Thanks for the comments! As I mentioned in the comments thread, this was actually three separate stories from the same episode, put together under one title mostly for the archive, so there's a few things that I skipped. Just figure that everything that happened between the first part and this part happened like it did in the story. After all, Lois had a lot to think about!

Part 3 on Saturday, time depending on my plans for the day.

Catch the Wind

I stare at the other side of the plane wall, my mind racing. I've spent the last two days coming to terms with my new knowledge. I think I can understand why he hasn't told anyone. After all, you can't walk into a meeting and say "Hi, I can fly," and not get weird looks. Or prove it and freak people out. And the hype is already building, and I'm beginning to see groupies. Not that I'm one of them. Oh, sure, I may have been starstruck, but I lust over Mel Gibson and I can still see his flaws. And it's not exactly something you share with your coworkers, especially if you're in the news biz, like we are. I'm sure he's afraid he's tomorrow's headline, "Mild-Mannered Reporter Really Alien from Space!" After seeing these quasi-government freaks, I understand that so much more than I did last week.

Now that I know, however, things are looking up. Oh, I have plans for Mr. Flying-by-the-seat-of-my-Greenjeans. What I've seen so far can come in really handy. Especially now. But I need some way to get him to open up to me, but quietly enough that the idiot Trask doesn't hear. It shouldn't be too hard with the sounds of the engines.

"It's a romance novel," I blurt out, trying out an insane idea before I can think of all the ramifications. Maybe give-a-little-get-a-little will help.

"What?" Clark looks at me, confused.

"My novel. It's about a woman who dies without ever finding her true love." Okay, I probably didn't need to blurt that much out, but there it is. Clark's seemed fairly trustworthy so far. And if you can't trust Superman, who can you trust?

"That's not going to happen to you, Lois."

Aww, that's sweet of him to say. Though I know it's not going to happen and I'll end up thinner than I'd planned, unless I can nudge him in the right direction. "Yeah? Check it out, Clark. These guys look serious." I nodded toward Trask and the rest of his goons. Serious Trask, serious goons. I've never been fond of goons.

"So, I told you, now you tell me." I stare at Clark and try thinking at him 'Tell me, tell me, tell me,' hoping he'll take the hint.

"Tell you what?" Yep, still confused. Maybe I can try this from another angle.

"What really happened between you and Cat? Not that I care, but it's probably the best secret you got going. If we get out of this, Clark, you have to raise your standards." I squash the urge to compare Cat to myself, but after the big revelation, it's probably better if I wait. This is one time when I'm not going to just jump right in.

Clark looks like he's about to say something when Trask butts in, taunting us. One of the goons opens the plane door, and I realize what they're going to do as the air pressure drastically changes. Clark tries protect me, sweet of him, really, but a plan pops into my head.

"No, I'll go," I say, eying Clark.

"Lois! You don't understand!"

'I understand more than you think', I think as one of the goons come up to grab me. Clark looks so miserable, though, and I know he doesn't have the same idea I do. I know that if I jump out first, they'll probably try to restrain me, or wait too long to send me after. But if I know Clark and his protective streak, he'll probably come shooting out of the door soon after I do, no matter what. My plan is so much better than whatever he's thinking of. But how to get him on the same page?

"I ought to get at least one last request," I say, staring at Clark.

"Within reason." Oh, so smug, aren't we. Not once we get done with you, you jackass. But first we need to get back down on the ground.

"I want to kiss Clark goodbye." Wait, kiss? Where'd that come from? No, no, no, I was just going to say hug! Hug, dangit! I mean, I've thought of kissing Superman, sure, but not Clark. Well, except for that one time a few days after we met, but I try to get my mind away from that. Though now I've said it, I see it's a much better request, and I can do a two-for-one.

Trask nods, and I walk over, staring up at Clark, begging him to go with me on this. I stretch up as he leans down, and our lips meet. It's much better than I thought. Clark's a really good kisser! The kiss ends, and I lean into him, my knees a little wobbly and my mind a little too blank. I try to get my mind back on track, and give him the hug I'd originally intended. Clark tries to say something, but there's no time. I know the natives, er, goons are getting restless.

"I know. Follow my lead, and make sure I don't hit anything on the way down."

I figure I have to put on a good show. After all, I'm sure even they've heard of Mad Dog Lane, especially after the last day. And goons being goons, I'm fairly sure what will happen. I hope, anyway, that they just don't decide to shoot me instead. I spin around and jab a few times at Trask and I see Clark go after one of the goons. I spin a bit on the heel of my foot to get closer to the door, and sure enough, I get pushed out the door.

I flail a few times, getting distracted by memories of Wile E Coyote cartoons. I wonder what running on air is really like? I force my mind back to the plan and get out a few good shouts just in odd chance they have a microphone pointed towards me. I don't think it's possible, but just in case, I need to put on a good show. I peer at the clouds, and mid-shout, Clark swoops in and grabs me. I glance down and breathe a sigh of relief as I see we're nowhere near the tree line. I glance back up and notice that his face looks a little different without glasses. So it wasn't just the suit distracting me.

"Well, it's about time, Clark. Hurry up and get me on the ground before they get away."

Clark gapes like the stuffed fish on Perry's wall. "How.. how did...?"

Heh, now that's funny. The Man of Steel and quick retorts at a loss for words. I wonder how often I can get him like this. I almost wish I had a camera. "Air ball, Clark? You must have been a great basketball player."

Superman lets out a big sigh, followed by my name, as he sets me down on the ground. I stand and get my bearings, but lose my train of thought as I see something trailing smoke headed right towards us. I must have looked stunned, and I definitely feel stunned, because he repeats my name. I just point behind him. Superman turns, then shoots off into the sky, supposedly to intercept what I presume is a missile. There's an explosion a moment later, and now it's my turn to gape. I know he's strong and can fly, but I have no idea if this is something he can survive. No normal human could survive that, but as I'd told Clark soon after we met, he is definitely not normal.

I stagger up to the newsroom a little shellshocked. Perry intercepts me before I get very far, asking what happened.

Still stunned, I can only attempt to speak. "Before or after we got thrown out of the plane?" I shake myself out of it, and hope that my words were actually decipherable. I glance out the window. "Superman! Is he all right?"

Perry says something, but I hear the chime of the elevator behind me. I spin around, then run up and hug Clark. I'm so relieved, I can barely stand it, but a tiny quiet voice (that keeps repeating itself louder and louder) reminds me 'Secret! Keep secret! Play your part!'

I spin around and address the boggled newsroom. "If Clark's alive, that means Superman saved him and _he's_ alive!" I quickly head down to my desk to get started making phone calls. Henderson should get right on this, if I can get him to listen. I hear Clark follow me more slowly, then he pauses at my desk.

"Uh, Lois..." he stammers.

I glance up at him mid-dial. "Not right now, Clark. First, we have bad guys to stop and a story to write. Then we can have dinner at my place, and make sure you bring that Chinese you brought me before, and we'll talk." I figure we've got a lot to talk about, and it'll take awhile.

Especially if I can get him to take me flying.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited