Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#49754 02/15/08 06:48 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
What a sweet story!
I can totally relate to Lois. Sometimes there are days or evenings, where I am just too exhausted by the day to pretend anymore.

And Clark can now, for the first time see a part of Lois, that she has never before allowed anyone to see. That's what marriage is all about.

I am so glad they have each other, to refuel, to be there when the other needs them.

Natascha (hating the fact that she is still single!)

#49755 02/15/08 06:55 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great! I love the dialogue towards the end, when Lois is taking a bath. Really sweet.

keep the waffy pieces comin'!

Cris
#49756 02/15/08 07:19 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, what a wonderfully sweet story! I loved it.
She shrugs.

I think that was wife code for ‘If I have to tell you what to do, then don't bother.’ Apparently I have to navigate this particular minefield all on my own.
thumbsup
BJ

#49757 02/15/08 07:42 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Very sweet fanfic. I like this side on Lois. smile She is just Lois at these moments. Great idea.

I am Top Banana - that's the way I like it... (Pilot - Lois Lane)
#49758 02/15/08 08:20 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh! Commenting as I read. (it's the best way. *giggles*)

Although now that I think about it, she’s impressed by pretty much any meal that requires turning on the stove, so I don’t need to try very hard. I do anyway, though, because it’s for her.
That's amusing and sweet and... aww! (yes, be prepared, I have a feeling that most of my comments will consist of "aww!")

I think that was wife code for ‘If I have to tell you what to do, then don't bother.’ Apparently I have to navigate this particular minefield all on my own.
Yeah, and you'd better not set one off, buster. Cause you're not supposed to be "like other men". :p

I have no idea how I survived day to day before her.
mmm... can you guess what my comment is going to be? Yes... that's it... "awww!"

I turn it off. I take one last look around the room – Candles? Burning. Water? Steaming. Bubbles? Um, bubbling.
*giggles* Ah! that is SO cute!

"Would you like me to undress you?"
*giggles* *blushes* *runs to hide under the desk before someone sees her like this*

Lois obviously isn’t in a talking mood, so I close my eyes too and tune into to a college football game on the neighbor’s radio. There are 23 seconds left in the 2nd quarter when she speaks.
AH! Clark Kent! You're not supposed to be like other guys! You should be sitting there and thinking about... god knows, something that has to do with tiles or... whatever! not listening to football and pretending you're there for your wife. razz

"Penny for your thoughts," Lois says after a few moments.
Don't listen to what he says, Lois -- I'm sure somewhere he was still thinking about the football game. Men!

*giggles*

But tonight... it's like that flame has gone out, and since that's the light I live by, I can't see well enough to help you reignite it.
Ah, darn.. that's so beautiful. *sniffles* awww!!

The end was just..hee! cute and a bit naughty and... wonderful! Great job, Lisa! I loved this. thumbsup

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#49759 02/15/08 08:47 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I loved the metaphors here. Lois is baring herself to Clark, mentally and physically. She is trusting him to undress her, gently and undemandingly, and she is trusting him to see her down and depressed and being able to be there for her. At first, he doesn't understand what it is she is really showing him. He doesn't know how to deal with her weakness, because she is the light he needs to guide him:

"But your pilot light, your Lois Lane-ness, was always lit, and all I had to do was be there while you made your way back to it. But tonight... it's like that flame has gone out, and since that's the light I live by, I can't see well enough to help you reignite it."
But he is what and who she needs in order to find her light again:

"You keep my pilot light burning, Clark. Before I met you, I ran on fear and anger and righteous indignation. You made the fear disappear. The anger and righteous indignation come back when I need them," she says with a smile, "but, mostly, you keep me going."
So lovely. What a tribute to him and the love he gives her.

And then in a second, she turns naughty and happy, full of energy and desire:

She picks my hand up again and presses a kiss into my palm. "So, evenings like this one, I come home empty and you..." She pauses for a moment and a wicked grin spreads across her face. "Fill me up."
I adore this, Lisa.

Ann

#49760 02/15/08 09:54 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
This was a very well done story. I think there are a lot of elements highlighted here, too many to just breezily compliment this as a sweet early-marriage fic. I started and ended with an "Aww", of course, but the middle hits on some fairly deep issues, and I give you credit for covering them.

My guess is that most women reading this story would be as bemused by Lois is at Clark's overreaction. *We* know that her depression isn't anything serious or long-lasting; it's just the result of some negative emotions, a headache, maybe a too heavy workload or even a certain time of the month. But for Clark, this early in their marriage, this is big and scary. She'd hidden this particular side from him before they were married (maybe not even intentionally, but just as a regular part of two busy people living separately) and now he's completely in the dark about what he's supposed to do. And it scares the hell out of him.

Lois, on the other hand, has just given Clark a gift -- the proof that she trusts him so completely, even at just a month into their marriage, to let him see her this down. And his response, in true L&C fashion, is exactly what she needs. smile

Well done, Lisa. I really enjoyed this. smile

#49761 02/15/08 10:47 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm going to have to say dito Kathy here. Lois' feelings are so familiar and I really enjoyed seeing Clark's first reactions to that. It's not easy being a woman, let alone for a man to figure us out at such a time.

Thanks for the sweet story, Lisa. smile

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#49762 02/15/08 11:05 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Aww what a guy! I love the line about wife code, that is so true.

So sweet and waffy!

#49763 02/15/08 01:22 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I really like this:

"I'm sorry. What can I do?"

She's quiet for several seconds before looking up at me. My heart almost stops when I see a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Oh, sweetheart.” I press my palm against the warm skin of her jaw and wipe the tear away with my thumb. “Is something else wrong? Please tell me.”
There is a lot of sweetness in that gesture, but I don't feel it cloying me. The entire story was a subtle exploration of intimacy, which I think is the magic of a long term relationship, after the fireworks and the butterflies there's--

The thu-thump, thu-thump of Lois's heartbeat echoes softly in my head. She’s home after all. I can’t believe I missed that when I came in.
(Because after a while you take it for granted that your loved one is simply there. *sigh* You're secure in that.)

and

usually I find her watching the news, giving Dan Rather a piece of her mind, or dancing with a broom around the living room, her Police CD turned up so loud that passersby on the street are singing along.
(Because living with someone means knowing the quirks, the embarrassing details that most people don't see--Clark makes a lot out of her admission without realizing just how much more of Lois he sees already)

Remember the aphorism, 'God is in the details'? I think love might just be in the details too.

alcyone

PS So what's else is up your sleeve?

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#49764 02/15/08 01:50 PM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
You know I love this, Lisa smile1

C.

#49765 02/15/08 04:27 PM
C
Blogger
Blogger
C
Oh this story is soo sweet and I thought it was kinda erotic too! This was just what I felt like reading today! Thank you!
Please keep writing , I love your style!

#49766 02/15/08 04:34 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Such a familiar story. None of us married Superman, and yet there are so many things that sound as if they come from the scrapbook or our own memories: wife code, hard days where you just want him to be with you (and the way his mind wanders because he doesn't want to just be there, he wants to DO SOMETHING), his fears and all of that other wonderful gooey stuff. Lovely.

Elisabeth

#49767 02/15/08 05:52 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I...loved...this.

I'm really kinda speechless, so I'll just add a ditto to some of the other wonderful comments I read through, especially the first one. It was just the perfect representation of what happens when you're just too exhausted and you have to let go. So I'm in a slightly gooey grin of Clark being able to be there for Lois while she lets go of a side of her most people don't see.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#49768 02/15/08 07:37 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lovely and Sweet! smile Especially loved the story from Clark's perspective... his panicky fear for Lois and himself .. wow!

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#49769 02/16/08 06:46 AM
Columnist
Columnist
‘If I have to tell you what to do, then don't bother.’
lol I really liked this line.

I like the way Clark is learning a whole other Lois in their marriage -a Lois who watches soap operas and loved bubbles baths.

Oh, the end was so sweet -the whole conversation and everything!

Camy

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#49770 02/16/08 09:28 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Lisa, I don't really have anything new to say, but I do want to tell you how much I loved this story. So lovely! Thanks for sharing this with us.

#49771 02/16/08 09:40 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Loved it as well!
Carol

#49772 02/16/08 10:43 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Why Mz. Lisa, this is just lovely! What a nice little vignette to distract me at work! I am a huge fan of Season 4, so I really love married fic -- when it's done properly. It takes a good understanding of Lois and Clark as people in order to properly convey how they would be as a married couple, and you do a great job of this.

She makes a noise that’s a cross between a murmur and moan, and I hope it doesn’t mean ‘get away from me.’
Ha. Has he looked in a mirror lately? Anyone who tells him to get away from her is certifiably crazy. That being said, I love that he worries about this; long gone are the days when the mere presence of Superman is enough to distract Lois from whatever she's thinking about.

This is one my favorite parts of this new thing called marriage; I come home to Lois, my friend, my wife, and I hold her, and the stress of the day escapes out my toes. I have no idea how I survived day to day before her.
I absolutely love this line. It shows how essential she is to his very being. That like Superman needs the sun, Clark needs Lois. I can see this story being set before "AKA Superman," where he confirms to her that she sustains him, as it shows that he is starting to really realize just how much truly he needs her.

She's quiet for several seconds before looking up at me. My heart almost stops when I see a tear rolling down her cheek.
This, plus this ...

Lois leans her forehead against my chest and I put my arms around her to unsnap her bra.
... seriously had me wondering if she was either sick or pregnant. She seems so weak and lifeless.

"Really? I'm..." I'm at a loss for words. Lois watches soap operas. I never would’ve bet money on that one.
This cracked me up, especially how he trails off in disbelief. And I can totally see Lois doing that, too. Not that I ever do it myself or anything. wink

It takes a long time to fill a bathtub, and there isn't a single thing I can do to speed it up.
This is a great detail about Superman as the most powerful man on earth versus Clark as Lois' husband.

This is the first time I've ever undressed her when it wasn't a prelude to love making. I wonder if she's thinking about that, too.
I love that, too. It's sensual, but subtle. The way you write it shows both the love and the lust that he feels for her. And you play it just right because now wouldn't be the time for him to be getting all hot and bothered over taking her clothes off.

Before I met you, I ran on fear and anger and righteous indignation. You made the fear disappear. The anger and righteous indignation come back when I need them," she says with a smile, "but, mostly, you keep me going."
I appreciate that she acknowledges that she hasn't totally changed -- that she can still be angry and indignant; which he loves -- but that he has helped take away some of her pain.

And the ending is adorable. I love that with his super reflexes, she is still able to pull him into the bathtub before he knows what's happening.

This was just wonderful. clap I look forward to your next story!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
#49773 02/16/08 02:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well I thought Lois was PMSing<g> It sounds like she is. But it must be the right before to let Clark undress her and get in a tub. Interesting. We never think about that time of the month in a Lois and Clark fic. This isn't by any means blatant about it but it does raise the thought. Very sweet story. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard