Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I like all types of feedback, whether it is positive, or notes for improvement. wave

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/pops in right before bedtime/

Hi Beth! So great to see a new story smile Now I'll to the heretic bit: Good to see it's a weekly schedule. At least that way, I have a chance to keep up to date blush Real FDK should be here before you post part 2

Michael wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Very, very interesting... I can't wait to see where Kal'El grew up and how/when he got to Earth... obviously English isn't his first language but that doesn't mean he didn't end up somewhere on earth... or that he didn't grow up on Krypton or even New Krypton... also interesting that Lois managed to meet Martha and Jonathan! =) More, more!!

Sara "Lieta"
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Cool.

Let's see. Lois has adopted the Kents as her surrogate family. Apparently Lucy didn't go along with that, and it seems that Ellen knows about Lois' relationship with the world-famous sculptor who also bakes delicious apple pie (love that career path for Martha!) so she's "punishing" Lois for her "betrayal." And Kal-El isn't Clark Kent! I also wonder where he landed and what he's been doing.

Say, maybe he landed north and east of Jor-El's intended target. Maybe his first human language is the French as spoken in Quebec. Or maybe he landed in the Orient and isn't used to hearing or speaking English.

However you explain it, I'm certain it will be interesting. I'm going to follow this one for certain.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Great start and a very uniques story line. I am curious as to why Martha seemed distracted when Lois had called her.

'But come to think of it, it had been a while since she had talked to them. She had called maybe a week ago, but Martha had seemed very distracted about something, and finally asked Lois to call her back later.'

Did Clark just arrive and met up with Martha and Jonathan?
Definitely looking forward to the next part

robinson
C
CJ Offline
Blogger
Blogger
C
OK, I'm hooked! I have my speculations about where "Superman" has been, but I think I'll just let the story unfold.

Carolyn

CJ
Kerth
Kerth
Clark flew to earth as an adult - and learned English in a week or two?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Really exciting and interesting premise, Beth!

Looking forward to more,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
YAY!!!!

You posted!!!!

So when do I see more in my inbox?!?!?!

wink

I do still love this very much and can't wait for more!
Carol

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Beth, Nice start. thumbsup

Some interesting twists on the various relationships. Martha is Lois’s surrogate mom. So, who *is* Superman when he’s not wearing the suit? Speaking of the suit, who made it? And of course, what’s with the accent?

Is there going to be a Lois <-> Superman relationship with no “secret identity” triangle? I’m sure that’s been done but I’m not that widely read so I don’t recall reading LnC stories where that was not an aspect. This probably isn’t where you are going. (But it may be an interesting idea.) smile

Just idle musings. I’m looking forward to more.

Bob

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, wow! That's a very interesting start!

It's great that Lois got Martha and Jonathan as her 'surrogate parents' and mentors. Clark, on the other hand, is a recent arrival on the Earth? Or maybe he did arrive here as a child, but he grew up in a non-English-speaking country? (I find that a bit hard to believe, nonetheless. With Clark's excellent linguistic ability he should be able to and interested in learning English, the most important language on the Earth, quite quickly.)

There was a short paragraph in this first chapter that I found quite suggestive:

But come to think of it, it had been a while since she had talked to them. She had called maybe a week ago, but Martha had seemed very distracted about something, and finally asked Lois to call her back later.
A week ago Martha had seemed distracted, and she had asked Lois to call back later? Why? How about it was Clark who arrived on the Earth as an adult and landed in Smallville as he was 'supposed to'?

And so Clark learned to speak English in a week? Well, why not? A linguistic genius like him would speak English with exactly that amount of uncertainty after learning it for seven days.

Well, wow! I wonder what Clark's Earth name will be. Will Martha and Jonathan claim him after all and say that he is a distant relative of theirs? So will he be Clark Kent after all?

And now I really look forward to seeing Lois and Clark meet, both in Smallville and in Metropolis!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ooh, call me intrigued! I like this idea. Interesting that others have pointed out that maybe Clark went to Smallville as an adult, a week ago, and that's why Martha is distracted. I'm going to go out on a limb, though, and guess that even a linguistic phenom couldn't learn English quite that fast (he wouldn't have enough exposure to vocabulary), so maybe he's been around for a while. Or maybe he was sent from... somewhere... and prepped with some language training first. I wonder what happened in Smallville, though! Nice switch of that dialogue line to Lois. I can't wait to see where you go with this!

Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Thanks for all the great comments, everyone. I'm glad to see you're going to tune into this story.

And people seemed to manage to pick up on two of the clues about Superman's identity. There was at least one more in that passage that I can think of, though... wink

Anyway, we'll find out a lot more in the next chapter.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper

Very nice start, Beth.

I suspect it too, that Clark ended up on the farm. Although it would be a BIG coincidence so I wonder what Beth has really cooked up.

And about the language thing. Well, the NKers picked up on it just as quickly laugh

jump Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very interesting premise. I can't wait to see where this story is going. smile1

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard