Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Squee! You posted it!

Well, you know how much I enjoyed this story. It was a fun idea when you started bouncing ideas off me several weeks ago, but with your magic touch, you've polished it into an absolute delight. Not only do you reunite Alt-Clark and his Lois, but you find a way for Rose to get back to the Doctor!

I love all the parallels between the two couples you've sprinkled throughout the story -- the hand-holding, the lonely hero, the age difference. You know I'm not a big fan of the "Clark ages slowly" theory, but in this case, it makes perfect sense, as a way to compare the Lois/Clark bond with the Rose/Doctor bond. I especially liked Lois's response to Clark's worry about her reaction to his age. As Rose would say, "That's one hell of an age gap!", but just like it doesn't matter to Rose (what's 900 years between friends *g*), it wouldn't matter to Lois either.

(And maybe this Clark will find some way to give up some of his lifeforce in this universe, like our Clark did in "Brutal Youth" , so he'll be able to spend the rest of his life with his Lois, not just a small fraction of it. If not, well, he and the Doctor can always hang out for a few more centuries. And then there's Jack ... oh, man, I can only think of what Jack would make of Clark. I think Clark would spend the next hundred years blushing, LOL!)

Great job, B. I now get to enjoy your talents in all three of the fandoms we share, which makes me very, very happy! clap

Kathy

Features Writer
Features Writer
I know nothing about Dr Who, but I loved it! It was poignant, but at some points made me chuckle (I'm thinking of all the comic book stuff and especially when Lois is trying to oggle Clark). I didn't have any trouble following it--the extra info was all I needed and I wasn't weighed down by it either. I have zilch time, so I'll be back. Really great stuf!

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, this was great!

Rose's universe was perfectly tied in with L&C's story. It's an interesting take on Lois's disappearance.

And how unexpected that Bernie was one of the bad guys. Quite a departure from the character we know.

Crossovers are hard, but this was perfectly tied in and equally incorporated everyone. Loved it. smile

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, fascinating! I'm not normally a fan of crossovers, but when you bring in DW, and it's Rose, and she's being clever and investigating and kicking arse and generally being amazing... yes!

Loved this:
Her gaze was searching, full of either natural skepticism or pure incredulity. It was almost as if the woman were trying to see through Clark’s outer appearance to find someone she wasn’t sure existed inside. Rose recognized the look and wondered at it. It hadn’t been so long ago that she’d done the same thing herself, trying to look past the new face and voice of the regenerated Doctor to see if her Doctor still existed.
because it's so perfectly Rose and the Doctor as well as Lois and Clark. So true.

And the idea of Lois and Clark as companions on the TARDIS... oh, Jack and Clark (and Lois) would be hilarious. goofy

This needs a sequel. Kathy has told you that, right? It also needs to be posted on A Teaspoon and an Open Mind . All right? wink

Wendy (wmr/wendymr in Who fandom) smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kerth
Kerth
Oh VERY nice - wonder what the Daleks or The Master might make of Clark, and what Martha or Donna will have to say if Rose reappears...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
To use the British phrase, that was brilliant!

Oh, I sooo want to see a part two (and three and four) to this.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for all of the lovely feedback. FoLCs and DW fans are very sophisticated writers, so to know that you enjoyed it is a great compliment.

Kathy, thanks for your help during the earlier stages (especially helping me research the Void ship) and also for the lovely feedback here on the mbs.
oh, man, I can only think of what Jack would make of Clark. I think Clark would spend the next hundred years blushing
LOL! It would make a hilarious scenario, but I don't think I'm quite ready to write a story with Jack in it. Maybe we can persuade Wendy...

Alcyone said:
I know nothing about Dr Who, but I loved it
Thanks for letting me know you liked it. I knew it was heavy on the DW references, so I'm very happy to see you could still enjoy it. Oh, ogling Clark was one of my favorite parts, too. wink

Julie, thanks for the feedback regarding the things you enjoyed. Putting the two universes together was fun.
And how unexpected that Bernie was one of the bad guys
laugh The idea of using Dr. Klein as a bad guy hit me while I was driving cross country a couple of weeks ago. I cackled to myself and started scheming.

Wendy,
when you bring in DW, and it's Rose, and she's being clever and investigating and kicking arse and generally being amazing... yes!
I agree. The similarities between the Doctor and Clark were what hooked me into writing a crossover story in the first place, but the similarities between Rose and Lois made it so much fun to write.
I could just imagine Clark's reaction - and Lois's indignation - the first time Jack made a pass at Clark. Or at both of them, as he would, of course
LOL! And they'd all get tired of the Doctor saying "Stop it..." huh

James, thanks for the compliment. As for a sequel, I won't commit to anything, but will entertain the idea if the muse strikes (hard). If anyone else is attacked by plot bunnies and would like to carry on the story, please do. I'd be thrilled to read it. wink

BJ

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Needless to say, she was not amused.
smile

“I’ll be two-hundred thirty-one next February.”
Hello! Old CK. But I'll bet he's still hot. laugh

Yay, Lois is alive and well! But it looks like she is going to have to go forward in time when she returns to her world if she's going to be with Clark. Skipping 150 years will be odd!

It had been decades, maybe even a century, since anyone had held his hand.
Oh! *sniffle*

Directly in front of her stood Dr. Bernard Klein holding said green crystal in one hand while he trained the muzzle of a gun directly at her head.
goofy

“Think giant bat-like creatures called Reapers appearing to devour all forms of life until the entire world disappears.”

“That sounds pretty bad,” Lois agreed.
Just what I was thinking! Wonderful understatement.

They're going to meet the Doctor - what a great ending. What a great story!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lisa, thanks for the wonderful comments.
I must admit ignorance here; what is a Satsuma?
Satsuma is the English name for a Mikan/Mandarin Orange. Using it in the story was a reference to Doctor Who.

In the DW episode "The Christmas Invasion", a newly regenerated Tenth Doctor used a satsuma to defeat the Sycorax leader. My first thought was to use a banana (as a salute to Woody as well as a reference to the DW epi "The Doctor Dances"), but felt the satsuma worked better.

BJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, BJ, I was inspired...

A FanFic Poster

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Wow. A successful L&C/Dr. Who crossover. I must admit, I harbored doubts that it could be done well. But I was wrong.

Actually, I wasn't wrong. It wasn't done well. It was done brilliantly. I loved the idea of using Bernie as the sort-of bad guy (although if he'd really been bad, wouldn't he have shot someone?). And the immediate link between Clark and Lois isn't usually my cup of tea (Earl Grey, hot), but in this story it fits perfectly. Loved the resourceful and confident Rose (what would Doctor do?) in resolving the bad guy situation. And, like Marcus, I wonder what Martha and Donna will do when Rose shows up with this invulnerable guy. And since Jack is apparently the Face of Bo, will Clark live a very long time also? Such a lovely bunch of sequel possibilities!

I've been a fan of Dr. Who ever since I saw the old episodes on Saturday night PBS broadcasts back in the 80's. My favorite of the older Doctors was Jon Pertwee, but I think David Tennant may be the best ever. (My wife likes him too, but she still thinks Tom Baker was the best.)

You know, if another of these very nice crossovers popped up on the boards, I think I'd probably take a quick look at it, you know, just to see if it's as good as this one is.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
Nice. I actually like crossovers, but reading them you get burned a lot. It's hard to one well, and a lot of people who try don't seem to get rules to making a good one.

Lois and Clark crossovers are even harder because Clark is so much more powerful than characters from other shows that there is very little he actually needs from them.

This was a nice little vignette. You kept things balancd, added in some nice bits (Rose's excitement about being able to travel diminsions), drew parallels between the two couples and kept the story going without the exposition slowing things down too incredibly much.

Keep up the good work.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I adored this little vignette. Being a huge Dr Who fan (and of course a huge Lois and Clark fan!), this was a wonderful story to read. I loved how Clark and Lois were around each other and also the fact that Rose will be able to get back to the Doctor! Squeeeeee! hyper

I too would love to read more either in this story or simply along the lines of a LnC and Doctor Who crossover...

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Look what happens when I go home for the weekend and don't check the boards for a few days. More feedback! Yay!

James, I left you feedback on the poster in the other folder, but can I just say how thrilling it was to have someone enjoy the story enough to make a FFP for it? It's awesome (both the work you did and the feeling it gave me). Thank you so much. notworthy

Terry,
I loved the idea of using Bernie as the sort-of bad guy (although if he'd really been bad, wouldn't he have shot someone?)
Thanks. I didn't think I'd seen that happen before, so I was pretty pleased with how that turned out. Although my Bernie was corruptable, I still couldn't make him *that* bad. So I made him a bungling villian.
And, like Marcus, I wonder what Martha and Donna will do when Rose shows up with this invulnerable guy. And since Jack is apparently the Face of Bo, will Clark live a very long time also? Such a lovely bunch of sequel possibilities!
There you go. Now you know what to keep yourself busy with as soon as you're finished with "Further on Down the Road". wink

You kept things balancd, added in some nice bits (Rose's excitement about being able to travel diminsions), drew parallels between the two couples and kept the story going without the exposition slowing things down too incredibly much
Thanks Shayne. I tend toward heavy narration, so I'm glad it didn't bog the story down. I'm also totally geeked out that you (and other LnC writers I admire) liked my little story. jump Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Anna,
I loved how Clark and Lois were around each other and also the fact that Rose will be able to get back to the Doctor!
laugh Thanks. I love to read (and write) about Lois and Clark interacting as well. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

BJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Looks like a him – located him passed out in that alley around from that place you like, the one with the good chips. He’s a right nutter, though. Get this; he thinks he’s Superman.”
I’ve wondered and wondered - ever since that one Geico commercial - what ever in the world “chips” are. Are those like French fries or something? I know they aren’t the same thing as potato chips.

“Can’t tonight. I’ve got plans with Martha.
As in the Martha from Dr. Who? I think that was her name anyway. I do watch Dr. Who on occasion, but I’m not overly familiar with it lately because I usually have to work when it’s on and I’m too tired when I come home to watch so I just stopped recording it. And that’s probably more than you wanted to know, but anyway, wasn’t Rose’s “replacement” named Martha?

He thought that one day, the pain of losing the Doctor would lessen and then she would start to live again.
But sometimes the pain never goes away, does it?

He held fast to her heart the way he’d always held her hand and he probably always would.
That’s so beautiful.

They were a rich brown color and held the same depth of loneliness as the Doctor’s.
Awww....

“You’re at the Torchwood Institute at Canary Warf in London, England. England is just off the European continent on the planet Earth, also known as Gaia or Terra. We’re the third planet in a solar system of eight located on an outer spiral of the Milky Way galaxy.”

“I thought there were nine planets?”

“Used to be, but Pluto was demoted to dwarf planet a few years back.
LOL... Yeah that could be confusing to a person, eh?

Xthlaxians
As in Ex-Lax? Or are there really Xthlaxians on Dr. Who? Either way, it’s pretty funny...

“I’ll be two-hundred thirty-one next February.”
Maybe not an alternate dimension - from another time. Oops... Nope, both.

“344 Clinton Avenue, Metropolis, New Troy, USA.”
Oh, boy. Clark’s been living there a LONG time.

The first time I know of was in 1995 when an evil man named Tempus brought Lois Lane from another dimension into my world.
Ah-ha! This is alt-Clark.

Lois started in surprise at the question. Opening her eyes, she looked at Dr. Klein. His head was bent close over the open casing, mini-soldering iron in hand.
I think I see where this is going. If it’s going like I think, I like it!

“I know you’re curious about how you ended up being a fictional character here, but you probably shouldn’t have watched the entire Superman marathon last weekend.”
Wouldn’t that be something? To find out that you are really nothing more than a fictional being?

As if being transported instantly to another continent and losing eighteen years hadn’t been bad enough, it hadn’t taken long to figure out she’d lost her identity to a comic book character.
Poor Lois!

She held on to his hand for a little more than a minute, until a technician in a lab coat approached to ask her a question, but to Clark it felt like a lifetime. It had been decades, maybe even a century, since anyone had held his hand.
Oh, that’s just so sad.

“It’s amazing really,” Dr. Klein said, shaking his head. “You’re as blind as he said you’d be. Actually, I think galactically stupid were his exact words.”
Bad man, Dr. Klein. Bad, Dr. Klein. Bad.

Rose pounced immediately, hitting a pressure point on his neck to knock him out cold.
Darn. And here I was hoping the ‘blob’ was going to get him. Well, at least it got the kryptonite.

“Tricked through a time window by Tempus in the year 2197.”

“If you’re from 2197, how do you know Perry? Are you a time traveler too?”
What? Did Tempus suddenly decide to be a nice guy and put them together? Or did he not realize that there would be a time lag in the world he sent them both to?

Such a nice story, BJ. I love it when alt-Clark finds his Lois.

having an invulnerable traveling companion around might just take a bit of the fear out of dealing with the Daleks
But would Clark be invulnerable to the Daleks? What happens if he touched one? If I understand it correctly, wouldn’t their DNA evolve? And then they could be quite dangerous to Clark, couldn’t they?

Skipping 150 years will be odd!
I think I read another story where Tempus had transported Lois far into the future (same universe).

You know, if another of these very nice crossovers popped up on the boards, I think I'd probably take a quick look at it, you know, just to see if it's as good as this one is.
I’d still love to see Wendy do one. And I’d like to see you do a sequel, BJ. Great story.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nancy, thanks for the lovely feedback. What a treat!
I’ve wondered and wondered - ever since that one Geico commercial - what ever in the world “chips” are
Similar to french fries - wiki describes them as slab-cut potatoes.
As in the Martha from Dr. Who?
Yes, that was an oblique mention to the Doctor's S3 companion, Martha Jones. Just another one of those secret Doctor Who handshake kind of references...
As in Ex-Lax? Or are there really Xthlaxians on Dr. Who
LOL lol It was supposed to be a made-up, nonsense word, but you make funnier.
Oh, boy. Clark’s been living there a LONG time.
smile Kathy said the same thing. She thinks his block must have gone condo or something. Or if you like, the Superman foundation bought out the entire block and he lives in the penthouse of the new office building built in the same spot. Yeah, that's it. I'll go with that. wink
What? Did Tempus suddenly decide to be a nice guy and put them together? Or did he not realize that there would be a time lag in the world he sent them both to?
Hmm. Well, I was thinking that Tempus had the time window set for that time and place because he knew Dr. Klein had the Kryptonite and figured he'd take care of Superman for him. I guess that didn't come out clearly.
I think I read another story where Tempus had transported Lois far into the future
Lost In Time by ML Thompson. I absolutely adore that one.
And I’d like to see you do a sequel, BJ.
Erm. Yeah. Plot bunnies have been attacking this weekend, but not for this one. I'm still holding out for a Wendy crossover, but in the meantime, check out Marcus' story Arrival uploaded to the archive this weekend. It's a lovely Doctor Who/LnC crossover vignette.

Thanks again for the comments. They brought a smile to my face. laugh
BJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm still holding out for a Wendy crossover
Oh, I don't do crossovers goofy Having said that, a long time ago I did write a crack-ish L&C/Doctor Who/EastEnders crossover, with the Fourth Doctor. It's called At Wit's End in the East End and it is actually on the archive.

But, no, not gonna happen.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard