Next Thread
Print Thread
#55360 09/22/08 02:21 PM
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
I've seen Clark's behavior in co-workers so many times. He needs to learn about proper boundaries and transference.

I hope Lois gets a selection of Kryptonite. Maybe a type of Gold Kryptonite

Framework4
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Uh Oh!! That can't be good. I can't believe how blind Clark is being to the whole situation. Post more soon please.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, this chapter follows logically from the parts that have preceded it. Clark has high hopes for Robin and he so, so much needs her to succeed. Does he love her? No, that is not the word at all. He needs her for his self-image. He needs her to be a good person so that he can really, really believe that he is one, too.

On the other hand, it is possible that he feels some sort of attraction to Robin that he doesn't understand himself. He doesn't feel for her the way he feels for Lois at all - but it could be that he is as unwilling to give Robin up as he is unwilling to give up Lois.

It could be, in fact, that he is more unwilling to give up Robin than Lois. It could be that he sees Robin as more of a key to his own life and his own being than Lois could ever be.

One thing about Clark's relationship with Lois is that he has long been willing to have her only half way, to share only a part of him with her, and keep the rest completely locked away from her. When he proposed to her in the show, he didn't volunteer any information to her that it was in fact Superman who proposed to her. And I can't help thinking that perhaps he felt that it wasn't Superman who proposed to her. Perhaps he was really thinking that it was only Clark Kent who proposed, only the human side of him, the aspect of him that lives like a perfectly normal human. Perhaps he was really planning to keep the super side of him, the Kryptonian side of himself, away from her, just like before. Perhaps he was thinking that even if the human side of him married her, the Kryptonian aspect of him would still be forced to tell her, at any time of the day and night, that he had to run away to return a book to the library or pick up his Cheese of the Month shipment. And he would do that not primarily because he was forced to be Superman and help out at disasters, since that was a given. No, rather because he wanted to keep the Kryptonian aspect of himself away from Lois. Because she couldn't understand that aspect of him. She couldn't share it. And he didn't want to share it with her, since she couldn't, deep down, understand it.

Now that Robin has entered the stage, I think Clark is having to choose between the human and the Kryptonian aspect of himself. So far I don't think he realizes that he has to choose. He is thinking that he can have both these women, and that he can stay away from Lois regularly and for long periods of time so that he can spend time alone with Robin. That is how he felt about being Kryptonian without Lois before he had told her his secret - or rather, before she had figured out his secret. There were two sides to him, and he felt that one side of him could love Lois while the other side could cut her off from him and keep her in the dark.

As I said, some of my students have just read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and I think there are some similarities between Frankenstein's obsession with his monster and Clark's obsession with Robin. However, some other of my students have read Robert Louis Stevenson's Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde, and I think there are similarities between Clark and Dr. Jekyll, too.

Stevenson's novella is a tragedy about a man who is torn in two different directions. He finds a way to let the suppressed part of himself out, so that he can exercise all aspects of himself and be more fully himself. Of course Dr. Jekyll's dream of self-realization is ultimately a dream of releasing the dark and destructive forces within himself, which is as far from Clark's dream of self-realization as could be. But like Clark, Dr. Jekyll thinks it is possible to live a perfect double life, to really be two people. Like Clark, he keeps his 'other identity' a secret from his friends. He doesn't realize that once Mr. Hyde has been released he can't be suppressed, and Dr. Jekyll's own existence will be shattered forever.

Will Robin grow into Frankenstein's monster? Will the aspect of Clark that is obsessed with Robin grow into Mr. Hyde, who destroys the 'Dr. Jekyll' aspect of Clark, the aspect of him that can live happily with Lois?

You warned us at the beginning of this fic that a character death was coming. Last time you gave us such a warning the casualty turned out to be the villain. This time it could very well be Lois.

There is another possibility. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is forced to try to destroy the monster he has created. What will happen if Clark is forced to conclude that the woman he has trained is too dangerous to be allowed to use her superpowers?

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Someone push Clark in front of a freight train will ya???
Seriously... that man needs to have a reality check.

He doesn't believe Lois's fears... BUT WHY???

Can't he see the way Robin looks at Lois? He's supposed to be observant.

This really isn't going to end well....

I wonder what Lois is going to say to Dr Klein?

Looking forward to more soon please....

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
'Lunkhead' doesn't begin to describe Clark here. I think Lois understands Clark's need to connect with something Kryptonian [or is at least attempting to] much more than Clark is even beginning or attempting to understand Lois' feelings about Robin. I don't know that I'd call Lois 'scared' but certainly on the look out. I'm afraid it's going to take something drastic for Clark to see what's really going on - either Robin... making a real pass of some sort [as opposed to the here's your robe back thing] or Lois having to holler for Superman as Robin dangles her off a bridge [but then Clark would only believe it if he actually saw it - if he caught Lois mid-fall, Robin would be long gone and he'd think she either fell or was blaming Robin instead of someone else or something].

Not sure how you're going to wrap it up in 3 parts, but I'm anxiously waiting for the next post.

Carol

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Still peeking through my fingers to read this story, but I wanted to let you know that I liked this part. It's chilling to see the progression of the characters toward the impending disaster (in whatever form it takes). My personal belief is that Lois will get some Kryptonite from Bernie as protection. At least, I hope she does. Whether Clark sees Robin for what she is or misinterprets Lois's actions as aggressive or vicious is the big question.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ann's duality theory. I couldn't get past my emotional reaction to really analyze anything, so I'm glad to read about her speculations. Mr Hyde, indeed.

Brenda

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
When this story was just in its "imagining" phase, way back at the beginning, I knew it would be a very serious treatment of this triangle relationship. But I never envisioned the depth of reaction from the readers. Y'all are really prodding at this story to see where it bends and where it's pointing. And if I'm pushing the emotional envelope too far for some of you, I apologize. My goal is to entertain you, not to depress you.

Maybe if I tell you that there will be a resolution to this conflict it would help. I can't tell you that there will be a happy ending - because sometimes my toys don't go back where they came from - but I will say that the situation won't linger.

Ann, your speculation about Frankenstein's monster or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is very interesting. I hadn't consciously considered either of those aspects while I was writing this, but I can see where you might make those comparisons. They're more fitting than I intended, I think.

Next chapter Thursday evening, probably.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
WOW for two reasons

firstly,
wonderful story...
the more I read, the more I want to read...
brilliant... thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

the 2nd WOW
is for Ann,
this could almost be an essay into English Literature,
in particular some form of comparative text analysis...
reminds me of my lil' Sis, who is currently writing 10,000 similar essays in preparation for her HSC (state-wide end of yr-12 exams) comparing Bladerunner (the movie) with Huxley's BRAVE NEW WORLD...
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard