Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49903 02/20/08 12:30 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
This was really cute.

I LOVED the pureed yam quote. Classic Jenn at her best!

As a non-american.... some of the terminology took me off track a bit... but the story was still there... it didn't detract to much.

Could do with a sequel though... ended off just when it got interesting. smile

Great writing for just a 'drive in the car'... keep 'em coming Jenn.

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
#49904 02/20/08 03:01 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
heeee!!! You posted! *dances*

/runs over to read. Comments as I go:

He flashed a disarming grin. “I was thinking more along the lines of a nice evening watching my best friend’s alma mater get thrashed by my mine.”
hehe! smile That sounds about right. Mind you, sounds like something Lois might say, but it even funnier this way.

She had been waiting near her fish tank, but stopped and silently counted to fifty. She didn’t want to let on just how excited she was to go the game with him.
thumbsup thumbsup

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#49905 02/20/08 04:32 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
How sweet!

Been years since I've been to a basketball game, but this was fun! Loved the pureed yam comment wink .

The only thing I noticed... Not enough ogling by Lois of Clark in a well fitting Tshirt - arm muscles or whatever wink . She *is* a red blooded female after all smile .

Very sweet. Thanks for sharing!
Carol

#49906 02/20/08 04:33 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
He looked down at his shirt. “No, Lois,” he began patronizingly, “Texas' orange is burnt orange. Our orange is amber orange.”

She giggled. “Was pureed yam already taken?”
[Linked Image]

Yes, it was already taken! (And did you know that this image is from a site called seattlebonvivant? goofy )

Clark hid a smile. He had seen Lois go off on tangents about everything from the wrong kind of steno pads in the supply closet to people who drove too slow in the fast lane on the freeway, but to see her fired up about sports was something new.

And despite his declaration that this was a platonic outing, he found her ardent attitude incredibly sexy.
Awwww!!!! goofy

Adorable, Jenn!!! clap clap clap

Ann

#49907 02/20/08 05:15 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Jenn, only you could make basketball that sexy!

This is a great story. Engaging, wonderful detail and with an edge of sizzle. I love it!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#49908 02/20/08 05:46 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
She regarded him suspiciously. “Like a date?”

He flashed a disarming grin. “I was thinking more along the lines of a nice evening watching my best friend’s alma mater get thrashed by my mine.”
Haha, that's my kind of date.

And aww sweet n happy ending! :p Yep, I was definitely in a fluffy mood today!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#49909 02/20/08 06:03 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Well, I didn't know any of the sports terms blush , but the story was really very sweet!!

After all, that wasn’t how they played the game. She was supposed to be slightly cool and disaffected; he was supposed to work for her attention.
lol Yep she's right laugh

Oh, I loved how excited Lois was about the game, and then Clark reaction: “Are we watching the same game?” just had me laughing out loud and :sigh: I *loved* the bet smile

-Camy

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#49910 02/20/08 07:43 AM
Columnist
Columnist
This was such a lovely fluffy story!

I loved the banter going on between these two for the whole story. Well written Lois and Clark banter is so entertaining to read!

Although my knowledge of basketball is limited to "shoot the ball in the hoop", I enjoyed this story regardless. Thanks for sharing it!

#49911 02/20/08 11:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Terrific story... and being from UT, loved the burnt orange reference... smile thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#49912 02/21/08 06:53 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Aww, that was so cute. I loved the bet and the Lois' fighting over the refs and the calls. I see a nfic sequel wink .
Kate

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
#49913 02/21/08 10:48 AM
Eva Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a treat, Jenn, what a treat.

This was a great little story. I loved the sports metaphors and the relaxed atmosphere you created. It reminded me a little of the scene in "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" before Andie Anderson goes all mental girlfriend on Benjamin Barry (gotta love those couples with alliterative names).

What I liked most was the dialog; it seemed very natural, like real, fun banter. I especially enjoy stories where Clark is portrayed as a regular guy - and him supporting his team and teasing Lois about the game was a great way to show that side of him.

Thanks for this fabulous piece of fluff. Much appreciated smile

Eva

kill a cliché, save a reader
#49914 02/21/08 11:58 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
What I loved most was that Lois kissed Clark ostensibly because he won the bet. However, in reality, she had been thinking about kissing him for a month.

Elisabeth

#49915 02/21/08 03:24 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
What a story! It's a grand slam! The dialogue is a perfect swish and the imagery splits the uprights from past midfield! It's a behind-the-back pass on a two-on-one fast break for a layup! It runs away from the field from the gate! It's quick as a pit stop and sneaky as a Brooklyn strike!

Okay, that's enough sports metaphors. I liked it a lot. It's warm and funny, it's gentle and completely in character for both of them, and best of all - from a relationship standpoint - there's no Superman to get in the way.

Maybe you could show them to us at a baseball or football game, snuggling under a blanket in the bleachers while everyone around them leaves early because it's so cold but Clark keeps them warm - maybe without telling Lois how he's doing it? Wouldn't that be a tricky revelation?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#49916 02/21/08 09:10 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Jenn,

Really cute story. thumbsup

Not being a basketball fan, or knowing much about US sports, some of the phrases went over my head.

However, you captured the snappy banter between Lois and Clark, which I loved from the show, but then I think you always do. wink

Yours Jenni

#49917 02/22/08 09:48 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderful story Jenn! I cannot believe that I missed posting on it. I read it a couple f days ago. Probably on one of my study breaks. Now what are you going to do about "Rules of..."?

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard