C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
FDK goes here smile .

Next scheduled post:
Thursday - if I have school, either before 9 or after 4 ET. If no school, 10-noon ET but I won't know until later tonight.

Chapter 24 Preview
~*~Clark~*~

I stared at her in disbelief. "What?"

She gestured wildly as she whispered. "We have to make sure we – they – make Christopher. We have to make *sure* I get pregnant," she hissed at me.

"And *how* exactly do you plan on doing that?" I asked her.
Thanks smile .
Carol

Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh my. *covers face* You do NOT want to know what popped into my head at that last bit. No, no, not at all.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Karen, I'm not sure but I'm afraid you were thinking long the same lines as I was huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
Kerth
Well, only one way to make sure they *make* Christopher that night, isn't there? devil Only... I can't see Clark go through with it. Or will he, knowing his happiness and the life of his son depends on it?

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It wouldn't work for future Clark to have sex with past Lois. It may get her pregnant, but it wouldn't give Clark the dreams he kept mentioning in "On the Other Hand."

And then, even when Christopher DOES look like Clark, Clark wouldn't have ANY REAL REASON to believe Christopher is his son.

My guess is future Lois and Clark are just going to make sure past Lois and Clark "get in the right position" so it will happen.

EDIT: Of course, maybe that wouldn't really matter. Clark would have married her in Latislan, regardless. And I argued in the "Other Hand" thread repeatedly, that it SHOULDN'T matter to Clark that he didn't think he was the biological father.
But Carol wrote it that as far as the "connection to Earth" issue, it DID matter to Clark. So shouldn't they give them the opportunity to realize that?

Oh, and I meant to say that I love Tempus. He thinks he's got everything figured out about how he can ruin their lives, one way or another. If he really wanted to ruin them he would:

(1)Not give them the opportunity to go back. Lois and Clark hate having to choose, but they also know their sons mean more to them then Ellen, Lucy and Dave, as much as the hate the fact that they may not survive. It's what Tempus gets for not having children. He doesn't understand that at all.

(2)Set the time machine so the could ONLY recreate the accident. The way he has it now, he's giving them the opportunity to change other things (even though he doesn't notice it).
I don't know if it will work, but it seems to be working so far.

That's the perfect protrayal of Tempus, though. He's always so cocky with his villainious plans that he doesn't see that Lois and Clark may find a way out.

L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Interesting point you left off at, =P

One problem I have with Tempus: If he truly destroyed the future then his existence would be destroyed. It doesn't matter if he would still be born because the Tempus who hated Utopia wouldn't exist. Therefore, the new Tempus wouldn't have reason to go back in time and the timeline would resurrect itself... but that's a problem with the canon portrayal of Tempus... if he really hated Utopia so much why didn't he just migrate to a more corrupt time period, ~.^

Sara "Lieta"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That may be true, Lieta. That's one of the reasons why Tempus is not NEARLY as smart as he thinks he is.

In ML's "No Place Like Home" she also has the theroy that he enjoys tormenting Lois and Clark more than the results of distopia.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Now we just have to make sure that we make Christopher," I told him.

His eyes widened. "What?"
Well I just did the sputter/cough/laugh thing, and yes, I may forget that I'm an adult and fall laughing on the floor later with some similar crudeness in my head, but for now I'm sure you have a game-plan that doesn't include what I think it could.

Nice parts. And I finally figured out what this reminds me of: just a couple of scenes in the 3rd Harry Potter movie...I love time travel and having to make sure the future goes the way it's supposed to.
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Thanks guys - quick note - I do have school tomorrow so it'll probably be after 4ET before I can post...

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, this is scary. I mean, you try to set history on the right course, but you have no idea whatsoever what you'll end up with. When I read generic science fiction about thirty years ago, I remember reading a short story about an expedition that had gone back in time about 600 million years to look at dinosaurs. They were not allowed to touch anything in the past, so they walked on some kind of planks suspended a foot or so off the ground. But one of the guys stumbled and put his foot down on the ground. Guess what? When they came back to their own time again, humanity was gone and the Earth was ruled by a race of intelligent, purplish blobs! And when the guy who had stumbled looked under his boot, he saw that he had squished a butterfly when he had stepped on the Earth of the past! By killing the butterfly he had eliminated humanity and replaced it with intelligent blobs!!!! eek eek eek

Anyway, I like the idea that it is Lois and Clark who make sure that Lois's college application reads 'Louis Lane', that the door to the cabin is unlocked, that there are a lot of extra blankets there etcetera.

(Hmmm. And I, too, wonder how Flois and Fclark can make sure that Plois and Pclark make Christopher that night. I can see that the younger Lois and Clark can be manipulated to have sex that night (oh, the interesting possibilities here!!! blush blush blush ), but how can we know that they are going to make Christopher? Isn't it every bit as likely that Plois would end up pregnant, but with another child than Christopher?)

Ann

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, there is a way for Pclark to remember Lois without the Fs puppeteering huh

Michael wink

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
SQUEEE!!!!

I have my laptop back!!!

Do you know how excited I am?!?!

Thanks for the fdk. Got stuff to do though so no time to respond properly but I am going to go post!

Thanks everyone!!!

Carol

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
waiting breathlessly....

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by TOC:
When I read generic science fiction about thirty years ago, I remember reading a short story about an expedition that had gone back in time about 600 million years to look at dinosaurs. They were not allowed to touch anything in the past, so they walked on some kind of planks suspended a foot or so off the ground. But one of the guys stumbled and put his foot down on the ground. Guess what? When they came back to their own time again, humanity was gone and the Earth was ruled by a race of intelligent, purplish blobs! And when the guy who had stumbled looked under his boot, he saw that he had squished a butterfly when he had stepped on the Earth of the past! By killing the butterfly he had eliminated humanity and replaced it with intelligent blobs!!!!
I think I read the same story. There are two I am thinking about:

"The Sound Of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury

and

"Brooklyn Project" by William Tenn.

The former, I think, has the butterfly bit. And I think it's the latter that has everyone turning into purple blobs. The former is scary and ominous; the latter is mordantly funny in a horrifying way.

Does anyone else remember these stories?

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard