OP Offline
Kerth
FDK here.

Thanks smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow!

-Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is very interesting indeed! I can't help but think that this situation with Low-iss is going to blow up in Kal-El's face when Nor gets wind of it. It would put a leak in his water-tight plans. Pretty soon Kal is going to laugh out loud where other Kryptonians can hear him, and he's going to shake that society at its foundations. That's okay, though; it appears to need a really good shaking.

More soon, please? I promise not to bite you.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Merriwether
Merriwether
"People, called authors, write stories,” Lois explained. “Sometimes very long and involved stories. Their stories are made into books and other people buy the book for the pleasure of reading the story.”
And sometimes they publish their stories online as something called "fanfic" and they let other people read it for free! Which makes those people very, very, very happy! smile1

I'm quite willing to beg for more of this story. I'd even share my worms on a plate with you. Trufax. love

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow is right! This so far is my very favorite chapter for too many reasons then I can type here. I loved all of it. The joke he made was pricelss and made me laugh! I am loving this story and I can't wait for more. It made my day! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, what they said.

Corrina, you're doing a terrific job with your pacing. I keep wanting them to move faster, and you keep slowing them down, but it's the right thing to do. You're making them take the time to build this relationship step by careful step. And each step is a joy to watch unfold.

sloppy

This *is* my happily ever after.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That part made my day too smile1 I was hoping I would come home from work to find a new part to read and yes it was the best yet! It was great that they were together for all of it, though I do understand that they can't always be. It was a real treat.

I love how everything Lois has to say fascinates Kal and how he understands what his planet is lacking compared to earth without Lois spelling it out. He definitely thinks a world where people are like Lois and hug and kiss on a regular basis is a pretty wonderful place, but it isn't just that, he's starting to understand it may be possible, even on such a troubled planet, to sometimes forget the difficulties - to smile and laugh. Just them working on the children's story together was such a symbol of hope. If they can start with the children they can build the future from there. Again, you described so well Lois explaining something so basic on earth as a story to Kal.

Lois must be gaining a new apprecaition for life on earth too. Surely if she were to go back she would treasure what they have there so much more. Not possession-wise, but in terms of attitudes and behaviour - and hope!

Yes it will be interesting when Kal smiles in front of the Kryptonians. He couldn't stop after the hug. They clearly won't understand and will probably disapprove or be wary of the influence Lois seems to be having on their ruler, even if she does have the answer to their water problems.

The hugs were lovely, it is exactly what he has needed since this story began, and long before. No-one has ever touched him before - poor Kal. The way he is so affected by any loss of life on his planet is so Clark/Superman and hopefully Lois will be able to help him find ways to prevent it. She will help shape him just as she helped shape Superman in the show.

His attempt at a joke was adorable and showed such understanding. Lois must feel so pleased at the success of her teaching and explanations.

It's so sweet how he didn't dare ask her to hug him again. Thankfully she took the the hint when he stood up and when she helped him hug her back it was beautiful. hyper Can't wait, I hope nothing gets in the way. Such simple things are made so magical in this fic.

I'll be eagerly checking for part 11. Thank you so much for writing this story! By the way, Kal is no longer in the suit in my head! It's more like the outfit he married Zara in now - I'm trying! Like I say, it is my imagination that keeps putting him in it not your writing!

Emma

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Nice part huh

Michael, already waiting for 11 mecry

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A truly great part. More soon, please.
Tan koo.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Firstly, a general comment. My 19yo son happened to glance over my shoulder when I was reading the FDK. He saw:-

I promise not to bite you.
(Terry)

I'd even share my worms on a plate with you.
(Kathy)

He really needs to look up the words 'concubine' and 'leash'
(Michael)

Tan koo.
(Artemis).

Suffice to say my son now has more than a few questions regarding these strange people called FoLCS!!
smile1 re your comment on pacing. I find pacing to be the toughest part of writing a budding relationship ... too quick and it seems improbable (and you miss opportunities for little moments along the way), too slow and everyone loses interest.

I really appreciate that you think it is moving along well.

Emma

Lois must be gaining a new apprecaition for life on earth too. Surely if she were to go back she would treasure what they have there so much more. Not possession-wise, but in terms of attitudes and behaviour - and hope!
You know, I hadn't actually thought about this, but you make a great point.

I'm glad you've got Kal out of that black suit eek and into something more modest!

Thanks for all your lovely FDK, Emma.

Michael

That's the idea
laugh

A little research for Kal ... uhmm. wink

Thanks for all the amazing FDK, Michael.

Artemis More coming as soon as I can get Part 15 to Iolanthe.

Thanks for your FDK.

Thanks everyone,

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was in a rush and forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the idea of the childrens book. How sad NK doesn't have childrens books.
Glad to see there will be more soon.
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Beautiful chapter, Corinna!

You know, when I read your description of New Krypton and its people, I keep thinking of "fearal children", those that have been abandoned not only by their proper but by their entire society and by everything that is typical of their species, and they grow into sad shadows of what they should have been.

New Krypton is a place of dearth. There is a lack of everything: water, food, heat and proper sunlight. And perhaps worse, there is a lack of human warmth, of smiles and laughter, of tears, of dreams and imagination, of stories. I think it was HappyGirl who said that all humans everywhere smile and laugh, and surely all people everywhere tell stories, too. Surely everyone does? Who has ever heard of a people without a shred of mythology, of stories about the past and about the world beyond?

And then there is the physical touching. Well, customs vary, and the popularity of touching may vary, too. But for all of that - it was heartbreaking to read about Kal's absolute lack of familiarity with a simple hug, and it was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time to see how he reacted to it like a seed in the desert reacts to the first rain that has fallen there for years and years - as if this was the most wonderful thing ever, something this seed has always dreamt about without knowing it, and now that it has experienced it, nothing will ever be the same again. The seed can't help but bloom, putting out splendid flowers.

[Linked Image]

Kal's lack of understanding of what a story is, what a joke is and what a hug is, and Lois's way of showing him this these magical things - well, it was wonderfully told by you.

In a way, this story reminds me in its theme about Dante's Divine Comedy, except it is like the other way around. In Divine Comedy, Dante himself is the visitor who is guided through Hell by Hell's noble but heathen resident, the Roman poet Virgil.

[Linked Image]

But in your story, Lois is the visitor who is gently guiding Kal, "the noble heathen", "out of Hell", showing him a possible, so much brighter future.

Or maybe Lois is Kal's Beatrice, the woman who guided Dante through Heaven. Admittedly New Krypton is so far from anybody's Heaven, but when Kal is enveloped in Lois's arms, "draped" in all of her body, then surely heaven is not far away.

Ann

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
/me melts into a puddle of fangirl goo! drool

I must add my voice to the chorus of praise for this scene. I adored the the joke, the hugging and the longing. I must say that Kal is an awful quick study if he's already realizing that hugging *and* kissing together would be an amazing experience.

I also hope that at some point in the story that Lois will sing to him. If he's not hooked on her by then, that'll be the clincher. Oh, and I simply cannot wait for Lois to introduce Kal to dancing.
devil

I agree that seeing them step slowly into a physical relationship is appropriate and fun to watch (even if I'm aggravated by waiting for each chapter <bg>). There are still some serious cultural barriers and they need to build understanding and trust along with their physical closeness.

I loved that Lois decided to write a children's book in an effort to connect to the Kryptonian people. Her thought that writing about universal concepts (such as sharing and friendship) was a good one and I'm sure that Kal is smart enough to see the value of a story - that often life's truths are sometimes easier to see through fiction than through historical or factual writing.

I also see something elemental in Kal's desire to sit with Lois and hear her read the story to him. As others have mentioned, he missed out on so much in his life and childhood as far as physical affection and now Lois is giving it to him. Not just the hugs and kisses (which are brilliant), but the cuddling together with a good book before bed.

<sigh>. More soon, please.
grovel

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Did Earth people ever hug *and* kiss at the same time? If Lois were to lift her head off his shoulder and tilt her face up, she would be in exactly the right position for him to connect his mouth with hers.
*cough* I'm sure you've heard of the Scientific Method, Kal.

Lovely puddles of goo in this part,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Just beautiful, thank you

Top Banana
Top Banana
OK, I admit it. I am officially addicted to this story.

I don't usually enjoy stories about New Krypton. Tank, if I recall, has mentioned he hates stories where Lois and Clark have children. Well, I hate stories that deal with New Krypton. Until this story, I would have said I only read stories about Clark or Superman - never about Kal El. And, to be absolutely honest, when you first posted chapter 1, I opened it, realized it was set on New Krypton, and promptly closed it again.

But I couldn't help but notice all the feedback your story was generating, so I finally decided to give it another try. OMG! This story is AMAZING! Lois's first conversation with Kal, her refusal to believe she was on another planet, Kal thinking her planet was the Daily Planet - it had me in stitches! As the story unfolds, I am just caught up in it to an extent I cannot believe. Their first kiss. First hug. Kal's first smile. His first joke. His reaction to Lois's story. His reason for taking concubines. I am hooked.

The bad part is I just read all 10 chapters in one fell swoop, and now I'm going crazy waiting for chapter 11.

What a lovely story you are writing here. Thank you so much.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
All the reaction I can manage is a happy sigh. smile

Each part of this story deserves a slow, deliberate read, but this part in particular deserved to be savored.

BTW, I'm thrilled that you couldn't respond to my last fdk...I am so looking forward to seeing where this story goes (whether I've made any correct guesses or not)!

So, could you post another part soon? Please? smile

Amber

Top Banana
Top Banana
Ann has now solved the mystery of why the NKers never smile or laugh. She mentioned that they never see proper sunlight, and the lightbulb went on:

They all have a permanent case of Seasonal Affect Disorder. frown

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Artemis For us, the thought of no books is horrific ... however I have heard that even here in Australia there are some homes that have no books - by choice. Imagine a whole society like that shock

Ann

Who has ever heard of a people without a shred of mythology, of stories about the past and about the world beyond?
Here's one thought - with the separation of the sides before New Krypton, their histories and mythology would be vastly different - and probably biased - and probably detrimental to future unity.

Thanks for all your FDK, Ann. So often you make great points and I learn a lot from reading your reactions.

Brenda Not being particularly musical, I haven't actually put in any singing or dancing yet. But it is a fantastic idea - one that I may steal smile . If Kal does get to dance with Lois, he will have you to thank!!

Glad you like Lois writing a children's book. I really couldn't see her doing nothing once she had adjusted a little to her new environment.

Thanks Brenda!

Shadow 'Scientific Method'- that has potential! Thanks.

silm Thanks for reading and leaving FDK.

Vicki Hey, thanks for giving my fic a second chance. I'm glad you weren't disappointed.

Ten parts in one sitting - whoa!

Amber Thanks. The next part is posted.

The fact I couldn't respond to your earlier FDK probably suggests you weren't totally off-track wink

Happy Girl Yep - gloomy weather, gloomy people.

Thanks

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
thanks for giving my fic a second chance
No, thank YOU! You definitely taught me a lesson - to paraphrase that old saying: You can't judge a book by its setting. smile

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard