Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thoughts?

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ouch! There was so much progress in this chapter. I was thrilled to see Clark talking with Dr. Friskin and gave him a mental high-five when he admitted that Ultrawoman was his wife. That was a real accomplishment for him.

Seeing them start to settle in as a family was nice as well. Clark connects with Jon and no longer feels as threatened by Jon and Lois' bedtime ritual. Then, the beautiful description of their game of tag and the late night picnic on the beach. It all seemed like they were making steps in the right direction.

And then... pow! Lois stood up for her principles and walked out of the interview. She made me proud. I should have realized that Clark would take two steps back by assuming that her boundaries meant she didn't believe in him or that he was a coward.

I fear that Clark is going to do something really stupid next. I hope I'm wrong.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm not sure that Clark thinks that Lois believes that he's hiding behind her, but I'm sure that he thinks that the general public believes that he's hiding behind her. As BJ suggested, he's going to do something, and it very well might be something stupid, like reveal himself to be Superman to the world.

While talk show hosts sometimes disregard agreements with their guests like this, it's a bad precedent to set. Maura and Dave are risking their ratings and their platform for a temporary bump in viewer interest. I wouldn't be surprised to see the public rally around Lois and send their show into Jerry Springer territory.

Loved the bedtime scene with Clark and Jon! "Tickle monster" has made numerous appearances at our house for our kids and grandkids, and that brought back some wonderful memories for me. Thanks.

And the competitive flying between Lois and Clark was so romantic and innocent all at the same time. The way Lois led him to the island was sweet and childish (in a very good way), and their time together was precious and very needed - for both of them.

Clark's time with Dr. Friskin was good, too. He has to open up to Lois about what happened to him on New Krypton. Maybe he could write a book about it and let Lois read the galley proofs. That might serve triple duty: inform Lois, allow Clark to get the horrors out of his head and on paper where they wouldn't be quite as scary, and tell the world what happened to Superman.

On the side, the family would have two best-selling authors. It could happen!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It was so painful to hear Clark explain to Dr. Friskin about his guilt and lack of confidence and his soul-crushing feeling that he isn't measuring up. Of course, the more he beats himself up over all of this, the worse he is going to feel about himself, the angrier he is likely to be, and the greater the risk that he is going to do something stupid.

But I'm glad that he told Dr. Friskin about it, all the same. Just verbalizing it to himself might mean that he understands his own reasoning better, and he has a greater chance to see where he is wrong, and what sort of chances he needs to take to make everything better. Does he dare to trust in Lois's love for himself, for example, and does he dare to believe that he is worth her love?

Lois and Clark's flying game and romantic night on the island was wonderful. And then those talk show hosts had to go and ruin everything.

I'm waiting anxiously for the next chapter!

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
Hi Rac,

I'm sorry I'm not commenting regularly, but I am still reading your story. Real life seems to get in the way of my pleasure.

I was happy to see Clark make some progress with Lois, his son and with Dr Friskin.

However, I was worried by his reaction to Lois' interview. I'm sure TV hosts can't always be relied upon to stick to instructions, but these two seemed particularly objectionable.

I hope that Clark doesn't run off and do something stupid.

Yours Jenni

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great update, Rac clap

The flying was fun and Clark's reflections on Doc's psycho judo were hilarious.

Wondering where you're headed with the final scene dizzy

Hoping to see part 15 soon smile
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I'm thinking this could be really bad or it could be the impetus for a breakthrough for Clark. I agree with a previous comment - writing a book might just be what Clark needs to do.

I love this story...more soon please!

Amber

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part, Rac. I'm hoping Clark is making progress. My other thought at Clark's reaction to Lois being blindsided on the interview show is that he show up and start giving interviews as Clark about some of the things on NK. I don't really know if he is up to that, but that's what occurred to me when I read the story.
Keep it coming!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
L
Blogger
Blogger
L
Hi Rac,

I was wondering if you have the link for the previous chapters?

Thanks,
Lote

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lote, go here:
http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001085#000000
Be aware that this is part 3 of a 3 parter

Part I, Belief and Sacrifice on the archive is here
http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2005/longest.txt
Part II, The Roads They Walked Alone is here
http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2007/longalon.txt
Enjoy!
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
L
Blogger
Blogger
L
Artemis, thanks so much. smile I'm looking forward to reading all the parts.

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thank you for your comments, everyone!

BJ, I agree that Clark's reaction is foreboding; who knows what he's going to do next? I'm glad you enjoyed Lois's response to the journalistic ambush.

Hi Terry. Thanks for your very thoughtful comments, as always. I agree that Clark's more concerned with the way the public views him and I can't see him taking the notion that he's hiding behind his wife well. My little cousins were big fans of the Tickle Monster, too. wink

Ann, thanks for your very insightful comments. It's true that Clark is probably working himself into a vicious cycle - having a low opinion of himself that makes him angrier, which leads him to do something stupid...

Thanks for reading and posting comments, Jenni. I certainly know what it's like to be overwhelmed by RL, so please don't feel bad about not being able to comment more. I appreciate all the very kind feedback you do provide.

Hi Michael. I'm working on Part 15 and hope to have it up soon. I'm glad you enjoyed Clark's ruminations about being put in a submission hold by his therapist. I write this Clark, with all of his experiences, with a darker sense of humor.

Thanks for your comments, Amber. I'm glad you're reading and enjoying the story.

Thanks, Artemis. Given how hard it is for Clark to talk to Lois about what happened to him, I'm not sure he'd be thrilled to share what he sees as his humiliation with the whole world. Thanks also for posting those helpful links. Man, this story has been going on for a long time.

Lote, I hope you enjoy the story. Writing it has been quite an experience.

Thanks again everyone! More will be posted soon!

Regards,

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard