C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Terry -

Excellent, as always.

I'm not entirely sure I followed the B39 stuff, except that I think they have synthetic K or something [that's probably due to lack of sleep rather than lack of information in the segment wink ].

Clark did the right thing by asking Lois if it was okay with her if they went, but even though Robin kissed him, I'm not sure he gets it. And whether he gets it or not... My feeling is that this is one of those times where he doesn't have to get it, he just has to get it. He may not understand, but this is one instance where he has to believe Lois when she says it's important enough to her to be making pro and con lists about him and if it's that important to her, then maybe he should just do what she needs him to whether he understands or not.

[I'm not sure that came out right but... wink ].

More soon please. Still not sure how you're going to wrap this up in 2 parts...

Carol

#55437 09/25/08 03:31 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This has the feeling of a tragedy waiting to happen... eek

He was shocked for a moment, then he put his hands on her shoulders and slowly pushed her away. “I don’t think Lois would like you doing that, Robin.”
Why couldn't he say: "I don't like you doing that"? The way he puts it, Robin's twisted mind is going to see Lois as the only impediment between them. help

On the edge of my seat waiting next part.

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#55438 09/25/08 06:37 AM
J
jwb Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
And she leaned down and kissed him.

He was shocked for a moment, then he put his hands on her shoulders and slowly pushed her away. “I don’t think Lois would like you doing that, Robin.”
And there was the biggest mistake ever. It shouldn't have been "I don't think Lois..." it should have been "I don't like...."

--
Jeff
#55439 09/25/08 08:27 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Don't have time to say anything intelligent this time, Terry. wink

But I agree with the others that this has the feeling of a tragedy. A Greek tragedy, or a Shakespearian tragedy. In those, the hero was often a good man who, nevertheless, had some sort of flaw. (Don't we all?) But this hero's flaw is exposed to just the sort of situation or temptation that it, and he, can't deal with. And so he falls. Have you seen the Disney movie, Hercules? There is a scene there where Phil, Hercules' coach, taps the heel of a statue of Achilles, and the statue promptly shatters into a million tiny little pieces.

I don't think Clark will be as thoroughly undone in this fic as the Achilles statue was in Hercules. But the situation is serious and ominous. So let me come up with one more literary comparison for you fic, Terry: I guess Robin might be Clark's Achilles heel.

And not only does your story feel like a tragedy waiting to happen, but is also has the breathless feeling of a thriller. And it is excellently written as always.

Ann

#55440 09/25/08 03:10 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
oh, yes... definitely a great story
worthy of many accolades

and while I'm ashamed of my low level of knowledge into Greek tragedies, I would definitely rate the themes expressed here as being comparable to a Shakespearian play-(I'm tossing up between comedy and tragedy for the genre... this depending on the ending which according to scholars does not need humour, just a happy or sad conclusion) angel-devil confused

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#55441 09/25/08 05:47 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Yeah, Clark really stepped in the brown applesauce when he didn't tell Robin that he didn't want her to kiss him. I was so hoping that wasn't too subtle, but I can't slip anything past y'all! And doesn't she pack a punch?

Like I wrote earlier, Barbara (love your sig, by the way), the ending will be a resolution, just not necessarily a happy one. And I really like all the classical allusions in the feedback! It makes me feel like a real writer (especially since I didn't have any of those allusions in mind - at least, not consciously) when I wrote this.

Look for the next chapter on Monday.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#55442 09/25/08 08:02 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ok... so you know I'm tragically addicted to this story... however, first I have to bring up a terminology issue which really bugged me with this part..

Or, we could change the way the southern ice cap is shifting and not cool off the air it would have cooled because we’ve moved so much ice so quickly.
Southern ice cap. That's a northern hemisphere terminology for the Arctic, it is not used for the Antarctic region, and I can't believe Clark would be that naive.
I think perhaps you were intending the Antarctic Ice Pack? Or the Antarctic Ice Sheet, although neither make much sense with the "shifting" description. The Antarctic Ice Sheet sits atop the continent of Antarctica... even Superman would be hard pressed to 'shift' it. The Ice Packs however do grow and contract over time... again, I wouldn't read this as 'shifting'...
I dunno... it just didn't make much sense to me (admittedly I haven't done antarctic glaciology since university some 15 years ago, but still)

Aside from that... as I said.. enjoying the story..
I'm intrigued by the 'cage' (?) that was built to hold Superman. Sounds scary... but I think Lois should be taking Robin for a casual walk down into it, pushing her in, lock it up and throw away the key...
I'm glad she's got the kryptonite on her now... but I worry about whether she can get to it fast enough...

It is pretty obvious Robin's intentions are to 'have' Clark. And yet the lunkhead still doesn't see it!!! Men... honestly... they can be so stupid sometimes. Anyone got a cruise liner handy to smash into Clarks head? The problem is... I think that's a true thing... men (and women too) sometimes see slight flirtation as something harmless, irrelevant.. so they miss the malicious intention of the act...
I also disliked the fact Clark laid the 'reason' as Lois... it gives Robin false hope to persue him if she can take Lois out of the equation.

This is heading down a path I'm not sure I want to see it go.. but it does seem like the natural flow can't be stopped, unless Lois has something up her sleeve stronger than the kryptonite.

I am intrigued by your story Terry, and it brings out strong emotions for me towards the characters. I enjoy stories that challenge the norm, whether they end up with a happily ever after ending or a more tragic result. I like that you are willing to take the risks needed to take these characters out of their normal comfort zones and into a darker place...

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
#55443 09/26/08 05:23 AM
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
This isn't my kind of plotline... but I can't help but find out what happens, so great job on the suspense factor and all.... and aside from the kiss...

Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:

He stood beside her. “Thank you, but I’m not your type. Besides, I’m starting to think of you as if you were my sister.”

Her eyebrows danced. “Sister? How’s that? We ain’t all that close related.”

His eyes narrowed at her choice of words. “I thought we weren’t related at all.”

Her face turned open and innocent. “Oh, no, we ain’t, not that I know ‘bout. So why you think I’m like your sister?”

He decided to leave the subject of their possible blood relationship for another time. “You’re the closest to family from Krypton that I’ve ever met.”

“What about them New Kryptonians? Wasn’t they family too?”

“Not really. They only wanted to use me for political reasons. Zara and I got to be friends by the time they left, but family? Not really.”

“Too bad for you, I guess.”

He nodded, thinking that she didn’t sound as if she were sorry, either for his lack of family or for what she’d done a few moments before. “I think we’re about finished here anyway. Let’s fly home.”
Hmmmmm... how close ARE they related? At least Clark seems to be noticing a few more slip ups on Robin's part, though to bring up the "little sister" mentality... if he so thoroughly views her in a platonic role it makes more sense that he's missing the cues. Like when people tell me my little brother is hot... I just don't see it. Maybe if Clark can CATCH her in a deception or in a more over attempt to get him to play Adam to her Eve he'll wake up some more, though I already have my theories about how this will end... can't wait to see how far off I am.

Sara "Lieta"
#55444 09/28/08 05:16 PM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Okay already...

post!

Come on!

Carol wink