Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Ah, lovie, you've done it again! Wonderful chapter but too short. Too much A plot and not enough Lois & Clark! LOL!

“I know,” Clark said, sounding contrite. “I just… I guess I wanted to do something for you. And finding another lead on the story seemed like the thing that would make you happiest.”

Lois sat back down. “Clark, you don’t need to do anything for me.”

“But I wanted to. I wanted to get things back to normal. And I wanted to apologize. I shouldn’t have taken advantage of you before,” he gestured awkwardly at the door.

“What?” Lois asked. “You didn’t take advantage of me!”

“I did,” Clark insisted. “I knew you didn’t mean to do that. I knew it was a momentary lapse, a mistake. But I kissed you anyway. I shouldn’t have done that. I’m sorry. But I promise, I won’t do it again. You’ve been clear with where things stand and I will respect that. I promise.”
So, Clark is so scared that he is going to lose Lois's friendship that he resorts to the safe relationship and puts his emotions into work. He wants to "do something for her," which translates to "impress her." Clark wants to show Lois that he can cut off his feelings and be the friend that she {says} wants him to be. Poor baby. Clark loves Lois so much and here he is having to apologize for it.
Lois sat further back on the couch, unsure what to say. She wanted to tell him that he was not completely to blame, that he should not beat himself over this. On the other hand, she wanted to move past what was an uncomfortable conversation and Clark was offering to do so, telling her everything she needed to hear to be sure that there was no misunderstandings about her intentions. Why should she question it?
God! These two want to be with each other so badly. What is it going to take?
This is about you. Your safety. The story Jimmy and I wrote about Bonny and Clyde and the whole lot was really good journalism. Still, though, I would have gladly given the byline to someone else if it could have saved you. I don’t have any desire to repeat that. I’d hand the story and all my notes over to someone else if that will save you.”

Clark said nothing for a moment and then moved to pull her towards him, holding her tightly in his arms. “Thank you,” he whispered. “Thank you.”
Lois is using a journalism metaphor to tell Clark just how much he means to her. And she allowed him to hold her.
A little worried she might do something stupid like kiss him again, Lois pulled away gently, intent now on changing the topic of conversation. “So what did you learn from Weis?” she asked.
I wish Lois would stop fighting it and just give in. She doesn't trust herself around Clark because she wants more than friendship from Clark but doesn't know how to surrender her previous convictions of just friendship. It's almost as if now she has to live by the friendship rule because she set it and God forbid Lois Lane goes back on her word.
“We should call Henderson.”

“Already done,” Clark said. “He said he had some news for us as well and would be by in an hour or so. That was about 20 minutes ago. Oh, and he’s bringing pizza. I asked for sausage and pepper.”

“My favorite,” Lois smiled.

“I know,” Clark said softly.
Clark still doing whatever it takes to make Lois happy.
Lois leaned over, and mostly to prove there were no hard feelings from earlier, kissed his cheek lightly. Then she got up. “I’m going to get something to drink. Do you want anything?”

“No, thanks,” Clark said, resting his head back against the couch.
Whatever Lois. Now go and get a drink so to put some distance between Clark and your out of control emotions.
She set an alarm on her computer before poking her head into the master bedroom after knocking softly on the door. “Good night, Clark,” she said as she opened the door. But Clark was already asleep. Lois walked in a bit more fully and sat on the bed beside him, watching the rise and fall of his chest as he slept. Despite herself, Lois felt a fondness for the man beside her that she had sworn she would not let herself feel. But she had never been very good at controlling her emotions. If she had, she would never have fallen in love with Clark in the first place, given her rule against office romances.

The thought made her smile. Maybe she would be better this time. Maybe she would be able to keep her emotions to the strong fondness she felt right now and not be foolish enough to fall in love again.

Reaching out to brush an errant curl out of his eyes, Lois watched the rise and fall of his chest once more. The movement was rhythmic and hypnotizing and within moments, Lois had fallen asleep beside him.
party She fell asleep beside him. This is one of the most obvious displays of trust. She's giving Clark another chance. I wonder what he'll do when he wakes up. My guess is that in his sleep he will end up holding Lois and she will start to realize that she cannot live without him.

Very very nice! I am dying for them to get past this thing and get back together. I know that Clark was wrong, but let it go already!
quote:
Time is limited but GET BACK HERE!
I knew you would not like the end of this, Sheila. But your response, as always, was priceless.
You know me too well!

Hurry back!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hmmm, very good part, anonpip! And the A-plot is certainly coming along nicely.

“And, now that I'm out of the way, Weis has big plans. After he talked to Skagle to confirm that I hadn't shown up, he called someone else. A man named Caragy. From what I could gather, Caragy works for NASA, but he's not exactly what you would call a loyal employee. He's supplying Weis with exact coordinates and projections for Deucalion*.”

“Deucalion?” Lois interrupted. “Isn't that the small ship of Prometheus residents trying to make its way to Mars?”

Clark nodded, “So far, the trip has been a success and they are making good time. If the theories are correct and they discover Mars can be made inhabitable, it will be a coup for the US as the US government is funding the mission. But it seems Weis takes after the man whose empire he now owns.”
Wow!!!! Weis is trying to take over the ship bound for Mars!!!!

[Linked Image]

Ah gaaaah. Yes, Nasa is certainly talking about sending people to Mars, though I don't think a definite date has been set, and it won't happen for at least a decade yet.

But how scary would it be to go to Mars? Can you imagine it? First of all, do you realize how complicated it would be to even go there?

[Linked Image]

The trip there would take months. And can you imagine what it would be like to be confined inside a small spaceship, and when you look out the window you can see the Earth behind you, shrinking and shrinking the whole time? (Well, most of the time anyway.)

[Linked Image]

Shrinking and shrinking, until finally it would be just a pale blue dot?

[Linked Image]

No really, the Earth would never look that faint as seen from Mars. It would look like a bright but featureless star. But still, though? Wouldn't it the idea of seeing the Earth being so far away from you be scary?

Lois groaned. “Oh, so Weis wants to be the first person to make it to Mars and find out if it's inhabitable?
Hey, Weis doesn't have to go to Mars to find out if it's inhabitable! The surface of Mars is all barren and sterile, and it is being bombarded with dangerous ultraviolet light from the Sun. This ultraviolet light makes it all the way down to the surface of Mars because the atmosphere of Mars is much too thin to stop it. In order to survive on Mars, humans will have to build their own protection, maybe so called Mars domes:

[Linked Image]

What would that do for him? It's not like he would own it just because he got there first.”

“Weis seems to think he could persuade the government to let him do so,” Clark informed her.

“And how is he going to do that?”

“War,” Clark replied. “He's planning on launching a bomb at Deucalion. He'll threaten other attacks if they thwart his plans.”

“He can't possibly have the means to take on the US military!” Lois exclaimed.

“He doesn't need to,” Clark reminded her. “He clearly has a way to make nuclear weapons. I'm not sure how the US would feel about fighting a nuclear war. Particularly on American soil.”
Well, wow... it's a bit far out, but I like it. Well, I like the A-plot, I mean, I don't like Weis!

The B-plot was very, very sweet. I loved Lois's concern for Clark, and I also loved how Clark rather stupidly subjected himself to more kryptonite radiation in order to get Lois information that she could use to write a Pulitzer-winning article. I loved how Lois fussed over Clark and rather mothered him a bit:

Lois took a slice of pizza out of the box and sprinkling first the garlic powder, then the red pepper on it, handed it to him. “Eat,” she instructed.

“Lois, I don't need to be babied,” Clark said. Both Lois and Henderson giggled slightly at the whiny sound to Clark's voice.

“I'm not babying you,” Lois insisted, “but your mother said food helps when you've been exposed to kryptonite. Now eat,” she said.
I love it!!!! clap

Despite herself, Lois felt a fondness for the man beside her that she had sworn she would not let herself feel. But she had never been very good at controlling her emotions. If she had, she would never have fallen in love with Clark in the first place, given her rule against office romances.

The thought made her smile. Maybe she would be better this time. Maybe she would be able to keep her emotions to the strong fondness she felt right now and not be foolish enough to fall in love again.

Reaching out to brush an errant curl out of his eyes, Lois watched the rise and fall of his chest once more. The movement was rhythmic and hypnotizing and within moments, Lois had fallen asleep beside him.
And what an ending! That's just adorable. sloppy

Thanks for telling me who Deucalion was. I'd love it if you'd also explain about this MSG thing!

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
So sweet and yet sad that Clark thinks that getting information on a story is the only way to make up with Lois. Very telling.

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Oh, thank you all for the kind words. I'm off on a horrendous work trip tomorrow morning, so it's heartening to see kind words tonight.

Sheila,

Too much A plot and not enough Lois & Clark!
Hey! No fair! The last chapter had lots of B-plot. wink There is obviously, quite a bit more B-plot coming…

Clark wants to show Lois that he can cut off his feelings and be the friend that she {says} wants him to be.
Isn't this what Clark is good at, though? Pretending he doesn't have any romantic feelings in order to maintain his friendship with Lois?

It's almost as if now she has to live by the friendship rule because she set it and God forbid Lois Lane goes back on her word.
I don't really see her being stubborn here, Sheila, so much as still scared. In my mind, Lois still isn't ready to get involved with Clark as she's feeling skittish about it. Lois has only had bad experiences with men before Clark and then just when she lets herself trust someone else, Clark, he betrays her, too. I think it's reasonable that she'd be pretty leery of trusting him again.

She fell asleep beside him. This is one of the most obvious displays of trust.
Yes, despite her nervousness, Lois clearly trusts Clark.

Ann,

Hmmm, very good part, anonpip! And the A-plot is certainly coming along nicely.
blush Thank you!

Yes, Nasa is certainly talking about sending people to Mars, though I don't think a definite date has been set, and it won't happen for at least a decade yet.
I did think about this, but decided that LnC never confined themselves to realistic scientific advances, so why should I?

The trip there would take months.
I did look this up to see if it was really feasible for people to travel there, although as you point out, I haven't really held myself to feasible things only. It takes about six months to get to Mars from Earth.

And can you imagine what it would be like to be confined inside a small spaceship, and when you look out the window you can see the Earth behind you, shrinking and shrinking the whole time? (Well, most of the time anyway.)
I know! It does sound scary to me as I'm claustrophobic. But the people going have been living on a Space Station for the last 12 years, so it may be a bit easier for them. It almost seems stranger to me to spend 12 years without being able to go outside.

In order to survive on Mars, humans will have to build their own protection, maybe so called Mars domes
Okay, okay, so perhaps this and the nuclear war idea are a bit far fetched. I struggled with this for a while. But finally, I decided that they were not out of the range of possibilities (as you mention, there are current speculations on how to make Mars habitable and Weis is rich enough to have his own (likely off-shore) source of nuclear weapons). I know it's still stretching it, but given that in LnC Lois' father creates robotic people, an ex-boyfriend of Lois' taps into Druid power, and Lex Luthor can create tidal waves, I decided it wasn't really out of the realm of things we'd see on the show.

Thanks for telling me who Deucalion was. I'd love it if you'd also explain about this MSG thing!
The MSG thing came from my husband, who does put MSG on his pizza (and just about anything else he can think of). And Henderson's explanation was taken directly from my husband – it acts like salt, bringing out the flavors of things without tasting salty.

I read an article about this in the NY Times somewhat recently. There are chemicals in certain foods called glutamates. Glutamates often have very little flavor of their own, but cause a strong flavor sensation with the foods they interact with. Soy sauce and MSG both have high levels of glutamates. Natural glutamates are found in balsamic vinegar (and other foods I can't recall). We have a few recipes that call for balsamic vinegar where it doesn't make sense (like chicken soup), and we've found that if we add too much, it completely ruins the soup as you can taste the vinegar. But if you have just the right amount, you don't taste it at all, but suddenly the soup tastes a whole lot better. I guess MSG does the same thing to pizza.

Beth,

So sweet and yet sad that Clark thinks that getting information on a story is the only way to make up with Lois.
To be fair, I'm not sure this is the only way. It was the fastest way he could think of. Still, though, I think you are right. This is very telling. He really doesn't get how much Lois cares for him.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
No sweat, anonpip. Yes, I thought your Mars expedition was a bit far out, but hey - it is clearly not as far out as the idea that a man can fly! goofy (Except he can't right now, but you get the idea...)

I wasn't criticizing this plot development at all! I guess I was rather getting enthusiastic, or maybe horrified, because I'm a total claustrophobiac. I thought it was fun to rant and rave a bit, but I wasn't criticizing your story! Absolutely not!

Ann

EDIT: Thanks for explaining what the MSG does. I still don't know what it is, though, or what it looks like. Ah well, I've been too lazy to google it!

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Sorry, Ann. I did not get your question.

MSG looks a lot like salt.

[Linked Image]

You can buy it in the supermarket. I think it's sold near the salt, but I'm not sure.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Really? I've never heard of it or seen it myself around where I live, in Sweden.

It's amazing what one can learn from reading these stories...

Thanks for the picture, Anonpip! smile Judging from the picture, it would seem to be a Chinese product.

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This is the Earth and Moon from Mars. [Linked Image] From APOD and Mars Global Surveyor

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I had no idea that MSG was not widely known elsewhere in the world, but yes, Ann, it is a Chinese ingredient. Here in the states, it has a bad reputation. The Chinese restaurants here all advertise that they don't use MSG. I'm not sure the basis for this, though.

I assume it's used quite liberally in Asia, but I'm not sure.

On another note, both free time and internet access have been ridiculously hard to come by this past week and this coming week looks to be even worse (at least in terms of free time - I'm not sure about internet access). I'm online now at an airport terminal, so posting is not an option. I'm going to try to post the next chapter tomorrow eve, but if it needs to wait until I get home next weekend, I'll post two chapters to make up for the long wait.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Heh! New York times had an article about MSG today - it is short for monosodium glutamate, apparently. And it has given Chinese restaurants a bad name. But it remains popular, all the same! laugh

I'm not sure that this link can be opened by anyone, or if you need to be logged in with the NYT, but what the heck...

Yes, MSG, the Secret Behind the Savor

wink laugh

Ann

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard