Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49396 02/02/08 09:38 AM
alcyone Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'm glad this is back. I've been silently despairing the little activity on the boards wink

I liked the interaction between Lois and Clark, but more than that I'm really caught up in this trauma of Clark's where he's constantly marking himself as different. I wonder how Lois is going to help him through that.

I also sympathized a lot with the Kents and it made a lot of sense to me that they would have decided to give Clark to the authorities, even if that turned out to be a mistake. I find that really plausible and felt really bad for them that it turned out how it did.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#49397 02/02/08 11:34 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Yay! I guess nagging does some good, huh?

I'm so glad to see more of this, and I'm so happy that Clark finally met the Kents!

I agree with alcyone that it's very interesting how Clark always feels the need to set himself apart from other people. Of course having a Clark who refuses to acknowledge his differences isn't a good thing either, but that part when he's wondering if he even loves like humans was so sad! And I love how Lois is so adamant about Clark's humanity. And how she seems so open with Clark. Sure, she's still the typical Lois with all her hang-ups and that, but she's willing to trust Clark in a way that she couldn't in the show. Maybe because Clark's upbringing was so different? That he is definitely not the typical male?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more!

#49398 02/02/08 11:44 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ah - but does Clark know it's a good thing to not be a typical male?

I still love this Alisha!!

/me stares impatiently at her inbox for part 9 even though she only sent part 8 back like 10 minutes ago and then gloats that she's seen parts 7 and 8 wink
Carol

#49399 02/02/08 01:38 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Hurray! Specimen is back. Even better, it sounds like more parts are on the way.

Elisabeth

#49400 02/02/08 03:09 PM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I just sneaked online to see if anyone had noticed and/or cared that a new part of Specimen was up - and was happy to see that I have at least three readers left! (Sorry Carol, as my beta and the person privy to the next few parts, you don't count, but do you realise that this is the first fdk you've left me? wink )

alcyone, this whole fic stemmed from the thought 'What would really happen if a couple found a baby in a field...?'

Beth, I know it's sad that Clark sees himself as different, but this Clark hasn't had the Kents' unconditional love and support, just a bunch of scientists telling him he's not human. I can't imagine that being a huge boost to his confidence!

Carol, be a little patient with part 9. It's practically ready to be sent, but I've had a last minute change of heart and it's currently being edited slightly.

Elisabeth, thanks for your enthusiasm! Yes, as Carol can verify, I have been busy working on the story even if I haven't been busy posting anything! My apologies again for the extra-long Christmas break. laugh

#49401 02/02/08 03:33 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
EEP!!!

How could I not have left actual FDK!?!?

/me promises to leave extra in part 9 when she gets it and thanks Alisha for her beta job as well...

#49402 02/02/08 06:46 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like others have pointed out, one of the most fascinating and heartbreaking things about this chapter is how Clark sets himself apart from humanity. But honestly, is it any wonder that he does? He has been raised as a "specimen", and he knows for a fact that he is physically different from humans because of his superhuman physical powers. With his upbringing and undeniable physical differences, how can he not think that he is not a part of humanity? I would go so far as to say that this is a perfect case where we can study the effects of nature versus nurture - Clark's nature is what it is, but how does Martha and Jonathan's nurture affect him compared with the nurture he got from fearful and greedy scientists and militaries? But of course poor Clark has been studied so much already that he should be spared from further studies!

[Linked Image]

This is a picture of two young Indian sisters who were born in the very early twentieth century. This is what Wikipedia tells about their story:

There is little scientific knowledge about feral children. One very useful source is the detailed diaries of Reverend Singh who, in 1920, discovered Amala and Kamala in a forest in India, two girls who appeared to have been brought up from birth by wolves. They were taken to an orphanage and the struggle to 'humanise the animals' began. Amala, who was one and a half years old when found, died a year later of a kidney infection, and Kamala, who was eight, survived until 1929 before dying of typhoid fever- only in her latter years beginning to speak a few words, stand up, and relate to other humans.

Other sources[2] claim that Amala and Kamala were born mentally and physically disabled. The parents who did not wish to care for them, or lacked the resources to do so, left the two girls in the forest where Reverend Singh discovered them while hunting. Even after claiming them as his own, he still sent them to the orphanage to act as wolves for locals in order to raise money for the orphanage in its financial need.
These girls may or may not have been true "feral children", raised by wild animals - but whether or not they were, it seems certain that if you were raised isolated from other humans and treated as if you were not human yourself, that is going to have a huge impact on you for the rest of your life. Of course, unlike the poor Indian girls, Clark always had at least one human caretaker (or guard) with him, and he was not retarded. But if anyone can convince this Clark that he is truly human in spite of his undeniable "alien-ness", it is Lois! And Martha and Jonathan. I, too, like how they felt guilty, and I, too, agree that if they had really found a spaceship with a baby inside, they would of course have handed the baby over to the "proper" authorities. How many of us wouldn't have?

This is really fascinating! I'm very much looking forward to more.

Ann

#49403 02/03/08 03:11 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
aww i loved the kiss. I even love that he's feeling guilty for giving it. He is just so cute when he is confused.

More more more!!

Lois: Clark, you don't have to be embarrassed. That's what friends are for. Just tell me how much.
Clark: Lois, I want you to go out with me!
#49404 02/03/08 12:01 PM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Yay, more feedback! smile1

Hi Ann, that's a really sad story about the feral children. Luckily, Clark's a lot better off than they were!

Hi Emma, thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're still reading!

- Alisha

#49405 02/04/08 07:51 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay! Specimen is back!! looking fwd to Lois' and Clark's stubbornness smile thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#49406 02/05/08 09:46 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Thanks AnKS. I'm glad people are happy to have Specimen back - I was worried that people may have lost interest in the story, but it appears that they haven't!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard