Here is part 3.

Cris

NOTHING BUT A LUTHOR ON THE WAY, PART 3

Lex Luthor had barely been able to sleep. For the first time in months, maybe even years, something other than his affairs had kept him awake, though he didn't mind. If a year earlier someone had asked him if there was anything that could turn him into a more powerful man, he would have doubtlessly answered no. Later, however, after Superman's appearance, he had believed kryptonite was the only thing he needed. Just last night, he had realized how wrong he had been. He had seen Superman overcome all sorts of physical turmoil; traditional means had had no effect on him and, so far, not even kryptonite had led to the desired consequences. Who would have thought that the great hero's Achilles heel was not to be sought in the physical sense?

During the hours that had followed his discovery, Lex had contemplated the different possibilities in which he could make use of the info. At first, he'd been driven to tell the world how untrustworthy their worshipped hero was; how he'd been deceiving them, hiding out as a regular guy right in Metropolis. The lack of proof, however, had prevented that from happening. <<And just my luck that it did, >> Luthor thought. After all, if the secret became general knowledge, what benefit would he obtain? He would have lost the power it gave him over Superman; that was something he wasn't willing to share with the world. Besides, what would the chances of Lois ever having any kind of relationship with Clark Kent be after he, Lex, had revealed the secret to her? It would certainly make her see her beloved hero <<And partner, >> he reminded himself, under a new perspective. A perspective he, Lex Luthor, found too tempting to avoid. Satisfaction flowing through every inch of his body, he softly whispered, &#8220;Today's definitely bound to be a brighter day.&#8221;

Lex was still lost in his musings when he heard the door of his office creak as someone pushed it open

&#8220;Good morning, Mr. Luthor,&#8221; said Nigel, his voice bearing the usual politeness.

Try as he may, it seemed nothing could keep a smile from showing on his face, nor a cheerful tone in his reply, &#8220;Good morning to you too, Nigel&#8221;

&#8220;What is it I sense, sir? An extreme feeling of happiness, maybe? May I ask why that would be?&#8221; If there was one thing he'd learned in the time he had been in Lex Luthor's service was that he rarely wore smiles when business turned out successfully; for him, that was a given. A smile, coming from Luthor, always meant an especially relevant achievement, for it only was with challenges that his pride was fed. He'd behave like a hunter, smiling at the sight of his prey, gloating and enjoying, not the victory, but the adversary's defeat.

&#8220;Why wouldn't I be, Nigel? Just yesterday Lois decided that she would marry me, though we both knew that was only a matter of time. It did, however, happen faster than expected.&#8221; He stopped long enough for Nigel to give him a questioning look, expectant of what he knew was to come, and then continued. &#8220;What would you say a man in my position would need to have even more power? We both know I have the money and the means to reach whatever it is I require in order to achieve as many goals as I set for myself. And, to tell you the truth, life was getting a little boring. But a year ago I was finally faced with a new challenge; a power that, in many ways, has not leveled my own, yet in others it's proved stronger.&#8221;

Growing more curious by the minute as to where Luthor was heading with his verboseness, Nigel said, &#8220;Superman, I believe.&#8221;

&#8220;The name in itself is so powerful, arrogant I dare say. He is the one thing that could make me more powerful.&#8221;

&#8220;May I remind you, sir, that we have unsuccessfully tried both bringing him to our side and, at his denial, defeating him?&#8221;

&#8220;Nigel, Nigel, Nigel. You have to have faith! I actually couldn't have planned it better myself. But who would have thought? I've spent the last year of my life searching for an avenue, any, that could bring that goody-two-shoes down. I truly believed kryptonite would work; yet he found his way around it. But, as fate would have it, I stumbled on a solution where I least expected it. What I'm about to share with you, Nigel, is to be kept quiet, for if it were known, we'd lose all power over Superman.&#8221; At that he stopped, expectantly waiting for a reaction from the other man. As little as the idea of letting him in on the secret appealed to him, he was certain he couldn't find the proof he needed without his cooperation. After all, Nigel was the best he knew when it came to undercover assignments.

&#8220;I believe I have proved myself worthy of your trust, Mr. Luthor,&#8221; responded an intrigued Nigel.

Satisfied with the answer, Luthor proceeded with his explanation, &#8220;Stand to be stunned then, Nigel. Last night, I managed to have the almighty Man of Steel pay me a visit. It turned out to be rather funny. You see, he tends to behave around me like the powerful man he believes himself to me, so high and mighty. He always chooses his words with great care, yet last night I'm sure he had a slight slip of the tongue. Though he didn't realize it, he addressed me in a way he had before.&#8221;

&#8220;I'm sorry, Mr. Luthor, but I'm not sure I'm following you. How is that supposed to make you more powerful?&#8221;

&#8220;He HAD talked to me in that very same way, but in a totally different guise. Last night he was dressed in that flashy outfit of his, but he'd also done it the day before, in a charcoal suit... and a pair of glasses.&#8221; After giving the other man a few seconds to take in all the information, he went on, &#8220;Superman leads an ordinary life as mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent.&#8221;

If Nigel was surprised by the revelation, he didn't let it show. He adopted his usual professional pose and eyed Luthor suspiciously. &#8220;I take it you haven't called me in just to share your new found knowledge, have you? &#8220;

&#8220;You're right, Nigel. Look, I believe I've really hit on something here. If this piece of information is true, I have all I need to bring him down. But I want proof to back up my theory the kind of proof that will lead to the definitive break-up between Lois and her past. I have waited too long for something like this and I want to avoid making any mistakes at all costs. And I trust no one but you for this task.&#8221;

Though not feeling his old optimistic self yet, Clark woke up the following morning with renewed determination. He had always known the kind of person Lex Luthor was, that hadn't changed, but now time wasn't on his side. If he wanted to uncover Luthor in order to prevent Lois from marrying him, he only had six days. If only he could have Lois by his side... This was the kind of story she would pursue without hesitation until she found the answers she'd been searching for. But he couldn't count on her for this, so if he was really going to get any work done, he had to get going. Perry had called again earlier and he should be at his place in a matter of minutes. Discussing everything with his old boss would surely get them both back on track.

He looked around at the mess his apartment had become and decided to put in it some order. Despite Perry being a friend, he didn't want the older man to know how desperate he'd really been. He felt embarrassed at the mere thought of his behavior throughout the last few days. He rushed through the apartment at superspeed and, when he was done, he stepped in the shower. As he finished getting dressed, he heard the doorbell ring, announcing Perry's arrival. Climbing the steps to the entrance, he reached for the knob and opened the door to let his former boss in. After a brief moment of hesitation on both sides, they greeted each other with a hug.

&#8220;Hey, son!&#8221; Perry said. &#8220;How are you doing?&#8221;

Clark tried his best to look convincing, &#8220;I'm dong fine, Perry. How's retired life?&#8221;

On his way to the couch, Perry stopped momentarily, considering his answer before he actually voiced it. &#8220;Well, it's fun. Yes, I have the time to do all the things I wasn't able to for the last thirty years. I fish, I read, I watch TV; I doze off whenever I feel like it...&#8221; His voice trailed off long enough for Clark to break in.

&#8220; That bad, ah?&#8221; he said, with a grin.

&#8220;Let's just say I've realized the joys of retirement weren't made for me. I miss the stress and the excitement of my newsroom; the smell of fresh ink as it's being splashed on the empty pages... What the hell! I miss my life!&#8221;

Clark gave him an acknowledging smile. He knew exactly what his old boss was talking about because it was what he'd been feeling ever since the fire at the Planet. He, for one thing, had had too many changes in his life before he'd finally settled down in Metropolis; he didn't want things to change, not when he finally felt like he belonged. For the first time, he'd found a satisfying life, surrounded by people he appreciated, and he didn't want to give it up. << Which is what I've been about to do, >> he thought, finally realizing how silly he'd been behaving. &#8220;You're right, chief. I miss my life too. And...&#8221; Clark hesitated, unsure as to whether sharing his concerns about Luthor with Perry was the right thing to do. He knew he wasn't exactly fond of Luthor either, not after everything that had happened with the Planet, but he had been editor of one of the greatest newspapers in the world for nearly two decades; he would demand proof, a proof he couldn't offer... yet.

Before he could give it further thought, he heard the old man demanding, &#8220;Come on, Kent; spill it. I know something's troubling you.&#8221;

&#8220;Well, it's kind of hard to explain,&#8221; he began, indecisively. &#8220;I think... no, I know there is more to what happened at the Planet than what we've been told.&#8221;

&#8220; I knew it!&#8221; Perry exclaimed.

&#8220;I know, chief, I...&#8221; Suddenly, Perry's reaction sank in. &#8220; What?&#8221;

Matter of factly, Perry spoke, &#8220;I've been bragging on about this over the last few weeks; Alice even threaten to have me sleeping on the couch if I didn't stop. She kept saying she couldn't believe even after it had fallen, the Planet was still the most important thing to me. But I was sure I wasn't the only one with these feelings.&#8221; Excited as he hadn't been in months, he went on, &#8220;So, what have we got?&#8221;

Clark paused briefly, considering what he should say first. If he started by telling Perry that he lacked proof to back up his suspicions, he might not even listen to what he had to say. He couldn't lose Perry's support too; he'd assumed he couldn't have Lois's help on this, but he wasn't willing to do without Perry as well. &#8220;I believe I know who's behind the mess our lives have become. It would take a lot of power to set the destruction of the Planet up and then incriminate an innocent person. There are few people who could have. I... nailed it down to one man.&#8221;

Perry had begun pacing Clark's living room nervously, staring at the younger man all the while. &#8220;If you keep going around in circles, son, you're going to dig yourself a hole. Just say it!&#8221;

If he wanted the plain truth, that was what he'd give him. &#8220;Ok. You're right; I should go straight to the point. If the Planet is out of the picture, it's all due to the whim of Lex Luthor.&#8221; The lack of surprise on Perry's face encouraged him to go on explaining his suspicions, even if there was little to explain. The look on the older man's face, however, changed slightly as Clark's speech reached its end. Clark knew exactly what his boss was about to say.

The excitement he'd shown before gone, Perry addressed Clark in his understanding yet demanding boss pose, &#8220;Clark, son, you know I don't like that Luthor either but, are you sure of all this? I mean, maybe you're letting a bit of... er... jealousy rule you.&#8221;

&#8220;Agh! Why does everybody keep saying that? Come on, chief. It's hard enough not being able to count on Lois for this; you can't doubt me, too!&#8221; He couldn't believe it. How unprofessional did they all think he was? First Lois, now Perry. Wasn't anybody going to trust him? He too was a reporter; he'd thought he'd proved his credibility throughout the last year. His reporter instincts weren't all that often mistaken. <<If only it was just my instincts...>> he thought as he remembered all his encounters with Luthor as Superman.

Perry had to admit that, in all the years he'd worked as editor at the Daily Planet, he'd never seen two reporters with instincts as reliable as Lois and Clark's. Those insights had led them to cracking a great number of cases which had turned into front-page exclusives for the Planet. As hurt as Clark seemed to be, he was right; he deserved some confidence from his boss. <<Ex-boss, >> he sadly reminded himself. &#8220;Ok, whatever you say. But we have to get going; we can't just speculate; we need facts.&#8221; After a brief pause, he continued, &#8220;We'd better keep Lois out of this. We mustn't tell her anything until we're certain, understood? I don't want her hurt if I can't prove a thing.&#8221; He turned to face Clark again and saw his embarrassed look. &#8220;What? Don't tell me you've...&#8221;

Sheepishly, Clark replied, &#8220;It's a little late for that. I... When she told me she was considering marrying that... that... creep, I couldn't help myself. I didn't give her a detailed explanation, but I made my opinion about Luthor very clear. The truth is... we had quite an argument. But it's understandable, isn't it? I mean, she's my best friend. I swear hurting her is the last thing I want; I've tried to avoid it... She's too important for... to be treated like a mere possession. She deserves more...&#8221; Without realizing it, Clark had bared his soul. He hadn't used the L-word, but he knew there wasn't a need; that was Perry listening.

A half grin appeared on Perry's face. &#8220;And you think she'd be better off with you?&#8221;

&#8220;I didn't say that. It's just that...&#8221; He had actually hinted it, hadn't he?

Now openly laughing, the older man spoke again, &#8220;Easy, boy. I know she'd be better with you. Maybe you just have to show her.&#8221;

Clark was smiling too. &#8220;Does it come with maturity? My mom said pretty much the same thing. I just wish I knew how to do that.&#8221;

&#8220;I'll tell you what. Why don't we go out for lunch, my treat, and try to figure out where we can start in order to bring Luthor down, alright?&#8221;

Clark's only reply was a nod.

Not too far on Clinton Street, a beggar watched the two reporters leaving the younger man's apartment. As hard as it'd be to tell, his ragged clothes and dirty looks hid a refined English man, a former spy. He felt like in the old days, running after the big state secrets. It brought back an excitement long forgotten. So far he'd found out that Perry White was in town, which was in itself an interesting fact, given his supposed retirement. What those two were up to, however, whether it was just a mere encounter between two friends or not, wasn't his business. Careful that no one was watching, he moved towards the alley besides Kent's house. This would be piece of cake.

After sleeping little, Lois was still musing over her latest decisions, and somehow that drove her to thinking about her previous failures. She knew she had every reason to be happy, after all, not many women could claim to be engaged to a man whose power matched Lex's. Lex loved her and he had assured her he'd do everything he could to please her. Yes, it definitely should be one of the happiest days in her life... only it wasn't. There was no way she could feel happy and accepting it was irritating.

She looked at the familiar surroundings, the empty apartment, staring at every corner of it, at every single detail that decorated it, until her eyes gazed down on a picture. A picture of her and Clark, taken a couple of months earlier. She would never dare admit it to anyone, but the truth was that Clark, despite her efforts against it, had been able to break through the defenses she'd built up. She had promised herself long ago that no one was ever going to have enough power over her as to hurt her; that she'd never trust again. Yet, somehow, Clark had made his way into her life, into her heart, and had become the most important person she had around, apart from Lex, that was. He'd been her confidant, her support, though she had never let him know that. He had been by her side since they'd met. <<Except now, >> she thought. When she'd been trying to make the most important decision up to the day, he had walked out on her; he'd told her he didn't share her views, that he didn't think she was making the right choices, and he had put Lex, the person she claimed to love, down. And all that infuriated her.

As unsure as she was of most things nowadays, there was one she was certain of. She felt the need to prove him, and whoever else doubted her, the correctness of her choices; that she was old enough to see through people and to judge what was good for her and what wasn't. She was determined to carry this through; she wasn't going to back down. <<Not this time, >> she thought. She'd made a firm commitment and though she only had six days to go before the wedding, Lois Lane had never been known to run from a challenge. She would have Clark's support before the wedding; she'd prove him wrong.

At some point, she'd considered calling him; she had even picked up the receiver a couple of times intending to dial his number. She wanted him there that day; she needed him there, because that's what friends did, showed up when they were needed the most, offering their support. << And I'm going to be needing you, Clark. Why can't you see that? >> But she hadn't called, and she hadn't because she knew he would never attend the event. If she as much as mentioned it, even casually, they would end up arguing again, and it'd be an argument that would only hurt them more, that would only hurt her more. She didn't need that; she'd have to do this without him. Being honest with herself, she wasn't sure in what state that would leave their friendship or whatever their relationship had come to be.

Instead of phoning Clark, she'd ended up talking to her mother. Never the enthusiastic kind, Ellen Lane had offered her support, a response far from any Lois could have imagined. She'd even offered to help her with all the arrangements. Of course, she had told her it wasn't necessary; somehow, Lex seemed to be pulling the required strings to have everything ready on time, even to the point of having the dressmaker come over to her apartment to start measuring and designing her wedding dress.

She walked towards the couch before staring once again at her surroundings. It was enough to get her thoughts drifting again. This apartment had been a witness to most of her professional achievements; to the awards, the exclusives, the front-page by-lines... But, also, to the mistakes and the loneliness that distinguished her social life. She couldn't really talk about a love life. Besides Paul and Claude, there hadn't been much more than a few casual dates, with little or no implication on her side.

For years, she'd behaved dismissing the importance of having someone at her side, certain that she was all she really needed. Now, however, she had Lex. <<Lex. >> She wondered how married life would affect her. Surely, Lex's power, his influence, would have repercussions for her. In becoming Mrs. Luthor, she'd be entering the city's high society; she'd take part in circles where, because of her work in the reporting field, she'd gained a few enemies throughout the years. The prospect was slightly frightening, not for having to face those people, but because she felt that, if things got out of hand, she'd be confronting the risk of losing her independence. She couldn't let that happen. Silently, she vowed to herself that she'd never be turned into just a Mrs. Luthor; that she'd never stop being Lois Lane. All of her life, she'd only had one thing to hold on, and that was her own self, nothing more, yet nothing less. She had betrayed her beliefs before, but she would never do it again, not for a man, not for anyone. Lois Lane was who she was, who she'd always been. And any man that claimed to love her would have to either learn to accept that or step out of her way. With a wry smile, she mused, <<Great, now I even babble-think.>>

Suddenly, a noise startled her, breaking her chain of thought. It didn't take her long to realize what it was. Scooting herself to the other end of the couch, she reached for the phone and held it up to her ear.

&#8220;Hello?&#8221; When no answer came, she called a second time, &#8220;Hello?&#8221; After a few second of nothing, she put the phone back in its place. << What is it with big cities and wrong numbers? >>

From his favorite spot, almost able to grasp the Metropolitan sky, Lex intently stared at his cell phone. He'd been so tempted to tell her everything, yet he'd hung up. Patience wasn't a distinctive trait of his, but just for that one time it had better be. Nigel had assured him he'd deliver the information requested as briefly as possible and he, for some unknown reason, trusted him. He'd wait though, hopefully, it wouldn't have to be much longer.

END OF PART THREE

"If I have to let go of my dreams;
become someone I never, never thought I'd be...
If that's love, then I want no part.'

IF THAT'S LOVE, performed by Laura Pausini.

Cris