Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62544 04/10/09 03:20 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yes, I know, it's not really an end. The three stories will be combined into one when they go to the archives.

Just FYI, I'm probably about 80% done with the last story, Forward. I was hoping to post it next week, but I think I need to take the long weekend and let some things simmer, so it may be late next week or early the next before I'm happy with it.

Now, here is your golden opportunity: What questions/issues do you need to have resolved before you will feel like this series has a satisfying ending? I already know how I want it to end, but I don't want to leave you with loose threads hanging. So, either now or as we go through Forward, let me know what still needs wrapping up.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. When I started posting two weeks ago I had Foreshadowing 80% done, Flashback about 50%, and Forward not even started. You guys are great motivation.

This *is* my happily ever after.
#62545 04/10/09 04:19 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very nicely done. I enjoyed how Lois took charge of the Martha/Lois confrontation, and then again of the kryptonite situation.

I don't really have any issues that I'm waiting for resolution on; I am more sitting back and enjoying the ride.

The only thing I can think of isn't really an issue any more - it's more a moot point. But it seems to me that, if Lois and Clark are trying to re-create the past, then they would date and marry, just as they had originally done (sans the Luthor, Dan, Mason, & Dr. Deter distractions). 1) because if they don't and the date of the marriage, children's conceptions, etc. passes, then when Lois does go back she will have no family to go back to, and 2) because if Lois doesn't go back, perhaps she can re-do her life, and still end up with Clark and her kids. At least it would be worth a shot. huh

But, as I say, it's kind of a moot point, because Wells has arrived.

I'm looking forward to Forward! smile

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#62546 04/10/09 04:50 AM
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
Lovely story! The whole thing was great, with wonderful characterizations and dialogue. And I loved that Lois knew just how to handle Martha -- that was a delightful surprise (although in retrospect only to be expected). Her take charge attitude is just what you'd expect to see (and not so different from Martha after all; they're really kindred spirits).

One minor quibble: I don't really understand why future Lois's feelings for past Clark would be those of a friend or sibling. Future Clark's feelings for Past Lois didn't seem all that "brotherly" to me. I would think there would be more than a little attraction and perhaps even love between the two (not just on Clark's side), since they are all the same people with just different amounts of experience.

Put it another way: I've been with my partner for 18 years, 13 of which we've been married. I know if I could go back in time to when we were dating, say 15 years ago, my feelings for him would still be romantic, and not sisterly, given that he would really be the man I fell in love with even if he wouldn't (yet) be the man I've been married to for the past decade.

So I think there should be a bit more of a "charge" between FL & PC, coming from Lois, even though I agree that they shouldn't act on it.

Now, back to work for me. I don't mind that you're taking a break over Easter. Take your time! Maybe I'll get more accomplished without the temptation to keep obsessively checking this board every morning -- all due to you, lately. smile1

#62547 04/10/09 06:04 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hmmm....thinking out loud here about FL's feelings for PC. I've been married for 20 years. So, of course I thought about how I would feel if I met my hubby of 20 years ago. Maybe 20 years vs. 10 years is more of a difference. But my initial reaction was that I would find him cute, but immature. Sort of like meeting a much younger brother of his. Reminds me of him, but he's just not the same.

I'm thinking that there is some level of attraction on FL's part, but she's focused on getting home to her hubby. For her, pursuing anything with PC, or even acknowledging the attraction to herself, would feel like cheating on her hubby. I'm thinking of Lois and Alt-Clark, for example. So, maybe she is attracted, but she's not letting herself even think about it. She does keep falling into very affectionate patterns with him, though, which is part of what is driving him nuts. It's a really wierd situation for everyone.

I do agree that FC is more romantic toward PL, but that's because he doesn't know for most of the story that she *is* past Lois. Another case of mistaken identity. I think he's pretty embarassed now and not sure how to react to PL. We'll see more of that tension, for both couples, in the next story. You've got me thinking....

#62548 04/10/09 06:58 AM
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
But my initial reaction was that I would find him cute, but immature. Sort of like meeting a much younger brother of his. Reminds me of him, but he's just not the same.
Your reply is very interesting, but in the case of this story, I still think the two mismatched, mixed up couples' feelings of confusion etc wouldn't be the only ones they'd have toward each other, nor would the disparity between them cancel out the basic romantic attraction that would arise from simply being in proximity with each other, especially with the threat of permanent separation looming.

Or maybe my experience is just different. My partner has always been a very together sort of guy, and I don't recall him ever being that immature. The only difference I would say is that he was more unfocussed back then; he has more definite ideas now. (I think that applies to PC too; Lois was always the more immature one, and he always seemed, in this show, very together).

If I was able to interact with my hubbie as he was 15 years ago, I don't think I would be amused or affectionate; I would be more intrigued and interested. Plus we both suffer a bit from a middle-aged spread, and he was really hot back then (not that he isn't still now, but a younger version -- YUM) and so I would love to get my hands on him, likely ignoring any ethical quandries or future consequences.

But naturally that doesn't apply to L & C because Clark's physique is always perfect (of course!) and maybe as a couple they're above such physicality since their future is at stake. Yet a Clark suffering from unrequited love, with all that sweetness and hopeless longing (remember the end of the invisible man episode?) -- he is my favourite Clark. I just can't see a Lois who has been deeply in love with him for years (since the end of season one probably), and who has all that deep knowledge of who he really is (which still applies whether he is PC or FC) having sisterly feelings for such an amazing guy, or even being able to keep them separate in her mind all that easily. Just my two cents.

You should know, though, that even if you decide to keep FL & FC and PL & PC forever separated and living out their lives in platonic friendship, I'll still keep reading this story, no matter what (and avoiding any work that needs doing because of it). laugh

#62549 04/10/09 07:20 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hyper hyper
I posted before I read the other FDK. I agree with Betty that FL would have attraction to PC but wouldn't act on it. We've seen Lois here primarily from speach and actions. Maybe a paragraph of thoughts would round her character out by exploring her appreciation of the younger Clark. Her explanation to Martha of what FC was to her did a lot of that, but maybe a little visceral reaction to Clark wouldn't be inappropriate.
OTOH, 7 years of marriage isn't that long and they are still practically newlyweds. My experience is 47 years of marriage and things are different now. Still good, just different with different concerns.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#62550 04/10/09 10:49 AM
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I just had a chance to catch up on this story. I should have gone back and left feedback for every chapter, but I couldn't stop myself from going forward to read the next one. Sorry!

I loved this one as much as its predecessor. Maybe even more. There was something so endearing about Lois struggling with trying to be her younger self and failing.

I really enjoyed the Lois/Martha interaction here. I could completely see Martha being fiercely protective of Clark against FL. While I tend to think that having raised Clark, MnJ would be more open to time travel/dimension hopping type stuff, I don't see them blindly trusting such an outrageous story from a woman they don't know but clearly their son is unable to see objectively.

Lois' way of dealing with it wasn't what I expected (I kept expecting her to tell Martha about the k ahead of time - basically prove she was from the future by predicting the future), but it was pure take-charge Lois and I loved it.

Just a thought on the PC/FL feelings since I dealt with this in Triangle (a bit, since those were different universes and Clark was there a lot longer). I always took the alt-Clark episodes to show that Lois was somewhat attracted to alt-Clark (I can't recall where, but there's an almost-kiss in one of those, I think). She sees the difference, but can't help but be attracted to someone so like her husband. Things would be different here due to a bigger age difference, but I still see Lois as having something more than brotherly feelings for Clark. I do, though, see that she wouldn't act on them. The differences are enough for her to remember that this Clark is not her husband.

(By the way, completely aside - congrats Artemis! 47 years is very impressive! I'm at 13 now so only dream of getting to where you are.)

The only thing I want to see is the same thing I wanted at the end of the last story (well, besides a generic "more", as I'll read whatever you write). After this story, it may not be quite as needed, but I'm still curious to see how PL and PC cope when they are switched back. I imagine FL/FC have a couple of days of talking about the experience/adjusting, but it doesn't effect them too much (depending on changes to the timeline). The same just can't be true for PC/PL, though.

Of course, maybe you aren't planning to switch them back? You're not planning that, are you?

#62551 04/10/09 10:52 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I loved how Lois handled Martha!

My question is, what took Wells so long, since he's the one with the time machine? smile

#62552 04/10/09 11:05 AM
F
Blogger
Blogger
F
Lois really likes to take charge, does´nt she?

Very nicely written story, I can not wait for H.G. Wells to clear all this mess up. It will be interesting, if everybody will get to keep their memories.

Fuzzy

#62553 04/10/09 12:26 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, I can see a consensus emerging here. I had decided that Lois is subconsciously attracted to PC (hence all the touching), and that she is aware of it at some level (hence being worried about her possible reaction to Miranda's perfume--I mean why would you be worried if you really thought of this guy as just a brother?) but that she hasn't allowed herself to really acknowledge it. I think she tries not to acknowledge it for Alt-Clark, either, but there is a slip with the near-kiss. Perhaps the line about loving him as a brother just needs to go. And maybe a more explicit acknowlegment of the tension wouldn't be amiss.

The question has been raised of why they wouldn't date if they are trying to re-create the past. I'm thinking that Lois is just trying to maintain the status quo until she can get the switch reversed, and, this early in Season 1 L & C were nowhere close to dating. You'll notice, though, that they were also not such good friends either, so she's not really maintaining the status quo, but she can't really help herself.

Stay tuned!

#62554 04/10/09 12:36 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, after I posted, I realized the same thing - that this is early season 1, about a year before they even began to think about dating. So, yeah, they aren't anywhere near that point. And, of course, Lois hopes she never gets that far, as she is anxious to go back home.

It was just their conversation that got me thinking about it - Clark saying he will stay her friend indefinitely and Lois saying she only thinks of him as a brother/friend. It seemed like they were saying that if, theoretically, she remained there, they would stay friends forever, and never attempt to "re-create" the romance/dating/marriage/children.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#62555 04/10/09 04:53 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nice Smallville scene. I did like the "putting dishes away" trick. My first thought was for Lois to tell Martha something like a family secret but with Martha already so suspicious, she would have probably figured that Lois had researched her also. Something very personal like where she puts her dishes was a good idea.

I still think that both Martha and Jonathan came across a little too skeptical of Lois. I guess I just can't get past the idea that they would give her the benefit of the doubt based on Clark's support.

As for the FL and PC relationship, I see it as FL just refusing to acknowledge the attraction that is there. I would think that she REALLY misses FC and at some level she knows that this IS Clark. I think she is trying very hard not to be too attracted to him but deep down she is.

Bob

#62556 04/11/09 11:33 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh this was so great. I think Lois felt more at home in Smallville than she did in Metropolis. Wonder how Herb is going to untangle this mess laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#62557 04/14/09 11:34 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I shall vote first and feedback next. I believe that if I were transported back in time sixteen years to when I first met James I wouldn't be as attracted to him as I am now. As Happy already said, he was so immature back then. I love him now; I liked him then. We look back at our lives together and laugh at all of the things we've been through. PC wouldn't be able to laugh with her. As she said at the press conference, he really was such an inexperienced babe when it came to Superman. That doesn't mean she isn't attracted to him, but it isn't the same way that she feels about her husband.

As for the feedback, I loved the dishwasher routine, particularly since I wasn't sure she was trying to convince Martha of anything. It was equally possible that she really did have a bunch of nervous energy after a day filled with being unintentionally snubbed by some of her closest friends, pretending to not know them.

I could just imagine Martha's explanation to Jonathan, though. "She's really who she says she is, dear. She knows where we keep our pickle forks."

Elisabeth

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard