Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49377 02/01/08 01:52 PM
StarKat Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Poor Clark, no friends, no memories, in a world that's been torn apart! This looks like the start of a great fic! I can't wait to see where you take it.

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#49378 02/01/08 03:43 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I am beyond intrigued. I'll definitely be coming back to read your updates.

I really like the melancholy feel of this story (indeed, how could it be anything but melancholy?) as well as your great use of detail, like this one:

He passed a church with one door hanging only by the lower hinges
Great job.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#49379 02/01/08 07:41 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow. I love the premise of the story and you've written a beautiful beginning. So many things make me wonder about what will come next, like the fact that from the very first lines, we know that Lois is in trouble, but Clark can't find her.
A woman with deep brown eyes and wonderfully soft brown hair. Oddly for a dream, he could even smell her scent and hear her breathing and heartbeat. A pleasant image, but made terrible by the certain knowledge that she was in trouble, she needed him, and he was not able to help.
That's essence of Clark, right there. Could he have made his way from San Francisco to Metropolis (at least where it used to be) and can now hear her heartbeat from deep in the earth, trapped in Luthor's Ark?

I'm wondering about the men that shot at Clark. I'm making an assumption that it's been less than three years since 'Impact', because that's what Lex says in ASU, that he has provisions for three years. So, if it's only been a few years, wouldn't those men remember Superman? Wouldn't they at least wonder if the bullets didn't hurt him because he's Kryptonian, rather than a mutant?

I'm mourning Martha and Jonathan, for Perry and Jimmy. I don't know for sure if they died, but it seems likely. WHAMmy indeed. mecry

I agree with Lisa - the details are great, as well as the imagery. Sorry to quote the whole ending, but I could picture the whole thing, including tuxedo-guy's ill-timed victory dance just before the shockwave hits.
Looking up, he saw a line of bluish smoke across the sky. Much larger than a jet contrail, he guessed it was from the asteroid entering the Earth's atmosphere and passing overhead. He began to wonder when and where exactly it was projected to hit and at that moment, as if the thought made reality, he felt a great cracking sound in both body and mind.

Those on the streets looked about or hung their heads. The sound of prayers, crying and the drunken revels all ceased with nervous expectation. The gunfire stopped. For several moments, there was no sound, save for the distinctive crackling and popping sounds of the flames from the burning buildings.

Then a drunken man in a tuxedo, of all things, started a small dance on a street corner and yelled, “It missed! It missed! Who needs a Superduperman? It missed! It missed!”

Was it possible? Had the Nightfall asteroid passed by and spared them all?

And then the shockwave hit, sweeping him, the people, the buildings and all away.
That said, I can hardly wait for the next post. I love this.
BJ

#49380 02/01/08 08:37 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
He woke from a anguished sleep, troubled by nightmares. He remembered little of his dreams; he never did. The only image that ever lingered was the face of a beautiful woman. A woman with deep brown eyes and wonderfully soft brown hair. Oddly for a dream, he could even smell her scent and hear her breathing and heartbeat. A pleasant image, but made terrible by the certain knowledge that she was in trouble, she needed him, and he was not able to help. He knew that for a fact, dream or not. He loved her, she had needed him, and he failed her. Those impressions were the sum total he could garner from his dreams.

The dreams he had experienced in fitful rests ever since the day the world had ended.
Wow, what a powerful opening. The world has ended. And Clark - because it has to be him, of course - is thinking so much of Lois, although he can't remember her name, or who she is at all. But he knows that she is in trouble and that he ahsn't been able to find her or help her. And he knows one more thing: he loves her.

So starkly melancholy, sad, horrible and beautiful. Clark suffers from complete amnesia:

If he knew just where he was, he'd have a better idea of what was normal weather for the area.

If he could remember who he was, he'd have a better idea of what to do.
He doesn't remember that heused to be Superman, and he doesn't understand that he still has powers. That shooting incident was horrifying and full of an underlying menace that didn't have much to do with the isolated incident in itself:

A open military-style Jeep containing four men stopped to his left, and all but the driver pointed weapons at him. He felt amazement at the fact that they had fuel enough to operate the Jeep, rather than any fear from facing drawn weapons.

“Give us any food you have. Any tools or knives, too. Now!”

He turned his attention to the guns as the driver now pulled out a weapon from where it had been stored beneath the seat, and wondered why they hadn't fired first and then simply stripped his body. Perhaps they worried about damaging any possible useful items he carried.

“I have nothing on me,” he replied. “My pocketknife is back at my camp.” He gestured in a direction well away from where his shelter was actually located.

Their apparent leader sneered. “Then you're of no use. Kill him.”
Have people like these taken over as civilization has faltered? What has happened to the world?

With no change of expression, something he'd have thought impossible of anyone about to kill another person, three of the four men opened fire. Shots rang out, and he grasped at his chest. He was prepared to stagger and fall, but failed to do so after feeling only slight stings. He felt small bits of metal slide down from where he'd been hit in the chest, but nothing else. No blood.

Why were they shooting him with bb guns? He looked up incredulously, thinking this some sort of macabre joke. He was surprised to see all four staring at him in wonder. One of the four fired again, with the pellet hitting him on his bare right arm. It had no more effect than before; it stung, but did no real damage.
Clark does not understand why their guns don't hurt him. He can only assume that their guns were just toys.

“It ain't no bulletproof vest, Doug! I hit him square in the beef on his arm!” exclaimed the shooter. All four men in the Jeep stared at him with expressions of awe, surprise and terror, as he remained puzzled at their bizarre actions. Trying to kill someone with a child's toy?

“He's some kinda mutant! A freakin' mutant!” the leader exclaimed. “Get us the hell out of here!”
Are there mutants out there for real, or have these disgusting gangsters just seen too many horror movies?

The Jeep spun its wheels, kicking up sods of soil from the prairie. The driver accelerated away quickly, while the other three held their weapons pointed at him. He could see a variety of emotions on their faces as they dwindled in size. The Jeep followed the course of the river downstream, and he grimaced. If this was indicative of the reception he'd receive at town, for surely a settlement of some sort lay ahead, then it was not for him. Shaking his head at the extremely odd behavior of his foolish assailants, he turned back upstream. Solitude was preferable to the company of that sort. Perhaps they'd been driven mad by Impact.
And because of this, Clark is going to continue his solitary existence.

Let me just say that I find it highly likely that Clark wouldn't be able to stop that asteroid. After all, the asteroid is coming at the Earth because it is being pulled at by the entire mass of the Sun, and the Sun contains about 330,000 times more mass than the Earth! And Superman is supposed to counteract that? He is supposed to apply a stronger force on it than the gravitational pull of the Sun?

And if he manages to do that, the asteroid is supposed to withstand the stress of two such mighty counteracting forces? Astronomers believe that most asteroids are loose collections of pieces that have collided and stuck together. But the gravity of an asteroid is puny, so its ability to itself together is not great at all. No wonder it broke apart when Superman tried to stop it! And no wonder Clark was knocked unconscious by the supreme effort it would have taken to try to stop that many miles wide chunk of rock from rolling down the "gravity well" caused by the Sun and continuing straight in the path of the Earth. Honestly, the idea of Superman doing something like that is like an ant trying to stop a boulder from rolling down a hill and colliding with an ant-hill!

Well, I'm so looking forward to the rest of this! You have really captured my imagination.

Ann

#49381 02/02/08 03:37 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I've always believed that Clark's amnesia in "All Shook Up" was due in part to the tremendous impact against Nightfall, partly due to his shock at failing to destroy all of it, and partly because he expended so much energy in getting to and hitting the thing in the first place. Because his suit was completely burned off during re-entry, but because any physical injuries he sustained were healed by the time that homeless guy found him, his powers (or at least his aura) had to have been suppressed for the moment. So maybe a lack of oxygen to his brain also contributed to his loss of memory.

Enough dry technical stuff! This is an excellent beginning, one which promises so much more. The suggestion that maybe Lois is down in Lex's "ark" is intriguing, not in the least because she might despair of Superman's return if they stay down there for the three years (which is what Lex said he had provisions for). And the way this is going, it might take that long for Clark to regain his memory. Of course, if she is down there, she's alive, but she's also at Lex's mercy, the quality of which is quite strained at the best of times.

As for the "soldiers" in the Jeep, I suspect they're part of a larger gang of former military who've taken over a base and killed or co-opted all the officers. Or, maybe an officer went rogue after the chain of command was disrupted and decided to become his own local warlord. In either case, the men (and some women, surely) would roam the countryside looking for supplies and occasionally killing their robbery victims. This is the kind of thing that has happened throughout history when an army disintegrates. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the US is one of the more stable regions in the world.

That asteroid fragment would probably have touched off a global cooling which would bring back the glaciers in the Northern hemisphere, at least in the short term. Remember, if you will, that the volcano Tambora, which blew up in the fall of 1815 with a force of a hundred Mount St. Helens, caused a global drop in temperature which led to 1816 being termed "The Year Without A Summer" in both Europe and America. The cold weather caused food riots in many major European cities and led to reforms in the social safety nets, and it also caused hundreds of New England farms to fail and forced thousands to move west to warmer climates. Tens of thousands died of starvation and exposure, and this event changed the course of American and European history.

So something like the Nightfall fragment would be even more disastrous. Society would fragment and slowly re-establish itself in small pockets, but large areas would have no law or order within them save for the aforementioned roving heavily armed bandits.

This is truly an apocalyptic vision you're giving us. It's not just chilling, it's all too possible. And without Superman to lend a stabilizing influence, there's no telling just how bad it might get.

I hope Luthor has lots of guns and ammunition in that bunker of his. I have a feeling he's going to need it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#49382 02/02/08 07:46 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Remember, if you will, that the volcano Tambora, which blew up in the fall of 1815 with a force of a hundred Mount St. Helens, caused a global drop in temperature which led to 1816 being termed "The Year Without A Summer" in both Europe and America. The cold weather caused food riots in many major European cities and led to reforms in the social safety nets, and it also caused hundreds of New England farms to fail and forced thousands to move west to warmer climates. Tens of thousands died of starvation and exposure, and this event changed the course of American and European history.
How fascinating! I had never heard about this, Terry. *goes to look up more details and returns Kevin's FDK thread to the subject at hand*

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#49383 02/02/08 08:57 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
The information about the Tambora volcano was fascinating, Terry. I checked Wikipedia and came across this climate change estimate:

[Linked Image]

As you can see, there appears to be a steep, sharp drop in temperature in what could well be 1816. Note, however, that the 1600s and 1700s were generally colder, certainly in Northern Europe. I have heard quite a lot about "The Little Ice Age" of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, but I had never heard of 1816 before. Well, a sudden sharp drop might cause a lot of devastation, I'm sure.

Anyway, if a three-mile-wide asteroid crashed on the Earth, surely the global temperature effects would be a lot worse than those of 1816? And they would probably last a lot longer, too.

Ann

#49384 02/02/08 09:36 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh I love post-Apocalyptic. Like others have mentioned the descriptions were on point. The image of the drunken man stayed with me and people being scared enough to lash out irrationally.

I remembered a novel I read recently called The Road by Comac McCarthy (btw the award winning No Country for Old Men was adapted from his novel).

I'm looking forward to what happens next!

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#49385 02/02/08 04:06 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
To my knowledge, from heavy reading of other fanfic, this idea has not been explored. My apologies if it has and I missed your story; I have no desire to step on anyone's toes!
In this fandom we encourage different people to explore the same ideas in different ways, just as long as credit is properly issued.

I'll take notes as I read. An intriguing intro. Perhaps Nightfall didn't go as we saw it? Clark landed someplace else and wasn't entirely able to save the earth? (Oh, duh! Of course that's what it is. I just reread the title.)

Like all good intros, you've left us wanting more.

Elisabeth

#49386 02/02/08 11:42 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

Just found your story, and, at first, was amazed by the similarity to the start of my fic The Forgotten, but after the first paragraph they parted company in a very big way. Apart from the fact that Clark has amnesia. wink

This is a really good, atmospheric beginning. Clark's misery was very tangible and I could picture the state of the country.

I enjoyed it very much and look forward to reading the rest. smile

Yours Jenni

#49387 02/06/08 01:57 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Super cool plot... hmm, so I hope Lois is in Lex's ark... or maybe she was lucky enough to have survived on her own. Looking forward to more... thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard