Kerth
peep Another cliffhanger!

Thanks.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ah dear Kal. You're already married...

Still reading and enjoying even if I haven't been commenting smile .

More soon please smile .

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Whoa, didn't see that coming!

Ok, two options off the top of my head are: Kal can have more than one wife, or maybe Zara's not really his "wife" like we think of marriage...A definite RAFO!

Great part,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh no you don't!! You come back here right now and give us the next chapter!! (Foot taps impatiently) Well, we're waiting!

~Mel~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
How about "pretty please with sugar on top?" Anything so that we can have another chapter? smile1 clap

Pat

Blogger
Blogger
I guess the Kryptonians are like the DeNoblians from Star Trek Enterprise: each spouse is allowed to have three spouses. Must make for confusing genealogical charts. goofy

snarla2

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Tek seems more an apothercary than a midnight lover and lovely Ard his patient/relative in Kal's protection. Or not.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Merriwether
Merriwether
“I want to marry you, Lois,” he said.
I could tell where the conversation was going, and it still melted me. So, so wonderful. thumbsup

Top Banana
Top Banana
Tek seems more an apothercary than a midnight lover and lovely Ard his patient/relative in Kal's protection. Or not.
Relative was what I was thinking. Maybe his sister? It just seems so out-of-character for him to be having an affair. I'm thinking she's his sister. It also occurred to me that possibly Tek's limp is somehow related to Ard being Kal's concubine. No idea what the connection could possibly be, though. goofy

Beautiful chapter. I loved their conversation. It's so clear they are both hopelessly in love with each other. BUT... He's married! Arg! You MUST do something about that!

Edited to add: Kathy, we were both posting at the same time. I see we had the same idea - sister. You know what they say about great minds. lol. Maybe we are on to something.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
“Lois ...” he said and faltered.

She smiled. “Yes, Kal.”

He took her hand and placed it on his chest. “There is so much in here ... and it's all about you.”
What a lovely, lovely way for a man who doesn't know the word "love" to say "I love you". Your exploration of what tired old words really mean is wonderful, Corinna.

As for Tek, I got the impression that you wanted me to like him. And because I can't imagine that you would condone infidelity, but you approve of Tek, that must mean that Tek absolutely isn't doing anything untoward when he is visiting Ard. Vicki has suggested that Ard may be Tek's relative, and that is certainly a possibility. I wonder, could they be Kal's "guardian angels", doing their best to protect him against Nor? (Ard seems really nice too. I mean, I can't imagine that someone who makes such lovely innocent and colorful pictures could be evil, but maybe that is because my imagination isn't vivid enough...) wink

Oh, and... Kal proposes to Lois. Even though he is married already. Well, wow.

One thing seems clear: Kal is innocent enough that he doesn't understand that his marriage to Za could be an impediment to his proposed marriage to Lois, or at least, he doesn't understand that Lois might consider it so.

It's interesting. Lois couldn't very well tell Kal that men don't have more than one wife at a time on the Earth, because some men really do. Many Muslims do, and a group of renegade Mormons do. And nowhere in the Bible does it say that a man is not allowed to have more than one wife. Believe me, I have checked.

But even among men who have more than one wife, it is likely that one wife is special. Maybe Kal thinks that his marriage to Za doesn't matter, because his heart is not full of her at all? And he has no wish to share his bed with her, whether or not he understands the sexual implications of a man sharing his bed with a woman. (And since he doesn't, in fact, understand the sexual implications, chances are that he would be even less interested in Za if he did.)

So Kal thinks that his own marriage doesn't matter, so he proposes to Lois. That is adorably sweet, but it is ever so slightly offensive too, or it ought to seem that way to Lois. Lois must think that Kal asks her to be his second wife, and to share him, if he so decides, with Za. There may, for all I know, be FoLCs here who would be happy to be somebody's second wife, and to share their husband with his wife Number One, but I really think that most FoLCs would decline such an offer. And if Lois is to stay in character, I think she must decline, too.

Looking forward to finding out how Lois is going to explain to Kal that she just can't be his second wife while he is still married to his first one. If they are to be married, then he must be hers, and hers alone. But how can she explain that to Kal?

Ann

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Another great part, and so sweet. I love how you describe the development of their relationship. I wonder what Tek and I believe her name was Arl have to do with each other? Maybe he's her brother? Because I don't really think he would cheat on his wife.

Come back with more soon! Please!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awwwwwww! He is so sweet and the poor fool doesn't know he can't marry her because he is already married. But in his heart he isn't. Loved this chapter. More soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Eek, this post needs deleting, don't know what happened!

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww clap

As for plot points:
I never expected it to be Tek. I still don't think he is having an affair with Ard. What would be her motivation? For a while I figured she might be his wife, but that didn't fit. His daughter, maybe? On the other hand, as was mentioned before in the thread, they could be part of the Anti-Kal-conspiracy.

Kal proposing was another surprise. Unless the meaning of marriage didn't translate, Kal has to be aware that he is already married, so what's going on there? Is the Supreme Ruler allowed to have multiple wives? Speaking of which, NK is a patriarchal, feudal society, and Kal is nobility. There is absolutely nothing unexpected about his marrying for reason of state and their situation reminds me of Dune. The woman wearing his name is not necessarily the one he considers his wife. Political expediency must come first huh

The mentioning of farms reminded me of the missing rain thing. Did the NKers bring the animals and plants with them? How did the indigenous plants survive before the the NKers started with irrigation? How did they pollination with without insects. I'm really looking forward to the ecological explanations of this strange world laugh

Last but not least, I did notice how Lois automatically assumed she would end up as editor in chief. Of course, this also means she will have to learn how to read and write Kryptonian.

Michael, agreeing with Vicki on part 14 spider

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part! More soonest!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
mecry

He would find out exactly what ‘I love you, Kal,’ meant.

And then ... then he would work out what he could do so Lois wanted to stay in his bedroom again.
This was another LOL moment, but mainly because it was so innocnet and sweet and lovely.

The next morning, Kal ordered sweet oatmeal.

He dabbed a little of Tek’s cologne on his face.

Then he waited for Lois to come.
He means business! Again, I couldn't stop smiling reading this.

And if he *did* kiss her, how possible was it going to be to accept his kiss and then move away without giving in to any of the whole range of ideas that had taken up permanent residence in her imagination?
Poor Lois, she's suffering too, though it was Kal I felt for the most in this section, as he really was so confused.

It would be sweet. She knew from the expression on Kal’s face. She tasted it; she was right.
love

“I have never heard you laugh.”
Hmm, when will he?!

He placed the still-half-full glass on the floor and straightened in his chair. “When you were in my bed, you said you ...” Kal’s gestured to the centre of his chest “...me.”

“I said I love you.”

“Love,” he said haltingly. “Love. Did I say it correctly?”
Aww, my heart was pounding along with them both. You wrote this scene so well.

“It is not that love I want to know about – it is the love between a man and a woman.”

Lois had figured as much.
wink laugh

“Me,” he cut in. “You said you love me.”
Don't forget me!!

“Tell me about *that* love.”

“It’s the love between a man and a woman,” Lois said. “A love they share with each other, but not with anyone else.”

“This special love ... it is felt for only one person?”
Kal has his answer about what love is by now, he's just hoping against hope that she feels that kind of love for him, the special man and woman kind!

“They meet, they fall in love, they –“

“Fall?”
Again, I love how you think of such simple details. Of course, the word fall used in that context would seem strange to Kal.

“In some ways, falling in love is like jumping off a cliff,” Lois said. “You are no longer completely in control. The feeling is amazing and wonderful and the world is brighter and you feel like skipping instead of walking and laughing instead of smiling. He is all you can think about – you dream about him at night and think about him during the day. You want to be with him every moment and when you aren’t with him, it feels like you are hollow inside, because something vital is missing.”
What a wonderful description, and of course, Kal can identify completely.

“Do they sleep in the same bed?”

“Yes.”

“Then what happens?”
Oh Lois, you skirted round that one!!

“Sometimes they have children ... they become a family ... a mother, a father and some children.”

“Like Tek?”

Hopefully not like Tek, Lois thought.
lol

“Not *everything*.” Lois smiled, but Kal’s solemnity didn’t waver. “But they share all the important things.”

“Like secrets?”
Hmm, yes Kal, like secrets!

“You,” he said decisively.

Lois smothered her smile. “Imagine when you get here, I am here, but I am in your bed with someone else, another man, I am asleep with him, hugging him. How would you –?”

She stopped as the hurt carved across Kal’s face. “I would *hate* that,” he said with such fervour, his voice splintered.
Poor Kal, but Lois has her answer. And, of course, a whole host more questions, because she still doesn't know how they can move on from here.

Kal shook his head. “Trying to sleep on the chair hurt on the outside. But when you left ... that hurt on the inside.”
That's love Kal.

Much as I loved having another part to look forward to earlier, as I was reading I hated thinking then I'd be back to waiting for the next part again. I love this story so much!

Emma

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Carol Thanks.
Ah dear Kal. You're already married...
You'd think Lois's response wouldn't be too far from this!!

Shadow Thanks. I'm glad there are a few surprises along the way.

Mel About three days ago, my muse got petulant and the way to the end seemed very hazy. However, we're up and running again, so I'll post each part as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Pat Hey! Another reader! smile1 Thanks for leaving FDK!

snarla *Three* spouses! Imagine trying to write that! Living it would be worse though. Thanks for leaving FDK. I love knowing you're reading my fic.

SJH Good thought! Or not wink

Thanks.

Kathy I've just re-read your FDK twice looking for something I can respond to, but anything I say is going to sound like I agree or disagree with your thoughts.

All I can say is there *will* be more. Part 17 is with Iolanthe and Part 18 is written. About half of the later parts are written.

Thanks for all your comments.

Vicki

It just seems so out-of-character for him to be having an affair.
hyper I'm making no comment about Tek, but I'm delighted that you as a reader feel you know Tek well enough to comment on his character.

Yeah. Doesn't the fact that you wrote two chapters yesterday mean you were supposed to *post* two chapters yesterday?
'Written' doesn NOT equal 'ready for public consumption'! wink

Thanks, Vicki.

Ann Your thoughts about what Lois is going to do are really, really interesting. So much so, I'm glad I left the chapter there and gave everyone a chance to comment on what Lois should do.

Obviously, I've thought a lot about this. Would I accept being a man's 2nd wife? Even if his first wife meant nothing to him? Would Lois? On Earth, I would say 'no'." But this isn't Earth.

And if she does agree to marry him, is that adultery? And even if it is, does it matter in a society where Kal is openly allowed as many concubines as he can feed?

And what happens if Kal and Za *do* eventually have a child? Kal would naturally be drawn to that 'family' and, by extension, away from Lois.

Thanks Ann. I love your FDK - it always makes me think more about where the fic is heading.

bakasi Another vote for Tek's character!

Thanks for your comments.

Laura When is a marriage a marriage? Thanks for your FDK, Laura.

Emma Did your FDK get lost somewhere in the bowels of the internet?

Or were you just showing that you *can* leave pithy FDK? :p

Michael

I'm really looking forward to the ecological explanations of this strange world
Sorry, Michael. This falls into the 'will not be included because it will cause a loss of momentum to the Lois/Kal story' category.

There is *so* much I could have included about NK. Some I dismissed without much thought, some I worked out, but haven't included in the fic.

Anything that doesn't directly support the main story (Lois and Kal) didn't make the cut. Which means there are going to be a lot of questions without answers about NK, but hopefully no questions without answers about LnK.

However, feel free to expand any time you want to ... if you write a scientific story about NK, I'll read it. laugh

Thanks Michael.

Artemis Thanks. Not sure when you'll get Part 14, but hopefully the wait won't be too long.

Thanks everyone

Corrina.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Emma I must have been replying to FDK when you posted your amazing comments, so you get your own reply.

(And so you should ... WOW!)

I'm really pleased you're still finding humour in it. After Lois ate the cutlery, I thought 'OK, I need something else funny,' but couldn't think of another scene like that. And there is nothing less funny than forced humour.

Glad you liked the massage. Lois has a whole bagful of things she can teach Kal - and not all of them come from the gutter!!

Good point about Kal not knowing what he was missing. His life can never be the same again.

This demonstrates one of the many ways in which Kal has changed.
You *got* it! smile1

Hmm, yes Kal, like secrets!
Kal will tell Lois his secret in Part 18. (I've just written it). I know that's not Part 14 as I had mentioned somewhere else, but I always think I'm further along in a story than I am. Sorry.

Thanks, Emma. Wonderful FDK!

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I spent Saturday night in the hospital with a sick son (okay now, just the flu), so I'm *way* out of the feedback loop, but had to put my two cents in:

1. I know you know that Kal is chaneling Moses in his Extraordinary Report. And it is the perfect situation in which to do so. Another resonance. If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, read Dueteronomy chapter 30.

2. Apropos of Ann's suicidal (or sui-genocidal?) theory: I think Lois's next children's book needs to be Two Cats of Kilkenny. That's the poem that goes:

There once were two cats of Kilkenny
Each thought there was one cat too many
So they fought and they fit
And they scratched and they bit
Till excepting their nails and the tips of their tails
Instead of two cats, there weren't any. wallbash

3. Kal has so many similarities to Clark, but also this key difference: Kal is a leader. He has been his whole life. That gives him a level of confidence that Clark grew into only after being Superman for quite a while. So, even though he has some misunderstandings with Lois when she won't sleep with him again, he doesn't let that sway his determination to find out why and what he can do to change it. He's not arrogant, but he is determined. Kal knows that he isn't perfect, that he might fail his people, but he doesn't have the defeatist streak that Clark sometimes displayed. If Dan Scardino were here, Kal would have no trouble telling him where to go. cool

I'm remembering something you said a while back about part 14. Looking forward to it. laugh

So, Kal has a secret, and there is a woman somewhere under a yellow sun searching for her lost child....does Kal have, in his own way, a secret identity?

And I haven't forgotten that glimpse of Perry. I somehow think that Kal and Lois are going to end up at least re-establishing contact with Earth.

Corrina, this is a truly extraordinary story.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well Kal's marriage isn't a real one the way we on Earth, or at least in America know one. He isn't sleeping with his wife. It is a fixed political obligation and nothing more. I am looking forward to how they are going to get out of it without destroying New Krypton. As for Tek: I think that is his daughter, all grown up but a little girl inside doing her drawings and listening to Lois's stories. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard