Pulitzer
C
FDK goes here smile .

Next scheduled post:
Sunday, Chapters 84 and 85, sometime after 3pm ET

Previews

Chapter 84
~*~Clark~*~

'Love isn't who you can live with, Clarkie, love is who you can't live without,' he'd have said. 'You can't live without that wife and son of yours so you best do whatever you have to to keep them safe.' Only Pop Pop had ever gotten away with calling me Clarkie – except Lana when she was trying to wheedle me into telling her something or into doing something for her.

I refused to dwell on the thought of life without Christopher, but eventually, Lois would have a much reduced role in my life. Whether Lana would be willing to take on a divorced guy with a son or not was still up for grabs.

What did it mean that I'd been able to live without Lana?
Chapter 85
~*~Lois~*~
"Lois?"

"Yeah?" I asked hesitantly. I doubted the media or anyone had this number – except, I groaned internally, the Daily Planet. Would anyone there have made the connection? Surely Billy and Serena would have.

"This is Serena." Yep. She had.

"Hi," I said quietly.

"I saw this story on the news yesterday," she said hesitantly.
Thanks smile .
Carol

L
Columnist
Columnist
L
My bet is anonymous = Lana... lets see if I'm right =P

Sara "Lieta"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow.. these 2... if it's not one thing it's the other. First a family death and now media frenzy!

Hmm, the anonymous source could be Lana or someone from Navance's camp, like his nephew. But the thing about Christopher not being his biological son could only mean Lana, since she's said it before that she didn't believe Clark's his father. Maybe she did it in some vegeful state and is now repentant... hence lack of gloating face... awaiting new developments. thumbsup

Okay... I am liking Clark a bit more. I might be wrong but based on how he's been reacting and the preview of the next chapter, it seems he's slowly wisening up to the reality of his life without Lana.

However that doesn't automatically imply that he'll want to develop his relationship with Lois, does it? In addition to other lunkheaded notions, it seems that he's absolutely positive that Lois would never want to be with him. :rolleyes:

thumbsup thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow, rough couple of chapters for Lois and Clark.

If the anonymous source isn't Lana, then it's mostly like one of Navance's people trying to make waves. My biggest suspect is Lana. I wonder if she showed up at the funeral just to see the fallout. I can't see her coming all the way back to Smallville for the funeral of a friend's grandfather unless she was up to something.

I wonder if Christopher started crying when Martha walked past him because of the Kryptonite. Hmmm, makes me wonder.

I've always thought that many members of the media were rather callous when it came to being sympathetic to others, but showing up at a funeral is just about as unfeeling as you can get. These poor people are greiving the loss of a loved one, and the reporters show up during the service! That's just cruel!

Well, at least it wasn't Jonathan that died.

~Mel~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you for not killing Jonathan, Carol. I don't like deaths (unless it was Lana's laugh ) but between Pop Pop and Jonathan, it was preferable Pop Pop. smile1 I hope he wants to repeat the experience from now on. [Linked Image]

The vision of Lois in front of the fireplace at the cabin came back to me.

I hadn't mentioned it to her. I hadn't told her – or asked her – about the remote possibility about us... together... that night...

If Christopher could be my son.

If it was even remotely possible, Christopher couldn’t get anywhere near that stuff.
Finally the idea is sinking in. clap I think deep down he knew all along that they made love at the cabin, but until now he was pushing it aside because of his obsession with Lana. He didn't want to think rationally about it and its implications. It was easier to dismiss it as a dream. Maybe after two years his brain is starting to work and it may lead him to find the truth. shock

Whether Lana would be willing to take on a divorced guy with a son or not was still up for grabs.

What did it mean that I'd been able to live without Lana?
He's back to would-Lana-take-me-back-after-five-years? Gah!!! I hope at least he knows the answer for last question. wallbash

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Loved it. And kept refreshing the boards until it came up dizzy

Glad (well, not glad but you know what I mean) that it was Pop Pop.

The kiss was so awwww

And then you dropped the K-bomb. And they figured it out. So, there is just one question, but that's probably because they're not up to form right now. But Martha carried the green stuff past the car and Chris became whiny just then. Nobody remarked on this huh

Wonder who tipped off the media laugh

And now that the Planet's very own Kents are part of the news, does this mean a talk with a certain editor is coming up?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I don't think it matters who said the baby was not Clark's son. The bad guys were bound to say it as they need to play up that it is Navance's son or they will get no traction with folks in the USA.

What I am looking forward to is all the news commentators who compare photos of Clark and Christopher and point out how Chris looks just like Clark.

They will be making fun of Navance's claim and showing side by side photos.

I expect some enterprising media type will get baby pictures of Clark to post side by side with Chris's photo.

I rather expect Martha will be showing off those baby Clark photos to everyone.

For several days Clark will have it rammed into him that Chris IS his son.

At some point someone is going to be wearing a bit of Kryptonite jewelry near Lois and Chris and Lois is going to have proof positive.

Also one can get a swab of Clark's DNA from his mouth no need to break the skin. So I bet some reporter will will grab a dirty glass or tissue and then one of Chris's dirty diapers and run the samples.

So Clark will be confronted with
  • Photos,
  • DNA and
  • Kryptonite.

Framework4
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
OK I think it could be Lana that told on them... but I have this feeling that it could be Jessica.. is it possible? hmmm... huh

Sarah,

Tempus: You want to know the future, Miss Lane? No one works, no one argues, there are 9,000 channels and nothing on!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
What is the meaning of life?

[Linked Image]

Where is the end of the universe?

[Linked Image]

Why are Carol's cliffhangers so evil?

[Linked Image]

Like many others, I was relived that it was Pop Pop who died. (Sorry, Pop Pop, I didn't mean it like that... but....)

And I loved how Lois took care of Clark and comforted him that night. And I loved their kiss. And I loved seeing Lois and Clark at the Smallville Corn Festival in a previous chapter, by the way. And I loved that Clark seemed ready to acknowledge the possibility that Christopher just might be his biological son.

But then there was the evil cliffhanger... grumble

However, like Patrick, I do think it shouldn't be hard to convince everybody that Christopher is Clark's son. I mean, everybody has remarked on how much Christopher resembles Clark. There is no way that can be just coincidence!

And Christopher started crying when he was near the Kryptonite... Carol, I'm sure you haven't told us many times before that Christopher has been crying.

AnKS commented on something that I think is worth repeating:

In addition to other lunkheaded notions, it seems that he's absolutely positive that Lois would never want to be with him.
No, Clark doesn't know that Lois is in love with him, does he? I've blamed and blamed and blamed Clark for his lunkheadedness, but Lois should open up to him a bit more and let him know that she is in love with him. She probably doesn't dare, because she fears that her pride and her self-esteem won't be able to take it. She is in love with Clark, and she admits it to herself, but he isn't in love with her, or at the very least he is nowhere near to admitting to himself that he probably is. I don't really blame Lois for shying away from confessing her feelings to Clark. I mean, how humiliating is it to admit to someone who don't love you that you love him? And the two of you have to stay together for - what? Three more years? - and how unbearable will those years be if he just wants to get away from you even though you have told him that you love him?

But even so, if Lois did tell Clark that she loves him, he would be forced to think more about his own feelings for Lois.

Ann

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
About the love thing. Wonder what it would take for them to start talking in their sleep evil

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, are we all agreed that Clark is a lunkhead?

How about this one as evidence that Lana isn't all the peaches and cream Clark thinks she is: As soon as she realized that Clark was going to stay loyal to Lois, at least physically, she started 'playing the field.' (The word I want to use isn't appropriate for a G-rated board.) And since she knows perfectly well where babies come from and how they get there, getting pregnant in the first place is so suspicious. eek

And Lana is about the only one around who would have called the media in Kansas rather than Metropolis.

Clark - wake up and smell the coffee!! grumble

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Kerth
Kerth
Well, all good points have already been made. The 'Chris-and-the-kryptonite' thing as it was (which is way beyond suspicous) as well as the media's anonymous tip and Lana's unexpected presence. So, there remains the question: Was it Lana? Or someone else?

Pro-Lana arguments are her behaviour after she knew Clark was married to Lois: Trying to seduce him, going home with Lois and Clark during spring break, cornering Lois beforehand, 'playing the field' and getting pregnant herself...

Of course, it might have been Navance and his evil goons - but would he have known about PopPop's death and the date of the service, much less in time? Does he even know where Smallville is? Besides, the wording of the anonymous tip sounds pretty much like the story Clark originally told Lana.

Contra-Lana: There is no contra-Lana. Period. I was going to mention Lana being accompanied by Tim, but, as a matter of fact, Tim is not mentioned in this part... So, maybe they broke up and now Lana is trying to break up Lois and Clark?

On another note: When will Lois and Clark tell each other about their 'dream' in the cabin? huh

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I breathed a big sigh of relief when I found out that it wasn't Jonathan, but by the end of the second chapter, I was sucking that sigh back in! These two posts were a rollercoaster ride in their own way. There were tender moments, heart wrenching events, and finally at the end downright scary stuff.

Kryptonite *plus* news crews? Man, that is just as evil of a cliffhanger as anything else has been thus far. I'm afraid that Anonymous' (aka Lana) tip will mean a DNA test is going to be requested at some point. I wonder how they will get past that one. I had all the proof I needed when Christopher cried as Martha walked past the car.

In Clark's current mindset (always thinking about life with Lana, if she'll take him back, how Lois is not her, etc), I don't see Lois being comfortable enough to willingly show her cards (aka feelings) first. Now, wouldn't it be interesting if she slipped...

Bring on tomorrow's posts! I'm ready!! (and on my to a OTOHA meeting)
~s

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
Top Banana
Top Banana
I did some research on paternity tests a while back and it's very possible that a paternity DNA test wouldn't pick up anything odd unless we're talking about some seriously weird issues with Clark's DNA (in which case it would be unlikely he could be Christopher's father.)

Paternity tests are very specific and compare specific sequences. No one will be trying to look at Clark's genome for anomalies. All that will be looked at are those specific areas and computers do the work.

Assuming Clark is Chris's father, chances are very good that a DNA test (assuming Clark's DNA can be used in a test in the first place - but again, if Clark is Chris's father, his DNA has to behave 'normally') wouldn't throw up any red flags.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I can see why a lot of people think Lana ratted Lois and Clark out, especially since she was at the funeral. I admit it is a possiblity. However, I don't really think she did. When I started reading this story, I was expecting Lana to blow her top when she

(1)Found out her boyfriend had female roommate.
(2)Found out what happened at the cabin.
(3)Found out Clark had to get married.

But, although she was upset all a of these, she didn't act irrationally, particularly for an 18 year old girl.
And contrary to what most readers expected, she DID NOT encourage Clark to have an affair with her once Lois and Clark got married, behoynd the first time Clark to her they were married. (And I think her emotions were understandable, in that situation.)
As for Tim, she thought Clark had betrayed her. What else was she supposed to do?

To conclude, although I don't want Clark with Lana, I don't think she's a bad person. And that means I don't think she told the media on Lois and Clark. (particularly considering she believes Christopher is Clark's baby.)

Who did?
Nanvace has a lot of resources and people working for him, so it could easily be one of them. We haven't seen Mindy in a while...?

I think it's nice that Lois and Clark were getting closer in these parts (because of Clark's loss), but it worries me.
It sounds to me like he's kissing her because she's there, she's a woman, and he's feeling low. It's realistic, especially giving the circumstances, but it's likely to give Lois a false sense of security. And Clark will withdraw again when he realizes what happened.

Of course, it's a good idea to look to the one you love for comfort, and it can be a bonding process, don't get me wrong. But I don't see that happenening here.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, I love the bonding! Sometimes it takes a crappy situation to make you realize who's there for you, and who you need. Thank God it wasn't Jonathan's demise, and I'm so glad Lois has been able to be there for Clark. It's what family does, and it's way past time they started acting like it, no matter how long they think they're going to be together. What's our L&C motto, it's the moments, not the minutes that count...

'Love isn't who you can live with, Clarkie, love is who you can't live without,
and this is probably one of the most thought-provoking lines of the week for me.
Great parts!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Sara K M said:

I can see why a lot of people think Lana ratted Lois and Clark out, especially since she was at the funeral. I admit it is a possiblity. However, I don't really think she did. When I started reading this story, I was expecting Lana to blow her top when she

(1)Found out her boyfriend had female roommate.
(2)Found out what happened at the cabin.
(3)Found out Clark had to get married.

But, although she was upset all a of these, she didn't act irrationally, particularly for an 18 year old girl.
And contrary to what most readers expected, she DID NOT encourage Clark to have an affair with her once Lois and Clark got married, behoynd the first time Clark to her they were married. (And I think her emotions were understandable, in that situation.)
As for Tim, she thought Clark had betrayed her. What else was she supposed to do?

To conclude, although I don't want Clark with Lana, I don't think she's a bad person.
I think Sara is right that Lana hasn't proved herself to be a horrible person, assuming it wasn't her who told the media about Lois, Clark and Christopher. (But in view of the fact that Clark once told Lana that he was in fact not Christopher's father, it might indeed be Lana who chose to bring that tidbit to the media.)

Let's assume, for the moment, that it wasn't Lana who tipped off the media. Does that mean she has proved herself to be the sort of person who deserves Clark's eternal and undying love?

I don't think she has. I think she has done several things to suggest that she is in fact a spiteful person. Lois, on the other hand(!), has shown herself to be altruistic and caring on several occasions.

At my school we have a highly simplified version of Geoffrey Chaucer's The Wife of Bath's Tale. Here Chaucer uses the wife of Bath to tell the story of a knight, who has violated a woman and who has therefore been sentenced to death. However, the Queen intervenes on his behalf. He will have one year and one day to find out what a woman wants more than anything, and if he can come up with the right answer, his life will be saved.

The knight travels far and wide, asking everyone he meets what a woman wants more than anything, but none of the answers he receives sounds just right to him. Finally, on the very last day, he asks a very ugly woman he finds by the side of the road. She tells him that, yes, she knows the right answer, but she won't tell him unless he gives her a solemn oath that in return he will do the first thing ske asks him to do. In desperation, he agrees.

The knight returns to the Queen, accompanied by the ugly old woman, and he gives the Queen the right answer: A woman wants her husband to obey her. That is what she wants more than anything. [/flow of narrative] Okay, okay, you don't have to agree with the knight and the old woman![flow of narrative] The Queen agrees, and everybody cheers. The knight found the right answer!

However, now the ugly old woman demands her reward. In return for saving the knight's life, she now demands that he marries her! And since that was the first thing she asked him to do, he will have to obey her and marry her! After all, he gave her his solemn, knightly oath that he would!

The knight is understandably heartbroken. What healthy young man wants to marry an old hag like that? But he gave her his oath, and he has no choice but to obey.

On his wedding night, the knight was so heartbroken that he might have killed himself, if suicide hadn't beeen regarded as one of the most nefarious sins in existence and therefore unthinkable for a noble knight. But his ugly old wife started talking with him.

"Dear husband," she said. "Why are you so depressed? Don't you believe that I am a good person?

"Yes, I do," said the knight.

"So what's wrong? Why are you so unhappy that you had to marry me?"

"You are not... beautiful," the knight reluctantly admitted.

"My dear husband," she said. "Don't you know that beauty is a fleeting thing? Even if you had married the most beautiful woman in the world, her beauty would have faded soon. Beauty fades, but goodness remains. I am a good person. Do you not believe that my goodness will make you happy?"

"Yes," said the knight. "I believe you."

And as soon as he had said that, his ugly old wife changed into the most beautiful woman in the world, because she was a fairy, and she made herself beautiful for him, when he believed her.

Okay, that was the end of the Wife of Bath's Tale! Now think of Clark's unhappy marriage to Lois and his pining for his childhood love, Lana. Why does Clark love Lana so much? What has she done to deserve it? Is she actually a good person?

I don't think Carol has shown us any sort of proof at all that Lana is a good person. Carol has, on the other hand, shown us a lot of evidence that Lana is somewhat spiteful. So why does Clark love her? Is it just because of her looks?

[Linked Image]

I think Clark loves Lana because of her blond good looks. Possibly more than that, however, he loves her because of all the love he has invested in her and his commitment to her. I think that's it, he loves his own commitment to her (and her commitment to him, the way it used to be). But what if she is a not-so-good girl whose beauty will fade, and only her spite will remain?

I think that Lois, on the other hand, has shown herself to be a good person. And Clark is already married to her, to boot. So Clark, wake up and smell the coffee!

Ann

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
OK I've just read it again (yes I do that, don't tell me I'm the only one!) and I remembered some things that might benefit them..

Since Clark is powerless, and the news is out that little Chrissie is 'not his son' they can do a DNA test and nothing would come back that Clark isn't human, because DUH! he is sorta human at this point.. and the fact maybe the media will do some picture things where they compare, and that would make our little lunkhead take notice that he actually does look like him, and that people aren't saying that just to say it.

Plus when Martha went to hide the Kryptonite, he cried that says a lot to me in my opinion...

and I still think it could be someone other than Lana, there could be a possibility that it's someone else.. I really think it could be Jessica.. is that a no no?

Sarah,

Tempus: You want to know the future, Miss Lane? No one works, no one argues, there are 9,000 channels and nothing on!
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, it could have been Sam after all. Carol denied that Sam was a baddy when I first mentioned it during their flight home from Latislan, but think about it. He had Mindy working for him, and she tried to get Lois away form his bad influence. And he kept pushing Lois and Clark together, basically ordering them to go out and to the cabin and stuff. And besides, he's rich and that means he's bad laugh

Michael

Columnist
Columnist
Hi Carol,

I think all the 'points' have been made on who went to the media, but I did have a small thought - could Lana have spoken to someone when she was devastated by Clark's betrayal? But then I wonder, if anyone else did know, why wait this long to leak the news?

Perhaps it is just Navance's people wanting to cause trouble, and they would say that Christopher wasn't Clark's child.

I'm glad that Clark turned to Lois when he lost his Pop Pop, and that Lois knew exactly how to comfort him, but why, oh why did he take that large step backwards and wonder if Lana would take him back after the five years are up.

I really hate those retrograde steps, and feel like screaming at Clark!

Of course, if it is discovered that Lana leaked the information about Christopher, albeit inadvertently, which he'd told her in private, maybe he would finally see that Lana is seriously flawed. She might not be a bad person, but moving on with her life the way she did, and letting Clark know about it, seems a little devious to me.

Looking forward to the next part.
Yours Jenni

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard