Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Oh dearie me! Is Lois going back into depression.. If she does, I just hope Clark realizes that, and not just wallow in his misery..

How much longer til 10...? :rolleyes:

Sarah,

Tempus: You want to know the future, Miss Lane? No one works, no one argues, there are 9,000 channels and nothing on!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm glad that at least Danielle didn't mean to snub Lois!

But I'm kind of surprised that no one in the family mentioned the part about "Clark Kent is *not* the father of Lois Kent's baby." They've of course decided to deny that part, but I'd like to know what their responses are, even if it's a simple "that's patently ridiculous." It would be worthwhile to see them squirm.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh dearie me! Is Lois going back into depression.. If she does, I just hope Clark realizes that, and not just wallow in his misery..
Well technically she's been in depression since Chris' birth. In one of the last chapters, Lois mentioned that she should be mindful of certain triggers to her depression. Sam's health or death may severely worsen it.

But before Clark can wrap his mind around the idea that he is going to be with Lois, he will have to redefine himself. He will have to say goodbye to Clark-who-promised-the-Heavens-that-he-would-always-be-faithful-to-Lana and accept that he is in fact Clark-who-has-already-been unfaithful-to-Lana-and-fathered-a-child-with-Lois. And he will have to embrace himself as Clark-who-loves-Lois.
In this story, I've always thought that although Clark signed the marriage certificate with Lois, he's been mentally married and committed to Lana. It is this commitment that makes him constantly wonder whether Lana will take him back after the 5-year mark. In his head, Clark believes he is being faithful to Lana (even if the circumstances are a bit unusual), so it is this behaviour that keeps him going.

Lois said it best that she only wants Clark to kiss her if he wants to kiss her. In other words, she doesn't want to be Lana's substitute. I agree with this sentiment. For the bond to break between Clark and Lana, two things could happen: (1) Lana could die, Clark would grieve, and they maybe open his eyes to what's been in front of him this whole time; or (2) Lana and Clark need a falling out. This falling out could be related to him being an alien and her not approving, or it could be that Lana told the media about Clark not being Chris' biological father.

It maybe just me, but I can't see Clark and Lois building a solid relationship foundation without dealing with the third wheel of their marriage, Lana.

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Okay - I'm going to try to do this justice... We'll see if I succeed wink .

Michael - As I mentioned earlier, both thinks the other put it there when in reality it was incidental - and it's not the pillow itself as much as it is what it represents - distance between them. Hehe - I loved the Ziva thing too.

Ann - awwww! Though I see you posted more later [complete with illustrations] so you must be coherent in a bit wink .

Michael [again] - you got the first 2 right, you're assuming Sam's heart attack isn't fatal if it's the 'Could Have Been Bad Thing' - you'll have to see on that one..

Grinch - hehe - at least you didn't have to wait between the others? The possibility that Christopher is Clark's son will come up in conversation at some point [and not when I'd planned either /sigh/ silly characters].

lovesuper - Don't know that song - may have to go find it...

Lara - kryptonite is a good guess smile , but no. You'll see...

Sara - they're withdrawing from each other - never a good thing when they need to be looking towards each other...

Ann [again] - see my note above about Clark's 'choice'.

Sara - you're right - it's easy to villianize Lana and that was one thing I didn't want. Yes, she's been petty and vindictive, but she's also an insecure 18 year old [probably 20 now] who had the rug that was her life's plan completely jerked out from underneath her. Thank you for finding quotes to help make that argument for me smile .

Framework - piano tossing... that could be fun wink .

JD - Very good points about commitment. As for Christmas... there's quite a bit that's going to happen before then - starting 'today'.

Ann - I know what you mean by unfaithful to Lana there, but I guess I still have a hard time thinking of it in those terms. While technically accurate, there was no intent and no conscious decision made and no *real* memory of the event [and I don't mean in the 'it just sort of *happened*' excuse sense]. They were hypothermic, near death, and it just happened. That made sense in my head...

Andreia - it's coming! Promise! The next post anyway - locked in the cabin? Not sure when they go back there actually...

Mish - it's coming!

Amy - yeah that was something I wanted to point out - she didn't mean to snub Lois. My thinking is that they don't believe the 'Clark isn't that Dad' thing given the 'source' of the claim [directly or indirectly, it's Navance because he's the one claiming to be the father whether he was the source of the leak or not].

Grinch - you're right there and that will be discussed again. That's a good point - there will have to be a falling out of some kind between them before Clark can ever think about moving on with Lois - if he does.

BBIAF to post...

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think that this has been the most frustrating "two steps back" slide, but I'm aware that it's probably because it is the most recent. I'm sure that I felt a similar frustration with the earlier slides as well. We were finally going somewhere! They were getting closer, enjoying the cuddle-age... and then bam. *sigh*

They keep *not talking* and I want to hit them both with a megaphone. It shouldn't have to wait until anniversary at the cabin to make some progress. They seem to be stuck in a game of Frogger and never making it across the street! Hop forward, hop back, hop back, hop forward.

I'm glad that we are seeing more of Christopher. It felt that for a while there we were only going to be told about him and miss his formative years. He'll be two soon and we don't have a handle on his personality. One of the things that amaze me about babies is that they are their own little people and you can tell that about them almost right away.

I agree with the comments about Clark's commitment to his commitment. I really think that it's one of the reasons he's holding on so hard to the Lana of his mind. She's done everything in her power to encourage (probably not the way she'd put it) him to move on, but he still holds out for the 'maybe she'll take me back' scenario. At this point, I'm not sure what it will take to make Clark mentally break the connection... Every time he does his AU step back, I lose hope that he ever will--and that he'll even be worthy of Lois and Christopher after he mentally lets Lana go. I realize that he's been a great father (the physical), and he's doing better about accepting his life and being happy (emotional), but the mental is a huge part of it all.

I'm concerned about Lois's depression--she isn't talking to anyone. Maybe she begins to talk to Clark (spec from the previews). She can't tell him everything that's going on in her head, but releasing some of those emotions could work like a pressure valve.

Great emotional parts! Here's to hoping that it's time for a few steps forward wink

~s

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ann - I know what you mean by unfaithful to Lana there, but I guess I still have a hard time thinking of it in those terms. While technically accurate, there was no intent and no conscious decision made and no *real* memory of the event [and I don't mean in the 'it just sort of *happened*' excuse sense]. They were hypothermic, near death, and it just happened. That made sense in my head...
I get it, Carol. Clark's intimacy with Lois was not a 'conscious choice', to speak Wendy-ish. But he was intimate with her, at least if Christopher is indeed his biological son, and I think he has been denying that possibility so adamantly because he just couldn't deal with the possibility that he had been unfaithful to Lana. I agree that Clark was completely blameless under the circumstances, but that's no real consolation if he had promised the Heavens to never, ever, ever have sex with any other woman than his childhood sweetheart, is it?

Ann

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
I think we're saying the same thing even if we may be coming at it slightly differently.

And yes - Clark may eventually need to deal with it...

Carol

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard