Next Thread
Print Thread
#60464 01/29/09 09:09 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
FDK here. This shoudl be interesting. smile

This being so different for me, I'm particularly interested in FDK.

Bob

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
oh that was great! Wonderful insight to the mind of Lex Luthor.

I don't like him much either . thumbsup

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Kerth
Kerth
Oooooo! clap I love it!

Lex's mind is a dark and scary place, but I found myself enjoying the trip since "Mr. Smith" reassured me that he wasn't going to change history.

I especially loved this:
It’s staggering to think that so much hinges on one woman changing her mind.
lol It's the little things, isn't it?

Hats off to Bob (and Clark Kent XXI)!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Kerth
Kerth
A little sadistic by CK standards, but I suppose he can be forgiven a little annoyance considering the family history.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful tale.

I do have something I'd like you to think about. My mother has Althimzer's.

When my father was in the CCU a couple of years back we found that we could not let my mohter visit him because while she would forget what was happening the bad mood it engendered would last for hours after she'd forgotten.

Perhaps Lex's mood would be altered just a bit and he would decide to kill Superman PRIOR to the wedding.

Perhaps your historian will return to an altered future.

Framework4
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Very interesting Bob...

And for the altered future... then Clark Kent XXI would cease to exist... he could also have made Lexxie annoyed enough to torture Superman by leaving the key just out of reach... thus ensuring the future...

Sara "Lieta"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Interesting and well-written.

Indeed, history thwarted Lex's plans. To some extent, it was Lois who did it. This is a great quote from your vignette:

It's staggering to think that so much hinges on one woman changing her mind.
Staggering, indeed.

However, I've started to think, more and more, that it is not the unique dictators and crime lords who cause the worst of the misery and suffering in the world. It is, instead, their many supporters. The people backing them up. The believers.

A few, a very few, make horrible things happen with little support. However, those who have few supporters can't keep on doing their ill deeds very long. Because of their lack of supporters, they will be taken down before long.

It is the tsunami of support of the enthusiastic followers that propels the tyrants into a position from which they can keep wreaking havoc.

Think of Luthor. There is Nigel S:t John backing him up, and Mrs Cox. More importantly, though, all of Metropolis was backing him up, more or less. All of New Troy. Who doubted him? Who questioned him? Everyone flocked to the New Orchid Ball. People happily or greedily accepted his money. They believed in him. Practically everyone did, not just Lois. What would he have been without them?

And what would Hitler have been without his enthusiastic supporters?

[Linked Image]

Of course, if you take down Luthor or Hitler, the enthusiastic supporters lose their focus of adoration. The tsunami that would drown everything in its path collapses for lack of energy, and the horrible threat is avoided. That is an extremely good thing, to be sure.

But sometimes I think we focus too much on the bad leaders and crime lords and too little on their supporters and enablers.

Ann

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I feel like there’s so much more to say. This started out as a simple “get Lex” piece. The idea I had in mind was to get Lex on his best day ever. I also wanted to do something that would not break series continuity.

As to what happened in the story, imagine that you had to interview someone like Lex who is a historic family adversary. Clark 21st had to sit and listen while Lex outlined his plans for his great…grandparents. He let his anger get the better of him. He really is a good person, just not quite as good at containing his temper as Clark 1st.

Bellarata: I’m glad you enjoyed this.

Sue: Thanks for the feedback and I’m happy that you liked it. I suspect that I it will be some time before I try to get inside Lex’s thoughts again. I’m convinced that if Lois HAD married him and stuck by him when he was arrested, he would never have taken the leap.

Marcus: Yes. I struggled with that. In fact, during the evolution of this story I was worried about the way Clark 21 would seem. At one point, I rewrote this as a “Lex evil muse” with no other person present and no “get Lex” moment. I’m not entirely convinced that I made the right choice in going ahead with it the way I did. However, there were a few things that I wanted to achieve and this approach seemed better than anything else I could develop. Neither I nor Clark 21 are sadistic. (at least I hope not) Thanks for the feedback.

Framework4: I was very sensitive about the time line. The entire idea of having *anyone* interact with Lex would carry some risk. I tried to make the point that this period had been studies for just such a possibility with extraordinary care. That’s what the time cops were doing for those 50 years before the mission was authorized.

Lieta: The future is safe. Those are really good memory erasers!

Ann: As I said above, in my mind Lois’s rejection was the real key to Lex’s ultimate defeat. If she would have supported him, I believe he would have carried on. I agree on your point that those leaders who do evil are only successful with the support of others. No single individual, no matter how evil, could do much without support.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback. Developing this was an interesting and educational experience.

Bob

Top Banana
Top Banana
I told ya they'd like it clap

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You know, bobbart, speaking of how politicians, dictators, et al get people to follow them, and what brings them down:

Reminds me of a quote by Mark Twain which I can't remember all the way right now. It was something to the effect that "The biggest weapon we have against politicians is laughter."

Basically, if you make fun of them, if you mock them, they are ruined.

I guess H.C. Andersen pointed that out in "The Emperor's New Clothes."

Of course, up to this point, who actually confronted Lex on his evilness? Who belled the cat? Who pointed out the Lex-Emperor had no clothes? In fact, who would dare to do so without evidence?

So your story is curiously satisfying, to see Lex finally get his comeuppance.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
The absence of discernment here is poignant. Knowing the difference between good and evil, he decides there is a thrill to doing evil. Chilling!

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes Chilling is a good word for it. Excellent is another. Great job!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Features Writer
Features Writer
Loved it!!! I am particularly interested in anything about Lex and his points of view.

CKs appearance was a shock but wow... what a nice one.

Keep them coming smile

MDL.

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Dandello: Yes, but this one still leaves me jumpy.

IolantheAlies: One person laughing is never enough. It’s only when everyone agrees that the Emperor has no clothes that the illusion is broken. Thanks for reading.

Elisabeth: As I said at the beginning, Lex is a very bad person. I really do see him with as little morals as he is depicted here.

Laurach: Thank you for the complement and I’m glad you enjoyed it. This one was really outside my comfort zone.

MDL: Thanks. I was wondering if the identity of Mr. Smith was obvious.

Thanks everyone for the FDK. smile

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Creepy, but well done.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ooh, what a delightful portrayal of a psychopathic mind. clap Absolutely delightful. evil Lex's plans for Lois had been extremely well put together. The lad is such a prankster laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
James: Yes, the mind of Lex is a very creepy place. It was an interesting (and somewhat disturbing) exercise to try to visualize his plans for Lois.

Michael: Thanks. You may convince me that this was a worthwhile exercise. As for Lex, he just wants to enjoy the simple pleasures in life.

Thanks guys. smile

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This story begs to be read and re-read which I have done over the years. It captures perfectly the low and evil mind of a pure sociopath. Kudos to Clark's young descendant for keeping his composure while 'interviewing' a man who did not have respect or compassion for anyone but himself. Bob, you have caught the essence of the character created by John Shea, who in my mind is the best actor's portrayal of a very unlovely person indeed.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard