Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Comments go here!

Thanks everyone!

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Another touching chapter. I'd have liked to read more about Kal and Lois. This is just a fantastic story and I'm glad about every new part. Thank you so much for sharing! hail hail hail

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yay, they're back to talking. And thinking about not *taking*. Wonder what Lois is going to think Kal is going to say when the not talking ends up with much more body-language than she intended. After all, he's he Supreme Ruler, she's his concubine, a lot of not *talking* initiated by the concubine must have very serious consequences :p

The absence of any mentioning of Nor during the meting was quite conspicuous. Was he one agreeing or disagreeing. And did he agree or disagree with the inland or shore drilling?

Does Iolanthe already have part 14?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yay, another part so soon, and it's the weekend so I could read it as soon as I saw it there! It was beautiful. clap So pleased Lois and Kal got chance to talk some more. I grin constantly throughout the Lois and Kal scenes.

Perry would be proud of her.

He’d nagged her for years to *feel* her stories more - to delve beyond the cold detail and allow her heart a little freedom.

How strange that it had taken living in the most stolid place imaginable to release her emotions enough that they penetrated her work.
Kal is having the same effect on Lois' writing as Clark. Just one of the many subtle reminders they are actually one and the same, just in a very different set of circumstances. He's awakening her heart just as she is his, though neither is of course fully aware of the effect they are having on the other.

Just the thought of uncovering a bad guy had teased her investigative juices out of hibernation.
Uh oh - watch out Kal.

There was such electricity when they were reunited after the fourteen long hours, both feeling equal amounts of butterflies and I just love the simplicity of their mealtime ritual. It's as though they have been doing the same for years.

Low-iss took a small mouthful of food and chewed it slowly as she stared at the plate. She didn’t want to look at him - which confirmed Kal's suspicions that asking her to do it again had been a mistake.

“What was that called?” Kal asked quietly.
They already know what the other is thinking.

“Because it’s something you don’t do unless you’re sure the other person wants you to.”
She has yet to spell out why people on earth kiss each other, but Kal is beginning to understand even if he doesn't realise it. And he's definitely sure he likes it!

I just love how you show that such simple, often throwaway, words can change the meaning and enhance a conversation so much, and how strange it seems when the new-kryptonians don't have any comprehension of words such as 'please' and 'thank you'. As a result, when Kal uses them the meaning is heightened as if he is really making a statement.

“S-orry,” Kal said. “S-mile.”

“Good,” Lois said. “What other word do you want to learn?”

“The word for smile with sound.”

Lois chuckled. “Laugh,” she said.

“Laugh,” he said. “It is so good when you laugh.”

His simple candour was enchanting.
These scenes are so enchanting! sloppy

He grinned suddenly. It wasn’t a smile. It was a bona fide grin ... boyish definitely ... a little lop-sided ... and appearing to have been sparked by something within him ... something light-hearted.
A fantastic boost for the male-ego he doesn't realise he has! wink

Still grinning, Kal’s eyes trained on her mouth and then his forefinger followed his gaze – until the pad of it landed softly on the centre of her lips. He hesitated, then lifted it, turned it and brought the same pad to his own mouth.
Aww! sloppy

Kal is taking the lead this time, being much more forward. Well, forward in the context of their tender innocent relationship. He is so keen for another kiss.

Lois felt like she was being pulled into a whirlpool. She knew she had to break away. She had to speak, had to pull back from the vortex. If she didn’t, she would be helpless. She would kiss him. And if she kissed him ... even once ... she … they … he … “Well done,” she said, her voice low and rough.

His throat leapt. “Thank you,” he said, equally low and rough.

“You’re welcome.”

Kal stood abruptly. “I have a meeting,” he informed her. He picked up the forgotten plate with its cold food. “I’ll see you for supper.”
Argh - so close!! He'll never get any work done.

Her *not* kissing him had infinitely greater capacity for chaos.
laugh

Just a side note. It has much more to do with my falutly imagination than your descriptions but no matter how I try I still picture Kal in the black costume with the blue 's'. I don't know why, I wasn't even a particular fan of that costume. I think it's the best way I can imagine him without my traditional view of 'Clark' getting in the way. I have no trouble picturing Lois in whatever outfit you put her in.

Anyway, can't wait for what the next part has in store.

Emma

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Merriwether
Merriwether
I love how Kal has a gift for languages, no matter where he grew up or what his name is. That's a very "Clark" quality, and I really like that it's not dependent on his being a Kryptonian growing up on Earth.

Of course, it helps that he has a good teacher ... and a big incentive to learn her language. Her smile is so wonderful, it's the definition of positive reinforcement. thumbsup

I'm also glad that they are talking again, and are back to sharing their meals. I enjoy learning all the things Lois learns while they are apart, but I'm as anxious as she is to get them back in the same room. Those scenes are just wonderful.

The final scene, with Perry, has me intrigued, however. I've been operating on the assumption that Lois was on NK to stay. But the fact that you've shown up glimpses of what is happening on Earth makes me wonder what you have up your sleeve ...

More, please? I'm constantly stalking the boards in hopes of an update. laugh

Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, you've got to me hooked, like right now I should be doing school work. What a wonderful glimpse of the way things would be had Lois been the alien. Kal-El's qualities are innately good no matter where he is. And Lois has the ability to soften him no matter where she meets him.

I'm so glad that she is back in his room and promises to be there when he returns. I'm curious to know the protocol for Kryptonian--annulments? I see one coming. Though Krypton doesn't have a word for love, he sure shows a lot of it!

This is absolutely magnificent!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
This was another fabulous part, and I am totally convinced that Kal has been on Earth. Lois's comment about Kal being able to speak foreign sounds was the kicker.

Nor is right to be concerned about Lois's arrival on the planet! And I wonder if Lois's little children's book is going to be more than she meant it to be.

Thank you for posting this part so quickly! Can't wait for more!

Amber

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, I'm beta-ing and it's great! Yes, Michael, I did get Part 14 and zipped it back to FH.

Even I don't know where this story is going (except for the next 3 parts) - Corrina keeps on ending the parts on cliffhangers!

So you can rest assured that there is plenty of juicy ficcy goodness left to come!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Can't help thinking that the mother could be Lara, Kal's mother. All right, I know, others have said that before! wink

Okay, but here's what I'm thinking. Kal has been "sent" to this horrible world to save it. I don't want to be too controversial here, but there is some sort of similarity between Kal and Jesus. God sent his "only begotten Son" to the world to save it, and Lara and Jor-El may have sent Kal to New Krypton to save it, though not by helping the NKers to gain eternal life in Heaven. But they may have sent him there to help the NKers find water and to generally straighten up their society and make it more humane (or Kryptonian?).

If Kal is some sort of "Jesus", that might partly explain why he is so untouched by the "evilness" of his society, which allows a man like Lord Nor to gain and kill concubines as he pleases.

Keep it coming, Corinna!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It is 12:45 am but I had to read this. Thanks for posting quickly. I am still loving it but I still want more! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
Corrina,

I just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying this story. You write extremely well and you've done a great job creating a strange new world for Lois and us to explore.

I'm always fascinated by other authors' interpretations of Kryptonians/New Krypton. I had to break with canon in order to make my story make sense because it was imperative that Kryptonians and Earth humans be the same species. I also wanted very much to make Kryptonian culture and society something worth saving. On the show, I didn't get that impression. People that were as technologically advanced as the Kryptonians but who were outright barbarians with no respect for individual rights weren't exactly the most sympathetic or interesting people to make Clark hang out with for four years.

I'm really enjoying seeing your different take on this - the Kryptonians still seem stuck in a backwards, feudal system, but even though Kal El doesn't know anything different, he is still willing to listen and take advice from a female alien of no standing in his society. Shades of Clark appear more and more in Kal El, even though he is clearly without the influence of Earth culture.

I'm also intrigued by your Kryptonians' strange emotional responses. The seven basic emotional responses - anger, fear, disgust, happiness, sadness, surprise, and contempt are universal in human beings. You could travel anywhere in the world and everyone would be able to identify these reactions in your expressions. Even tribes who have never had any contact with the outside world use the exact same facial expressions and recognize them in others for these seven emotional responses. These things aren't cultural, they're biological. The same is, of course, true for the human reproductive drive. No one has to teach it to you, it's just there. How strange and interesting it is to see a world without recognition of some of those basic emotional responses. And one in which at least Kal El seems to have had no particular drive to find a mate.

I'm intrigued and, like Lois, eagerly looking forward to learning more about this new world. Thanks for sharing this story.

Rac

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
bakasi I try to make sure there is a lot of Lois/Kal (because they're my favourite bits too) in each part, but without all the rest, the story isn't going to make sense.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

Michael I think there needs to be more talking before they get to the 'not talking'! laugh

Thanks, Michael.

Emma

Kal is having the same effect on Lois' writing as Clark. Just one of the many subtle reminders they are actually one and the same, just in a very different set of circumstances.
One of the fun parts for me in writing this was slipping 'Clark' into the story.

Kal is taking the lead this time, being much more forward. Well, forward in the context of their tender innocent relationship. He is so keen for another kiss.
Kal is a leader (Clark was too, certainly as Superman), so I'm trying to balance his natural tendencies to lead with the overwhelming newness of his relationship with Lois.

About Kal's clothes - he *isn't* wearing the black suit! I don't think Lois could have failed to notice that!! He's wearing a jacket -similar to the one he wore over the black suit in TNAOS, but with long sleeves - and pants outfit.

However ... that black suit may just make an appearance! eek

Thanks for all your FDK, Emma.

Kathy Thanks for saying you like the scenes where they are apart. I know most, if not all of us (including me), like the together scenes most, but to get the smile1 into those scenes, they have to spend some time apart. And there's a whole new planet out there for Lois to explore!

Thanks, Kathy. Next part ... either tonight or tomorrow (my time).

Sheila

Okay, you've got to me hooked, like right now I should be doing school work.
I know the feeling. Most of this fic has been written when I should/could have been doing something else. blush

Thanks for commenting, Sheila.

Amber There is so much I could say in reply to your FDK, Amber, but I can't find a way to say it without giving away more than I want to!

So, thanks ... your thoughts are ... cool

Iolanthe One of the reasons I've been able to post this quicker than I had originally thought is because of your always-speedy beta - which I appreciate more than you could realise.

Part 15 is being wilful - it wants to wander. Once I bash it into shape, it will arrive in your in-box.

Glad you 'liked' the cliffhangers! rotflol

Ann Interesting idea. The basis of your thinking is somewhat in line with my fic ... but not the rest.

I'm a Christian ... my feeling is that a story like that would have to be really, really carefully written.

But on a side note ... I have been amazed by all the ideas generated in the FDK threads. If, in the future I'm stuck for a story idea, I'm coming back here!!

Laura Late nights ... uhm ... this fic has given me a few of those!

Thanks for your FDK, Laura.

Rac Thanks for your comments, Rac.

I have to admit, I haven't read your fic - I've read very little the past month. Also, since starting this fic, I've deliberately stayed away from anything with even the slightest mention of NK because I don't want to inadvertently slip the ideas of others into my fic.

Interesting point about the society being worth saving. I agree, there didn't seem to be much shown in TNAOS. However, surely there were good people, even though the leaders were so bad.

Lois is going to meet some NKers and find out that even though the society seems stolid and unfriendly and straight-laced, individuals are not necessarily like that at all.

Thanks everyone,

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Corrina,

I'm late to the feedback party again, and a lot of my reactions have already been shared. Namely, that the awakening of hearts here is mutual, not one-sided, and that the mention of Perry smacks of an eventual return to Earth.

A couple of other thoughts:

- You said early on that you originally started this fic because Carol's Backwards wasn't quite as completely backwards as you had anticipated. I know you've moved way past that original premise, but I thought of it in this regard: not only is Lois now the Strange Visitor from Another Planet, she is also, in her own quiet way, the Hero of New Krypton. No one else may ever realize it, but if this drilling idea works it will have been Lois who saved them all, including herself, like Clark and the Nightfall asteroid.

- It's great to see Lois's investigative reporter personality begin to emerge. Her conversation with Jib showed what a consumate interviewer she is (a talent, by the way, which we don't see much of in the show). As she gets her feet under her after her tremendous culture shock, her strong personality is bound to emerge. She can't go back to her old life (or can she??? remains to be seen), but she's got to find a way to integrate her own personality into this new world. She has to adapt to this culture for her own survival, but can never be the kind of woman who was raised in this culture.

As for the Lois and Kal scenes, all I can say is that you are a tease laugh Like Kal, we are left wanting more. Which, of course, is precisely the way you planned it.

Ann, there are definitely resonances between the Superman mythos and the Christian narrative. The writers of the Superman movies certainly milked them for all they're worth. "For this reason I have sent them you, my only son. They can be a great people if they wish to be. They only lack the light to show them the way." The Jor-El of the movieverse fancies himself a benevolent superior being sending his son to enlighten the poor benighted earthlings and bring out their latent potential for good. And his son must always remain above the earthlings. He must never descend to their level. And the scene after Superman throws Luthor's island into space--he's falling back to earth unconscious with his arms stretched wide--is an obvious visual allusion to the crucifixion. But I would argue that Jor-El's insistance that Kal-El remain distant, always above the humans, actually distinguishes his story from the gospel. The whole point, indeed, the scandal, of the incarnation is Emmanuel, God *with* us, no longer only *above* us. In this way TNAOS is closer because Clark is truly human. Indeed, that's his deepest desire--to belong, to fit in, to be accepted as one of us. But, unlike Jesus, Clark is also a fallen being, in need of forgiveness just like the rest of us. One of the things I love about TNAOS is the portrayal of forgiveness. Lois and Clark hurt each other, but, because they love each other, they also forgive each other. In fact, one could argue that the biggest difference between the movie world and the L&C world is Clark's humanity. In the SR movie Superman seemed startled to realize that Lois was angry with him--that he had, in fact, done something wrong. 'Our' Clark knows that he screws up just like everyone else. In fact, this question of Kal-El/Clark Kent's true self if the main difference between the movieverse and the Lois & Clark world. Is he mostly the high and mighty Kryptonian Lord who walks among us in lowly guise, or is he really one of us who happens to have some extra gifts and tries to use them to help as best he can? Which is where the parallels break down, because, in a paradox that none of us can really comprehend, Jesus claimed to be both God and human. I think Clark would be delighted to settle for plain human. (End of treatise--it's safe to come out now.)

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Happy girl Thanks for your amazing FDK.

Re Carol's 'Backwards' - it wasn't so much that her fic didn't go as completely backwards - more that it went backwards in a completely different direction.

Re Lois being the 'Strange Visitor from Another Planet' - that was actually my initial title for this fic. I wasn't sure about any copyright issues in using that - and then I decided I liked 'Awaken My Heart' better.

But Lois certainly is a 'Strange Visitor from Another Planet'!

Thank you so much for what you said about the Superman story and the Christian faith. When I replied to the FDK yesterday morning, I had to go out and didn't have the time to frame a reply which would do justice to the subject.

When I got home, I discovered you had done a wonderful job of explaining it and I agree with everything you said.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard