Print Thread
#50426 03/14/08 04:57 PM
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
Interesting.
“It enables the user to target a specific set of memories and wipe them from the subject’s mind.”
Oh, temptation rears it head. How will Jon handle it?
Kaylie, this is Amanda. We… work together.” Immediately, I understood the intense undercurrents that I sensed in the room. This was the girl that Jon had dated before. Whom he had told the truth to, but then ended up breaking up with anyway.
Giving him access to a device that can undo the revelation to Amanda!

Framework4
#50427 03/14/08 05:38 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I think the plot is advancing really nicely in this chapter. The memory wiping device is a really nice concept. I guess many people would be happy to get paid and not have to work for it but I guess Jay really just wants to help the country. I think he is growing on me.

I suspect Kaylie's Dad already knows about supermans relationship with Lois and just hasn't quite connected the dots with Jon yet. It won't be long, I would guess, before he figures it out. He's a clever cookie.

I enjoyed seeing how nervous Kaylie was about introducing Jon to her dad. That first introduction is a nerve wrecking moment for the most of us, but imagine introducing Supernova to a secret agent and youu have an explosive combination of untruths and expert lie detection.

Anyway, great work. I loved it! thumbsup

Lois: Clark, you don't have to be embarrassed. That's what friends are for. Just tell me how much.
Clark: Lois, I want you to go out with me!
#50428 03/15/08 06:38 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
No I wasn't being generous with the thread, I was asleep!

Nicely done as always, Beth. And good luck with your papers. smile

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#50429 03/15/08 05:36 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Look, I think we both know that I don’t have a lot going for me right now. But you… You have a whole life ahead of yourself. If you stumbled into trouble on this assignment… Just think about what it’d be like if they wiped your memories of Jon.
Okay, Beth, you've got some dark ideas rolling around in your head! :p That's super creepy (and yes an awesome pile of angst!) Hm, is Kaylie's dad going to be an issue...obviously he doesn't know why Jon is lying...and Jay wow, talk about the worst time ever in your life...

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#50430 03/16/08 08:01 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Good part, as always. Bad feedback... as always.

Looking forward to the next part. thumbsup

- Alisha (who, on reading that back, thinks she ought to make sure that Beth understands that it's her (Alisha's) feedbacking skills that are bad, nothing else!)

#50431 03/16/08 09:30 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hm, could Daddy Dearest be thinking that there is something fishy going on? could be fun, especially if he thought that Lois were having an affair and that perhaps the future son in law could be of equally moral standards. Especially if Daddy Dearest where to see him interact with Nebula on some occasion. angel-devil What can I say, the "Much Ado About Nothing" approach is always a fun one.

On a more serious note: Why am I worried about the whole mind wipe thing? Certainly not because it could hurt Kaylie. There would be no reason for that whatsoever. Right?

Michael, who is eagerly waiting for Friday night - aka Beth-Post-Day.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#50432 03/16/08 09:44 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
The extent of Jay's memory loss bothers me. Why would the bad guy/gal/guys/gals/whatever wipe out such a wide range of memories? Maybe this device isn't as precise as Kaylie's father believes. Maybe it's not as useful as a "surgical strike" tool as he thinks it is. And I'm also concerned that Kaylie and Lois are the only non-powered major characters in this tale, and that puts them at serious risk. Jon can shadow Kaylie, of course, and Clark will stay with Lois, but that means that Ellie is out there by herself with no backup except possibly Jay, and we already know they don't much like each other.

It appears that Kaylie's family is held together by a sibling bond instead of a parent-child bond. If that's true, maybe Daddy dearest isn't as benign as Kaylie thinks he is. Wouldn't that be a twist? And if that's true, doesn't that open up some very interesting doors?

Great job so far, Beth. Keep up the great work!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#50433 03/16/08 01:08 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

Oh, temptation rears it head. How will Jon handle it? Giving him access to a device that can undo the revelation to Amanda!
So true! How many of us would be tempted to take away a person's memories of a particular event?

I guess many people would be happy to get paid and not have to work for it but I guess Jay really just wants to help the country. I think he is growing on me.
I'm glad, em. Jay does come off as a bit of a jerk at the start, but hopefully now that you know what he's going through you can understand his actions a bit better.

gr8shades, I would never suspect you of voluntarily giving up the right to start a fdk thread. wink Thanks for your comments.

Okay, Beth, you've got some dark ideas rolling around in your head!
Thanks JD! devil What's a LnC based story without at least a threat of amnesia?

Alisha, you'll never find me complaining about "bad feedback" I don't think there's such a thing. Just knowing that people are reading puts a smile on my face. smile

Michael:

Why am I worried about the whole mind wipe thing? Certainly not because it could hurt Kaylie. There would be no reason for that whatsoever. Right?
Well, as JD said, it would make for some good angst, and I can't just write a multiple part story that has nothing but engagement fluff... We'll see how this plays out. wink

The extent of Jay's memory loss bothers me. Why would the bad guy/gal/guys/gals/whatever wipe out such a wide range of memories?
We'll find out more about this in the next part, Terry, but for now maybe take a peek at the first chapter again, as seen through a new light. Our mysterious female baddie mentions that she wants to make an example out of their prisoner. And so perhaps they were deliberately crude in what they did in an attempt to really show the NIA that they mean business.

#50434 03/16/08 02:31 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I just wanted to pop in and say that I enjoyed this last installment, especially the flashback to Jon and Ellie and their conversation about Grandpa Kent's funeral.

“Jon, I know this has been difficult for you,” Ellie told him hesitantly. “But it’s been hard on everyone. And I really think you need to just take a day and blow off some steam-”

“You might be able to do that, Ellie,” Jon interjected, “but I can’t. Grandpa meant a lot more to me-”

“I loved him too!” Ellie cut in. “Just because you lived with him for four years doesn’t mean that you have the ultimate claim on grief. We’re all grieving, Jon!”
Interesting. In the last story, we got to see the mystery of Jon's relationship with Amanda unravel over time. In this part, we're seeing more about how he finally decided to don a suit and join the family business. It'll be interesting to see how Jonathan Kent's death made Jon throw himself into the superhero business, since he was always the more cautious one about using the powers in public. Maybe Grandpa didn't die of natural causes, but because Jon couldn't act quickly enough to save him from something else?

Eagerly awaiting the next part,
BJ

#50435 03/17/08 03:01 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Brazil… yay… smile1

#50436 03/17/08 12:25 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks BJ and dede!

BJ, I'm glad you enjoyed the Grandpa Kent stuff. I was a little nervous about including such a heavy topic in my story, so I'm glad it's working for you.

dede, I'll notify Jon and Ellie about the trip to Brazil. Of course in 2008, they're about ten and eight, so Clark and Lois will have to come with. Any objections? Or, I suppose they can wait a few year and come by themselves. Whenever you're free. wink

And you're right, Jon can be a bit of a pain in the ass when he's hurt. He tends to draw into himself and ignore other people. But I guess that's just one of the things that makes him who he is.

#50437 03/18/08 12:31 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Nope, no problem at all! Tell Clark that I just turned 21 last Friday it would be nice birthday present. laugh In 2008 I still haven’t got any kids, but it sure would make nice bed time story.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard