Next Thread
Print Thread
#63560 05/14/09 02:56 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
FDK here.

Thanks.

Below is a taste of Story 4 - called 'Answer Quest'.

ETA - Name changed to So Many Questions

It is very early days for this fic - I'm hoping it will be ready in July.

It took considerable effort for Lois Lane to refrain from skipping as she walked home. Skipping like a five-year-old on her way to a party.

Skipping like someone whose heart was so full with anticipation, it couldn’t be contained.

Because ... tonight ... it was going to happen. Lois was sure of it.

Clark was going to propose. Ask her to be his wife.

That thought delivered a little skip to her feet before she could quell it.

She’d waited four weeks. Four weeks since she’d gone to Smallville and proposed to him. Four weeks of Clark courting her – there was no other way to describe it.

He’d brought her flowers, coffee, edible delicacies from around the world, little gifts – like a post card picture of the beach on Dirk Hartog Island – which had significance only to them.

And throughout it all, he’d found numerous ways – a touch, a smile, a look, a word - to convey the surety of his love for her.

Four weeks of their love deepening daily. Four weeks of ever-growing certainty that a life apart was not a life at all.

Four weeks of barely-contained impatience.

But tonight was the night.

Clark’s instructions had been cryptic ... and frustratingly lacking in detail.

She’d employed all of her investigative skills to try to wheedle information out of him. She’d even used tactics she wouldn’t use with any other interviewee – kissing him voraciously until neither of them could breathe, tickling him until they had both collapsed, helpless from laughter.

But he hadn’t budged.

She was to dress warmly, apply sunscreen and bring a pair of shorts and a comfortable tee.

That was it.

For a date in Metropolis in mid-November!

Lois skipped again. With any other man, it would be beyond cryptic, it would be unfathomable.

But Clark Kent was different.

Very different.

Lois hugged herself with bubbling excitement.

Suddenly, a strong arm reached from behind her, abruptly halting her progress. She was wrenched back against a body and forcibly dragged into the shadows of an alley.

Lois opened her mouth to scream, but her assailant’s other hand plugged her mouth before she could utter a sound.

She flailed, but he was strong and had her in a vice-like grip. He forced her to curl forward so his left hand could replace his right across her mouth. She felt him rummage in the bag she had slung across her shoulder.

Then, without warning or word, he released her and ran out of the alley and out of sight.

#63561 05/14/09 05:21 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
hail
hail
hail

You are the queen of "Awwwww!"

That was wonderful. Thank you for sharing this with us. And the final installment, the beginning of healing and commitment for both of them, was too WAFFy to be believed without actually reading it.

You must have a beautiful soul to write of love as you have. Bless you.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#63562 05/14/09 05:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Unbelievable. I can't even figure out what I want to say because you bowl me over with things like this:

“We could be Superman together.”
Eight years of reading and writing Superman stories, and I've just never heard it put like that. I'm burning all my paper tonight and throwing away my pens.

I usually have a short time window for comments, but please know that I'm reading and am in for the next one!
Ridiculously amazing ending.
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#63563 05/14/09 05:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow great ending. Very sweet, notworthy The next story looks angsty but you know I am there. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#63564 05/14/09 07:26 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
What a fabulous ending.

This story has been such a dramatic ride, so Lois and Clark taking the time to just be together and talk was so necessary. Their relationship suffered a major blow, but they're working on the foundation again.

I'm glad there's another story coming - the preview looked great!

I really enjoyed this story. Thanks!

Amber

#63565 05/15/09 06:16 AM
rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“We could be Superman together.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eight years of reading and writing Superman stories, and I've just never heard it put like that. I'm burning all my paper tonight and throwing away my pens.
I agree! This is exactly what every fanfic writer has been trying to say all these years.

thanks!

rkn
#63566 05/15/09 06:39 AM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
I was happy and sad to see the last post - wishing that the story wouldn't end, it was wonderful! And then i saw the preview...hmmm, you got me begging you for more, now! can't wait till July!

#63567 05/15/09 10:06 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is a great series of stories, FH. Keep it coming!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#63568 05/16/09 06:35 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great finale, Corrina clap

The ending was one big waff-fest. Loved the sun-rises and Clark wanting to propose himself is great.

/goes and makes note for next years' BNA Kerth nom./

Looking forward to story #4. And did I mention that preview is evil? Well, sort of. Just what did the thug hide?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#63569 05/17/09 12:34 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks everyone for your FDK.

Terry - Wow! Thank you. I thought the final part was just a bit of fluff - but I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

JD - Wow! again. The really enjoyable thing about FDK is when readers pick up lines/parts that didn't really stand out to me. The Superman together line was like that.

Thanks for your amazing FDK and saying you'll read Answer Quest.

Laura - Thanks for all your FDK. The next story does have some angst, but no death - at least not at this stage.

Amber - Thanks for reading and posting FDK. I'm glad you liked the ending and the preview. Stories 3,4 and 5 put pieces in place ... so I can get to Story 6.

Robin - Thanks! As I said above, that wasn't a line that stood out for me ... but I'm glad you liked it.

Sarah - Thanks for your encouragment. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Re the next story - I have a basic plot and two very rough scenes so far, so July is a best case scenario.

Artemis - Thanks so much.

Michael - Your FDK is much appreciated, Michael. Yep - it was WAFF and very little else ... but I'm glad you liked it.

Corrina.

#63570 05/17/09 01:07 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Awww!!!
Great ending!

Sweet, waffy, perfect!

Kathryn
#63571 05/17/09 11:43 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
First off, this is lovely. I’m glad you extended this to the extra chapter of reconciliation. I love the extended WAFFyness of this section. smile1

Bob

#63572 05/18/09 02:57 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Kathryn - Thanks so much for reading and posting FDK.

Bob - Thanks! I hope the end made up for some of the trauma in earlier parts.

Part of me wishes that Clark would have just gone ahead and said yes to Lois’s proposal. I worry about what opportunities for mischief may arise by the delay.
I had no evil intent - I just wanted to give Clark a chance to show some super-creativity - but now ... thanks for the idea!! laugh

Please don’t make us wait too long for the next story.
smile I'll post it as soon as it's ready ... but I can't see that happening before July. Currently I have two rough scenes, a lot of still-vague ideas and very little detail.

Corrina.

#63573 05/18/09 04:41 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Female Hawk:
... thanks for the idea!! laugh
Aargh! grumble

jump

Bob

#63574 05/19/09 01:57 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Bob

rotflol

#63575 09/22/11 06:24 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
So good!! smile Loved them chasing sunrises... *sigh* And can't wait to see how the proposal will work out! How will Clark top their flight around the world!! So hooked on this series!! smile

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#63576 09/22/11 03:04 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
LOL MozartMaid - last night I was editing 'Adrift' for the archive. I came to the boards and saw your FDK for the 2nd part! We were probably reading it together laugh

Thanks for letting me know you read and enjoyed it. The 4th in the series is called 'So Many Questions'. The fifth is half written, and I have plans to get back to it eventually.

Corrina.

#63577 09/22/11 03:07 PM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I can't believe I've never read this before now. So glad it was brought back to the top. I just read the whole thing. Once I started, I couldn't stop. Beautiful, heartbreaking, sweet, wonderful. Loved it.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#63578 10/21/11 05:14 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I am feeling dazed. I'm not entirely sure what to say, but I am going to try to gather my scattered thoughts.

This is an amazing story. I read the first two parts on the archive and enjoyed them. Then I went poking around the TOC to see what I could see, and I was pleased to find another part. I knew I would like it. I did not expect to be blown away.

Adrift has amazing depth and phenomenal clarity. The portrayal of Lois's grief and Sarah's explanation of it, the scene with the calves, even the argument when Clark tells Lois the truth about Superman, were so beautifully done that I found myself holding my breath through entire sections. And their reunion, which could have easily slipped into so much cotton candy, was honest while still being heartfelt.

Can I just worship at the altar of Female Hawk now, please?

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#63579 10/22/11 03:37 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Jackie - I was very lax in getting this series to the archive, so it was easy to miss. Thanks for finding it, reading it, and letting me know you enjoyed it.

Mrs Mosley - Thanks so much for your FDK - you've highlighted many of the things I'm most proud of about this fic. It will always be one of my favourites because death is such a difficult subject to write.

The fourth story 'So Many Questions' is on the boards. I've submitted both 'Adrift' and 'SMQ' to the archive, so they should be there soon.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard