Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
G
AW! That is so cute! I was bugged by the fact that he slept through her confession of love for him...and so you fixed it! I so love you! He is just so cute...and sweet...and Clark. I WANT ONE!

"Madness is like gravity...it just takes a little push." ~The Joker
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
you know... that is a really nice, simple, but heartfelt story.

It does wrap up the reason he was alseep on the drive home in a sweet way.. that doesn't seem so selfish...

I really liked this little ditty. smile

Thanks for finding it and letting it escape from it's hole.

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
Columnist
Columnist
I love how you solved Clark's nap during her confession. He was of course saving Lois from herself.

Short sweet and to the point.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
YAY! I can't tell you how happy I am to have this to read this morning. (and I'm sorry I wasn't online while you were working on it... I feel horrible about that. frown )

He was tired. Possibly more so than he had ever been before.
Sounds exactly like me this morning. LOL!

Yes, there was Superman, but Superman didn't spend stakeouts playing board games with Lois, he didn't bring her cups of coffee in the morning, or walk her home after a long day at work. It wasn't Superman that Lois bounced story ideas off, or ranted at when she was upset, and it wasn't Superman's apartment that she invited herself into at all hours of the night when she was scared, or lonely, or needed a friend.
Awwww!!! :hugs Clarkie: (and dammit, :sniffles: cause this totally got to me!)

He had spent the time after his supposed death worrying about himself, his secret, his loss, and he had spent far too little time worrying about the effect it would have on Lois.
Ah, damn you... I'll be crying through the rest of this, I'm sure now. whinging

beautiful.. just beautiful. :hugs you: You have the most wonderful way of breaking our hearts (and his, too).

/heads over to the restrooms for Kleenex.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I have always been convinced that Clark wasn't really asleep during that scene, which has always frustrated me, since there is no plausible explanation why...until now. Thanks! This little story was really great.

Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

That was a really lovely short story, and you have given a very good and plausible reason why Clark pretended to sleep through Lois' confession.

I never bought it that he was really asleep, but this reaction is very much in Clark's character and fits very well with the show.

Yours Jenni

Features Writer
Features Writer
My Igloo can WRITE!

I looooovvveeee this. Sometimes short is the sweetest, and this certainly is. It's bittersweet, too. I always wondered if Clark was actually asleep in the car, especially since she was SO happy to see him, and he would have wanted to really make sure she was OK. (And seriously, come on, what man in the right mind falls asleep when an attractive woman is driving him home wearing nothing but his suit jacket?!?!)

Anyway, I always figured that he did hear her, because had he not known she was starting to feel something for him, he never would have asked her out in "The Phoenix." Clark always put Lois' comfort first, and I think that there had to be a reason why he decided to ask her out at that point. And in the car, Lois never said she HAD feelings, but instead wondered if there could be feelings. That, I think, gave Clark the confidence to ask her out later.

My favorite part was his self-awareness of what his "death" had done to Lois, and the vast ways his relationship with her as Clark differed with his relationship with her as Superman, and it's pretty clear that he cherishes her rants and working on stories and having her show up at his place in the middle of the night. He just ... loves her. And you do a beautiful job of demonstrating that, while also not letting him off the hook for what he did to her.

And I also love his rationale -- that he pretended to be asleep in order to protect her. Awww, Clark. He's a darn nice guy -- and he's darn hot, too. laugh

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That was a very sweet vignette and great reasoning from Clark smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, think that you gave us a very good explanation of why Clark pretended to be asleep when Lois drove him home in the TOGOM episode. His musings were very much in character for him. Good job! thumbsup

Ann

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Okay, I'm still catching up (slowly) on all I've missed in the last two months when I've done almost no reading.

This was wonderful and made me glad I went back to check what I missed. Everytime I saw this episode, the fact that Clark fell asleep bugged me. I can hear my husband's voice in my head, who complained loudly, when a woman you've been in love with for over a year starts to express their feelings for you, you don't fall asleep.

This explanation was very believable and in character for Clark.

Kerth
Kerth
Jessi!

I sadly missed this when it was first posted. When I found out that you had written a story that I hadn't read, I quickly scurried off to find it. And what a beautiful and emotional story it is. You really do have an amazing way with words and an ability to pack so much punch into just a sentence or two. grovel
But he did love her – with all his heart, he loved her – and that was why he'd had to pretend to be sleeping. Though it killed him to remain silent while she lowered the barriers around herself – the ones he had been fighting so hard to break down - he understood that acting on it now would eventually destroy everything between them. If he allowed their romantic relationship to start under that pretext, she would never forgive him when he told her he was Superman. And he would never be able to forgive himself for letting that happen.
Oh man, I'm writhing with jealousy - that's absolutely the best rewrite of an ending that I've read. I will never again see the end of TOGOM without thinking that Clark is secretly awake and dying on the inside. You led us through his process of self-recrimination so well that we can't help but feel bad for him (and agree with him that he was a selfish jerk). I love that he loves her enough to wait for the next opportunity and a way to tell her the truth without taking advantage of her emotional vulnerability.

I hope this means that you'll be writing more in the future. I've missed you!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard