Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hey guys...

Sorry. Last time I forgot its traditional for the writer to start the FDK topic.

I hope you are enjoying it!

MDL. laugh

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm glad that Lois persuaded Clark to allow her to come along, as is. However, I do think it's highly unlikely that a town the size of Smallville would have a direct flight from Metropolis. At best, there would be a puddle jumper connecting it with Kansas City or Wichita.

It's very Clark-like that he blames himself that he wasn't the one who fixed the gate.

I haven't finished reading, but I need to go for now.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good part so far. Very angsty! I want Jonathan to do well. But you know, in so many versions, Jonathan is "late". I hope that doesn't happen here.

Quibbles: I agree with the previous poster. Smallville couldn't have an airport that would handle jets. Clark would fly to Wichita or some other big city (if he were taking commercial air.)

Martha is painted well. I'm sorry that she's hurting so much.

And I'm glad that Lois came along. Will this help their relationship? And is there a revelation in the near future?

Please post more soon.

Columnist
Columnist
Hi MDL,

I enjoyed reading this part, though perhaps 'enjoy' isn't quite the right word.

I felt you portrayed the emotions of all the characters very well, but particularly Clark. Jonathan was a very special person in Clark's childhood and in his present life.

I always see Martha as being the one who Clark went to for love and assurance; she was the best mother he could have had.

I often feel, though, that Jonathan pales in her shadow, but I see Jonathan as young Clark's rock.

So, I'm hoping that Jonathan will pull through.

It's good that Lois is there for Clark, and, hopefully, this sad situation will bring Lois and Clark closer together.

Yours Jenni

G
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
G
Interesting 2nd part. Hopefully Jonathan pulls through. I know that Jonathan does die in most versions - but in the LnC world he is very much alive. (Gentle reminder)
Re: airport-in-Smallville thing? I guess that the most Smallville would have, would be a grass landing strip for those little planes that spray bug-stuff - um, do we really care about this? it *is* fiction.... wink
Lois really should have packed a bag though.

When Lois heard a sigh coming from Clark’s front seat she reached over the back seat and clasped his shoulder. While Rachel went on and on, trying to divert the topic to other mundane things, Lois knew better – Clark was all along worried and probably blaming himself for not being there at the time it all happened. How could he? If there was one person to blame that was her.
Lovely words. She definitely understands and loves him. smile

Looking forward to the next part.

Top Banana
Top Banana
MDL - This is an interesting premise. I'm interested in the family dynamics going on here.

I agree that Jonathan doesn't normally stand out like Martha does. But yes, he is a rock for Clark, and he is also a rock for Martha. So, now Martha doesn't have her rock (Jonathan) and Clark can't really lean on either of his parents, who are normally the rocks for him. And Lois has a chance to give Clark the support that he needs, which is a reversal for the two of them as well. Very interesting. thumbsup

I love how Clark is using his x-ray vision to check on his dad. And I find it interesting that he was willing to wait to travel with Lois. That says something, and she's already caught it.

As far as the transporation issue goes, if you're going to revise for the archives, someone flying from a big Eastern city to a small Midwestern town would have to do one of two things: fly direct to the closest major city and drive for two or three hours or more (which seems to be what they did in GGGOH) or take a connecting flight from the Midwest big city to the nearest smaller city and then drive an hour or two. I'm in northern Indiana. We have to drive to South Bend, then connect through Clevelend, Cincinnati, Detroit, or Chicago to get anywhere on either coast. However, you can get direct flights from South Bend to Orlando or Las Vegas. Go figure. smile Just FYI, though. Obviously not a big deal for the character stuff. Just one of those details that might feel a little off for a reader who knows small town life. Another little detail which might add even more to the tension of the airport scene is that if there were a flight and L & C missed it, the next one might have been the next day. If you miss the 5:30 p.m. flight from Cleveland to South Bend, you're stuck until 9:00 the next morning.

Looking forward to the next part. laugh

This *is* my happily ever after.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Very enjoyable. Or, well, not enjoyable-enjoyable, but... Um, yeah, they're great and the way Smallville is the support-infrastructure/grapevine laugh

Wonder what Lois will come up with next.

RE travel: Why didn't Clark offer Superman to take both him and Lois to Smallville, thus saving the travel-hassle?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi All,

thank you very much for all your comments. I will putting another part on shortly after this.

As far as flights are concerned, I guess all of you are right. I havent seen that question coming and I will consider the revision for archive purposes.

Please bare with this Brazilian writer that struggles a bit and had to find on the map where this Wichita place is anyway. blush

Technicalities appart, im happy you are enjoying it. It is not my intention to put any readers off, but details like connections and flights were really not considered and I apologize for that.

Hope we dont find anymore glitches around, but if we do, its good because at least I know people are paying close attention :p

Thanks for your feedback. Im thrilled about all the comments.

MDL.

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Top Banana
Top Banana
MDL - Please don't feel bad about the flights issue. It's such a picky little detail and it's no big deal *at all.* I figure it's the kind of thing that having all of us to give feedback just helps us all to catch. I'm sure if I tried to write a story set in South America I would make way worse mistakes than that!

There's an old American movie where a woman is spending the whole movie learning Spanish so she can visit her daughter in Brazil. Of course she feels really silly later to realize that Brazilians speak Portugese. blush

These kinds of little details pop up all the time, even between British and American cultures. Just last night I was reading an excellent story on the archives and I couldn't help but notice that one of the Americans searched high and low for the tea kettle and plugged it in. Americans don't generally use electric tea kettles; ours go on the stove. But how would a British writer know that little detail? (Unless they had someone picky like me reading their story here first wink )

It's also perfectly legitimate to just ignore those kinds of details if they interfere with your plot. The TV writers do it all the time. I cringe every time I see the Smart Kids episode because I am a licensed foster parent and I know that there is *no way* that Lois would have been able to take Amy home like she did on the show. But they needed her to for the plot, so they just completely ignored every child welfare law and procedure in order to make it happen. It's called creative license. So why can't you have any plane flights you want in your story? smile

Off to read part 3!

This *is* my happily ever after.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard