Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, there it is. She has announced herself to the world. Hopefully it at least comes close to the build-up.

Bob

G
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
G
WOW sloppy

L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Been a busy weekend here, but I loved the last two chapters. The interaction between Lois and Clark comparing their approaches was brilliant and I LOVED the press conference, especially Clark being able to be a bit freer with his emotions in the suit. The floating was adorable.

I especially loved Lois' final word. Superman definitely seemed to be taken for granted by the populous. Whenever he seems to slip up, even after years of work, (SLV or LW) they turn on him. The questions that were asked were incredibly revealing of just how little the public really appreciates Superman, and I think it was a very accurate portrayal of both our media and public interest trends. How often do our own political campaigns turn to dirt slinging volleys into why *not* to vote for x candidate instead of focusing on what the person actually plans to do once in office and why we *should* vote for them?

The fact that these reporters immediately started prying into the past, bring up incidents which, in your timeline, were a year or two ago *and* disproved to bat, is truly a mark on how precarious public opinion is of Superman. Although the kicker to me is still in Lethal Weapon when they were going to assassinate Superman as soon as he seemed to put a toe out of line.

Sara "Lieta"
Kerth
Kerth
Perfect, Bob.

“What kind of wedding did you have?”

“A private one.”
clap

“Ultra Woman, I had some questions about your origins but somehow I don’t think that’s the real story today. You may not appreciate it, but you have married the most sought-after man on this planet. You’re the first person we have ever been able to ask, so please forgive the personal nature of the question. What is Superman like when he’s not saving people and stopping crime?”

Now that’s a question to end on. I’d better make this good. “When the other Kryptonians came here a few years ago, you saw what can happen when people have Kal’s abilities but lack his morality and compassion. Now consider what Kal has done and continues to do as Superman. Ask yourself what kind of person uses their abilities such as my husband does for no reason other than to help in ways only he can. I spent much of last evening comforting Kal, because he was grief stricken at his inability to have saved more people in that disaster. In private, Kal is the kindest, gentlest and most wonderful person I have known. He is one among billions and you – and I, are supremely fortunate to have him.” With those words, I copy Clark’s departure.
What a way to finish!!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Great press conference, Bob. Hilarious. I can't believe Lois herself didn't burst out laughing a couple of times.

I also noticed how different Kal and Lor are in the way they treat the press. Lor was all stiff and and formal and Kal all cordial and the kiss will probably be exploited for all it was worth in the dirt rags.

“I have grown since I was here before. As for the symbol you call an ‘S’, it is the symbol of the house of El. It is proper for me to wear the symbol of the house of my husband.”
Great innocent slip laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
Kerth
And several million fangirl and fanboy hearts just broke...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you all so much!!!

I have to admit that I was nervous going into this Chapter. I was worried that I had been so successful in building up to it, that the realization was not going to meet the expectations. I’m very happy that it seemed to come across so well. For the record, The Fabulous Beverly thought that the sequence of chapters 14 through 16 was the best part of the story.

A few notes:
1. I thought that it was very important that Ultra Woman present herself in a way that seemed as different as possible from Lois Lane. The fact that Superman came in and was relaxed and comfortable in contrast to Ultra Woman’s obvious discomfort was deliberate and designed to imply that she was a recent arrival on Earth.
2. The people of Metropolis (and the world) *do* take Superman way-too-much for granted. I mean, good grief, for Nightfall alone they should hold a day of celebration every year in his honor. The reality is that given the kind of power that a super hero would have, Lord Nor’s idea of declaring himself absolute ruler is much more likely than the altruistic behavior that we see from Clark.
3. This was too good an opportunity to show to the general public that Superman (and Ultra Woman) have feelings. Now that there is the chance to “humanize” Superman, they needed to make the most of it. Feeling lonely and wanting to have a companion to share things with would, I think, make Superman seem much less alien and therefore less scary.

This was the “payoff” chapter but there is still some story to tell. I hope you will stick around while I tie up a few threads.

I appreciate the FDK more than I can say!

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bob, another great chapter. I agree with the other posters in that the last paragraph was great. And you are so right - it's rare for someone with power to be so altruistic.

Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

Now I'm catching up on my reading and I agree with all the other comments - I love Ultra Woman's introduction to the world.

It was serious, yet playful too, and I love the part where she and Superman float when kissing. I can imagine the scene and all the media cheering and laughing. It made me smile. smile

I look forward to reading more of this story.

Yours Jenni

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Iolan:
I’m glad you liked it. I guess it was my hope that part of the long-term after effects of a press conference such as Ultra Woman presented would be more appreciation of what Superman (and family) do.

Hi Jenni: wave
I’m glad you liked the Ultra Woman intro. The challenge was how to use the occasion to present her as a “new alien visitor” and use her arrival to “humanize” Superman.

Again, thank you all for the kind FDK. I was *so* nervous that this was not going to be up to expectations.

Bob

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard