Next Thread
Print Thread
#55022 08/30/08 08:41 AM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Nice update Beth.

Jay seems to be moving on a bit in his new life. The class seems to be providing a good outlet for him to use those talents from his old life as part of his new one. I would think that some level of continuity would be important.

The contrast between the two fathers was fascinating. Clark is still as sensitive as ever and Jay's dad continues to be a piece of work. I am willing to still give him the benefit of the doubt on the underlying motivation for his actions. I sense that for all the negative energy that he presents he really does care about his kids. He just doesn't seem to know anything other than dominate and attack. frown

The possibility of him going after the Kent family does present some fun options. I guess ultimately I'm sad for him. Considering that BOTH of his children are involved with the members of the Kent family, if the Kent clan was indeed involved in something “problematic” it would be one thing for one child to be taken in but he should have enough confidence that both would not.

And finally, I long to see Jay's metallic creation. (Not to mention trying to visualize the look of his apartment when he finished.) smile

Bob

#55023 08/30/08 10:40 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Hi Beth,
I just finished re reading Honesty and Fidelity again and caught up on this "new" story. I loved this chapter. We see Jay finally standing up for himself and confronting his father. Rather than seeking his approval, he's moving on to find his own place in the world. I can't wait to see what he's made! What a great idea that it was Martha who got him started back on that path while in Smallville. And I love that he's found a new father figure in Clark, someone who values and builds him up rather than tearing him down. I'm interested to see how/if his self esteem issues will play out. Can't wait for the next chapter! smile

#55024 08/30/08 07:54 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks for the comments, guys!

I am willing to still give him the benefit of the doubt on the underlying motivation for his actions. I sense that for all the negative energy that he presents he really does care about his kids. He just doesn't seem to know anything other than dominate and attack
I'm glad you see this, Bob. And I completely agree with you.

flowerpot, thanks for commenting!

And I love that he's found a new father figure in Clark, someone who values and builds him up rather than tearing him down.
For all the obsessing that Clark did about whether or not he would make a good father, he ended up turning out okay. But then again, we all knew that from the beginning. wink

#55025 08/31/08 01:51 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
peep Hi Beth. Sorry I'm so late. Read and loved your part on Friday but gotten swamped with Ficathons assignments afterwards.

I never saw Jay blowing up coming. This was amazing stuff. And Ellie's first green-K experiment. Poor Clark. Although, given how extreme they react to the first exposure, they would make it mandatory before going out to hunting down criminals.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#55026 08/31/08 05:40 AM
Columnist
Columnist
No need to apologize, Michael. I'm glad to hear from you.

Although, given how extreme they react to the first exposure, they would make it mandatory before going out to hunting down criminals.
I think this was part of Ellie's rationale. Unfortunately, her family may not see it that way. laugh

#55027 08/31/08 06:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good part. This was a very good portrayal of a parent so consumed by his own career that he makes his children suffer. On the other hand, the stakes are higher than normal. The mysterious Dad risks the survival of his country if the Kents are agents of the wrong side. Clark doesn't appear to recognize Dad even though they've met and I bet Superman knows some pretty powerful people. Interesting that Jay was paired with Scardino's daughter in an earlier part. I hope the mystery is solved!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard