#4990 07/31/03 12:47 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi,

Cute story. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#4991 07/31/03 02:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute! Nice forthought<g> Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#4992 07/31/03 02:41 PM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I can see Lois going through something exactly like this in "Whine, Whine, Whine". Nicely done.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#4993 07/31/03 06:25 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Alicia,
cute story
merry

#4994 07/31/03 07:27 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
This was very well done. thumbsup It would stand well alone, but is even better as a complement to Speed.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#4995 07/31/03 11:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Laura, I love this! We never did see just why Lois chose Clark in the series, though we were left clues to enable us to work it out. It's lovely to see the thought process she goes through, though. And even better that she's known for some time that it's Clark she wants.

Just right. thumbsup

Wendy (adding this to her Kerth list alongside Speed wink )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#4996 07/31/03 11:56 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Another very insightful vignette, Alicia, which completes Speed very nicely. smile

Lois's reasoning about being scared of loving Clark because he's real was right on of course, but there were snippets that were even more subtle and which I thought added a great touch: for example Lois's train of thought leading her from "Superman wouldn't take advantage of me" to "That's why I can only love Clark", because here the meaning of "taking advantage" shifts. She realises that Superman would never truly commit in a relationship, that he wouldn't make *any* step forward, that he wouldn't give her the rush of romance that she gets with Clark. Then there was the bit about Dan, and Lois realising that she has been stringing him along just to make Clark jealous. I love it that she recognises that Dan is a nice guy and he deserves some credit for the courage he had.

So in conclusion, a great read and lovely complement to Speed. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#4997 08/01/03 12:11 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Alicia

I love this! smile1 You have a flair for writing excellent introspection. Lois's emotions are superbly portrayed. Her reasoning for her choice makes perfect sense. Of course a lot of her insecurities come from Clark running away. If only he told her the truth! But then he also is very insecure. A great pair! notworthy

Tricia cool

#4998 08/01/03 10:07 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great little story! I don't remember reading Speed, but I know I had to have, because this story seemed to totally tie in with another I read (which must have been Speed).

*Blayne*

Clark: You are really high maintenance, you know it?
Lois: But I'm worth it.

Clark: Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?
Lois: Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.
#4999 08/01/03 12:22 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Alicia, good story, but you forgot one thing.

You forgot to include that handsome stranger from Minnesota who comes along to capture the heart of a confused Lois... oh, wait, I think the producers edited me out of the series before I could complicate matters more wink

Tank (who figures with his luck Lois would just have used him to make Dan jealous)

#5000 08/01/03 01:20 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This was a lovely little introspective piece, Laura. thumbsup

Thanks for sharing. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#5001 08/02/03 05:21 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Thanks for your comments, everyone. I really appreciate them. I'll post a more detailed response when I get back from the beach laugh

- Laura cool

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#5002 08/03/03 06:44 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Laura, nice introspective into Lois' thought processes during WWW.

It wasn't fair to keep stringing all of them along.
She wasn't actually stringing Superman along. You can make the case that it was Superman who was stringing her along. She just had to give him up in her own heart to realize who it was she really wanted.

He had been the one to pull away -- because Mayson Drake had been killed practically right in front of them.
This is the major complaint that I had from the late second season. It was clear Clark was hurting from Mayson's death, though from reasons she didn't know about. Yet she expected Clark to absolutely fine about it a week later even though she was hurt by it as well despite her jealousy and antipathy for Mayson. Clark was obsessed with finding her killer, something Lois would have done in his place. But she didn't give Clark the time to get over it before she started trying to make him jealous over Dan. Lois may have been able to make her excuse by blaming her own insecurities, but to hurt Clark like that was inexcusable.

Maybe Clark had associated anything romantic with Mayson's death. Could he feel bad that Mayson had died while he had been kissing her? Was that the reason for his mysterious disappearing act?
This is a plausible explanation, but one she never got from him. It is Clark's fault that he never took the opportunity to explain to her exactly how he felt about her. While all these interruptions as Superman may have been exasperating on screen, he did have a lot of downtime where he could have told her the truth, or at least a plausible excuse (assuming he knows how to make one, of course smile )

Did he know how much she needed him?
Clearly not, since he's about to leave town because she's too busy chasing Scarface.

Even though she had known all along who had always been the one to hold her affections, she had never done anything about her feelings. She had been scared. Frightened of his reaction.
Yeah, this made it half her fault, but she placed all the blame solely on Clark. Unfair.

Maybe she had initially started talking to him because Clark had made her so angry. And then when she realized that Clark was jealous of him, she kept stringing Daniel along to see if Clark would break.

That's exactly what she had been doing. Stringing Daniel along.

She felt so horrible! No, she'd never felt anything for Daniel. But she'd strung him along just to make Clark jealous.
This seems to be a habit with Lois. Fishface was showing blatant interest, so she decided to date him so she could hide from the person she really wanted. I know we had a collective "finally" when she made the right choice. Here, I'm glad she realized what she was doing.

Yes, she definitely made the right choice. In fact, it really hadn't been a choice at all. Clark had always been the one she loved -- it had just taken her so long to realize it. By some good fortune, he was still available even though it had taken her so long to make her decision. She hadn't lost him through it all. If nothing else had made her realize how much she needed him, that fact, alone, had.

She needed Clark. And now she just needed to make him realize how much they needed *each other*.
It's nice she realized here just how much time she wasted and how close she'd come to losing him after she'd spent so much time pushing him away.

She knew he loved her -- and she just needed to make *him* acknowledge his feelings.
This was actually closer to her own situation in the reverse of how she meant it. She was the one who actually took so long to admit her feelings. Clark had always known he felt that way. It was just the writers who wanted to torture us that kept him from taking one minute out of his day to tell her so. It was Clark who never really knew how she felt. She was clearly interested, but she never showed him it went anywhere beyond that. That mistake on her part nearly cost them both dearly, as he was ready to leave town, believing she didn't care.

Good pair of vignettes! thumbsup

P.S. I'm also wondering why the man from Minnesota was written out. smile I'm sure he would have made a much more believable potential suitor than "Just call me Daniel" Scardino.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#5003 08/24/03 05:00 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Alicia,

I read story 2...the prequel. LOL

Again, you're so good with these introspective scenes. And the offhand comments about "Call me Daniel" Scardino were perfect.

He made me nuts on the show. I just wanted to strangle him. grumble

Wonderful addition to the episode.

Bella

Lois : And you know, you put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark : "And I love you. Did we just make up?"
Lois : "I think so."

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard