Next Thread
Print Thread
#49253 01/24/08 04:08 PM
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Interesting premise. I hope you finish it. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#49254 01/24/08 04:39 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That was very moving, Elisabeth. Unlike Laura, I felt that your fic was finished. The impression I got is that this man was actually brought back to the land of the living by Lois Lane's, or make that Ultrawoman's, borrowed solar-charged aura. Since you are religious but I am not, although I'm very interested in religion, I don't know what references you are comfortable about me making. Nevertheless, the idea that Lois "revived" this man without even realizing it, reminds me of the story from Luke 8:43-49. A woman who is suffering from constant bleeding touches Jesus' clothes, and she is immediately healed. But of course, unlike Lois here whose mere presence brought Edgar Banneret back to life, Jesus noticed what happened when the woman became healed through touching his clothing. I know, of course, that you are not suggesting that Lois is in any way like Jesus, but there is some sort of similarity between the two events, nevertheless.

One of the things that I sometimes asked myself when I read my "kid-i-fied" Biblical stories, was what it would be like to have been dead and to have been brought back to life by Jesus. What was it like to be the daughter of Jairus, and to have been dead but to have become alive again? I actually wondered even more about Lazarus, because his story was so weird, and he seemed even "deader" than Jairus' daughter, but even so he was still brought back to life. Would everything in Lazarus's life be just the way it had been before he died, or would everything look, sound, smell and taste completely different? That's why I found these words by Edgar Banneret moving:

"It's hard to explain, but ever since I died things have been different for me. I can sense things that I never sensed before. It's like I can hear things that other people can't hear, and I can see things like I've never seen before, and I can smell and taste and feel things like I've never felt before. And then there's this intangible sense that I can see people for who they really are.
It's fascinating that Edgar Banneret wouldn't say that he knew that Clark is Superman, because whether or not he is "Superman" is not the point. The point is that Clark has an aura of protection, and that Edgar Banneret can see it, or sense it. And it is a beneficial aura, an aura of blessing even, and Banneret knows that Clark uses it to do good. And Lois had exactly the same kind of aura that night when she brought Edgar Banneret back to life. Edgar Banneret knows who both of them are. That's beautiful.

(One more religious reference... I can't resist. Stewart Swagger, the leader of the weird religious cult. I rather doubt that you were intending to make anyone think about Jimmy Swaggart, swaggering but discredited TV preacher. Well, I was thinking of him.)

Fascinating and beautiful vignette, Elisabeth.

Ann

EDIT: Oh, by the way, there is one more Biblical reference that would be appropriate here. I'm thinking of Matthew 17:1-2. Jesus is transfigured before the eyes of Peter, James and John. Jesus' face shines like the sun, and his clothes become dazzlingly white. That's a lot like Edgar Banneret seeing an aura of power surrounding first Lois and then Clark.

#49255 01/24/08 06:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Edgar swallowed, and then sharply inhaled. The words that came out were mumbled, but Clark's keen sense of hearing had no trouble making out the words. "I know who you are."

"What?"

This time he straightened, looking Clark clearly in the eye for the first time. "I know who you are."

Clark looked at him, dumbfounded.

"I'm sorry I wasn't prepared for this," Edgar tossed out as he raced from the conference room and tumbled into the waiting elevator.
Ahem, one hell of a revelation! Great story.
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#49256 01/24/08 06:54 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Elisabeth! I saw you posted on here. I'm glad you're combatting the deadness. smile I've been trying to write something but I think I need to watch a few eps for some inspiration!

Still, he found her as beautiful today as she was the day he met her--probably even more so since he had fallen in love with her passion and now he was one of the sources of her passion.
Mmm.. That was a great line.

This time he straightened, looking Clark clearly in the eye for the first time. "I know who you are."

Clark looked at him, dumbfounded.

"I'm sorry I wasn't prepared for this," Edgar tossed out as he raced from the conference room and tumbled into the waiting elevator.
Interesting! Can't wait to see what this is about.

"Mr. Kent, you have that aura of power. I can see it now. And, I know who you are."
Verrrrry interesting. I enjoyed this! I wish you'd have finished the first story, because it sounds like a fascinating idea, but this was a great read on its own.

Man, it feels good to read and leave feedback on a L and C story again. Thanks for writing this!

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#49257 01/24/08 09:00 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Very interesting premise - while normal people seem to be completely fooled by Clark, there have to be differences. I've often wondered what he'd look like to a dolphin using sonar, or smell like to a dog, let alone the weird electrical senses of things like sharks. There do seem to be people with rudimentary versions of these senses and other weird abilities, maybe he's just really lucky they aren't more common.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#49258 01/25/08 06:26 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
This is really interesting, Elisabeth, and I'm glad you posted it! I found myself at the end wanting to know more, but at the same time, I do think it can stand alone as a vignette. I liked how it started so normally and then built to such a mysterious climax.

Still, he found her as beautiful today as she was the day he met her--probably even more so since he had fallen in love with her passion and now he was one of the sources of her passion.
Awww. I love this.

"There was no rifling. Maybe I perused a little, but I never rifled."
rotflol Love it! Pure Lois.

Do you have anything else lurking on your hard drive? smile

Caroline

#49259 01/25/08 08:37 AM
Eva Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for sharing this story, Elisabeth, I really enjoyed it.

At first, I thought this was Clark's first day at the Daily Planet and the first time he met Lois - it's great how you kept that ambiguity in the first two paragraphs.

I actually found the starting point of your A-plot quite interesting, too: I was really interested in what had happened to Edgar's wife and why she left the cult/group.

Your premise about just seeing the aura of superheroes is a great idea: very exciting and would definitely be worth exploring.

Overall, I agree with Caroline: I would love to read more, but it does stand on its own as a vignette.

So thank you for your effort in "reviving" the boards smile and I hope you will find some more stories like this one on your hard drive,

Eva

kill a cliché, save a reader

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard