Hello All wave

It's been some time since I last posted anything here and I felt it was time to come back to writing and giving my imagination some work out.

Apologies if you find this story repetitive. I think that being away for so much time may reflect on being updated or not on the many works of our prolific and talented writers. This story was BR-ed by Saskia who I can't thank enough for jumping right on it.

I dedicate this story to my friends Jenni Deb whose talent is beyond my understanding but within my total admiration & to Labrat who always nagged me for my odd MLTVs.

(Lab, I know your birthday is coming so accept this as my present for you)

Merry Christmas to All and happy birthday for me. laugh

:::::::::::The Dark Christmas::::::::::

The Christmas tree glowed in the dark living room with all the different sized packages around it. The air was laced with a mixed smell of roast and fruits as she poured the blackcurrant syrup on the smoking ham. She hummed a Christmas carol she had heard during the day and smiled, sipping on the fourth glass of her best wine.

Untying her apron and smoothing the creases out of her black dress, she looked around mentally checking for the final touches of her setting; the roast and glazing were finished, the table set, champagne cold and the clock – hands stated one hour after dinner time.

The candles she would light later. If anyone showed up.

She knew family was out of the question as her sister was out and about with some guy, blaming, of course, the heavy snow in California. ‘As if,’ she thought. If invited, her parents would make her Christmas worse than ever and so she relied on friends to make this one different. Unfortunately it looked like they all had other plans.

It was times like this that she could use a boyfriend – someone to spend some time with when you are not doing anything else; someone to be with on special occasions and on the ordinary as well. Gosh, how she hated Christmas! It reminded her of the things she never had and, although secretly, desperately longed for – family and love. Another year dining alone; another year with presents laid on the Christmas tree but none to be received; another year with a bunch of Christmas cards but none of its senders around her. Damn wine… it always made her realize the truth.

Deciding not to let herself down, she forced a smile. ‘It’s time to feel good about Christmas. You can do it, girl!’ she encouraged herself while dragging her body up from the sofa and clapping hands. ‘Good. What now?’ she asked, artificially filling herself with energy and enthusiasm.

At that very moment, the lights went off and the whole block was covered in darkness. ‘Great! What next?’ she looked up and demanded in sarcasm. She found her way through the darkness to the next window and opened it, hoping that there would be light coming from somewhere.

None. Complete darkness.

‘Right. Time for those candles, I guess,’ she mumbled tipsy while touching the couch trying to find her way back to the kitchen. Her eyes were adjusting a little to the darkness, but her feet were certainly not. She tripped on one of the small gifts left around the tree and yelled as her feet tangled on the wires of the lighting. A second later, she and the tree were down on the floor. Her body with the uncomfortable sensation of tree spikes all over.

‘Lois, are you all right?’ a voice in the dark asked while the man behind it helped her get up.

‘Clark? Clark?? What are you doing here?’ her voice showing not only her body was a bit lifted. ‘I’m fine. I’m fine,’ she continued. ‘It’s just this stupid wiring, stupid tree, stupid darkness… stupid Christmas!’ she grouched impatiently in a sudden turn of mood.

‘Here. Let me help you get to the couch,’ he placed his hand on her back, rushing her to a more comfortable position. ‘Do you have a flashlight anywhere here?’ he asked, trying to let go of her hand.

‘No. I left mine at work. Please stay here with me, Clark. I’m kind of scared of the dark.’ She shamefully held his hand tight. ‘I know… I know what you are going to say… that I don’t look like the type who gets scared of the dark but that’s exactly the kind of situation you would see me with my fellow baseball bat in hands. One can never be too prepared, you know? Clark?! What are you doing? Why are you still standing up? Sit down.’ She pulled him to sit on the couch. ‘Better. Even though I can’t see you, it doesn’t mean you have to be up there while I’m talking to you,’ she moaned half-heartedly.

They held hands in the dark quietly for a few seconds when silence was broken. ‘I’m cold,’ she said. Quickly he was back on his feet. ‘I will close the window,’ he offered, letting go of her hand.

‘No need. I think I left a throw here somewhere. She quickly patted the sofa for the fabric and pulled it up. ‘Here. It’s fine now.’ She rolled the fabric around her. ‘So, why are you here?’ she sounded recovered from all odds.

‘Smallville airport is closed down,’ he explained while sitting down. ‘I thought if I couldn’t make it there, I’d rather be here with you than stuck somewhere else waiting for it. The idea of burnt roast attracts me more, I guess,’ he teased and smiled when she squeezed his hand in protest.

Noticing his constant rushed tone, she posed the question, ‘Am I holding you from anything important or you are just afraid of trying my roast?’

He chuckled. ‘No, Lois. It’s just that I came to say a quick hello. I promised Perry that I’d also pass by his place tonight. Come on. Let go of this throw and walk me to the door. I think I dropped your present somewhere around here.’ His voice was still rushed.

He started propping himself up when she stopped him, grabbing his hand again. She sighed. ‘I wish you could stay.’

The moment she spoke it seemed like not the even the biggest Kryptonite rock found on earth would have crushed him down like her allure. Although he shouldn’t stay, he felt powerless to leave. Admitting defeat, he held both of her hands and kissed them softly. ‘I’m not going anywhere, Lois.’

His sharp vision helped him notice her grin while she whispered, ‘Funny…’

‘What?’ he replied on the same soft tone.

‘I have invited a whole bunch of people but…’ she hesitated.

‘But…’ He waited.

‘But… I don’t think I’d be as happy as I am now even if all of them showed up instead of you,’ she revealed mellowly. ‘Thanks for coming, Clark. It means a lot to me.’ Her fingers intertwined his.

From her pressed fingers, he could take her pulse. It was a bit accelerated and it made his rush a little faster as well. ‘I think you had too much wine, Lois. You sound like you have a heart,’ he joked, nervous and defensively.

‘True. I did have some wine…’ she hiccupped. ‘And for your information, I am capable of having feelings and I do have a heart.’

‘A bit ragged, uh?’ he brushed his fingers against hers apologetically.

‘A little… A lot,’ she confessed. ‘What is it with men and love, uh?’ she asked angered. ‘Is it too much to ask to have a boyfriend who doesn’t dump you for a scoop or one who doesn’t bring a whole building down because he doesn’t want you to work? What’s wrong with men these days? What’s wrong with me?’ she blew her nose on the fabric. ‘I know you think it’s the wine but it’s not. I’m fed up with it. I’m fed up with the whole thing… fed up of spending Christmas by myself… fed up with thinking worse of the opposite sex just because I am afraid my heart will be broken again.’ She hiccupped. ‘Is it to much to ask for a decent man, Clark?’

‘I guess not,’ he replied sympathetically. ‘And I guess the time is now – It’s Christmas… it’s time to ask Santa for what you wish the most.’ His joking voice lowered.

‘Have you made your wish list?’ she rubbed his hand, thanking him for the support.

‘I have been asking Santa for the same thing… I mean… I have been asking him for the same present for a few years.’ His uneasiness was gone and he settled comfortably on the couch next to her.

With his vision half adjusted to the darkness, he inclined his head over the top of the couch and watched her. Maybe sensing him, she completed, ‘Darkness is not so bad after all… It makes you say stuff you wouldn’t normally say face to face.’

They sat quietly using the darkness to reflect on their lives. Outside the snow fell lightly and Christmas carolers could be heard from over the back street.

‘So what is it?’ She hiccupped half way.

‘Uh?’ Lost in his thoughts, he tried to catch up with her.

‘What is it that you always ask Santa for?’ she repeated her question.

Clark took his time to answer the question. With his heart pounding in his chest and mixed feelings racing through his head, he decided to use the darkness to shield his embarrassment and to overcome his fears. He decided it was time to reveal his feelings once and for all. If miracles happened, if they did exist, he could use one now. Excitement rushed through his veins, pumping his blood fast around and filling his heart to fullness. Blushing in the dark, he sheepshily admitted, ‘You.’

There were no replies. Not even his acute hearing could detect anything after that. They sat side by side in the dark in complete silence still holding hands. With a sudden turn to worse on the weather, the snow started to thicken and as he sat closer to the window, he blocked most of the cold flakes that wet his back a bit but spared Lois. The Christmas carols could no longer be heard and the darkness intensified, leaving thoughts louder.

She remained silent. She was definitely taking her time and it was understandable. A couple of months ago, he confessed his love to her only to undo it a few days later with the most heartbreaking lie he could ever produce. Crossing his fingers was nowhere near redemption to what he had done, but he couldn’t at that point jeopardize their friendship. Neither could he spare it now. In desperation and thinking he could make something up on the spot, he added. ‘I mean… I have been asking Santa for a friend like you.’

*Stupid, stupid, stupid. That was really dumb.* He mentally kicked himself. ‘Lois? Are you…’ The lights interrupted his words leaving sounds to cheering neighbors. Christmas was finally back on!

In Lois’ house however, silence still reigned. The Christmas tree was bent to one side with most of its wiring on the floor. The small packages were all over the place and the little one he brought was nowhere to be found. His tension was eased when he looked at her. He produced a smile as he hummed ‘I Love you, Lois. Always have and always will.’

She didn't say a word and she didn't need to. He could remember many occasions when Lois looked stunning but this time she was just breathtaking. She looked so beautiful dressed in black, hair curled to her neck and soft make up on. She was sitting right opposite to him, cozily wrapped on the red fabric and sound asleep. He grinned, nodding to himself. Coming a bit closer, he kissed her forehead softly and untangled her fingers from his cape.

Superman finally propped himself up from the couch and closed the window. He then placed Clark’s present for Lois on her lap and unlocked all the door locks for appearances sake. He had come from the window but as Lois thought all that time she was talking to Clark, it was best not to leave any loose ends on his story. With a final affectionate gaze, Superman left the apartment by the door closing it behind him and using it as support.

'That was close,' he told himself. Reliving all the moments they had - when he tried to make her let go of his hand so he could change to normal clothes; the moment she grabbed his cape, making his heart skip a beat and leaving no escape; and the crucial moment when he finally voiced his feelings for her. Miracles did happen and lights were not back on until it had to. ‘Maybe next year, Santa,’ he sighed, looking up and leaving by the stairs.

:::::::::MDL::::::::::

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."