FDK here.

Thanks.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Yes! This was a very, very sweet ending! clap

I loved how you wrote Lois's reaction to Superman. And her reaction when Clark was alive! clap clap blush

But, as that knock on the door testifies, things will get interrupted before they get out of hand, so those who long for some nfic will be unrewarded. Personally I'm more interested in seeing him bare his soul - that is, his secret identity - than his body to her at this point.

Well, thank you very much for this sweet fic, Corinna! clap

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, it's great! (Different from when I beta'd it - and even better.)

You've got the whole blooming romance thing down just right. Excellent action scenes. It's great to see Lex Luthor get his comeuppance.

Marvelous bits:
“Who knew there could be an alien and also knew about Luthor?”

Clark caught his breath and slowed his galloping heartbeat. “What common factor?” he asked, doing his best to sound oblivious.

Hodge,” she stated. “Franklin Hodge. I think he knew there *was* an alien in the Sewells’ spaceship and somehow he found him and got him here.”
Lois, you're right there....just a little bit off...look a little harder...
Good misdirection!

“Lois?”

“Yeah.”

“He is so different that even though he says he has come to help, there are going to be people who don’t trust him, people who allow his differences to feed their fears.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that if you believe he really is one of the good guys, maybe you … we … all of us at the Planet should encourage people to give him a chance.”

“By not focusing on his differences, but focusing on how he uses those differences?”

Clark nodded.
The whole Superman raison d'etre in a nutshell.

She lay still and let her mind work through each astonishing revelations.

Lex Luthor was a criminal. A murderer, a kidnapper, a drug dealer.

An alien – possibly the Sewells’ alien - had come to Metropolis. He could fly and wore an out-there suit.

Clark could kiss. Boy, could he kiss.
Tee-hee! I love that Clark's kissing is on an equal level with the downfall of a billionaire and alien First Contact.

Sarah Crawford smiled weakly at Lois. “Do you have any problems with a secret identity?” she asked.
Tee-hee again! A little foreshadowing here?

And the teaser - all I can say is, you better post that fic soon, girl!

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
YAY!

Very nice.

But May?!

You best get back here before then!

Carol

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
Thank goodness you posted 7 after 6! I had stopped breathing for a moment there. I loved the story! loved it! and the preview, wow! but may, that's such a long time away :-p

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful tale. One of the best restarts to the saga I've ever read.

I assume we are going to see more of Hodge as an ally in the next tale?

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, what great ending. Sign me up for "Adrift"!!
What a teaser!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I concur. This is an excellent retelling of their original meeting. And it followed the previous story set in Smallville quite logically. I find it natural that Lois would feel closer to Clark than to Superman, given their background and shared experiences in this universe.

It seems to me that Lois has opened up to Clark a bit faster than I would have expected, but I suppose that a Smallville experience like she had would open her up to more human contact and human interaction. I doubt she would have accepted Sarah's "secret identity" before she met Clark, nor would she have allowed herself to become real friends with her. Clark's good for her, and she's good for him.

As for the buttons - well, we'll just have to see who's knocking on the door, won't we? Jimmy, with some research results which can't wait? Lucy, with a new boyfriend? Martha, with a recipe even Lois can't mess up? Ellen, with a new complaint about Sam? Tempus, with yet another dastardly scheme to keep them apart? H. G. Wells, needing their help with another desperate attempt to foil Tempus? Zara, with a highly formal proposal?

I'm probably way off. But that's okay. It makes my reading interesting. Hope to read it sooner than later!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
FDK! Thank you.

Ann - I'm so glad you enjoyed the ending. Thanks for your very generous FDK.

My initial motivation for this series of stories was to play with the idea of Lois being closer to Clark than to Superman right from the start. The only way that could happen was for LnC to have something established before Lois ever laid eyes on the man in the suit.

Iolanthe

(Different from when I beta'd it - and even better.)
That's partly due to the great suggestions and ideas you gave me!

Thanks for the FDK ... and for being a wonderful BR.

Carol - Thanks - glad you liked it.

Sarah - I couldn't find a good place to cut it - word length wise and story wise - so thought I'd post them together - basically as 1 part, but split due to size.

Thanks for your FDK - glad you liked it.

Framework4 - Thanks.

All I'm saying is this - we haven't seen the last of Franklin Hodge.

Artemis - Glad you liked the ending and the tease!

Terry - I agree that Lois opened up to Clark pretty quickly. I emphasised the 'country charm' of Smallville and Hodge's disillusionment with his single-track lifestyle ... and of course, the well-documented attractions of Clark Kent, but it was still quick.

The reason for the haste is that the story I really want to write is way down the track and I didn't want to spend too long getting there.

So many great ideas about who's behind that door! My only comment is that one of your ideas is the idea I thought would be obvious to everyone.

To everyone who said May is too long to wait - I really appreciate your interest and encouragement.

The truth is I promised last September to make a banner for a friend of mine. I now have a 7 day deadline and the banner is barely started. blush

So ... no more writing fanfic until that is done - not to mention a few other aspects of RL that haven't had much attention lately!

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Sometimes it's nice to read something that is a bit more straight forward. There was plenty of action and danger, and of course, a bit of romance. But this fic was shy of that overwhelming angst that can sometimes take over.

It was refreshing that there were no hurt feelings because of some misunderstanding, or thoughtless action. Lois and Clark just progressed somewhat naturally based on their previous experiences.

Neither are quite sure of what is going to happen, but they haven't placed a bunch of road blocks in the way yet either.

We'll have to wait and see what happens next.

Fun fic. Looking forward to more.

Tank (who can appreciate angst as well as the next guy but sometimes enjoys a fic where things can follow an easier path... relationship-wise)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Boy, tease is right!!! Bad!

I loved this story and I love your somewhat uncomplicted Lois. I can't wait until Lois FINALLY gets a clue about Clark =Superman.

Wonderful job, truly wonderful.

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So many great ideas about who's behind that door! My only comment is that one of your ideas is the idea I thought would be obvious to everyone.
Strangely enough, my first idea for who was at the door was Henderson looking for Clark/Superman. I can imagine his reaction at Clark's state of undress (unless he does a little judicious button fastening.)
cool
Artemis

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Artemis:
Strangely enough, my first idea for who was at the door was Henderson looking for Clark/Superman. I can imagine his reaction at Clark's state of undress (unless he does a little judicious button fastening.)
cool
Artemis
May I suggest that if Henderson turned up to Lois's apartment after midnight looking for Clark, he should not be at all surprised by Clark's state of undress?! laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So true, but what a scene to enjoy!
cool
Artemis thumbsup

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I like this alternate beginning...it's nice to see Lois like Clark first.

I'm glad that it's looking like Lois will have a friend in Sarah Crawford. This Lois seems like she could both use and be a friend.

This story was great, but it's a good thing you already have another part in the works so we don't have to start bugging you for it!

Looking forward to the next part!
Amber

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok, liked the ending on First Days in Metropolis.

I am very concerned about the opening of Adrift.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my Clark Kent to be more on the traditional side of waiting until marriage.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is just *SO* good! I love the continuation of this alternate-origins story.

I believe you have a wonderful new take on how Clark could come to Metropolis and how their relationship develops. I like your balance between the A and B plots. You have created plenty of A-plot and the relationship aspects fit in very naturally. thumbsup

I will be waiting anxiously for the next major chapter of your story.

Bob

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Tank - Thanks for your comments. I was aware that relationship-wise, these first two fics were considerably smoother than many LnC stories.

I hoped people would still enjoy them, even without huge doses of angst.

So your comments were particularly appreciated.

Bellarata - Thanks a lot. Throughout posting this fic, I really enjoyed your enthusiastic FDK.

Artemis - LOL

Amber - I'm glad you like Sarah Crawford. She'll be back!

You'll have the next fic as soon as I can manage it, but it's still a long way from presentable.

Mister Data - James - Thanks for your FDK.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my Clark Kent to be more on the traditional side of waiting until marriage.
I agree, but I hoped it would be obvious that the knock on the door would abruptly finish whatever had been started.

Bob - Thanks Bob. You were one of the people who encouraged me to continue beyond Weekend in Smallville, so I'm glad it didn't disappoint.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a great story, I can wait for the next one in May.

Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I loved this story just as much as the first one! thumbsup

Now I'm anxiously waiting the third in the series; I can't wait to see what comes next.

I love this version of L&C's world you have created. More, please. dance

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard