to order a married man to return to his older brother's house and his wife to return to her parents. We also know that the Supreme Ruler on New Krypton can claim any woman on his world as his concubine, whether she is already married or not.

So did Kal dissolve Tek's marriage? Are he and Ard still married? Tek has talked about his wife. But if Ard is Tek's wife and she is also Kal's concubine Number One, what sort of relationship is she allowed to have with Tek? Is she allowed to make love with him? Clearly she is allowed to meet him. Remember, too, that Jib and Mo see their mother all the time. So Tek is allowed to visit Ard in her concubine's quarters. But is he allowed to make love to her?

Tek has children, young children. The youngest of his children is three years old. So Tek was making love to his wife three years and nine months ago, if the Kryptonians are human enough that their gestation period is nine months. What happened after that? Was Kal forced to intervene and claim Ard as his concubine in order to protect her? We have seen enough of Kal to know that he almost certainly claimed Ard to protect her, not because he wanted her as his own becasue of her beauty. But what has Tek and Ard's family life been like since Ard became Kal's concubine?

Questions, questions! And we don't even know if Tek and Ard are married. But I very much like the idea that they are.

Ann

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm refreshing, I'm refreshing, I'm refreshing...
whinging
Darn. I guess I'll have to catch the next chapter in the morning. Can't wait.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Lois thought that Ard was perhaps having an illicit affair, so she knocked on Ard's door right after Tek had left. She could see that Ard's bed was untouched. Does that mean that she and Tek have no sex life, even though they are married? Well, that would make sense, since Kal's claims on her would take priority. Remember that Kal can dissolve any marriage on New Krypton.
I see that the new part has been posted, but I wanted to reply to this one while I was here.

Ann, you're assuming, of course, that if Tek and Ard are married, they would have sex every time they were together. To the contrary, if they live in the same household and are able to visit each other whenever they wish, it's reasonable to say that there would be many times that they would just visit to talk and catch up on their lives. Just because Lois didn't see an unmade bed doesn't mean they aren't married or that they are married but forbidden from having sex. Those things *could* be true, but you can't assume them just from what Lois saw.

Kathy (who has to wait for tomorrow to read part 14 ... twitching? What twitching? mecry )

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard